Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by nyfiend455 View Post
    Everyone who hasn't gotten in touch with your investigator recently PLEASE DO SO!

I tried today but as usual no answer from him, I'll keep trying and eventually he will pick up or be around.

The more info we can get on this rumor the better hopefully it will still be 300.

Hey can someone do some speculative calculations to see what # it would get up to?
    Yes! Everyone incessantly call your investigators! They aren't busy with oh say....BACKGROUND INVESTIGATIONS and are purposefully screening every single call to mess with you!
    Good idea!

NOT!

It's good to be in touch with your investigator, but you DO NOT need to call to confirm every single rumor that floats through here.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by aal2016 View Post
    Second, the cold has a big effect. It makes you want to run slower. On the treadmill i've been running 1.5 in around 9:30 no problem, barely a sweat. I ran the central park reservoir last night in a crappy 11 minutes, and the run tonight in about the same (my watch clicked off mid run so i dont know exactly).
    Agreed...I just learned this ugly lesson myself. When I timed my mile and a half run about 3 weeks ago, it was close to 60 degrees outside and I finished it in 9:55. I just got back from running 5 minutes ago and was surprised to find that I had lost nearly a minute and half on my time. Finished in 11:15 and was sucking wind. The cold is gonna have a HUGE effect on all of our times so i advise everyone to start seriously upping their mileage each week up until the run. I'm probably gonna take about 4-5 days off before the run to allow myself to get maximum rest.

Forum Member

Just passed my CPAT today.

I've been running on the mill and outside but it's getting COLD! I'm worried about my lungs getting the pins and needles thing where it feels like my lungs are closing due to the cold air being sucked in quickly, repeatedly. Anyway to combat this?

Forum Member

Question in regards to running the 1.5 mile... Would you recommend starting it out at a sprint and then letting it simmer down to a run or pushing a little past a normal pace and then at the end of the run leaving it all out on the table?... Right now Im running it in just under 12 and I'd like to be more comfortable with my time?.... any advice is welcome

list 15xx

Forum Member

Cool

Damn when this list first came out i was pretty confident that i'd make it being in the 5100's but now after everything thats going on I don't feel the same way guess just gotta keep our heads up guys hope fore the best and worst case scenario when the next test comes around in 2011 be ready for it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jremNY View Post
    Budgets mean nothing when no money is actually coming in.

The speculation that "the vulcans want money and blacks to be hired retroactively" is a broad and would also assume to be an unsubstantiated statement.
    This is not an unsubstantiared statement, this is fact and has been in all the nyc newspapers, the judge sided with the vulcans and bloomberg who thinks the lawsuit is frivolous to begin with, is currently considering options with the NYC legal department on how to come to an arrangement with the vulcans. ($$$ money, and retroactively hiring and retroactive seniority)

Forum Member

City lawyers open talks with Justice Department officials Wednesday in a bid to settle claims that old firefighter exams discriminated against minorities.
    A government suit filed last year in Brooklyn Federal Court contends that written tests in 1999 and 2002 violated the Civil Rights Act. The exams were not "job related," the feds said, and blacks and Hispanics passed them at far lower rates.
    The FDNY offered a new written exam in 2007 but continued until this year to appoint candidates from the eligibility list of one test deemed illegal, the suit says.
    Judge Nicholas Garaufis ordered both sides into court today to try and reach an agreement.
    "A key element of the relief the United States seeks is monetary relief to be awarded to black and Hispanic applicants and firefighters adversely affected," Assistant U.S. Attorney Elliot Schachner wrote in a Nov. 7 letter.
    The city will try to settle the suit even though Mayor Bloomberg has called it "wrong" and once complained to former U.S. Attorney General Alberto Gonzales.
    By reaching a deal, the FDNY would avoid losing in court and having a judge dictate changes in its hiring practices.
    The suit could lead to the retroactive hiring of hundreds of minority candidates who took the questionable tests.
    U.S. Magistrate Judge Roanne Mann, who is overseeing the discussions, denied a request by the firefighters union to participate. The union is worried about seniority issues that could arise as a result of retroactive hiring.
    "We haven't been successful in encouraging a settlement so far, but we'll find out if the winds are changing," said lawyer Richard Levy, who represents the FDNY Vulcan Society of black firefighters.

I was just throwing things out there that I have been seeing in the paper. This could be a factor in the potential hiring of this list. What if tommorow a settlement or judgement comes down saying that they have to hire 500 guys from 99. I would doubt my own chances of getting in. Like anything here take it for what its worth

Forum Member

Default run

fellas,

just want to make sure im doing this right, and i cant seem to find that "mapmyride" link that was up a little while ago...

the run is from the beggining of the gravel path (where the cones are under the overpass), leading right to the bike trail around the water, straight to the turn-around at the bridge, and then back to the cones, yes?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by smokehouse21 View Post
    December 7th---the 1 1/2 mile run

the run will be done all in 1 day...they usually do 50 guys at a time so if there is 100 of you guys...they have 2 runs. for our class they did 4 runs for everyone on 1 day and held another day of runs for ems promos
    Quick question: If about 150 candidates are invited to the run and about 15 don't pass, are another 15 candidates taken to try and fill those roster spots before the first official day of class?

Forum Member

Default elimination run

yeah, that was the point of doing the run before the academy starts, so that they dont have a bunch of drops right after processing and gear is given out, and they give more guys the chance of getting in the academy.

MembersZone Subscriber

Made another call to my investigator this morning.

This is what he said... I am certified to be hired, but they probably will not reach me for January. Quite a difference from a week ago. So, the wait will be a bit longer.

For anyone close like me, keep in mind that we are already qualified to be hired, so, most likely we'll get on eventually. It just will take a little more patience. I also don't feel bad because my mentor waited 8 years to get on to the job and I know of a few others like that. It also gives us more time to train and prepare for the rigors of the academy, finish college, save money and so on.

As for the lawsuit with the US DOJ, my understanding is that they are trying to settle the dispute through financial means, so that the city isn't forced to hire retroactively and so that future hiring isn't dictated by the Feds.

Forum Member

What happens to the people who dont get hired and have completed everything? Is there anything that we have re-take? i.e. Med, psych, CPAT....

Forum Member

I missed being hired off list 2403 by a few hundred numbers, should I start a lawsuit? I didnt study for the test or train hard for the physical and it resulted in me having a ****ty list number. Nobody told me to study or workout. Nobody recruited in my schools. Can I start a lawsuit to be hired off that list? No probably not, I'm white, wrong color. The thought of a lawsuit would actually never enter my head. Call me crazy but I actually waited for the next test and studied and worked out to assure myself a decent list number. Just hearing the possibility of being screwed out of this job because of some retroactive hiring bull**** gets me fired up.

Forum Member

flatbush157, what number range are you?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNYUSMC View Post
    What happens to the people who dont get hired and have completed everything? Is there anything that we have re-take? i.e. Med, psych, CPAT....
    I believe a medical is only good for 1 year. So if you are not hired within that year you would probably have to do the medical over.

Forum Member

fellas,

just want to make sure im doing this right, and i cant seem to find that "mapmyride" link that was up a little while ago...

the run is from the beggining of the gravel path (where the cones are under the overpass), leading right to the bike trail around the water, straight to the turn-around at the bridge, and then back to the cones, yes?
    Hey aal2016,

Below is the link to mapmyrun.com posted at an earlier date by: tcfdDan

http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/united-s...k/353459683257

**Hope this is useful to you.
    FDNY 6019 #9XX

Forum Member

i thought the whole purpose of 6019 was to diversfy the department. i dont understand how retroactive hiring could come into play. if thats the case there are some *** backward decision makers in nyc

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by myles8683 View Post
    i thought the whole purpose of 6019 was to diversfy the department. i dont understand how retroactive hiring could come into play. if thats the case there are some *** backward decision makers in nyc
    Unfortunately I think this is the one problem we can't blame the city for, they are fighting against the Vulcans and the U.S. Dept. of Justice.
    On another note it looks like it's going to be another long 6 months on this list, and even that's no guarantee at 190x.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ajabiggs View Post
    Unfortunately I think this is the one problem we can't blame the city for, they are fighting against the Vulcans and the U.S. Dept. of Justice.
    On another note it looks like it's going to be another long 6 months on this list, and even that's no guarantee at 190x.

Good point man. I gotta tell ya, I am no fan of bloombucks. In fact I pretty much cringe at the sight or sound of him. But he is on the right side of this issue, ironically the one thing I care more about than anything....

24xx and praying to get reached

Forum Member

i guess all we can do is hope for the best.

Forum Member

Default yes

yeah...well we can run too. hope and run.

Forum Member

yeah...well we can run too. hope and run.
    And don't forget stay outta trouble. Cause that would be a real kick in the cajones....

Forum Member

There's no way to figure out defferals for the next class. Does anyone know about how many emts are supposed to be called?

Forum Member

Also, does anyone know how many guys are in the current class?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by shanahan14 View Post
    There's no way to figure out defferals for the next class. Does anyone know about how many emts are supposed to be called?Also, does anyone know how many guys are in the current class?
    i think i heard that there are 290 or 291 currently,
    Less people are probably going to be deferring b/c of our economy/job market, lots of people in nyc are getting laid off, and also the possiblity of the list slowing hiring down, frozen, etc.

Spoke with investigator said letters going out tuesday.
    Last edited by Queens6019; 11-20-2008 at 05:12 PM.

Thread Information