Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 112 of 618 FirstFirst ... 1262102109110111112113114115122162212612 ... LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,240 of 12347
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

Forum Member

Has anyone heard anything about the january class possibly going to 3 months? I heard they might make it 3 months in an effort to make the necessary budget cuts.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ajabiggs View Post
    Were they near 1900 or in the 1900's? I'm right around 1900 and havent heard anything yet.
    I asked 2-3 of the guys there with me that day and they said they were in the mid 1900's.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by coooGy View Post
    GettinReady6019, around what number are you?
    my list number is 20xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by coooGy View Post
    I asked 2-3 of the guys there with me that day and they said they were in the mid 1900's.
    Thanks, I gues I'll call CID and try to find out what's goin' on.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MDEL210201 View Post
    I think they use polar but dont stress the brand...Nike, polar, etc... All will give you the same reading or a beat or two off.

good luck
    What if I use a heart rate moniter that doesn't use the chest strap. Modell"s sells polar and then they have a diff brand which is only a watch and no chest strap.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by QCFRANKC View Post
    What if I use a heart rate moniter that doesn't use the chest strap. Modell"s sells polar and then they have a diff brand which is only a watch and no chest strap.
    the one with the chest strap i believe is much more accurate, plus i know the polar w/ the chest strap is good on all those machines at NYSC, you dont need to wear the watch, it senses the strap and tells you your heart rate on the machine itself...good luck

Forum Member

can anyone recommend a heart monitor brand and or model?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by test6019 View Post
    Has anyone heard anything about the january class possibly going to 3 months? I heard they might make it 3 months in an effort to make the necessary budget cuts.

Not gonna happen

Forum Member

quick question to anyone in the academy right now or anyone who knows anything about it besides the physical aspects is there alot of book work and studying cause i heard they have quizzes like almost everyday or every other day?

Forum Member

yes there is a lot of studying and tests also, you get two probie school manuals (2 huge binders), theres also a lot of classroom,lectures,videos, have to know your knots/ropes etc, if you dont keep your average up (i think failing is 70%) they will terminate you when it comes time. They will send 5-10 or watever it may be probies in a van down to metrotech and will have you resign , Dont be one of those guys 25 years old ballin crying in the van after you just wasted 3 grueling months of your life. They will and do kick probies out for grades, the instructors also meet before doing this and ultimately decide who stays and goes especially if your on the border and just not grasping anything or stick out as a ballbag. Dont count on getting recycled. In the last class they would quiz guys in the morning and if you got it wrong you would have to carry a 50 pound rollup(lengths of 2 1/2" firehose)the whole day.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Queens6019 View Post
    if you dont keep your average up (i think failing is 70%) they will terminate you when it comes time.
    75, but you can also fail out for physical and or practical grades.

Forum Member

just received my letter to report for the psych, oct 18th. list #17XX

Forum Member

Default Running

Does anyone have any good advice for training when it comes to running? What i have been doing is a 40min run everyday in my target heart rate zone, which is roughy 156 to 160 bpm with my heart rate monitor on, it comes out to 3 miles and it feels like im not doing enough.Im hardley breaking a sweat. Is this enough? Or should i be doing more? One of the instructors at the academy told me to do this exercise ,but we talked so fast that i really cant remember if he said anything else. Please, any input would be greatly appreciated on this matter.Thanks fellas

Forum Member

Gettingready, try adding sprints to your running regimen. Like run hard for 30 seconds to a minute and then jog lightly for the next 30 sec-1min. Keep alternating until your target mile/time. I'm sure someone else can expand on this.
    Last edited by My1Goal; 10-03-2008 at 09:13 PM.
    6019- was sitting at 13xx
    2000- now sitting at 18xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by My1Goal View Post
    Gettingready, try adding sprints to your running regimen. Like run hard for 30 seconds to a minute and then jog lightly for the next 30 sec-1min. Keep alternating until your target mile/time. I'm sure someone else can expand on this.
    i forgot to add tha ive been doing those as well in the mix..thanks for the info though..do you think im running enough/hard enough?

Forum Member

Everyone is different. I will say that at our peak thus far, we have been doing 5.5 miles or so at around 8 min/mile, maybe a little bit slower the second half, but if you can do 5-6 miles at an 8 min/mile then the runs should not kill you.
    As for weight training just lots of high rep low weight. We use nothing heavier than 10 lb dumbbells but it can still kick your @$$ when you are doing 70 bicep curls and without a break 50 shoulder presses without a break to 40 tricep extensions to pushups and jumping jacks. So when you are training try to keep as little of a break between your exercises as possible and hold them.
    Practice the plank, crunches, leg raises etc.
    Learn to hold your pushup in the up position. A lot of people that could go out there and bang out 50 pushups quickly have trouble when you slow it down. You need to be able to do pushups on their count, which are slow, not fast. You will also find yourself holding the pushup in the up position for long periods of time when someone screws up (i.e. an extra jumping jack) and has to run around the building.
    The plank is another killer for the core (it feels great though) but just try to practice holding it, I think we have done a 5 minute one before.
    When it comes for things like FST (Functional Skills Training) it is just going to be based off of your overall fitness. There are weight vests at the gym that you can use to practice on the stairs with, but if you stick with the PT regiment and don't square root (meaning not doing the workout and skipping reps cuz you're "too tired") then you will see huge differences in the months that you are there. It is fantastic.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Running Answer

Getting Ready... try doing the same time at 170 bpm or do the same workout for an hour. Don't be afraid to work at 85% of your max heart rate for 45 mins to an hour.

This goes for anyone running. Don't forget to adequately stretch before and after a good run. Also, I would recommend warming up for 5 minutes before stretching.

Good luck people.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Education

For all of you who are set for the next class you need to get your **** in a row and be prepared to put your life on hold for the next 6 months. You are taking on a serious amount of work for the the next six months. If you dont meet the educational standards, hands on standards or the physical standards you WILL be be sent packing. They just fired 5 guys and another 30 or so are on the fence and will get re-evaluated in 4 weeks. If they dont step it up its a ride in the van to Metrotech and dreams shattered after putting in 4 out of 6 months. All the quizes are pretty much straight forward and all the material comes straight out of the proby manuals. No question will be asked that is not found in one of the two books so reading is an essential part to success. That means reading when you get home reading over the weekend and everything else takes a back seat. You have to put in the time to succeed dont be one of those proby's that does only the minimum to succeed because the instructors and DI's will notice it does not go over well. If you have always been a mediocre student you have to pick up your game and work harder. If academics is not your strong point you still have to pass with a 75 and be a hell of a go getter to keep yourself off the chopping block. Work hard and seek as much help as you can. If you have a problem with academics or a hands on topic don't just hope it gets better. Seek out an instructor or a DI and get extra help. If you put in the extra effort everyone will notice and it will go over big.
    My advice is to work hard, harder than you ever worked in your life for six months.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with the poor timid spirits, who know neither victory nor defeat." FDR

Forum Member

Question Residency proof

Question for those who have gone through or are going through the process. Of 3 bills I'm using between cell phone , bank, credit card, I misplaced original credit card statement for the month of Dec 07. However I did make a copy of that statement. I tried to have the credit card company send me the statement again but since I recently closed that account they don't have the original copy to send me. Do you guys think this will be a problem with investigators
    Last edited by exam6019; 10-05-2008 at 12:49 PM.

Forum Member

More than likely if you just have one set of bills for the year you are fine. I had about 3-4 different bills/proof available and they just took one set of bank statements for the year - didn't care about my credit card statements, or cell phone that I had.

Thread Information