Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 149 of 618 FirstFirst ... 4999139146147148149150151152159199249 ... LastLast
Results 2,961 to 2,980 of 12347
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

  1. #2961
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NxtGenProbie View Post
    Spoke to my investigator today and she said the same thing. I am 118x and was told two weeks ago I was a lock for january, with the way things are its looking like I might not be in until Jan 2010.......phuckin' RFK bridge......
    wow...not good for me sitting at 189x...****


  2. #2962
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    264

    Default

    When the city released the 2009 financial plan they released a report on the projected staffing levels for 2008-2012. It can be found on the nyc.gov website or directly through this link http://www.nyc.gov/html/omb/pdf/exec08_ftaftesl.pdf

    If you go to p.29 they have the forecast for the full time headcount for the Uniformed Fire Dept

    For March 2008 they show a total headcount of 11,701, their forecast for July 2008 is 11,275, and it drops down to 11,237 through 2012.

    It looks like they plan on reducing the headcount by about 464 over the next few years. What I get from this is there will have to be a hiring freeze or some very small classes in our future so the attrition rate can be greater than the hiring rate until the city reaches its desired headcount. Once they hit that number I would assume the size of any classes would be designed to match the attrition rate.

    I am going to try and get my mind back and stop stressing out about this ****. I just wish that my investigator wasn't so confident a few weeks ago that I would be in the academy this January, it would have saved me a few gray hairs. Lesson learned I guess.

    Now on the topic of the Vulcans bull**** lawsuit.....

  3. #2963
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    835

    Question

    Quote Originally Posted by LongCut View Post
    When the city released the 2009 financial plan they released a report on the projected staffing levels for 2008-2012. It can be found on the nyc.gov website or directly through this link http://www.nyc.gov/html/omb/pdf/exec08_ftaftesl.pdf

    If you go to p.29 they have the forecast for the full time headcount for the Uniformed Fire Dept

    For March 2008 they show a total headcount of 11,701, their forecast for July 2008 is 11,275, and it drops down to 11,237 through 2012.

    It looks like they plan on reducing the headcount by about 464 over the next few years. What I get from this is there will have to be a hiring freeze or some very small classes in our future so the attrition rate can be greater than the hiring rate until the city reaches its desired headcount. Once they hit that number I would assume the size of any classes would be designed to match the attrition rate.

    I am going to try and get my mind back and stop stressing out about this ****. I just wish that my investigator wasn't so confident a few weeks ago that I would be in the academy this January, it would have saved me a few gray hairs. Lesson learned I guess.

    Now on the topic of the Vulcans bull**** lawsuit.....


    Why then did they even give a test if this is the case?? Simply because of the lawsuit?

  4. #2964
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Guys, slow down and don't worry so much, you're going to kill yourselves. We cannot control what the Mayor decides. We cannot control what attrition rate will be. We cannot control the economy. ALL we can control is what we personally do with ourselves.

    Things are going to work out. If you did well on the exam, then getting on the job might involve a wait, but the wait will be worth it and we'll get there. In the meantime, all of us should get out in the world, work hard, train hard and enjoy ourselves.

    Before the mass hiring of 2003-2008, the department used to just put classes of 50, 75, 100 in at a time. So this isn't unheard of. During the mass hiring, there was a lot of retirements and they hired to flood the ranks to kill the OT.

    Keep in mind the list does not expire until 2012 at the earliest. Also, there are a lot of guys on this job that worked in other departments (Bridgeport, DC, Fairfax Co., Charlotte among them) earned a good living and gained valuable experience before joining FDNY.

