Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

MembersZone Subscriber

Guys just so you know...we are still over approved head count.

FTM-PTB
    Last edited by FFFRED; 03-18-2009 at 05:59 AM.

Forum Member

Has anyone talked to their investigators recently?

Forum Member

Has anyone talked to their investigators recently?

Guys, don't torture yourselves by calling your investigator. They're not going to hire anyone as long as we're over the head count and fire company closures are looming. Hopefully the closures won't be as extreme as they have originally been forecast. We won't know if they intend to go go through as planned until July 1st and then who know's what will happen if the economy worsens or improves and how much influence city residents will have fighting closures.

Right now there is NO OVERTIME and that's what the city wants. It's a lot cheaper to have a few extra guys making 2nd through 6th grade pay than pay a 1st grade guy overtime. At some point there is a change in this financial plan. Right now there are still a lot of guys that aren't at top pay, but as more and more hit 1st grade pay, they will want to have few guys over the headcount, but find that sweet spot that limits O/T.

Clearly the city wants to remain over the head count right now, because until the budget cuts they were going to put in another class of 300 despite the surplus in the firemen's rank.

Look, early this year, right after the most recent class graduated, we were riding with a door man in my 4 man engine co. This was happening A LOT at the end of December and part of January. There were even times when we had a spare person with no seat on a rig. He had to just stay back and wait until 2am when someone went injured at a fire and we shipped him out to another boro. As wasteful as this might sound, had he not been there making his 5th grade pay, they would have had to hire someone to fill the injured members spot and if that guys was at top pay, we're talking about a lot more money than a 5th grader makes. That again is why the administration is looking to stay surplus, at least for right now.

Since then we've been without the 5th man on our 4 man engine. Far less frequently do we have that many surplus members. Guys are retiring and/or being granted disability retirement. The head count is going down and they're going to have to hire again, LONG before time runs out on your list.

Hopefully, that'll be the case; a steady decline in the surplus and the need to hire. If they close all of the companies that they suggest they might, well, that'll stretch things out....and if god forbid they lay-off, well that'll stretch things out too. I don't see that extreme situation happening and hopefully no one in power does either!!

Most people wait a lot longer than the 2 years that you've been waiting. So, sit tight, work out and get on with your life. You guys who were gonna go in January, you'll make it at some point. DON'T BE A HAIRBAG. Just keep yourselves in shape and put it outta your head.

Forum Member

No, I wonder what they are doing with all the free time, they are probably very worried about getting laid off.

http://www.nydailynews.com/real_esta...d_trains_.html

Everyone should read this, and send a letter.
    http://www.ufoa.org/spec_messages/pr...onchanges.html

Forum Member

If everyone on here does not send a letter we have absolutely no room to whine about our situation when we finally get on the job.

And jeez they already typed out the letter for you!

Forum Member

Sleepy, please update us tomorrow after the city council meeting, I wish I had off and could attend. Thanks
    Last edited by Queens6019; 03-19-2009 at 01:54 PM.

Forum Member

Sorry about the double post before...This delayed posting thing is annoying

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyHollow View Post
    If everyone on here does not send a letter we have absolutely no room to whine about our situation when we finally get on the job.

sent 4 emails...

Forum Member

Exclamation

Where do we send this letter to? and when do we have to send it by?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Waitin6019 View Post
    Where do we send this letter to?
    go to http://www.state.ny.us/ and look up the addresses to the state assemblyman and your state senator

Quote Originally Posted by Waitin6019 View Post
    when do we have to send it by?
    three days ago, seriously man, send letters early and often, you have to let the elected officials know that this will cost them votes if they put this forth

Forum Member

Exclamation

go to http://www.state.ny.us/ and look up the addresses to the state assemblyman and your state senator

three days ago, seriously man, send letters early and often, you have to let the elected officials know that this will cost them votes if they put this forth
    For anyone that wants to send letters here is the address to find your senator and assemblyman

http://www.senate.state.ny.us/sdlook...earch?OpenForm

http://assembly.state.ny.us/mem/

Forum Member

Talking Budget meeting, 3/20/09

I'm off on friday and will be going, is there anyone else who wants to go with me? Shoot me a pm or leave something on the board.
    I know it's kind of late ( Thursday nite) Sleepyhollow, but if you can
    post the location of the budget meeting i would like to go too. Is it At FDNY HQ?? Let me know and i'll roll with you bud.

If anybody else has any info on the Budget meeting on 3/20/09 at 10am, it would be helpfull too just in case Sleepyhollow does'nt see this in time. Thx.
    As long as my Calling , Keeps Calling. I will be here.

Forum Member

Its in the committee room at city hall downtown. I have to work myself unfortunately...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by QNS6019JAN09 View Post
    I know it's kind of late ( Thursday nite) Sleepyhollow, but if you can
    post the location of the budget meeting i would like to go too. Is it At FDNY HQ?? Let me know and i'll roll with you bud.

If anybody else has any info on the Budget meeting on 3/20/09 at 10am, it would be helpfull too just in case Sleepyhollow does'nt see this in time. Thx.
    hey dude, i'm going to be down there about 0930, shoot me an email, crapgame79@hotmail.com and i'll give you a shout in the morning and we'll meet up

Forum Member

Thumbs up Re - Budget meeting.

Thanks for the quick response guys. I'm e-mailing you right now. See you there.

Forum Member

good luck today guys. im not on this list, hopefully the next one. just wanted to show my support!

Forum Member

Default Budget Report from NYC Council

http://council.nyc.gov/html/budget/P..._fems_3_09.pdf
    Page 8 "The Department canceled the January 2009 firefighter class and plans to cancel the next firefighter class, originally scheduled for July 2009. The next planned class is scheduled for January 2010. Each class
    includes between 100 and 200 cadets."

Forum Member

Well I guess that sounds like some decent news. "Sounds like" being the operative phrase......

Forum Member

Page 7 on the report 9 on the pdf "Fire Instructor Savings. The Department proposes to redeploy 39 training personnel to the field to reduce overtime. This action is designed to generate a one-time overtime savings of $1.5 million in
    Fiscal 2010. The cancellations of the January 2009 and July 2009 firefighter classes affords the Department the ability to implement this action. The next firefighter class is scheduled for January
    2010."

Forum Member

Sleepy or QNS6019JAN09 first off thanks for going. How'd it go this morning? Did you guys hear anything new?

Forum Member

Thumbs up Fdny Budget Meeting. 3/20/09

I just got back from the meeting. It's looking like the City Council has finally had enough with the Commissioner. One council men asked for his resignation for not standing up to the Mayor against these cuts that will jeopardize civilian and Fire Fighters lives. The Scary part was when the commissioner was asked if the city found the money out of the 50 billion dollar budget to offset the 5 million dollar savings from closing 12 houses by Jan 1 2010, will you put the closings one hold and start hireing off the list. He never gave a yes or no answer even "with" the funding. So that tells me, it's not about the budget. It's about hitting the union hard on the pension reform. Remember this term, RING THE ALARM. That's going to be the battle cry the city council will use as they find funds for the FDNY. But for the most part the only thing good out of the meeting that was good for us and the residents of NYC is that everybody in city hall thinks cuts and academy class cancellations are insane post 9/11. The real good news it seams they are willing to get extra funds for the FDNY and also list 6019 isn't going anywhere. They made a point to speak about all the money spent and the time and effort it took to get the racial mix of 6019. They don't want to lose 6019's top 4000. They said it's a sad day when all of us from 6019 went through all the battery of test with the long gaps in between and still not have a job after passing. The commissioner said that everyone on the top 4000 get's calls to see how we are doing from time to time. I never got one if you guys did. I think he was misinformed. If you guys have time you should make any and every meeting as well as speak to as many city council members as possible, They are the one that will do what's right and not what Bloombucks tells them is right because he thinks he the only person in the world that has a clue about money.

PS - It felt good being around the guys from the job that were there. They feel the same way, if not even more ****ed about whats going on. It's eazy to forget that we are in the same battle, were just the other side of the fire house door.

pss - No problem gimmiefire600 - Brotherhood starts here.
    Last edited by QNS6019JAN09; 03-20-2009 at 04:19 PM.

any mention of layoffs?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by QNS6019JAN09 View Post
    I just got back from the meeting. It's looking like the City Council has finally had enough with the Commissioner. One council men asked for his resignation for not standing up to the Mayor against these cuts that will jeopardize civilian and Fire Fighters lives. The Scary part was when the commissioner was asked if the city found the money out of the 50 billion dollar budget to offset the 5 million dollar savings from closing 12 houses by Jan 1 2010, will you put the closings one hold and start hireing off the list. He never gave a yes or no answer even "with" the funding. So that tells me, it's not about the budget. It's about hitting the union hard on the pension reform. Remember this term, RING THE ALARM. That's going to be the battle cry the city council will use as they find funds for the FDNY. But for the most part the only thing good out of the meeting that was good for us and the residents of NYC is that everybody in city hall thinks cuts and academy class cancellations are insane post 9/11. The real good news it seams they are willing to get extra funds for the FDNY and also list 6019 isn't going anywhere. They made a point to speak about all the money spent and the time and effort it took to get the racial mix of 6019. They don't want to lose 6019's top 4000. They said it's a sad day when all of us from 6019 went through all the battery of test with the long gaps in between and still not have a job after passing. The commissioner said that everyone on the top 4000 get's calls to see how we are doing from time to time. I never got one if you guys did. I think he was misinformed. If you guys have time you should make any and every meeting as well as speak to as many city council members as possible, They are the one that will do what's right and not what Bloombucks tells them is right because he thinks he the only person in the world that has a clue about money.

PS - It felt good being around the guys from the job that were there. They feel the same way, if not even more ****ed about whats going on. It's eazy to forget that we are in the same battle, were just the other side of the fire house door.

pss - No problem gimmiefire600 - Brotherhood starts here.
    Thanks for attending and making yourself knowledgeable and involved in the process. If enough people make noise, Bloomturd at least has to take notice. wish I could have there myself, but I had prior "union" engagements.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Forum Member

Really appreciate you guys going, unfortunately I had a job interview and couldn't make it. It really upsets me that the commish used us to make it look like he really gives a sh*t. I have never received a god damn call from anybody from the fdny. Oh sorry wait there was one, the one I got telling me my offer of employment was rescinded. He and Bloomberg don't give 2 sh*ts about any of us and the fact that we informed our then existing jobs at the time, that we would be leaving. For some of us those jobs no longer exist or we have been forced to work less hours and earn less money. I don't know about you guys but I'm struggling right now and could really use this job(besides the fact that I've wanted it more than anything else since I was in diapers,) and have never been contacted by anybody from the city. Shame on the bloomberg administration for lying to the public on more than one occasion.

Thread Information