Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

MembersZone Subscriber

So yes things are rapidly changing, however I just wanted to see if anyone that was called in for documentation in August has received anything in the mail lately (I personally havent).

The DCAS folks at the CPAT Orientation were pretty confident then that Nov 17-21 was blocked off for testing for those folks. Curious if anyone got anything about it or if anyone heard that it was still on.

Forum Member

The firefighting training academy will reduce its program from 23 weeks to 18 weeks to save operational costs. The mayor, who drew criticism when he closed firehouses to save money during his first term, also plans to eliminate nighttime engine companies in five firehouses that also have ladder companies. The move allows those firehouses to stay open but with fewer firefighters at night.
    So... I've seen two newspapers so far that have announced this. Is this true?
    6019 / #22--

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by rdayson View Post
    So... I've seen two newspapers so far that have announced this. Is this true?
    http://www.nyc.gov/html/omb/pdf/agypgm11_08.pdf

You want to look to pages 9 & 10.

Forum Member

So then it is true. When did they extend it from 18 weeks any how? That sure didn't last long....
    6019 / #22--

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by exam6019 View Post
    I don't know, I can't see them hiring 300, 2 classes a year anymore. Attrition rate is barely 300 a year , 100 plus overstaffed everyday as it is and already jan class might only be 200. So can somebody explain how its going to be 300 a class x 2 year???
    hey exam do you ever post anything positive?....come on man you have a good number keep the faith

Forum Member

there were 2 classes that had 23 weeks that graduated already and the current class is now 23 if they are still kepping it like that???? Before the two 23 week classes that graduated already there was one 18 week class and before that they were all 13 week classes

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by mike13310 View Post
    hey exam do you ever post anything positive?....come on man you have a good number keep the faith
    . Mike13310 , I know your right, everyone keeps telling me that. Always been pessimistic , I will definitely try though.

Forum Member

hey guys, just wanted to see if someone has the number for the investigators on hand, i can't remember where i put it and i wanna see what it's looking like for me...sitting at 18xx right now and just waiting. done everything except the psych.

Forum Member

people must stop coming on here and ask questions without reading the posts before. YES it is now back to 18 weeks. FFFRED posted the city document that states that it is back to 18
    stop second guessing everyone its all opinion unless its something like FFFRED posted.
    stop trying to figure out ratios from past lists or figuring out how many binders they are ordering. With Bloomburg as mayor and the economic time like they are no one knows anything. Who would have thought they would cancel a PD class just after they signed a contract to boost starting pay to attract candidates
    so everyone must just hold on and wait i know its hard but it does no one any good causong a frenzy
    what should be posted is information on training for the academy for the people low on the list and info on how to pass the other stages of employment just like they were passed on to us by the 2043 guys
    Last edited by matty21; 11-05-2008 at 10:46 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Actually it was the very senior to me FFFRED that posted the city link, but thank you.

matty21 has good advice here. This is new territory for me too, so just try to sit back and ride it out. Easier said than done I'm sure.
    Stay in shape and stay out of trouble.

Hang tough,
    bam

Hey all, im list number 13xx and have finished all testing and even had eye surgery to get on this job. Inestigator told me what others have mentioned as well just keep waiting and my list numer will def be called in.

-third week NOV letters go out

-first week dec run

-first week jan class 09 !

-gluck all else

ps i live east village and always looking for training partnets fitness is my life so if anyone is nearby let me know

Forum Member

Angry

I sent this message to the mayor's office. I'm fairly positive it was a good waste of 7 minutes of my life:

I know for sure this is not actually mike bloomberg reading these emails, but what the hell....I'm gonna refrain from letting loose on you about purchasing your way into a 3rd term. That's another letter for another time. But for those of us trying to get into police and fire, you seem to not be living up to what you said at your little press conference about the economy. So EVERYBODY needs to make some cuts and sacrifices huh? Okay what about you and your cronies. Council members make what, $112,500 a year base pay which they vote on for themselves. Not including the kick backs a good number of them get. And for doing what? Are you kidding me?! Knock them back down to at least $80,000 and MAYBE that will put at least a front up of them doing their share. Thats at least $1,657,500 the city is saving. And don't get me started on the borough presidents. I read that they pull in $160,000 a year. And each one of them has personal drivers, numerous speech writers, etc with their own salaries closing in on $100,000 for some of them. Come on now. The borough president position in itself is not even necessary. Now I don't have any concrete suggestions about how to trim down on your end other than what I stated. That is why I don't want to be a politician. But please, consider how many people are viewing this. I understand this crisis is not your fault, but show some humanity and take a hit with us, your constituents....

