Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 127 of 618 FirstFirst ... 2777117124125126127128129130137177227 ... LastLast
Results 2,521 to 2,540 of 12347
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

Forum Member

Default FDNY process

Quote Originally Posted by glycerin16 View Post
    hey qcfrankc- i took the psych and passed about a month ago, list #1720's

Did you pass all of your medical on the first attempt or did you have to go back for something?

Forum Member

does anybody have any insight into why they would cancel nypd classes when they need people but only shorten fdny classes when theyre supposedly over staffed?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzz2259 View Post
    What ever the case may be.. I am glad that the class is still on and not being cancelled like the police class. Hopefully, it'll be more clear to us tomorrow, after Mayor Bloomberg speaks at City Hall.
    I was going to go into the police academy for the time being if I missed the the Jan. FD class but now it looks like I'll continue scrubbing ***** stains off toilets for the next 6 months to a year.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ajabiggs View Post
    I was going to go into the police academy for the time being if I missed the the Jan. FD class but now it looks like I'll continue scrubbing ***** stains off toilets for the next 6 months to a year.
    You're not alone buddy I'm in the same boat, I might just move out of NYC to be honest, I want this job but I hate this city.

Quote Originally Posted by myles8683 View Post
    does anybody have any insight into why they would cancel nypd classes when they need people but only shorten fdny classes when theyre supposedly over staffed?
    The last class to graduate had 1,094 recruits in it.
    Unfortunately for them, that reduces $$ by a lot.

Forum Member

The last page or two of this thread makes me want to cry. Trying to predict my future is killing me....So close, but still soo far. Everything done except psych and run. 183x

Everyone's telling me I'm stupid and crazy for wanting this job so badly. Doing the same job but in a different city, and willing to take a huge paycut to do more work. But to me, it's absolutely without doubt 100% worth it. Praying I will make it within 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by coooGy View Post
    The last page or two of this thread makes me want to cry. Trying to predict my future is killing me....So close, but still soo far. Everything done except psych and run. 183x

Everyone's telling me I'm stupid and crazy for wanting this job so badly. Doing the same job but in a different city, and willing to take a huge paycut to do more work. But to me, it's absolutely without doubt 100% worth it. Praying I will make it within 2009.
    Thats the right attitude.. Hang in there.. If you really want this job and stick it through, you'll get the job. Don't listen to people that try to bring you down. It's not worth the aggravation.
    FDNY 6019 #9XX

Forum Member

so iam guessing that they will shorten the length and likewise the amount of recruits, so if it goes from 6months with 300 candidates or 3months with 100 or 150 which is the way it was, would it have that great of an impact?

Forum Member

It really has been a roller coaster ride thus far. I'm just wondering what list number they'll reach for the Jan. class if they do shorten the academy and reduce the class size. As far as what we can do right now, we can all continue to get in shape for the academy and hope for the best...
    6019- was sitting at 13xx
    2000- now sitting at 18xx

Forum Member

well this sucks balls

Forum Member

is the only reason there is no hiring freeze or class cancellation due to the scrutiny the department has gotten because theyre lack of minority firefighters?

Quote Originally Posted by LongCut View Post
    well this sucks balls
    very well said

Forum Member

when they were doing 3 month classes what size were they?

i just went and read/listened to the story on ny1, and it didn't say the engine companies would be closed outright, but that the "nighttime hours at 5 engine companies that also contain ladder companies" would be reduced.

I think that this can be taken one of two ways, either those companies will be shut down for the night tour, or that they will take the 5th fireman off the company

Forum Member

wow just came home from work and reading the last two pages totally took the life out of me....just hope they will reach me

Forum Member

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?se...cal&id=6487868

NEW YORK (WABC) -- With Wall Street revenue dropping and no easy alternatives at hand New York City, Mayor Mike Bloomberg is expected to announce deep cuts in the city workforce.

Eyewitness News has learned that in order to close a $4 billion budget gap the city is cancelling the police academy January 2009 class, cutting 500 jobs in parks and education, cutting back nighttime operations at five firehouses and reducing firefighter training.

In all, the city will reduce its workforce by about 3000 jobs through attrition and through layoffs in an effort to close a widening budget gap that is the result of the crisis in the financial markets.

Wall Street and related jobs provide an estimated 20 percent of the city's revenue.

Bloomberg will hold a news conference on Wednesday.

