Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

Forum Member

this thread is giving me an ulcer.

Forum Member

johhnyboy this thread is giving me an ulcer.

I know what you mean. Im on acid reflux medication. Its getting really close.

Forum Member

I called CID today and spoke to the girl at the main desk. She said that the class is still 300, but before I got off the phone she also said that she said there is a rumor going around that the class is down to 18 weeks and she said that wasn't true. That made me think that since it's on the nyc.gov site that the class is 18 weeks that maybe they did cut back on the class size.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LIfire31 View Post
    I called CID today and spoke to the girl at the main desk. She said that the class is still 300, but before I got off the phone she also said that she said there is a rumor going around that the class is down to 18 weeks and she said that wasn't true. That made me think that since it's on the nyc.gov site that the class is 18 weeks that maybe they did cut back on the class size.
    i just threw up a little

Forum Member

I hate coming on this tread because i'm afraid of what i might read. But its like when someone says dont look down and you look anyway.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nyfiend455 View Post
    i also just heard from a candidate in another forum, that he contacted his investigator on wednesday. He confirmed that the academy is down to 18 weeks but said the total to go in is 300!
    Just curious, what other forum are you refering too?

Also agreeing with everyone about this thread and this whole situation stressing me out. I don't know about you guys, but I check this thread like 10 times/day.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hopefully09 View Post
    Thirding that the thread is giving me an ulcer.

I think this thread gave me an ulcer.

Forum Member

Default class size

If the class size a hundred then why do they continue to process packets. I would assume this process is expensive and the CPAT is only good for one year. I think the rumors are getting out of control.

I know its not easy but you got to figure there is nothing that anyone of us can do so the best thing to do is to try and not worry about it. I was planning on going in july 2010 and im 4000's. Now I just figure ill be happy to get an offer and am pursuing a job with the only department i would rather work for. Would love a job with FDNY but don't really like big city life. A lot of fire, true, but do you live to work or work to live?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by coooGy View Post
    Just curious, what other forum are you refering too?

Also agreeing with everyone about this thread and this whole situation stressing me out. I don't know about you guys, but I check this thread like 10 times/day.
    the fdny rant

Forum Member

Cut Some Engine Co. Shifts

The Fire Department will eliminate night-time shifts at five engine companies in firehouses where ladder companies will remain fully staffed. Fire Commissioner Nicholas Scoppetta said he would select engines in primarily industrial neighborhoods because they are quieter at night. The training academy for probationary firefighters will be reduced from 23 weeks to 18 weeks. "We don't plan on postponing hiring right now; we plan on going ahead with the class," Mr. Scoppetta said.
    Night Closings, Training Cuts Hit by Fire Unions; Cite Safety Risks
    By ARI PAUL
    For the Uniformed Fire Officers Association, Mayor Bloomberg's announcement Nov. 5 that the Fire Department would eliminate five night tours for engine companies in unnamed commercial areas was a bad idea two decades ago and it's a bad idea now.

JOHN J. McDONNELL: Bad idea then and now.

"It sounds like they've dusted off an old plan," said UFOA President John J. McDonnell after the Mayor's announcement, which included news of layoffs in other agencies and major spending reductions to address the city's budget woes.

Reducing Training By 5 Weeks

The FDNY will also reduce costs by rolling back a recent advancement the Mayor previously boasted of: there will now be 18 weeks of training for Probationary Firefighters rather than 23.

Uniformed Firefighters Association President Steve Cassidy protested both the canceling of the five night tours and the reduction in training.

"Any cuts to the operational side of the Fire Department will jeopardize civilian and firefighter lives," he said in a statement.

STEVE CASSIDY: Cuts 'will jeopardize lives.'

Mr. McDonnell, a Battalion Chief, said that the original plan eliminating night tours in some areas never came to fruition because the department believed then that it would have a negative impact on firefighter and civilian safety. It was a gamble, he insisted, to deprive a commercial area of protection just because it had a history of low need for FDNY response at night.

"We anticipated that there would cutbacks within the Fire Department; however it was our hope that unit closures would not be part of the plan," he said, adding that he was surprised by the announcement.

Plan to Propose Alternatives

Mr. McDonnell noted that he the union's board will accept an invitation from Mr. Bloomberg to provide alternative solutions to save money that would avoid operational reductions.

Fire Commissioner Nicholas Scoppetta, standing with the Mayor during his budget announcement last week, said that the change would not eliminate any jobs with the FDNY, but would reduce overtime.

Sally Regenhard of the Skyscraper Safety Campaign said that the city should look to cut other agencies before it considers trimming operations at the Fire or Police Departments. But she also believed the city could look to charitable organizations such as the Association for a Better New York to fund budget shortfalls in the FDNY.

"The Fire and Police Department operations should be the last thing that really should be cut," she said.

Forum Member

Thats not good news Queens, from the sounds of things the cutbacks are just beginning. Hopefully though, anymore won't be at the expense of the fire or police department.

Forum Member

Default Tragedy For Fdny Cadet

Comments: 0 Read Comments Leave a Comment By MURRAY WEISS
    Posted: 3:34 am
    November 11, 2008

An FDNY cadet yesterday collapsed during a routine drill at the Fire Academy on Randalls Island and remained in a coma fighting for his life last night, authorities said.

The unidentified 33-year-old Bronx probie - a Navy vet who is married to a city cop - was rushed to Mount Sinai Hospital at about 11:30 a.m. after an 18-minute drill.

Hope he makes a speedy recovery, God Bless

Forum Member

Unhappy

Jeez that's horrible.....hope he's alright.

Forum Member

God Bless him and his family.

I pray that he may have a swift and full recovery.

Forum Member

Default FDNY Proby hurt during routine drill

I heard about this earlier in my firehouse and was told this young man who has had harder training than the training he was doing while he collapsed is in very bad shape. A source of mine told me he is internally bleeding and bleeding out of his mouth from his insides. I was told to pray for him as this is a very uncommon thing to happen at the academy, especially this late in the academy. All of you training, remember if/when you get into the academy, that this is not a joke, nor is this job a joke. Dont do it cause of the women or to be labeled as a firefighter, Do it cause you want the job as it is a part of your life. The Firehouse is your home away from home. Im married 5 yrs and have known that a Firefighter is what I wanted to be as a little boy..Everyday when i leave my house, I wish and hope that at the end of every tour, I will be coming home to my wife. My Father worked in Brooklyn and at least once a week, I would spend a couple of hours during a tour hangin with my dad and goin on runs with him. Of course this cant happen anymore with all the regulations and all that are with the job now. Just remember to all be safe with this job and no matter where you turn up after the academy, the firehouse you guys work at is the best firehouse in the world! Take care of eachother like a family as all are your family for the next 20yrs or so.

Again, all say a prayer for the Probie who went down in training, from what I hear, he was a tough dude so look at it and know that it could happen to anyone of us.

Good luck all

MCR

MembersZone Subscriber

We don't know the circumstances yet, but it also reminds us that depsite how much pain we are willing to work through, you must also listen to your body.

In training for the academy, in the academy and in general life, listen to your body.

Let's all hope he makes it through this.

Forum Member

Lets pray he pulls through.

I just wanted to wish my fellow Marines a Happy 233rd Birthday, and Happy Veterians Day to all who have served.

Forum Member

Keep him in your prayers.

everyone, please pray tonight for a brother who needs all the strength you can send him. he is a good, good man with a family who wanted this job more than anything. he deserves so much more than what he has been dealt.

i was at the hospital all day, right from the parade, and i've never known exhaustion like this. feeling nothing but unrelenting frustration, rage, and grief for ten hours straight.

it's one thing to face a situation like this on the job, but to be confronted with tragedy of this magnitude, while still in the Academy... it's a hurt almost too much to bear. i didn't think i'd have to be faced with the possibility of, God forbid, attending a friend's... i won't even say it- before i even f##king graduate.

it's not fair. it's not right. and it hurts like hell.

again, i ask you for your prayers. and to remember the things that truly matter. it's amazing how many things we think are important, really aren't.

Forum Member

that's not good news, hope for a full recovery.

Forum Member

hopefully a speedy recovery to the proby

if any one calls their investigator wednesday can someone try and get a date for the processing

Default keep him in your prayers

he did collapse and go into respiratory arrest.
    last night at the hospital he went in cardiac arrest and was brought back but now is in organ failure and is on life support. he is a great man from what i have heard from a solid source in class with him. a true friend and good firefighter. pray that he pulls through and his family makes it through this time which is more then tuff

Forum Member
    Last edited by nyfiend455; 11-11-2008 at 08:08 PM.

Forum Member

My condolences to his family...hoping for his quick recovery.
    6019- was sitting at 13xx
    2000- now sitting at 18xx

Forum Member

my thoughts and prayers to the probie and his family.

I haven't talked to my investigator yet, but I'm going to try and get a hold of him tomorrow. I'm trying to find out if my CPAT is coming up, I still haven't gotten a letter. I'm list #20XX.

And on another note. I need a job. bad. Does anyone know of anything? I'm looking everywhere. I currently am staying with a friend in Secaucus NJ, but I'm willing to work anywhere. I have a driver's license, but no car. I've worked construction, home remodeling, shipping & receiving, landscaping, I once even worked at a coffee shop and a pizza place. I know times are tough for everyone right now, but if anyone could point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated. just send me a PM.

Good luck to everyone and hope for the best. Stay safe.

Thread Information