Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 115 of 618 FirstFirst ... 1565105112113114115116117118125165215615 ... LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,300 of 12347
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by QCFRANKC View Post
    what is the best heart rate training zone to work out in to prepare for the medical. Is it 70% - 80% of your max heart rate?
    You should run at 80% of you max. That is what you are being tested for. Now if you fail and have to come back its not the end of the world. I failed it my first time and past my second time. Stay motivated and keep training.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by My1Goal View Post
    I hear that we should be getting our letters for the run in the week of Nov. 17th, and the actual run should be around the second week of December.

P.S. Longcut, when did you call up your investigator regarding the psych? I took it the same day (9/13) and haven't had the chance to called him, yet.
    I called about 2 weeks ago so your results should be in. Did you hear any info on how many letters are being sent out for the run, or about how high on the list they think they will get for the jan class?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNYUSMC View Post
    You should run at 80% of you max. That is what you are being tested for. Now if you fail and have to come back its not the end of the world. I failed it my first time and past my second time. Stay motivated and keep training.

How did you train after your first medical to make sure you would pass the second one?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by QCFRANKC View Post
    How did you train after your first medical to make sure you would pass the second one?
    If you look back at some of my posts. It should be on one of the more recent pages you will see what i did. Its all there. Now when i went back i still went over my heart rate but it wasnt as high as it was the first time. So if it dosent come down DONT FREAK OUT. What they will do is keep you on the Stairs for 8 min so you will do your 5min 12sec then they will make you stay on and additional 2min 48sec. There will be in the doctor in the room with you and he will be watching. He just checked me to make sure that i wasnt going to pass out. While i was on there stairs he was talking to me just to see if i was winded, and he would also tell me to breath. When you get down there, Listen to what the EMTs have to tell you. It is vital. They know what they are talking about. But you MUST RUN. Good luck and train hard. The tread you need is on page 116 and the tread is 2304.
    Last edited by FDNYUSMC; 10-08-2008 at 10:25 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzz2259 View Post
    Not necessarily true. Yes, you are required to be CFR-D qualified, but you get that training while in the Academy and the cost of the course will be deducted from your pay, until the city recoups the full amont.

Gentlemen, please do not lose sleep over this. The city will make sure that you all get the training you need. Read the following, as it may answer your questions.

CFR-D REQUIREMENT:

You will be required to possess Certified First Responder Certification with Defibrillation (CFR-D) by the end of your probationary period. This certification must be maintained for the
    duration of employment.

If you do not possess a CFR-D certificate at the time of appointment, you will be required to obtain the CFR-D certificate by the end of your probationary period. FDNY provides a CFR-D training program during the probationary Firefighter training course at a cost of $775.

Upon successful completion of FDNYís CFR-D course and receipt of your CFR-D certificate, payroll deductions will commence at a rate of $30 per pay period until the total cost is recouped by FDNY. Probationary Firefighters who fail to obtain a CFR-D certificate by the end of their probationary period will be terminated.

SOURCE: http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/downloa...irefighter.pdf

Thanks for clearing that up.

Forum Member

Default medical

[QUOTE=FDNYUSMC;991842]there are 3 things you should be doing:
    1-you need to run for about 40min in your target heart rate. If it goes too high then slow down to get it back into range.
    2-run sprints. 5 or 6 50 to 100 yard. just run full out dont worry about what your heart rate is.
    3-Stairs for 8 to 12 min. with a wieghted vest.

is the target heart rate 85% of your max because that is what it says on the recommended work out they give you if you don't pass the first time. did you train at 80% or 85%?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by exam6019 View Post
    Actually on list 2043 reached list # 5670s and appointed over 2500 before the list expired. Over a 2:1 ratio.
    Where did you get that info from?
    I am going by the fdnys official site.

"The FDNY is appointing from Firefighter List #2043, which was established on May 5, 2004. To date, we have appointed 2242 eligibles from Firefighter List #2043; 302 eligibles entered the August 5, 2007 class. We reached List #4825.5."

So if that last class appointed the302 eligibles, then yes they hired about 2500

I don't think the sire will allow me to post links yet, I will try right under this line.
    http://www.nyc.gov/html/fdny/html/co...s_080106.shtml

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NxtGenProbie View Post
    I live in Parkchester, there is a quarter mile right beind my building that I use. Nice, quiet and private. I want to start increasing my distance gradually so the 1.5 mile will be a piece a cake and so I won't have any issues when its time to start running 5 miles a day. I just turned my PM's on.
    If your up for training on the weekends, I can help you increase your mileage and speed. Also like I mentioned before I usually do my runs at 6am during the week and your welcome to join me. I'm in the Pelham Bay area so its not too far from Parkchester. Let me know if your interested and well go from there.....

Forum Member

Let me tell you something about that PT Instructor; if he were to lose his arms and legs he'd use his teeth to drag himself to the fireground. And I'd follow him in without even a second thought.

Forum Member

I wasnt allowed to go over 174 BPM. That is 80% of my max. That was the range in which i trained. Make sure you run sprints and timed runs. Your timed runs should be at you 80% heart rate. If it goes above, then slow down to bring it back in range. Dont focus on stairs alone, that will not increase your arobic capacity. If you should fail the first time, dont painc. They will give you 30 days for a retake. BUT, you must work your A** off. If you look like your in shape you are going to pass.
    Last edited by FDNYUSMC; 10-09-2008 at 06:01 PM.

Forum Member

Two quick questions:

1. For anyone who's re-scheduled their vision exam. When you call to schedule, do you have to call a while ahead of time to schedule an appointment? And can you pick an approximate time/date or do they choose for you?

2. For anyone who's ever had a broken bone and/or surgery. I need to see their orthopedic to get my wrist checked out (broke it in 2004 and have a screw in it, but 100% back to full strength and rom). Did you need to get a sign off paper from the doctor that performed your surgery or is that not needed? The reason why I ask is because the doctor that did my surgery retired already.

Thanks for any help.

Forum Member

I wasnt allowed to go over 174 BPM. That is 80% of my max. That was the range in which i trained. Make sure you run sprints and timed runs. Your timed runs should be at you 80% heart rate. If it goes above, then slow down to bring it back in range. Dont focus on stairs alone, that will not increase your arobic capacity. If you should fail the first time, dont painc. They will give you 30 days for a retake. BUT, you must work your A** off. If you look like your in shape you are going to pass.
    if you weren't allowed to go over 174bpm then that is 90% of your maximum. So you trained at 90% of your max which is 174bpm or 80% of your max which would be 155bpm?

Forum Member

Isn't 80% of your max about 156? I'm 26 yrs old and that is what it would be for me. 220-26 = 194(maximum). Than multiply that by .8(80%) and you get bout 156. I think 174 is 90%, and that is what you can't go over. I'm not trying to be a know it all, I'm actually trying to make sure I'm going by the right formula and training correctly. Let me know if I'm wrong.....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    Isn't 80% of your max about 156? I'm 26 yrs old and that is what it would be for me. 220-26 = 194(maximum). Than multiply that by .8(80%) and you get bout 156. I think 174 is 90%, and that is what you can't go over. I'm not trying to be a know it all, I'm actually trying to make sure I'm going by the right formula and training correctly. Let me know if I'm wrong.....
    when i was training i was bringing my heart rate right to 175 which was my max allowed for the stairs. I passed the first time. No pain no gain, bust your *** and you will be fine.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by coooGy View Post
    Two quick questions:

1. For anyone who's re-scheduled their vision exam. When you call to schedule, do you have to call a while ahead of time to schedule an appointment? And can you pick an approximate time/date or do they choose for you?

2. For anyone who's ever had a broken bone and/or surgery. I need to see their orthopedic to get my wrist checked out (broke it in 2004 and have a screw in it, but 100% back to full strength and rom). Did you need to get a sign off paper from the doctor that performed your surgery or is that not needed? The reason why I ask is because the doctor that did my surgery retired already.

Thanks for any help.
    That's funny actually because I have to go back for the same exact 2 things. I just called up today and basically they just gave me a couple of days to choose from and I picked one, they told me I can come anytime between 07:30-15:00. It's not really an exact appointment, they just tell you what days are good and you tell them what day you will make it up on, you just go up and hand in the paperwork and re-take the vision or anything else you need to re-take.

As for the surgery you need to go to the hospital which you had the surgery and go to the medical records office, tell them you need the operative report on your surgery, you'll fill out some papers and they can mail it to you or you can come pick it up when ready.

Just bring that in with you and I guess we'll just see the orthopedic, they'll check out the x-ray we had, the op report and probably have you do some push-ups and bend it a few directions, etc.

I'm going up next week so if you want to know more shoot me a PM, did you go up for your initial med already?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LongCut View Post
    when i was training i was bringing my heart rate right to 175 which was my max allowed for the stairs. I passed the first time. No pain no gain, bust your *** and you will be fine.
    I second this, I passed first time and all I did was break my ***. Don't keep staring at your HR and trying to keep it at an exact number, just find what your max is and keep it close while you're running/climbing steps.

My max is 177 so I kept my HR above 170 and right at or below 177.

Forum Member

I guess my math might be screwed up. So i guess it is 90% of you max. I'm 27 so you heart rate should be at 175BPM. Either way you have to train you A** off. Gentlemen please dont make the mistake of doing just stairs. I was down at Metrotech yesterday to redo the stairs and they said that a couple of guys failed the second attempt because all they trained with is the stairs.
    Last edited by FDNYUSMC; 10-09-2008 at 09:28 PM.

Forum Member

just run and do stairs until you cant do them anymore and you'll be fine. Don't worry about your heart rate or any other bull****, really work your *** off until you cant take it anymore, then get at least 2 - 3 days good rest before you take the physical and you will be fine.

Anybody with a reliable source hear anything about the city really slowing down hiring or freezing it because of the ****ty economy? Ive been hearing rumors about that, but hopefully nobody can confirm it.

Forum Member

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by LongCut View Post
    just run and do stairs until you cant do them anymore and you'll be fine. Don't worry about your heart rate or any other bull****, really work your *** off until you cant take it anymore, then get at least 2 - 3 days good rest before you take the physical and you will be fine.

Anybody with a reliable source hear anything about the city really slowing down hiring or freezing it because of the ****ty economy? Ive been hearing rumors about that, but hopefully nobody can confirm it.
    i also heard from a friend of mine who is a fireman about a possible freeze..i know they wont freeze essential city agencies but definitely might slow down hiring..p.s. sanitation canceled future classes already

Forum Member

I havent heard of any hiring freeze. At least not until next year. I have heard that this january class is on as schedualed but, its not going to be as big as they anticipated. They are going to condense it down to about 225 probies. but i guess we have to wait and see.

Thread Information