"The Mayor will be presenting a new financial plan, which has required major revisions in light of the recent financial upheaval. It will require sacrifice from every city agency and in some senses, every New Yorker. But we need to take these painful but necessary steps now; delaying the inevitable will only make it worse," Deputy Mayor for Operations Edward Skyler said.

Bloomberg is expected to explain that the belt tightening is needed as city budget gap grows to $4 billion for fiscal 2009 and 2010. That gap, is now about $700,000,000 million greater than the estimate from just a few weeks ago of $3.3 billion.

Bloomberg was asked at a news conference Tuesday to preview his budget plan, and while he did not give details, he said he would likely ask for a "slowdown, but not really for a meltdown."

"We don't know just how deep this recession is going to go or for how long," he said.

By using his budget knife on key jobs and services such as new police officers, education employees and the dental health clinics, which serve 17,000 children each year, Bloomberg is making some politically risky moves. It sets up a more difficult environment as he prepares to run for re-election next year.

The billionaire independent mayor last month announced that he believes the city needs him to stay on past the end of 2009, when his second term ends, to manage the long-term effects of the financial crisis and economic downturn. In just a matter of weeks, he convinced the City Council to change the law that limited him and other officeholders to two consecutive terms, and on Monday he signed the bill allowing him to run for mayor again.

Bloomberg, who has enjoyed approval ratings in the 70s since his re-election in 2005, may see those numbers fall back to the levels of his first term, when he was making cuts and raising taxes to help reverse the city's post-Sept. 11 economic woes. His political opponents will no doubt say the city cannot survive without the programs and jobs he is cutting.

The mayor told reporters Tuesday that the belt-tightening he's announcing this week "certainly is not going to be the last step." If revenues fall more than what is projected, he said, the city will take additional action.

For now, his update will show that the city faces budget gaps of $4 billion this fiscal year and next, the administration official said.

To help bridge those deficits, Bloomberg asked all city agencies in September to come up with their own plans to cut spending by 2.5 percent this fiscal year, which ends next June, and additional cuts of 5 percent the following year.

Those are targeted to save $500 million this year and $1 billion in fiscal 2010.

The plans include canceling the January 2009 police academy class, which means that approximately 1,100 would-be cadets will not enter the six-month program as planned. The next class would begin in July 2009.

Canceling an academy class is an unusual move. Past mayors have more commonly delayed the start of a class by a few months and then accelerated later classes; David Dinkins did it in 1993, Rudy Giuliani in 1994.

In the education department, the city will cut 475 jobs. The majority are central administrative jobs, and about 50 are in schools, but not teachers.

The firefighting training academy will reduce its program from 23 weeks to 18 weeks to save operational costs. The mayor, who drew criticism when he closed firehouses to save money during his first term, also plans to eliminate nighttime engine companies in five firehouses that also have ladder companies. The move allows those firehouses to stay open but with fewer firefighters at night.

The Department of Health will close its dental health clinics for poor children. Officials said the city would rather not shut down the program, but lacking other options they decided to eliminate a service that many families can access through Medicaid.

Other cuts include eliminating 320 seasonal parks department jobs and not filling 187 sanitation jobs dedicated to street cleaning.

Forum Member

How many candidates do you think they'll put in the academy?
    6019- was sitting at 13xx
    2000- now sitting at 18xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by QCFRANKC View Post
    Did you pass all of your medical on the first attempt or did you have to go back for something?
    I passed everything on the first try. I was hoping to have a shot at the Jan class, after the recent updates, I'm just keeping my fingers crossed to get hired within the next year. Good luck everyone.

Forum Member

so i'm assuming i should say goodbye to my hopes of getting in off of this list sitting at 6800's with all this talk of cutbacks. i guess i will think about going back to school to finish an associates and get the required credits to join the PD for the time being to start collecting towards my 20years. Also, with the pay increase for the PD it shouldn't be TOO unbearable a job. with obama now we might see a total turn in the economy, the people have spoken in great numbers and i think there will be a lot of happy people in the years to come, what will that do for the economy/job situation? it's going to be a very interesting next couple of years! Obamarama!
    Sh*t List 6019 - 68xx's

Forum Member

Unhappy

I hate being right! Well hopefully bloomberg still allows at least 2 academies a year though candidates will be hearing crickets in the future classes cuz there will be so few in each class. Praying they will still reach 39xx before 2012. Damn this sucks!

Thread Information