Forum Member

Default Chill Out

The easiest way I can put it. Is everyone needs to calm down. Stop speculating on what is going to happen. It is what it is.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

I talked to my investigator today and asked if she received some documents; she said yes and told me that the psych results aren't back yet. I believe I took it a month or so ago, i also asked if i was a Definite for jan 09 and she said it looks very good and to pass the run. I asked her about the possible reduction in class size and she said she hasn't heard anything about it. Stay Confident and Strong Guys Eyes on the Prize!
    list#-12xx
    Last edited by nyfiend455; 11-06-2008 at 07:43 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

One word for you fiend: punctuation.

MembersZone Subscriber

I really wish I took this exam. =(

Forum Member

I talked to someone who cousin's list number is in the 900's and she told me that he was notified that he would be in the next class starting jan 5. My list number is less than 200 spots away from that and i wasn't notified of anything.

I just wanted to know if anyone else heard if candidates were being notified of a start date or anything similar.

Forum Member

Don't mean to change the crisis topic even though i, like eveyrone else am going crazy about everything. but I was just curious for the people with shine splints how to do you guys work through them cause i just started getting them and DAM they are not fun. I know its been posted before how to try to heal them but i want to know how you guys work through them more than heal em. Any info would be great.
    List # 13**

Forum Member

Shin splints is a general term for "shin pain". There can be many reasons that cause the shin splints, depending on what your pain symptoms are. They can be caused by stress fractures, compartment syndrome (can get very very bad if you try to work through it), or myofascial trigger points, etc.

To see if it is a stress fracture, you can do a simple test, but you need a tuning fork. Hit it with the metal bar so it vibrates and press it against your shin bone, towards the bottom near your ankle. If it hurts like hell, it could be a micro fracture.

If it is compartment syndrome, it will continue to hurt even after you stop running, and your feet/toes might feel numb. Swelling usually accompanies it too. It is hard to tell if it is compartment syndrome, and you might need to go to a doctor to see if it is. Not trying to scare you or anything, but hopefully it is not this.

Fortunately, myofascial trigger points is the most common and easily treatable cause of shin splints, in addition to many other muscular aches and pain in your body, including shoulder pain and "rotator cuff problems". To test if it is this causing your pain, simply take a lacrosse ball (or tennis ball, or simply your thumb supported with your other hand) and press it firmly against your tibialis anterior muscle (pretty much in the front part of your shin), mainly the top third 2 or 3 inches below your knee. Use firm pressure and roll it up and down. If it doesn't hurt try different spots on the muscle. If you find a spot that hurts (it could hurt like hell), massage it with the ball in one direction for 30-45 seconds. Repeat this 5-6 times/day.

If anyone needs anymore information or has any other muscular pain problems, feel free to PM me. I'm not claiming to be a doctor or know-it-all or anything. I'm just VERY VERY interested in all aspects of strength and conditioning and being as injury-proof as possible, and have done extensive research and reading on the subjects.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by FDNYUSMC View Post
    The easiest way I can put it. Is everyone needs to calm down. Stop speculating on what is going to happen. It is what it is.
    Your absolutely right sean, my group of guys - #s: 1930-2121 are all on the cusp of the january class according to cpat prep. in addition, after speaking w/ my investigator, I was told, although its not likely our group is in line for January, july is a definite(budget pending) since we are all completing our investigation now. That being said, if you guys are worried at list numbers 1100's to 1800s, just relax, your getting in. (as long as you pass the run)
    if your over these numbers keep training, stay ready. It is what it is.

Thumbs up good one!

good one training hard,

I sent an email to the mayor too, not as good though. Lets hope he reads them.

Forum Member

Ok im not sure the last time the city freezed fire dept hirings but if anyone oes know the last time the FD put on a hiring freeze do u know the highest list number they reached. At first I was thinking i was a lock to get hired with a list number in the high 28xx but now who knows. Just startin to get a little nervous as to whether i will get hired off this list.

Thanks in advance to anyone that posts anything

Forum Member

i had shin pain and what i did was when i was sitting i would sit straight up and raise my toes while keeping my heels on the ground. raise them as high and as often in 60 sec sets my pain went away soon there after

Forum Member

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by I3akdraf View Post
    I talked to someone who cousin's list number is in the 900's and she told me that he was notified that he would be in the next class starting jan 5. My list number is less than 200 spots away from that and i wasn't notified of anything.

I just wanted to know if anyone else heard if candidates were being notified of a start date or anything similar.
    Listen, dispite what your friend may have heard, none of the notifactions have gone out. I spoke to my investigator last week and she told me that they will be sending out just before thanksgiving vaction.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNYUSMC View Post
    Listen, dispite what your friend may have heard, non of the notifactions have gone out. I spoke to my investigator last week and she told me that they will be sending out just before thanksgiving vaction.
    same thing talked to my investigator today and he said the run is the 7th and processing is the 15th or 16th. if someone get a date for processing can you please post it if it is a certain day i got to move some things around

Thread Information