Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by wingwalker77 View Post
    This board is WAY uptight.

dont even think about smoking that dubie on my watch you tree hugging peace freak hippy stoner.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LongCut View Post
    dont even think about smoking that dubie on my watch you tree hugging peace freak hippy stoner.
    Hahah! That reply rules.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LongCut View Post
    thats good ****!

Forum Member

to answer a couple guys questions about the hiring freeze

"In other attempts to cut costs, the fire department announced Wednesday an indefinite hiring freeze on new recruits."

here's the link: http://www.ufanyc.org/cms/contents/view/5762

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    I'm praying like I've never prayed before, that this is how it's gonna work. I wish there was a way to get a definite answer on that.....
    You and everyone else on this board. Let's keep our hopes up and pray our arses off!
    6019- was sitting at 13xx
    2000- now sitting at 18xx

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by My1Goal View Post
    Let's keep our hopes up and pray our arses off!
    As an athiest I can't pray but I can certainly hope for the best for us all!

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by wingwalker77 View Post
    As an athiest I can't pray but I can certainly hope for the best for us all!
    That just made me lol. Hoping hard is just as good. Thanks!

Forum Member

how old is everybody here? just wondering

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by test6019 View Post
    to answer a couple guys questions about the hiring freeze

"In other attempts to cut costs, the fire department announced Wednesday an indefinite hiring freeze on new recruits."

here's the link: http://www.ufanyc.org/cms/contents/view/5762
    Glad to see that, at least the life of our list will now be extended as long as they are not hiring.

Forum Member

List 6019 has not been frozen. Just because they are not hiring it dosent always mean that its going to extend the life of the list. As far as Bloomburg is concerned, he is in an election year. He still has to be voted in. If he keeps the city in this condition, you can definatly count on him NOT being re-elected for his third term. New Yorkers are not going to let their city go down in ruins. I know I certainly wont. I have a strong feeling that things are going to get better over the next year.

Forum Member

wingwalker........your an idiot......

this forum should be about giving solid advice an supporting others on our quest to becoming firemen in the city of new york......

but your just being a clown...........good luck on the job if you actually make it there....

TO ALL OTHERS THAT ARE ACTUALLY SERIOUS ABOUT GETTING ON THIS JOB ONE DAY.........

STAY STRONG......STAY FOCUSED......OUR TIME WILL COME....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNYUSMC View Post
    List 6019 has not been frozen. Just because they are not hiring it dosent always mean that its going to extend the life of the list. As far as Bloomburg is concerned, he is in an election year. He still has to be voted in. If he keeps the city in this condition, you can definatly count on him NOT being re-elected for his third term. New Yorkers are not going to let their city go down in ruins. I know I certainly wont. I have a strong feeling that things are going to get better over the next year.
    I would love to think that everyone who posts on this forum will get hired in the next yr, I dont know your list number, but putting all of this blame on bloomberg isnt really fair, its not like new york is the only city in the country that is going through a financial crisis, We all just have to deal with the tough times and get through them and before you know things will get back to normal. The city isnt in ruins its just doing what it has to do to get through these tough times, Nobody on this forum has experienced something like this before so well wait it out and hope for the best.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BowHunter82 View Post
    wingwalker........your an idiot......

this forum should be about giving solid advice an supporting others on our quest to becoming firemen in the city of new york......

but your just being a clown...........good luck on the job if you actually make it there....

TO ALL OTHERS THAT ARE ACTUALLY SERIOUS ABOUT GETTING ON THIS JOB ONE DAY.........

STAY STRONG......STAY FOCUSED......OUR TIME WILL COME....
    You uptight hollier than thou guys are gonna get a rude awakening once you get on this job. Here this guy is trying to make light of things and you act like a cop. Like no one on this job ever smoked a joint. Get a life Mr. thin skin. I'm not condoning doing drugs, but the guy is just playing around. That's what we do in the firehouse. Just cause a guy cracks a joke every once in a while doesn't mean he's not just as "serious" about getting on this job. You've obviously never been in a firehouse before cause all we do is crack jokes and bust balls. I got your back wingwalker.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY78 View Post
    I got your back wingwalker.
    Thank you. I was just speaking to a friend about how all the FFs I know and the ones I work alongside are all goofy guys who are also serious about there jobs. Balance is everything and will help everyone get through tough calls. Uptight ****** don't seem to be in any kind of abundance and I'd imagine they'd have a difficult time working until they consider changing there attitudes.

Forum Member

Default 6019

Good Morning To You All,

I request to know if any one has an idea when my number will be called I am sitting at 23**. I am currently in the military and was wondering after the written exam what is next in the process.

I know with the recent closures and the class sizes going from 300 to 100 it will take some time now, just wondering when my list number will be called?

Also whats next after the written exam... Some posts are stating a run, and some individuals are failing the medical?

Thanks for any information in advance and good luck to all, Good bless.

Forum Member

Default hopefully

I did not receive a letter, Hopefully 09, but i feel for ya my man. As much as this isn't anyone's "fault," that's some real BS to go through right there. Getting that letter, making that run, and then all of a sudden, were back to nobody knowing anything about anything again? Ugh. Sorry, man. The only consolation you get is knowing you'll be in the next class, and knowing you will get this job.

On a lighter note, was buffing last night and went to and engine company in manhattan. Brought the dudes some donuts, knocked on the door, and asked em what they thought we should do - especially the guys around 1000-1200. Their opinion was simple: go work on getting a trade, a decent side job, etc. This may not be enough time for us to go to nursing or professional school, but we can go make a relationship with a limo company or a security detail.

The conversation went like this:

Fireman: I wish I had a skill, man...you know, something i could do on the off days...
    aal2016: You dont have one?
    Fireman: You mean...besides XBox? No.
    (Then the phone rings and the probie and another fireman run to the housewatch booth and wrestle each other to the ground trying to get to the phone first).

The greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by test6019 View Post
    I would love to think that everyone who posts on this forum will get hired in the next yr, I dont know your list number, but putting all of this blame on bloomberg isnt really fair...

Your right that nothing is any individuals personal fault. But you gotta stop and question this guy when he's doing things at this time such as: spending four million on a new name for a freakin bridge, spending countless millions on land purchases for a glitzy new willet's point, centering the fountain in washington square park (i understand that one started a little before this ****storm, but still)... I don't know man, this guy just gets my blood boiling. I wish Tony Avella had a real chance....

Forum Member

Default Test 6019

Good Afternoon To You All,

I request to know if anyone has an idea when the list will get up to the 2000's? I am in the military and is sitting at 23**, I have about a year left in the MIL. and was wondering if I should re-enlist. Or is my rank good enough to get appointed.

Also I was reading some posts regarding, a run? And individuals failing the medical? Can some one please fill me in with some advice with the following procedures. I have taken just the written what are the next steps.

Thanks for the time and any information that maybe provided.

Forum Member

Roadrunner, Thanks for echoing my concerns. The safty and wellbeing of this city is in danger.
    Last edited by FDNYUSMC; 12-14-2008 at 04:17 PM.

Forum Member

Thumbs up Not that bad...

As anyone who knows or is related to a firefighter, your side job is just as if not more important(financially) as your position in FDNY. We are (in a really f*cked up way) in a potentially awesome position. We have the opportunity to set ourselves up for success. I know some of you don't want to hear it so stop reading now but...... if we use this time(be it one year or five) to get in some sort of position that we can actually enjoy or even simply don't hate(if you are anything like me and hate 98% of all the jobs I have ever had), we can use our skills and experience when the time comes and capitalize on it. Most guys on the job never had a chance to explore these options and get on the job and they end up painting houses or some other BS job. Do you want to come home from a 24 and have to go do some shady mininmal paying job? Or would you rather have something you enjoy doing or at least something semi-lucerative? Just so everyone knows, I was in the guaranteed range as well. I literally had my whole life set on it. I know how everyone feels and it makes me so angry but I thought I'd bring some of the positive to your attention. Some of us will BS around until we are called and thats fine but those of us that take advantage of this will reap the benefits for years to come. Anyone who messed up in HS or college has that feeling of regret (myself included) but now is our opportunity for redemtion. So go back to school or take a job with advancement opportunity. My father keeps telling me when I speak to him that this is the poorest I will ever be in my life. I hope he is right, but I feel as though I have to take action now to prove his' statement's validity. We have been waiting for what seems an eternity for this job. We know we want it and we are ready for it and when we are given the opportunity we will take it. But for now, we should be looking ahead and being aware that what we do now will ultimately determine our success in the future. Good luck to everyone. We will get there.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RosieE63 View Post
    As anyone who knows or is related to a firefighter, your side job is just as if not more important(financially) as your position in FDNY.

Let me be the first to say: Don't EVER look at this job in those terms.

Forum Member

Not trying to be a kiss-*** or anything and no offense...but I completely agree with what CalmB4Storm said above about not thinking of the job as a paycheck.

Call me young and naive, but money is the last thing I'm looking at with my desire to become an FDNY fireman. If I get the opportunity one day, I would be taking about a $15k pay cut a year in comparison as what I'm making currently as a firefighter in another (much smaller) city. Call me stupid, but the pride of being an FDNY fireman outweighs the sacrifice, even if I have to live on a much smaller budget to survive.

Also, granted it might be different since it's a different fire department, but while you are on probation there are MANY more things to be thinking of than working your "second job", the most important being knowing your job inside and out and every single detail about the apparatus and equipment. You're gonna be tired, sleep deprived, stressed from work and getting your balls busted by the guys all the time. I know for me while I was on probation in my current job, the last thing I was thinking of was a second job.

Sorry if my post was out of line since I am not on the job in FDNY yet.
    Last edited by coooGy; 12-14-2008 at 09:21 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CalmB4Storm View Post
    Let me be the first to say: Don't EVER look at this job in those terms.
    As always, the man is a sage of the job and his quote should be heeded. If you're taking this job for money, please try California.

"You'll never get rich doing this job, but you'll be happy."

Thanks, Loo.
    Just a peon proby in the greatest job in the world; grinning ear to ear.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MIL4FNDY View Post
    Good Afternoon To You All,

I request to know if anyone has an idea when the list will get up to the 2000's? I am in the military and is sitting at 23**, I have about a year left in the MIL. and was wondering if I should re-enlist. Or is my rank good enough to get appointed.

Also I was reading some posts regarding, a run? And individuals failing the medical? Can some one please fill me in with some advice with the following procedures. I have taken just the written what are the next steps.

Thanks for the time and any information that maybe provided.

Being that you're in the military, you deserve an answer to your questions rather than, "yeah, there are a 169 pages of info and advice".
    So: The medical is what seems to be giving people the most trouble. Specifically the stairmaster portion. They throw you on the stairmaster (stepmill) with a heartrate monitor for I believe 3 minutes. Then you get a couple minutes break. Then they throw you on again wearing a 50 lb vest for I believe 5m 12secs. Depending on your age, you can't go over 90% of your max heartrate. A simple calculation is 200 - your age = 90% of your max. For example, I'm 26 so I couldn't go over 174 bpm. If you fail it, you get another shot in 30 days and maybe even another. I haven't gotten that far yet, so somebody else could tell you for sure.
    Theres no real advice to pass it aside from cardio, cardio, cardio. Long runs and sprints and you'll be fine. Also getting a weight vest, heart monitor, and access to a stepmill, you can duplicate the test which can only help tremendously. And with the medical, if you wear glasses, your gonna need to get lasik or the other one (I forget the name).
    You also get a physical agility test, a psychological, and they investigate your backround. When it comes to the run you ask about, the last step in the entire process is a 1 1/2 mile run they time you on. If you can keep it under 13 minutes, your in (well should be in, sorry fellas if i touched a nerve).
    With your list number, you have a good little while to worry about this the way things are going now. My # is right around yours, so I'm in the same damn boat. And again, I haven't done these steps yet, so please correct me if I'm wrong anybody......
    Last edited by roadrunner09; 12-17-2008 at 04:07 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hopefully09 View Post
    It's not even the fact the he could have cancelled the class say a month or two ago(when PD did). We got out appointment letters and were 6 days away from getting sworn in. Guys quit their jobs, got reliable cars, etc. He took the rug right out from under us at the last second.
    I feel horrible for those who passed their 1.5 and got the appointment letters. Let's just hope and pray that things will turn around soon. Also, since the media's been reporting that the next class has been cancelled/on hold, does anyone know if our list has been extended for the duration?

Thread Information