Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 109 of 618 FirstFirst ... 95999106107108109110111112119159209609 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,180 of 12347
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

  1. #2161
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    283

    Default

    Okay, I abbreviated it somewhat. But this is what is gone by at BHS, based on a MAX 20% Body Fat for a given height in inches:
    Height Weight
    66" 196.8
    67 201.6
    68 206.4
    69 211.2
    70 216.0
    71 220.8
    72 225.6
    73 230.4
    74 236.4
    75 242.4
    76 248.4

    If you are over these numbers, you are considered overweight and will need to be under in order to pass the medical.

    (Sorry, it's a little bunched up. It's not taking my formatting.)[/QUOTE]

    there you go


  2. #2162
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    14

    Post

    thanks for the info matty, I've got to lose exactly 1.6 lbs. i think i'll skip the big mac tonight.

  3. #2163
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    72

    Default

    Guys if your weight is off you have 30 days to fix it and come back, if you're more than a few pounds overweight than forget it. They measure around your stomach and neck, take your weight, height and age and give you a BMI and a body fat %, if anything is off they will tell you and you come back within 30 days.

    I was up there the other day, a lot of the guys failed the steps, you cannot fake this ****, you're either in shape or you're not so get outside and run and run fast and get on the steps with a damn vest, if you want the job put in the work. Tired of seeing guys slack off and they claim they want the job, you want it then start earning it.

    EDIT: As far as being underweight I think they're less strict with that, unless you're really far off it shouldn't be a problem. And for the guy who suggests you stick **** in your pocket, I hope you don't get on this job, you're the kind of guy that is going to get us all ****ed up at the rock because you're trying to cut corners and cheat your way through.

    Good luck boys, any ?'s about the med I can try to answer for you.
    Last edited by fdnyjan09; 09-23-2008 at 11:28 AM.

  4. #2164
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    56

    Default

    For those who went down there. Are people's heart rates going over the recommended amount or are people just not able to even complete the stairs?

    Are people being allowed to come back if they cant even complete the 5+ witht he vest? Just curious to see if they give everyone regardless of how or what they fail a chance to come back in 30 days.

  5. #2165
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    75

    Smile

    EDIT: As far as being underweight I think they're less strict with that, unless you're really far off it shouldn't be a problem. And for the guy who suggests you stick **** in your pocket, I hope you don't get on this job, you're the kind of guy that is going to get us all ****ed up at the rock because you're trying to cut corners and cheat your way through.



    Actually i meant that as a joke.....i didnt think someone would actually take that seriously

  6. #2166
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    181

    Default

    If you fail any portion of the medical you get another chance to fix it.
    FDNYJAN09-do youself a favor. Try not to get yourself so upset about what other people are doing. your just going to drive youself nuts. just take it easy. once you get to the rock, then you worry about other people.

  7. #2167
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    72

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MDEL210201 View Post
    For those who went down there. Are people's heart rates going over the recommended amount or are people just not able to even complete the stairs?

    Are people being allowed to come back if they cant even complete the 5+ witht he vest? Just curious to see if they give everyone regardless of how or what they fail a chance to come back in 30 days.
    Heart rates are just too high, and from what I hear with the first shot you don't get any extended time past the 5:12 if you go over your max they just have you come back within 30 days and the second time supposedly they will just keep you on longer if you are at your max or just a couple over.

    If you train properly it's no problem at all, but a lot of guys were saying they haven't been working out, and surprise they are way over the max. Do yourself a favor and run, run and run some more, get on the step mill if you have access if not just find a tall building or stadium or something and climb them steps.

  8. #2168
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    75

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fdnyjan09 View Post
    Heart rates are just too high, and from what I hear with the first shot you don't get any extended time past the 5:12 if you go over your max they just have you come back within 30 days and the second time supposedly they will just keep you on longer if you are at your max or just a couple over.

    If you train properly it's no problem at all, but a lot of guys were saying they haven't been working out, and surprise they are way over the max. Do yourself a favor and run, run and run some more, get on the step mill if you have access if not just find a tall building or stadium or something and climb them steps.
    when you say workout , do you mean like actually lift weights or are you talking more along the lines of cardio and calisthenics

  9. #2169
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GettinReady6019 View Post
    when you say workout , do you mean like actually lift weights or are you talking more along the lines of cardio and calisthenics
    CARDIO. From what I've come to understand, lifting weights for strength gains is next to meaningless in the academy-endurance is another story. Concentrate on running, push ups, pull ups, sit ups, and stair-climbing.

  10. #2170
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    246

    Default psych

    Anybody on here who has or know anybody who has failed the psych, or had problems with it? I have completed and basically passed everything except for the psych and I haven't heard anything back from them yet. I don't think I should have anything to worry about, but I am just curious as to hear what some other people have gone though regarding the psych. For anyone who has passed it, how and when did you find out?

  11. #2171
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    181

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GettinReady6019 View Post
    when you say workout , do you mean like actually lift weights or are you talking more along the lines of cardio and calisthenics
    there are 3 things you should be doing:
    1-you need to run for about 40min in your target heart rate. If it goes too high then slow down to get it back into range.
    2-run sprints. 5 or 6 50 to 100 yard. just run full out dont worry about what your heart rate is.
    3-Stairs for 8 to 12 min. with a wieghted vest.

    alternate distance and sprint days. and fit the stairs whenever you can. take atleast one day off per week. I wouldnt worry about wieght training right now.

  12. #2172
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    75

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDNYUSMC View Post
    there are 3 things you should be doing:
    1-you need to run for about 40min in your target heart rate. If it goes too high then slow down to get it back into range.
    2-run sprints. 5 or 6 50 to 100 yard. just run full out dont worry about what your heart rate is.
    3-Stairs for 8 to 12 min. with a wieghted vest.

    alternate distance and sprint days. and fit the stairs whenever you can. take atleast one day off per week. I wouldnt worry about wieght training right now.
    and how do i know what my target heart rate is ? because when i run, i just run.....i do about 2 miles a day 6 days / week...a few wind sprints here and there plus stairs for like 15 min a day with a 35lb vest on

  13. #2173
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    72

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GettinReady6019 View Post
    when you say workout , do you mean like actually lift weights or are you talking more along the lines of cardio and calisthenics
    The other guys hit it on the head, cardio, cardio and more cardio. Being strong is nice but it's no good to you if you can't keep your heart rate down and if you have no endurance.

    I spoke to guys who told me they haven't even began training, yet they're anticipating Jan class!! That's just insane, you should already be in great shape and maintaining, for those who are processing for July you still have time just have to dedicate yourself.

    Go with a program like FDNYUSMC posted, there are some others posted in this long thread just search in it. If you're lifting any weights make it light weights for 20+ reps, one set and move to another workout for a different muscle, do your entire body this way with no rest between sets, rest once you've done the entire body. It helps your muscular stamina which you will also need but the cardio is top priority along with push-ups, sit-ups and your basic calisthenics because they will be done in proby school a lot also from what I've been hearing.

  14. #2174
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    785

    Default

    Bloomberg sent letters to ALL city agencies ordering budget cuts. NYPD is ordered to cut 90+ million, and FDNY is like 33+ million I think. I know this whole conversation has been had a few times already, but they were talking on the news about it today and now its weighing on my mind. Any thoughts if this will affect hiring? Calm, you might be able to know better than some others on here. I know all we can do is keep training, live your life, stay outta trouble, and see what happens. But doggone it.....

    24xx, no packet yet

  15. #2175
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GettinReady6019 View Post
    and how do i know what my target heart rate is ? because when i run, i just run.....i do about 2 miles a day 6 days / week...a few wind sprints here and there plus stairs for like 15 min a day with a 35lb vest on
    your target heart rate is 220 - your age, as stated many times before in this thread. Buy a cheap pulsar heart monitor (http://www.polarusa.com/us-en) to monitor yourself, it is the same kind they use at the medical.

    Three days a week I was running 3 miles at about an 8:15 pace. Two days a week I was running a set of stairs in a nearby park with about 90 steps sprinting up and walking down 10 times in about 11 - 12 minutes followed by a 1.5mile run in about 11 mins. I also lift weights 4 days a week mainly high reps, and do pull ups and push ups.

    I also eliminated coffee and booze for the week leading up to the medical. And I am not overweight at all and always eat healthy.

    I passed the stairs on the first time, but only by a few beats.

    http://www.tunneltotowersrun.org/ good run for a good cause
    Last edited by LongCut; 09-24-2008 at 09:45 PM.

  16. #2176
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GettinReady6019 View Post
    and how do i know what my target heart rate is ? because when i run, i just run.....i do about 2 miles a day 6 days / week...a few wind sprints here and there plus stairs for like 15 min a day with a 35lb vest on
    at what level do you train on the stairs with the vest?

  17. #2177
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    153

    Default

    If people are looking around at what other people are doing, here's what I've been doing.

    CrossFit training, 4-5 times a week

    In addition to CrossFit, I will also do the following during any given week.

    Running 3-5 miles, 1-2 times a week
    Stepmill 50 lb vest + 25ish lb in weights 10-15 minutes, 1-2 times a week
    Biking 12 miles once a week

    and am also Biking at least 4 miles every weekday

  18. #2178
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    75

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LongCut View Post
    your target heart rate is 220 - your age, as stated many times before in this thread. Buy a cheap pulsar heart monitor (http://www.polarusa.com/us-en) to monitor yourself, it is the same kind they use at the medical.

    Three days a week I was running 3 miles at about an 8:15 pace. Two days a week I was running a set of stairs in a nearby park with about 90 steps sprinting up and walking down 10 times in about 11 - 12 minutes followed by a 1.5mile run in about 11 mins. I also lift weights 4 days a week mainly high reps, and do pull ups and push ups.

    I also eliminated coffee and booze for the week leading up to the medical. And I am not overweight at all and always eat healthy.

    I passed the stairs on the first time, but only by a few beats.

    http://www.tunneltotowersrun.org/ good run for a good cause
    just signed up for the tunnel to towers run the other day for this sunday....anybody else?

  19. #2179
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    73

    Lightbulb

    Hiring was goin to slow down anyway following jan 300 plus class. With class sizes being smaller in the future; roadrunner your definitely going to make summer of 09 class. You have no worries. =roadrunner09;991915]Bloomberg sent letters to ALL city agencies ordering budget cuts. NYPD is ordered to cut 90+ million, and FDNY is like 33+ million I think. I know this whole conversation has been had a few times already, but they were talking on the news about it today and now its weighing on my mind. Any thoughts if this will affect hiring? Calm, you might be able to know better than some others on here. I know all we can do is keep training, live your life, stay outta trouble, and see what happens. But doggone it.....

    24xx, no packet yet[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by exam6019; 09-25-2008 at 10:20 AM.

  20. #2180
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    181

    Default Training

    I would like to pass some words of wisdom to some of you. As a US Marine I train hard. The one thing that we never do is quit no matter what. So what I will say to all of you is not to quit. If you are on a run and you get that little pain in your side or you feel a bit winded, suck it up and keep going. If your on the stairmaster and you legs start to tire, dig deep and keep going. We have a saying in the Corps. "Pain is weakness leaving the body". And it is just that. The harder you push yourself now, the easier its going to be later.
    Last edited by FDNYUSMC; 09-25-2008 at 06:28 PM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. FDNY Test 6019-Union Square Protest
    By exp1isastreet in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-26-2010, 10:31 PM
  2. List #6019
    By ffbam24 in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 03-30-2008, 08:59 PM
  3. FDNY List #6019
    By MailBox123 in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-22-2007, 06:54 PM
  4. FDNY Exam #6019????
    By HouyBoy in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-11-2007, 10:50 AM
  5. FDNY Exam #6019-John Jay College Forum
    By exp1isastreet in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-22-2007, 03:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts