Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CalmB4Storm View Post
    Not any more
    I think what Calm means that the salary doesnt transfer over any more, also vacation use to transfer over, they stopped this about 3 years ago. But for 20 year retirement it still counts, not sure if its on the front or back end.

Forum Member

This is the name and the number of the contact down at DCAS. 212-669-7266 and the point of contact is Pat Barksdale. I hope this helps.

Forum Member

Thanks alot FDNYUSMC

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by LongCut View Post
    I didn't think I would be saying this but I may start processing for NYPD now. I cant imagine them not having a large class in july. They have a good enough starting salary now and the time carries over to FD.
    AND as it is right now, anyone coming over from PD starts at the bottom paygrade. The cop with 5 years on that I sat next to on the first day of orientation didn't come back the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by FDNYUSMC View Post
    Hopefully---With your list #, you are deffinatly going to get a letter. I wouldnt sweat it. I envy you. The people who are 1200 and up, probably not going to make it. I just hope that the economy improves and we can go back to buisness as usual.
    I don't think the economy is going to improve any time soon and we are in for some very rough times ahead.
    Keep in mind that the mayor is asking each agency (FD included) to trim their budgets by 2.5% this year AND 5% next year.

Unfortunately I have no inside info other than what's been put out here. All I can say right now is to keep your chins up, stay in shape, stay out of trouble and as always, hang tough.

bam
    Last edited by ffbam24; 11-21-2008 at 09:38 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNYUSMC View Post
    Hopefully---With your list #, you are deffinatly going to get a letter. I wouldnt sweat it. I envy you. The people who are 1200 and up, probably not going to make it. I just hope that the economy improves and we can go back to buisness as usual.
    I'm 200* and I'm just hoping to make it to the June/July class!

Forum Member

still think this list will reach atleast 4000 by 2012...it will just take us all a little longer to get there

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    AND as it is right now, anyone coming over from PD starts at the bottom paygrade. The cop with 5 years on that I sat next to on the first day of orientation didn't come back the next day.
    I understand the pay doesn't carry over, but i believe the time towards retirement does. You start at the bottom pay grade no matter what, so if its gonna be a longer wait than expected it couldn't hurt to work toward your pension.

Forum Member

Default fdny

NYPD & DSNY (SANITATION) time count as up front service towards your 20-year retirement with the FDNY.
    For example if you have 5 years with either job and you go to FDNY then you only have to do 15 years with the FDNY before you can retire.
    You have to start at bottom pay with FDNY no matter what job you come from and you cannot bring seniority with you.

Forum Member

Default prior uniformed service

http://www.ufoa.org/spec_messages/servicecredit.html

The effect of the law is that FDNY members will now receive full service credit as up-front time in the FDNY Retirement System for prior service in the uniformed service of a police, fire, corrections or sanitation department of the City of New York, or any agency or political subdivision or either; as a peace officer pursuant to Section 2.10 of the New York Criminal Procedure Law; as a member of the New York State Policemenís or Firemenís Retirement System; and/or in the title of sheriff, marshal, district attorney investigator or other position designated in the complete list of covered titles listed below.

Forum Member

Unhappy

I am a Firefighter and was at the Rock yesterday (11/21) for training and yes I could confirm that the next class will indeed be 100 probies which is not good for you guys past the 3500 number on the list as the old list 2043 reaced 5600 at 300 a class and at the beginning of that list, the classes were 13 weeks long and they were pumping out classes. Right now with the economy like it is, I will tell you all that deferring this job for any reason is not goin to happen with anyone who gets called. So you guys trying to figure out the ratio's and all that stuff should just throw it all away cause times are tough now and any Joe Shmoe who doesnt even want this job and took the test for the hell of it and scored 98-99 on it is not goin to turn this job down like guys used to do. They are doing this cause the job is flooded in many ways, too many FF's and too many ranks in this city. On an average the city is overstaffed with FF's 175-225 depending on the calander groups, and that is not with the class that is graduating this coming december. Again, nobody burn bridges with your current employer until you are confirmed you will enter the class cause times are tough! Good Luck all!

PS also heard yesterday that the class may go back to 13 weeks after a couple of 18 weeks classes, TO SAVE MONEY not to get more guys in classes, they will continue 2 classes a year at 13 weeks and will use the rock for training FF's like myself not probies the other time the Rock is not in use like they currently do anyway!
    Last edited by 19FDNY77; 11-22-2008 at 09:06 AM.

Forum Member

in regard to deferrals.. if that info is right about 17 from the first class that is not that many. if there was only 17 over 890 numbers how many will there be for the next 200 or so?
    and I agree that more people will be interested in the job now that people have less security at their current jobs but the process is so long so unless you followed through with everything and then turn it down now it not like you can just get to your number and show up
    Last edited by matty21; 11-22-2008 at 11:39 AM.

Forum Member

Granted, you can't get the EXACT number through the calculations (which I am so fond of), I think you can get pretty close.

So I went back and did some more, and this is based off #'s 1-887. This is based on class 02-08 Hiring 315, 90 EMS and 225 of our list with 17 deferrals.

My first factor was 3.94, but when you add in the 17 deferrals (basically as guys who got the job) you get a factor of 3.66.

3.66 x 100 = 366

366 + 887 = 1253

3.66 x 80 = 292.8

292.8 + 887 = 1179.8

Keep in mind that I'm also a guy who took a class in college about how to make numbers say anything you want em to say. And for my own personal sanity I'm trying to keep these numbers 1150 and above. (no offense to anyone above 1151, I hope we all get on the job.)

Forum Member

So if we don't get a letter for this class, do we have to re-do the entire medical or just the stairmaster test?