  5. #2965
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by I3akdraf View Post
    Is it just me or the numbers seem somewhat unrealistic. If to get around 300 probies for July, 886 candidates were needed off list 6019. I don't know the number of EMT's who made the transition but I'm guessing it was between 30-50, so if thats the case how do you only go through about 100 more candidates off the 6019 list even if it is to only get 100-150 incoming for Jan. I'm guessing less EMT's were taken this time around since all they need is to pass the test to get promoted and the majority are in the July class. Those numbers seem a little tight even considering deferrals from the July class.
    Anyone else thinking how I am???
    Draf, Queens, im with you and the rest of the guys on this. I think they are just being super cautious, and they're gonna put multiple groups in slowly till they have the tight headcount they want.

    All the guys who are on the edge, lets all just keep thinking positive and be ready to go if they call us for a run. Stranger things HAVE happened in the course of this young list.

    Me and another january cliffhanger are going to run the rock again tommorow night. Were gonna meet up in the parking lot 'round 530pm, and hit the run three times (warmup, fast, slow). Would love any of you guys to come with. Like somebody else said, what the hell else can we do?

    114X.

    PS. Great contribution, Longcut, definately coincides with what the guys on the job have been telling us.
    Last edited by aal2016; 12-03-2008 at 03:11 AM.

  6. #2966
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aal2016 View Post
    Draf, Queens, im with you and the rest of the guys on this. I think they are just being super cautious, and they're gonna put multiple groups in slowly till they have the tight headcount they want.

    All the guys who are on the edge, lets all just keep thinking positive and be ready to go if they call us for a run. Stranger things HAVE happened in the course of this young list.

    Me and another january cliffhanger are going to run the rock again tommorow night. Were gonna meet up in the parking lot 'round 530pm, and hit the run three times (warmup, fast, slow). Would love any of you guys to come with. Like somebody else said, what the hell else can we do?

    114X.

    PS. Great contribution, Longcut, definately coincides with what the guys on the job have been telling us.

    I dont get out of work until 4:30 but I'm pretty sure I can make it. At worse I'll catch up on the path. See you tonight. Any questions pm me....

  7. #2967
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    233

    Default run

    Time change so that people can come after work if they want to: 6:00pm. Parking lot.

  8. #2968
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    26

    Default Why Though?...

    There is about to be a lot of people retiring on disability by this January because if the new law passed by the federal government. The law states that all firefighters who file for disability after 20+ years on the job after Jan 1st 2009 are required to pay taxes on all money collected. All the senior guys who have been waiting and workin hurt in hopes to gain as much payoff as possible when they finally do file for disability, will be forced to do so by jan 1 unless they want to lose a **** load of money. And also the class of 100 is crazy. They should have a full class and then a freeze if anything so that they don't have to pay to have so many classes a year. It costs the city almost as much to have a smaller class as a full one so why the F*ck?.... I am guessing it makes Bloomburg the millionaire look good to have a small class even though it will ultimately cost the city more. And the RFK..? Sometimes these F*cks make so mad.... So F*cking stupid!

  9. #2969
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    45

    Default Repost from RosieE63

    This post is from RosieE63 . It got buried a couple of pages back. I want to re-post it because it makes sense and makes me feel better. I don't know how you guys make it with the blue background, so I copy and pasted it.



    "I just wanted to throw some potential good news out to everyone because all the rumors and bs make me sick whenever I come tho this site. It is a fact that the federal government has made it so that any NY firefighter who retires on full disability after this year (starting January), he/she will now be taxed on all money collected. This has not been the case in the past and even currenty. There are a ton of veteran firefighters who are working hurt yet have been waiting to retire on disability because the amount of money you recieve for the rest of your life (currently untaxed) is ultimately determined by finding the average of your three highest paid years. The longer they stay in, the more they will recieve for the rest of their lives. Because of the new law, these guys will apply for retirement with full disability before January 09 thus opening up a huge gap for new probationary firefighters. Also for those talking about there being a smaller class this January.... That is senseless because it will cost almost as much to the city to run a smaller class as it will to run a larger one. All I can say is that you should never trust what you hear. I had a current NYC fireman swear to me about a year ago that he knew for a fact that test 6019 was to be completely scrapped. He swore it was true. And we already have the 1st 6019 class just a few weeks away from graduation. You gotta understand that these rumors spread like wildfire and change like a bunch of 3 yr olds playing telephone. Best of luck to all. My sources are good but again.... you never know. Oh and just wanted to say real quick that it took almost 900 or so names to get the first class in the academy this summer and that number (as evidenced by the past) only increases as the distance between when the test was given and when the candidate gets offered an invite to the academy. So whoever is saying that they are only inviting up to 1030, that is ridiculous. Unless Bloomburg decided that the academy will last half a week and consist of 8 guys (joke). Goodluck and relax. Good things will come to you if you are patient and you truly deserve it. "

  10. #2970
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Manhattan, NY
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shanahan14 View Post
    Good things will come to you if you are patient and you truly deserve it. "
    This is a ridiculous quote, Friend. We're all patient just very confused as well, and who's to decide who "deserves" what?

  11. #2971
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Bed-Stuy Brooklyn
    Posts
    220

    Default

    damn wing don't hang the man for trying to give some encouragement. He prob just meant something along the lines of good things come to those.....

    Anyhow, good find shanahan thats really good news to everyone, including myself, who was told Jan was a definite. As was posted before this may only be the first run. A second and third run may be held before xmas.

  12. #2972
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    283

    Default

    well isnt she already wrong already the next class is going to be 100 hundred as planned

  13. #2973
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Fresh Meadows, Queens
    Posts
    96

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by matty21 View Post
    well isnt she already wrong already the next class is going to be 100 hundred as planned
    How do you know? Was it on the news yet or something?
    List # 13**

  14. #2974
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    286

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shanahan14 View Post

    There are a ton of veteran firefighters who are working hurt yet have been waiting to retire on disability because the amount of money you recieve for the rest of your life (currently untaxed) is ultimately determined by finding the average of your three highest paid years. The longer they stay in, the more they will recieve for the rest of their lives. Because of the new law, these guys will apply for retirement with full disability before January 09 thus opening up a huge gap for new probationary firefighters. Also for those talking about there being a smaller class this January.... That is senseless because it will cost almost as much to the city to run a smaller class as it will to run a larger one.
    A ton? I don't think so. I recently retired and the numbers of retirees has not spiked in the past month or two. As far as the cost of a smaller class being the same as a large class, you're not even close to correct on that assumption.

    I tried to keep you guys up to date with my best guess based on my observations, ie. binder order. That's how you come to a best guess in this city, take in all the signs and make an educated guess. I also assumed the next class would be 300, way back when, and said the list would reach about 1313 for January. After a few years in the job I know how things go and often the top class of the list has a large number of deferals. I took the test in '77, then came a hiring freeze, a law suit and an economic slow down. That list lasted 7 years. I had all but given up on the FDNY and moved on with my life. One day I got the call and never looked back. You would be wise to do the same. If you're in the top 3000, go get a degree so you can get promoted some day. If you're in the 4000+ range, go get a career and if the FDNY calls you, make a choice then.

    You have to move forward and not sit by the mailbox everyday waiting. It won't make that letter come any quicker. Now, go enjoy your lives, most of you are in your 20s and I would give my left nut to be in your boots. The best days of your life are happening right now and you're wasting them worrying about something you have no influence over.

    For those of you who make it, never forget how bad you wanted it. For those who don't make it, take the next test or go make some real money!

  15. #2975
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    flushing
    Posts
    806

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CalmB4Storm View Post
    . As far as the cost of a smaller class being the same as a large class, you're not even close to correct on that assumption.
    Calm is right. In the city council budget its says by reducing the training by 5 weeks they will save 3 million in fiscal yr 2009 and 6 million in fiscal yr 2010. This could also reflect smaller classes or less frequent classes(not one after the other) ?thats a lot of $ saving , some number crunching may help ,probie pay is i think 38k for first 13 weeks then i think it gets bumped up to 40. 100 vs 300, 18 weeks, 23 weeks, etc Look on the bright side, they are still planning on hiring now and in the future till 2010 and were in a recession.

    Five-Week Reduction in Fire Academy Training. The Fire Department proposes to reduce the duration of Fire Academy training from 23 weeks to 18 weeks generating a savings of $3 million in Fiscal 2009, growing to $6 million per year beginning in Fiscal 2010. Probationary training for new firefighters was extended from 13 weeks to 18 weeks in March of Fiscal 2007 and then from 18 to 23 weeks in September of Fiscal 2008. According to OMB, the FDNY is confident that it can fulfill all critical training requirements within the 18-week timeframe.

  16. #2976
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    283

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AnchorC View Post
    How do you know? Was it on the news yet or something?
    have we gotten letters im a couple hundred lower then you and I havnt. I'm just saying Rosie is saying the class is going to be bigger then 100 it its looking like its going to be 100 as was predicted by Calm and the information from CID

    and after calms post looks like 0/2

  17. #2977

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2

    Default CID Lance D

    Hi all,
    I should have my investigator Lance's number. I don't remember ever having it. I was hoping someone on the forum has the number to reach him and could post it. Thank you so much I greatly appreciate it.

    dreamin @ 18xx

  18. #2978
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    835

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Queens6019 View Post
    Look on the bright side, they are still planning on hiring now and in the future till 2010 and were in a recession.

    I'm know I'm letting the forum drive me insane which is exactly what calm is saying to stop doing, but: Are you insinuating somehow that they are only planning on hiring til 2010? Cause I am for sure beyond then...

  19. #2979
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    41

    Default should i stay or should i go now

    my list number is 20XX so i know i have to wait a while. And now that this is happening, I might have to wait longer. I don't mind waiting at all. I'm a pretty patient person.
    First, has anyone near my number heard anything about the medical and/or psychological test? just wondering because...
    I'm not from NYC, I'm trying to move there, but of course, for me, and I'm sure everyone else, money is very tight. And like Calm said, (everyone should be), I am/trying to do some other things now, to waste time until the fire department calls. So I guess this is just a statement/opinion/question, but should I move to NYC? Or just stay where I am and do what i've been doing until they call.
    I know everyone already knows, but money is tight, moving costs a lot, and NYC isn't any cheaper. So should I stay or should I go.
    I just don't want to be working jobs that I don't give 2 shi*s about until the dept calls, I'd rather be doing something I want until then, just in case it does take a while.
    But anyway, just thought I would throw my 2 cents in and I would appreciate if anyone else had any other opinions. because thats all we can put in for now right? there are no facts.
    stay in shape.
    stay smart.
    stay safe.
    good luck to everyone.

    -Maples.

  20. #2980
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maples View Post
    First, has anyone near my number heard anything about the medical and/or psychological test? just wondering because...
    Havent heard anything and I am 20xx as well.

    If the city were smart, they wouldnt waste $ on tests until much closer to our numbers.

    They raced to get all requirements complete for those up close to 2000 when they were on target for 300 class sizes.

    Not sure where you are, but find something you like to do, find an area you like to live and go on living.

    We probably have at least a year to go. Things happen, things change. So when you get that next step in the mail or that phone call, you may be up for it, or time may have passed that opportunity by.

    When all is said and done, just make yourself happy - and waiting probably isn't going to do it for any of us.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. FDNY Test 6019-Union Square Protest
    By exp1isastreet in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-26-2010, 10:31 PM
  2. List #6019
    By ffbam24 in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 03-30-2008, 08:59 PM
  3. FDNY List #6019
    By MailBox123 in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-22-2007, 06:54 PM
  4. FDNY Exam #6019????
    By HouyBoy in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-11-2007, 10:50 AM
  5. FDNY Exam #6019-John Jay College Forum
    By exp1isastreet in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-22-2007, 03:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts