Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

MembersZone Subscriber

The only place I've heard of the 100-150 number for January so far has been this board. I spoke with my investigator today around 3 pm. He said he had not been told of any decrease for the upcoming class and that I should get a letter still. My list number is 16xx. I spoke to a mentor who teaches at the Rock (also teaches CFR to probies) and he hadn't heard of that number yet either.

The rumor I heard was that they would be placing 100-150 probies in the June Class and classes after that.

So hopefully, January goes off as planned...

Forum Member

Default Fdny

The only thing i believe is that the academy is down from 23 weeks to 18 weeks because they announced that on the news, it was in the newspapers.
    Until I see it printed in the paper or guys get the letters for the run then it is just a rumor that the class will be 100-150. Hopefully they keep it 300 probies for JAN 2009.

Forum Member

Default The run

Hey guys,

Did the run tonight on the rock...if i did it right, i noticed two things.

First, the run felt quick and short, its over before you know it. Dont pace. PUSH.

Second, the cold has a big effect. It makes you want to run slower. On the treadmill i've been running 1.5 in around 9:30 no problem, barely a sweat. I ran the central park reservoir last night in a crappy 11 minutes, and the run tonight in about the same (my watch clicked off mid run so i dont know exactly).

My point is, there are a lot of variables we cant control here...esp this 100-150 thing. We can control the run, though. We can control it by getting out there and running it. This is the only weather and the only track our times matter on. More people are gonna fail this time than last because of the cold weather, guaranteed.

Lets beat the $%# out of this run. All of us.

Me and a buddy are going tomorrow night again if you guys wanna do it a couple times with us. Id love to have some company. I put my phone number in my last post.
    Last edited by aal2016; 11-18-2008 at 10:00 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by flatbush157 View Post
    The only place I've heard of the 100-150 number for January so far has been this board. I spoke with my investigator today around 3 pm. He said he had not been told of any decrease for the upcoming class and that I should get a letter still. My list number is 16xx. I spoke to a mentor who teaches at the Rock (also teaches CFR to probies) and he hadn't heard of that number yet either.

The rumor I heard was that they would be placing 100-150 probies in the June Class and classes after that.

The only place I have heard of 150 was this board as well, that's why I called my investigator this afternoon. I spoke with her around noon and she told me it was gonna be 100-150. I have no reason to lie about this and I doubt you would as well. Believe me, I hope they go well beyond 1600 for this class, but I guess all we can do is wait and see. I find it hard to believe my investigator would tell me she was told this if she wasn't.

my addiction to this board is going to make me go bald.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by LongCut View Post
    The only place I have heard of 150 was this board as well, that's why I called my investigator this afternoon. I spoke with her around noon and she told me it was gonna be 100-150. I have no reason to lie about this and I doubt you would as well. Believe me, I hope they go well beyond 1600 for this class, but I guess all we can do is wait and see. I find it hard to believe my investigator would tell me she was told this if she wasn't.

my addiction to this board is going to make me go bald.
    I agree, I don't think either investigator would like. I didn't mean to insinuate that your investigator was lying. I don't think she would either. I just know what mine told me, so I was sharing. So... really, who knows.

I've been told a lot to not listen to anyone until things actually happen, because with this City, you never know what will happen until it actually does.

Forum Member

Default run

Quote Originally Posted by aal2016 View Post
    Hey guys,

Did the run tonight on the rock...if i did it right, i noticed two things.

First, the run felt quick and short, its over before you know it. Dont pace. PUSH.

Second, the cold has a big effect. It makes you want to run slower. On the treadmill i've been running 1.5 in around 9:30 no problem, barely a sweat. I ran the central park reservoir last night in a crappy 11 minutes, and the run tonight in about the same (my watch clicked off mid run so i dont know exactly).

My point is, there are a lot of variables we cant control here...esp this 100-150 thing. We can control the run, though. We can control it by getting out there and running it. This is the only weather and the only track our times matter on. More people are gonna fail this time than last because of the cold weather, guaranteed.

Lets beat the $%# out of this run. All of us.

Me and a buddy are going tomorrow night again if you guys wanna do it a couple times with us. Id love to have some company. I put my phone number in my last post.
    My advice to everyone doing the run is to warm up. You should always warm up but especially in the cold weather. You want to work up a sweat and be sweating at the start. Inexperienced runners are always afraid of doing this because they feel they are drawing down on their "tank" but this is not the case. to warm up i would suggest running the course right before at a little faster pace than talking speed and then doing sprints right before. The time is easy to beat and you all know exactly what you have to do. If you can't do it now what makes you think you will be able to do it race day. I am sure nobody who reads this thread regularly is in danger of this however because everyone seems super dedicated. Just thought i would throw out some advice from a runners perspective.

Forum Member

wow with all these rumors one of them has got to be right...all the sudden scores in the 2000's dont look so safe.damn

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by flatbush157 View Post

Hey, Flatbush157. Your post has given all of us a ray of hope, but Longcut's investigator's news has dimmed the light a bit. I, and I'm sure a lot of the current posters on this forum, will try to get a hold of our investigators by the end of this week to get any update we can. Let's keep hoping fellas.
    6019- was sitting at 13xx
    2000- now sitting at 18xx

Forum Member

Exclamation

Everyone who hasn't gotten in touch with your investigator recently PLEASE DO SO!

I tried today but as usual no answer from him, I'll keep trying and eventually he will pick up or be around.

The more info we can get on this rumor the better hopefully it will still be 300.

Hey can someone do some speculative calculations to see what # it would get up to?

Forum Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by nyfiend455 View Post
    Hey can someone do some speculative calculations to see what # it would get up to?
    Heck yeah, I love calculations.

100 Man Class @ 3.94 list numbers/ Academy Cadet: List # 1281

150 Man Class @ 3.94 list numbers/ Academy Cadet: List # 1478

3.94 is the ratio from class 02-08

100 Man Class @ 2.15 list numbers/ Academy Cadet: List # 1102

150 Man Class @ 2.15 list numbers/ Academy Cadet: List # 1209

2.15 is the overall ratio from the previous list.

100 Man Class @ 3.05 list numbers/ Academy Cadet: List # 1192

150 Man Class @ 3.05 list numbers/ Academy Cadet: List # 1344

3.05 is the ratio when you average together 3.94 and 2.15.

Good call about this forum being like a booze addiction, i couldnt agree more.

Forum Member

Default speculation

hey guys, im just as guilty as the next guy for crunching numbers and doing all that ****e. I check this stupid forum like 3 times a day and my number is 4400. I wasn't all that amped about fdny but have psyched myself up thinking i was gonna get a job at a department that has a lot of work. Best thing to do is try to not think about it. Im trying to ween myself of this f-ing forum as it is like crack, along with facebook. I know everyone needs to do long term planning, myself included, but try and go about your normal lives and keep a positive attitude. For the guys up around my number i would say plan for the worst and hope for the best. I know i probably haven't said anything really groundbreaking here but i thought id float a reminder out.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hopefully09 View Post
    Hey, I know this is a little in advance but would a couple of guys be interested in running the course either the friday or saturday after thanksgiving? Maybe if we even have a time as a group we could shoot for I am running 1.5 mile right now at about 10:30 but I would like to be under 10. Let me know what you guys think.
    I'm game for a group run just let me know what day and what time and where you would like to meet up.

hey guys where is the run exactly at the rock? ive been there several tumes but no one mentioned a specific place for it.

and yes i check this often daily hoping the class is 300 because im sitting at 13xx

and to all the rest keep running

Forum Member

nice job sleepy i knew you wouldn't be able to resist

- 12xx

Forum Member

anyone have th number for the investigators on hand, can't rememeber where i put it.

Forum Member

I keep deleting this page from my bookmarks and swear to never return............................but somehow it keeps on re-appearing????? Several times per day????????

I'm starting to think that even the investigators don't know what is going on. They just tell people what they've heard, but no definites yet.

Forum Member

I'm down for a group run next weekend. Hopefully my ankle should be fine by then and I can still rock this run. Just post a date and time.

Forum Member

Hey fellas. I just spoke with my investigator and he's confirmed that the next class will consist of 150 candidate and that the letters will be sent out next Wednesday, 11/25. I asked him if I'd be getting the letter and he said he really didn't know and told me to call back next Wednesday. Damn, I don't feel too good...
    6019- was sitting at 13xx
    2000- now sitting at 18xx

Forum Member

so iam guessing that the academy will be doing 2classes of 150 for 3months then closing for three to save money and hopefully open for three rite? there is no way it could keep rollong along at 100-150 candidates every or 4 months

Forum Member

does anyone care to speculate how high this list will go before expiring? iam gonna say 4000ish like all the previous lists

Forum Member

wasn't a budget already alloted for the January 2009 class before budget cuts? If that is the case, wouldn't they go ahead with the 300 since it was already in budget and then cut back on future classes?

Forum Member

Listen guys waiting and wondering will drive you nuts. Believe me I was in the same position prior to last year when my number was called. I was in the 4100's and did the same thing (checked the boards 10 times a day) for 4 years. I will tell you there are going to be classes where the numbers DO NOT move like you think they will. Deferals is a big part of the process. Just because they are flying through numbers does not mean that guys are being disqaulified. People have their reasons why they defered a class. I had a guy in my squad who was ranked less then 1,000 and he was in with guys in the 4,000 range.You gotta keep your head up and workin out to stay in shape. There will be more classes in the future. The holidays are coming up take time and enjoy them. Wondering and worrying will not change anything. No one can tell you what number they will reach for this class (not even your investigator) because they have NO clue until they are told. Then they see who defers it from that point.

Forum Member

myles, the academy is still 4.5 months so would they do 9 months of academy and stop for 3 months or take 6 week breaks. the point of the shortened academy is to reduce overhead which doesn't happen unless they get those instructors off the rock and back into houses

the other thing about the budget is that it does not run in calender years..i think the NYC fiscal year is July- June

Thats a problem because although the January class would be part of this years budget the next class would be part of next years budget which isn't released until the spring
    the last thing to consider is the cost that this lawsuit might cost them. The Vulcan's want money and blacks to be hired retroactively does keeping the list going save them money by hiring more minorities and avoid havening to pay back pay and legal fees? who knows
    Just some food for thought

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by matty21 View Post
    the other thing about the budget is that it does not run in calender years..i think the NYC fiscal year is July- June

the last thing to consider is the cost that this lawsuit might cost them. The Vulcan's want money and blacks to be hired retroactively does keeping the list going save them money by hiring more minorities and avoid havening to pay back pay and legal fees? who knows
    Budgets mean nothing when no money is actually coming in.

The speculation that "the vulcans want money and blacks to be hired retroactively" is a broad and would also assume to be an unsubstantiated statement.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by aal2016 View Post
    Did the run tonight on the rock...
    ...the cold has a big effect. It makes you want to run slower. On the treadmill i've been running 1.5 in around 9:30 no problem, barely a sweat. I ran the central park reservoir last night in a crappy 11 minutes, and the run tonight in about the same (my watch clicked off mid run so i dont know exactly)...
    Running outside and on a treadmill can be drastically different. You need to get outside to run.
    The only thing you can really do to replicate running outside while on the treadmill is putting the incline to a 1-2% grade. This helps your legs exert the energy they normally would while outside.
    You need to get outside to run.

Thread Information