11xx

Forum Member

Hello gentlemen - just one quick question: so being that my list # is in the low 3300s, when APPROXIMATELY should I expect to enter the academy?? Give or take - thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LIfire31 View Post
    So if we don't get a letter for this class, do we have to re-do the entire medical or just the stairmaster test?

11xx
    Your medical is good for a year i believe, so you'll have to do EVERYTHING over i'm guessing. But from what i heard from my investigator your number being 11xx or so is pretty safe for the Jan class. My number is roughly a 100 counts lower and i went through all the requirements, with the exception of the run, in April with the guys who went in the July class.

Forum Member

so what did you hear from you investigator then?
    Last edited by SleepyHollow; 11-23-2008 at 10:59 AM.

Forum Member

Default uh oh

Hahaha! I feel a whole new set of ratios coming on!

Forum Member

Default FDNY Apparatus accident

Not sure how many of you know at this point but earlier this evening Squad 18 and 12 Truck collided responding to a call in the west village tonight. 12 FF's injured, five were taken to St. Vincents with serious injuries. One of the worst of is reported to be Lt. Adrienne Walsh, who some of you may remember from the C-PAT program at the Rock she personally helped inspire me to push myself a little harder and has been a remarkale member of the FDNY. Lets keep them all in our prayers and hopefully we'll be riding along side them soon.

Forum Member

I'm towards the 1200 mark so it's not looking good for this class.

11xx

Forum Member

[QUOTE=SleepyHollow;1008707]
    Quote Originally Posted by I3akdraf View Post
    But from what i heard from my investigator your number being 11xx or so is pretty safe for the Jan class. QUOTE]

so what did you hear from you investigator then?
    Sorry Sleepy didn't get any number from her for you to crunch but she did say that everyone who completed their requirements back in April but didn't make it into the July class is looking pretty good for the Jan class.
    My number is pretty close to 1100 so thats why i was telling LIfire he's got a really good shot at the Jan class because we have to be less than 110 numbers away from one another, judging from the clues he gave to what range his number is in.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hopefully09 View Post
    in addition to the crash a 5-5-5-5 has been transmitted

what a terrible night
    What is 5-5-5-5?

Forum Member

i didnt finish my processing until may12

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by I3akdraf View Post
    What is 5-5-5-5?

Line of duty death in Staten Island.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LIfire31 View Post
    i didnt finish my processing until may12
    Same here so we're basically on the same boat here. Just hold ya head till the letters go out this week.

Forum Member

RIP Lt Robert Ryan

Found a nice write up about Prob FF Sears.

Family & fellow FDNY probies coping with Jamel Sears' sudden death
    BY PATRICE O'SHAUGHNESSY
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Sunday, November 23rd 2008, 4:00 AM

When Jamel Sears' wife and his Fire Academy classmates first met, it seemed like they already knew each other well because Sears had spoken so often and affectionately of one to the other.

The probationary firefighters knew Sears' two kids ranked at the top of their class in private school, his wife Sherita was an NYPD officer in the South Bronx, the family loved Walt Disney World and Ocean City.

Sherita Sears knew the three probies and her husband had formed the "council," a tight-knit band. Sears' grit helped them get through tough drills, his wit got them in trouble with the instructor.

Sears' cherished family and his adopted brotherhood melded in sadness last week after he died, at 33, during a fire training exercise.

"He was a gentleman, and family meant everything to him," his wife wrote in a tribute. "All he wanted was a secure, successful future for his family."

He was a dad who danced to Hannah Montana tunes with his little girl, Jya, 7, and played NBA Live video games endlessly with his son, Mahlek, 11. He built sandcastles with them.

Sears was the face of the changing FDNY, part of a class that made department history for having the largest number of black, Hispanic, Asian and female probies. More than a third of the 297-member class are minorities.

Sears' death was a sad FDNY milestone. "We never lost a probie in training," Fire Commissioner Nicholas Scoppetta said. "The class was stunned, but none has dropped out. Jamel has been an inspiration to them to continue."

He grew up in the Bronx, attended All Hallows High School and Bronx Community College. His mother, Jonnie June Sears, worked for the Housing Authority. He served in the U.S. Navy and worked in the private sector.

Then, last July 1, Sears was sworn in to the Fire Department.

"He finally got his dream," said Anton Lewis, 33, a family friend. "We didn't see him much after that. He'd be working out. I'd be eating Doritos, he'd eat carrots and peanut butter."

Roll call at the Randalls Island facility is at 6 a.m., but the muscular, mustached Sears would be in a weight vest and air mask and equipment, running up and down the stairs at 5:15 a.m., senior drill instructor Firefighter Robert Derrig said.

"We look for certain qualities - heart, skill, grades, physical fitness," Derrig said. "We look for heart more than anything. He had it, he wanted to be a firefighter for the right reason."

Derrig found out later that Sears impersonated him, much to the probies' delight.

"He'd crack a joke in roll call and keep a straight face, but everyone else laughed and got in trouble," probie Roy Ciofalo said.

In September, Sears marched with pride in the African-American Day Parade in Harlem with other black firefighters, in dress uniform.

"He was so excited, the people were happy to see us, he was smiling," probie Yves Telemaque said.

As part of his training, Sears spent a week at Engine 218 in Bushwick, keeping a journal of copious notes about the runs he went on: a senior citizen's fall, a fire started by food left on a stove.

He fit in with the firehouse culture, made the coffee, stayed beyond his shift.

Sears had truly become a Bravest: The Navy vet proudly pulled the rope on the firefighters' end in a tug-of-war contest with sailors just days before he died.

"In five months, I was closer to him than to a friend of five years," said Telemaque, a pallbearer at Sears' funeral. "It's the strongest bond in my life, this is a brotherhood."

Thread Information