Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

Forum Member

As painful as it is to think, this thing goes waaaay deeper than our list; if they are considering closing houses and laying off guys, 6019 is a dead issue for a while. Lets just cross our fingers for those dudes on the job. And also, lets just hope bloom**** is just using firehouse cuts as a bluff to get the council to let him keep those rebate checks.

Good luck, fellas.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by aal2016 View Post
    As painful as it is to think, this thing goes waaaay deeper than our list; if they are considering closing houses and laying off guys, 6019 is a dead issue for a while. Lets just cross our fingers for those dudes on the job. And also, lets just hope bloom**** is just using firehouse cuts as a bluff to get the council to let him keep those rebate checks.

Good luck, fellas.
    A friend of mine told me last night that her husband's firehouse in Brooklyn will be closing. I just can't believe that they would close more firehouses after the 2003 fiasco.

You never hear the city talking about closing police precints. There is a Dept. of Corrections class going through. Why aren't they being cut as well? I hate to wish that upon people, but what's good for the goose, is good for the gander. Sorry boys.. I had to get that out.. It's just so ridiculous.
    Last edited by Cuzzz2259; 12-12-2008 at 02:24 PM.
    FDNY 6019 #9XX

Forum Member

Wouldn't get the same shock and awe effect our beloved Bloomberg is looking for. Attack what is vital first and when we eventually give up fighting those cuts, no one will even blink when he takes an axe to the rest of the city.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzz2259 View Post
    A friend of mine told me last night that her husband's firehouse in Brooklyn will be closing. I just can't believe that they would close more firehouses after the 2003 fiasco.

You never hear the city talking about closing police precints. There is a Dept. of Corrections class going through. Why aren't they being cut as well? I hate to wish that upon people, but what's good for the goose, is good for the gander. Sorry boys.. I had to get that out.. It's just so ridiculous.
    I believe corrections falls under state budget not city budget. A little to far for Bloomy's reach. Lucky them!!

Forum Member

Corrections has a staggering OT budget and new hires are cheaper than the OT, yes, even with bennies.
    The FD has virtually eliminated OT and even if they lower the head count it can be offset by closing companies. Less companies, less manpower needed.

They can't start closing prisons, can they?

Forum Member

Don't know if any one is interested but figured I'd throw it out there

http://www.nypdrecruit.com/default.aspx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by matty21 View Post
    Don't know if any one is interested but figured I'd throw it out there

http://www.nypdrecruit.com/default.aspx
    Yea, seems to be the only job you can get on in this city, every other test I take gets frozen lol.

It's tough for us all boys, keep your heads high and live your life the FDNY will call eventually and we need to be ready when they do. Control what you can control and try to enjoy life, I'm as down about this as anyone else but can't dwell on it.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=matty21;1014722]Don't know if any one is interested but figured I'd throw it out there

http://www.nypdrecruit.com/default.aspx[/]
    I took test in Oct. Haven't gotten any results. I guess PD also could be a longggg wait since there will be no classes in 09.

Forum Member

i believe there will be a class in july 4 pd

Forum Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hopefully09 View Post
    Please tell me I'm not the only one who's life Bloomburg took a **** on. What is everyone else doing in these dire economic times?
    I clean toilets and floors for a living bro, can't get much worse than that. Hang tough, it will be a few years but it will taste f'n good when it finally happens for us.

Forum Member

Arrow cities future

I really don't see blommberg laying off FF, PD,EMS, etc like everyone is saying, I just think their won't be hiring for couple of years. After reading the chief , PD looks to be lowering its
    headcount by 5000 by 2012, I'm guessing with attrition. Probably fire will do the same.

Forum Member

even if the layoffs happen which they cant really afford i think... fire fatalities will go up, crime will go up people would eventually go knocking on bloombergs door...

Forum Member

It keeps getting worse. I busted my *** physically as well as took extra classes every semester so I could graduate early and now I'm entering the worst job market in my (short) life. I have to decide(for benefits pursposes) if I am going to start graduate school now or get some sh*t office job.

I was debating doing my masters in education or going back and doing an accelerated course program in nursing. Both of those things would benefit me when I got on the job and could do both per diem.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who's life Bloomburg took a **** on. What is everyone else doing in these dire economic times?
    I have dropped 20lbs and alienated lots of people due to my drastic change of life to get myself in shape. I also stopped working to take on extra school work and try to get my degree asap. When I felt comfortable enough to handle a full work and school load I couldn't get job because no one wanted to waste time training someone who is gonna be around for a few short months (I was guaranteed time and time again that I would be in the Jan class at list number 118x) So I too am big time SOL. it sucks, but hey at least we know its gonna come eventually. This list will go at least four years not including time it is frozen. And hopefully with a new President and new mayor soon enough we will out of these phucked up economic times. Heads down and power through, we will get there.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NxtGenProbie View Post
    And hopefully with a new President and new mayor soon enough we will out of these phucked up economic times.
    You do know that Bloombucks basically bought himself a third term right? There still is a very small chance that people can ignore his bottomless wealth and friends in high places, that will cram him down your throats come next year before election time. If you're feeling angry, make sure you tell your friends and family to vote against him come time.....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    You do know that Bloombucks basically bought himself a third term right? There still is a very small chance that people can ignore his bottomless wealth and friends in high places, that will cram him down your throats come next year before election time. If you're feeling angry, make sure you tell your friends and family to vote against him come time.....
    I am fully aware of his new (read bull****) term limit extensions. But I hope after this budget cut fiasco, the rebate check debacle and especially the public safety concerns with FDNY and NYPD cutbacks people will take the opportunity to oust him.

It's absolute BS that he thinks he is the only person capable of helping NYC through this crisis. He is a good business man I will give him that. But he doesn't know what its like to be a regular guy, to struggle like the lower and middle class. NYC needs to be run by someone who understands us better.

Also, keep in mind that he recently became an independent which means he will have to run against a republican and democrat canidate this time. Should be interesting.

Forum Member

Default Not that bad...

As anyone who knows or is related to a firefighter, your side job is just as if not more important(financially) as your position in FDNY. We are (in a really f*cked up way) in a potentially awesome position. We have the opportunity to set ourselves up for success. I know some of you don't want to hear it so stop reading now but...... if we use this time(be it one year or five) to get in some sort of position that we can actually enjoy or even simply don't hate(if you are anything like me and hate 98% of all the jobs I have ever had), we can use our skills and experience when the time comes and capitalize on it. Most guys on the job never had a chance to explore these options and get on the job and they end up painting houses or some other BS job. Do you want to come home from a 24 and have to go do some shady mininmal paying job? Or would you rather have something you enjoy doing or at least something semi-lucerative? Just so everyone knows, I was in the guaranteed range as well. I literally had my whole life set on it. I know how everyone feels and it makes me so angry but I thought I'd bring some of the positive to your attention. Some of us will BS around until we are called and thats fine but those of us that take advantage of this will reap the benefits for years to come. Anyone who messed up in HS or college has that feeling of regret (myself included) but now is our opportunity for redemtion. So go back to school or take a job with advancement opportunity. My father keeps telling me when I speak to him that this is the poorest I will ever be in my life. I hope he is right, but I feel as though I have to take action now to prove his' statement's validity. We have been waiting for what seems an eternity for this job. We know we want it and we are ready for it and when we are given the opportunity we will take it. But for now, we should be looking ahead and being aware that what we do now will ultimately determine our success in the future. Good luck to everyone. We will get there.

Forum Member

so what are the chances this list will get extended after its 4 year life? since there is no hirng it only seems rite. i think its good cause as i said earlier the city wont wanna pay for another test and recruiting effort

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by myles8683 View Post
    so what are the chances this list will get extended after its 4 year life? since there is no hirng it only seems rite. i think its good cause as i said earlier the city wont wanna pay for another test and recruiting effort
    I'm praying like I've never prayed before, that this is how it's gonna work. I wish there was a way to get a definite answer on that.....

Forum Member

Roll 'em up, fellas. With at least a year before the wheel starts turning again we can all relax and smoke a fat one one more time!

Forum Member

I would advise against that and where are you getting the number "at least a year".........
    For me it's probably a year -- 200#. I am being theoretical. Nothing is concrete with this stuff. Even when there are "definite dates/times" they change too.

Just say, "No!" Nancy Reagan would be very proud of you!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by wingwalker77 View Post
    For me it's probably a year -- 200#. I am being theoretical. Nothing is concrete with this stuff. Even when there are "definite dates/times" they change too.

Just say, "No!" Nancy Reagan would be very proud of you!

Dude I'm 24xx, and granted your a bit ahead of me, I'm hoping to get a call around 2012 at the least. The way things are looking ya know. Guys in the low thousands might hopefully get their shot in a year....And yeah, definitely say "no"...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    Dude I'm 24xx, and granted your a bit ahead of me, I'm hoping to get a call around 2012 at the least. The way things are looking ya know. Guys in the low thousands might hopefully get their shot in a year....And yeah, definitely say "no"...
    This board is WAY uptight.

Forum Member

Agreed. Also, another good post from Rosie. My back up plan was goona be police, but now they are fcucked as much as this test, so i am screwed. Only option I have is to do some bull**** and wait till the process starts up again, which we have no idea when, but looks like at least a year at this point. What do you think?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by shanahan14 View Post
    Agreed. Also, another good post from Rosie. My back up plan was goona be police, but now they are fcucked as much as this test, so i am screwed. Only option I have is to do some bull**** and wait till the process starts up again, which we have no idea when, but looks like at least a year at this point. What do you think?
    I'm presently in nursing school downtown and I work per diem as an EMT for a hospital in Queens. Maybe get your EMT-B and hook up with a hospital? The money is decent. Or, go back to school?

Thread Information