Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

Forum Member

I hate to be the bearer of bad news. I just got a call from CID. The January 09 class has now been postponed. More info to follow is what they told me.
    FDNY 6019 #9XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hopefully09 View Post
    Just got the word-this ****ing blows
    I know.. My emotions are all over the place. I went from being really excited to p*ssed off. Damn budget cuts..
    FDNY 6019 #9XX

Forum Member

I think I just threw up a bit...

Forum Member

Default ugh

nah dude, that was me projectile vomiting all over you through cyberspace.

Forum Member

Damn.... any ideas on when they'll possibly postpone it until? All the way to next summer?

Forum Member

maybe its being postponed so they can process the 200 extra guys in anticipation of a huge retirement at the end of the year

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by aal2016 View Post
    nah dude, that was me projectile vomiting all over you through cyberspace.
    You just hit the nail on the head.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyHollow View Post
    maybe its being postponed so they can process the 200 extra guys in anticipation of a huge retirement at the end of the year
    All I want for Christmas is what you just said.

Forum Member

Bloombucks 2010 baby! I can't wait.....

Forum Member

you and me both

Forum Member

The past few weeks have given me more gray hairs than I would have preferred...think I'm gonna take a break from the forums for awhile. Good luck to you guys that just passed the run last weekend...I hope things will be working in your favor sooner rather than later. I'm gonna concentrate on school, work, and running in the meantime and worry about the fire department when and if they call me.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyHollow View Post
    or maybe its being postponed because the economy is the the sh*tter and things are not picking up. I would love to know where you get your info about a huge retirement from. Thats just not going to happen. Things will pick up and hiring will continue once again, When?? your guess is as good as mine.Just calm down and ride out this sh*t storm. If you give up and let yourself get out of shape this could come back and bite you in the butt.

Forum Member

take it slow, just trying to be positive

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzz2259 View Post
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news. I just got a call from CID. The January 09 class has now been postponed. More info to follow is what they told me.
    This is unbelievable. Hopefully with the change in presidency coming the economy will get a boost and things will start turning around. Cities such as New York are usually the last to see the downside of harsh economic times but that doesn't mean we're immune. A friend of mine whose been on the job for about 6 years told me things such as delays in start times for classes happen, so if its for one reason or another its not uncommon so hold ya head Cuzzz and hopefully09. At least you know whenever the next class is your in and to everyone else who thought they would be in the Jan 09 class but got shafted let's hope Sleepy is a psychic.

Forum Member

Updated 3:46 PM
    FDNY Forced To Initiate Hiring Freeze
    By: NY1 News

A top city official announced today that in an effort to cut even more from the state budget the FDNY is indefinitely suspending its next round of recruits.

Deputy Mayor Edward Skylar announced this afternoon that one of the cost-cutting measures will be placing a hiring freeze on Fire Department recruiting.

"At this point, it doesn't make sense to bring people in, considering the situation where, before we've done the analysis on the new round of budget cuts," said Skyler. "That class is being delayed indefinitely."

Council members were quick to blast the plan, saying sacrificing public safety will only lead to more economic pain.

"If you cut the police force, fire department, with economic times getting harder in the future, we're going to have a higher crime rate," said Councilman Peter Vallone Jr. "And, you're going to have worse economic times. It's a horrible combination. It's a recipe for disaster. We can't allow it to happen."

The decision stems from a budget memo sent by Mayor Michael Bloomberg last night, calling on agency heads to cut an additional 7 percent from the budget in an effort to save $1.4 billion.

The city forecasts a deficit of $1.3 billion for fiscal year 2010.

The cuts are in addition to earlier cuts ordered by the mayor of 2.5 percent from city agencies for the remainder of this fiscal year and 5 percent for next year.

City Council members say they want to discuss the most reasonable ways to make sensible cuts and that they want to look at every possibility before they consider raising taxes.

"Across-the-board cuts are always a difficult thing to do," said City Councilwoman Melinda Katz. "It seems like the most fair way to go about things, but it isn't always."

"Across-the-board cuts really begin affecting about quality of life issues in New York and the deterioration of the quality of life issues, whether it be a fire protection, police protection, or even the cleanliness of our streets," said City Councilman Vincent Gentile.

Agency heads are required to submit spending reductions to the mayor's budget office by December 22nd.

A memo sent to agency heads by the budget office says that further cuts could be needed, given the size of budget gaps.

"It is likely that further city-funds spending reductions of a significant degree will be unavoidable," the memo said.

Word of further budget cuts come as the battle over the property tax rebates could soon be coming to a head.

The mayor has just one day left to send out $400 rebate checks he's withholding from homeowners before he has to head to court to fight a lawsuit filed by several city council members.

The mayor says the budget negotiations are moving forward.

"I can tell you we've had 'heated' discussions with [City Council Speaker] Christine Quinn. She's trying to do what she thinks is right, we're trying to do what we think is right," said Bloomberg. "Together, the 51 members of the City cCuncil and the mayor have always come to an on-time budget agreement which has stood this city well and I have no reason to think that we won't this time."

While administration officials continue to negotiate, Bloomberg wouldn't comment on a bill introduced in the council yesterday that would raise the city's hotel tax.

Bloomberg has previously criticized proposals to increase the hotel tax, saying it would hurt tourism.

this is what was on the tv

Forum Member

Forum Member

Right...so the hiring freeze could just be a bluff by the the mayor in order to scare the council into letting him axe the rebate checks.

(IE: look, if i send out these checks, then im gonna have to cut the fire class, and do all sorts of nasty ****.)

Or...and this is more likely...the department orders were written before the decision to freeze was put in place. After all, they have been talking about this freeze a looonnnggg time. Its no surprise to anyone given the economic circumstances and current headcount.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hopefully09 View Post
    The medical is good for 1 year, physical 2 years, psych 3 years.
    They people at CID confirmed this for you?

Forum Member

Angry

Well, It is offical. There is not going to be a january class. This absolutly sucks. If you think you have the stomach for it...NY1.com has the report. when will it end.

Forum Member

Default damn it

I got my $9 money order this morning too, what a bitch. I really am not looking forward to doing the medical over if they decide to have the class after April. You guys think we'll have to do the run again?

Forum Member

This news is sickening.

Bloomberg informed the Fire Department that the upcoming class of about 100 firefighters would not enter the academy this winter as "things have unfortunately gotten worse and not better," deputy mayor Ed Skyler said.
    The delayed firefighter class is just the latest victim as Bloomberg scales back city services and promises tax hikes amid a nationwide recession.

hopefully "delayed" and not cancelled indefinitely

Forum Member

remember a freeze will prolong the life of the list.

Forum Member

god what a kick in the nuts.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by myles8683 View Post
    remember a freeze will prolong the life of the list.
    True. Like calm stated earlier, this happenned in the late 70's. A list was established in '78, froze for a couple of years, and hiring ended in '84 off the same list. But really, who knows what the hells gonna happen. As long as the triborough has a new name I feel okay... I'm definitely reconsidering that beer.....

Forum Member

Guys, the class is delayed, not canceled. You'll get your shot in the same order as you would have had the economy not tanked. Are you going to have to wait? Yes. Does that suck? Yes. Just don't let it get the best of you and keep your head down. Run like it's still on, because it'll come around eventually.

As for me.........I'll just have to worry about lay-offs.

Thread Information