Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

Forum Member

At least we have a timeline now.Thanks for going guys and your right we must talk to all of our city council members and let them know what is going on. Have them keep the pressure on and the isssue in the media.This is more than just cancelling a class to save some money. Bloomberg cant shut any more houses down because the excess manpower.

Rally outside City Hall over further FDNY cuts
    by Staten Island Advance
    Friday March 20, 2009, 3:06 PM

Advance photo/Michael McWeeney
    The overnight shift at Engine Co. 161 in South Beach has been eliminated most nights.The last time the City Council held a contentious hearing on Fire Department cuts, the budget was already approved and it was too late to stop them from closing four companies overnight, including Engine Co. 161 in Staten Island's South Beach community.

With the stakes even higher this time - 12 more companies and dozens of ambulance shifts are now in danger - the Council held a hearing today on the latest spending plan a full three months before its members are set to vote on it. At a rally outside City Hall, members of the public, firefighters and representatives from the Uniform Firefighter Association (UFA) made it clear that any city legislator, including Mayor Michael Bloomberg, will suffer the consequences if the proposal becomes a reality.

"If you close firehouses, you lose the support of the UFA, you absolutely will lose the support of all UFA members and every family member of every UFA member that lives in the city of New York," said UFA president Steve Cassidy.

Under Bloomberg's fiscal year 2010 budget, which starts July 1, the FDNY could shutter a total of 16 engine companies and eliminate 30 Emergency Medical Service tours to help trim about $62 million from its budget. Among those 16 companies would be the four selected to be closed from 6 p.m. to 9 a.m. in November's budget modification, and 12 others the FDNY has yet to identify. The EMS service cuts could be even more severe and far-reaching: The city could be forced to slash an additional 100 ambulance tours on top of the 30 already proposed if the state sticks to its plan to withhold $60 million in federal Medicaid funding that was earmarked for such services.

As an alternative to the closings, Bloomberg proposed reducing manpower at 60 engine companies across the city from five to four firefighters, which would thus give them the flexibility to curb overtime.

"If they are going to ask us to renege on our contract, we'll address that when that time comes. But believe me, there is a lot of money in the Fire Department budget that can be slashed before they ever look at closing one firehouse," Cassidy said.

Under pressure by Council members and the public, the Fire Department has been staffing Engine 161 and the three other closed companies with surplus firefighters when they are available. But because the FDNY won't be getting any recruits this year, the department surplus will likely run out within a few months.

-- Reported by Peter N. Spencer

See more in City, East Shore, News, South Beach

Forum Member

Scopetta vs. Avella
    March 20, 2009
    Sparks flew today during a City Council hearing on the FDNY's plans to close 16 ladder and engine companies to cope with budget gaps, the DN's Kate Lucadamo reports.

During the proceedings, mayoral candidate/Councilman Tony Avella accused Fire Commissioner Nicholas Scoppetta of not fighting hard enough to avoid the budget cuts.

When Mayor Bloomberg refused to budge, Avella argued, Scoppetta should have quit in protest. The councilman even helpfully offered the commissioner some coaching, saying he ought to have declared: “I can’t do this and if you make me do this, I have to resign.’’

Which touched off the following verbal volley:

“Avella: "I haven’t heard you say that. I keep hoping at the next hearing, you are not here because you’ve done that. You’ve said to the mayor and OMB, ‘I can’t do this.’…There is a difference between being a good bureaucrat and being somebody who fulfills their responsibility.”

Scopetta: “Mr. Avella, did you resign rather than vote for the six closings? Because you voted yes for the six engine company closings. Why didn’t you resign and say I’m not going to do this?”

Avella: “Because I’m in a different position."

Scopetta: “Yes, you are."

Avella: (Explaining that he had “almost” voted against the budget that contained the six closings, although none of them were in his district). “I went right to the wall on that."

Scopetta: "“But you voted yes."

Avella: “Correct. But I’m in a different position. I can’t resign because I represent a constituency. You represent the agency. There is a totally different perspective here."

Scopetta: “Please. When you run into difficult times, when you are dealing with adversity, the response should not be, ‘I’m going to run away from this.’ The response should be ‘Let’s do the best we can, let’s see if we can make these cuts if we have to. And there is no question that we have to given the deficit and the need to balance the budget…I don’t think you run away from problems, you try to solve them."

Forum Member

Last edited by Queens6019; 03-20-2009 at 10:21 PM.

Forum Member

I know that today is only the very tip of the iceberg for the next fiscal year but in Janurary 2010, they plan to potentially cut companies and put a new class through in the same month? Does this seem odd to anyone? Hopefully they cut NO companies.

Forum Member

I have nothing really to add, I definitely think that people in the council are fed up with this. As one councilman put it "basic public safety services". Hopefully the politicians make good on their promise to find the 25 million or so it will take to keep the firehouses open

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Class

Anyboyfire,
    The budget said closing of houses though attrition. The average loss per year in the FDNY is about 451 people if I remember from the document. The city does not want to be even with the number of FF on shift. They want to be over to reduce OT. If they are even OT is generated everytime a FF is sick, gets hurt, or goes on vacation. Someone has to fill that spot. Most of the time its not the junior guy who get the OT for many reasons. A senor man getting OT for that shift is earning close to 4 times if not more than a junior man working strait time. It is cheaper for the city to higher extra FF over the head count than pay OT. By 2010 they should be close to even because I think they are now 300 or so over head count.
    By my logic would be a reason they would need to hire in 2010.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with the poor timid spirits, who know neither victory nor defeat." FDR

Forum Member

Thanks for the info ant makes sense.

Forum Member

FDNY cuts will help - commish
    BY Kathleen Lucadamo
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Friday, March 20th 2009, 10:48 PM

Fire Commissioner Nicholas Scoppetta admitted Friday fire response times will go up when 16 engine and ladder companies close by January to cope with budget cuts.

"You cannot close a fire company without suffering an increase in response times to a certain extent," Scoppetta testified during a heated City Council hearing.

Lawmakers charged that the move jeopardizes public safety and could lead to more deaths, causing Scoppetta to say, "There are no guarantees in this business."

Councilman Tony Avella (D-Queens) advised Scoppetta to resign as a protest to the mayor-ordered service cuts but then Scoppetta reminded the councilman that he didn't resign when asked to vote on the closure of six engine companies.

Instead, Avella approved it.

"I am no happier than you are about these cuts," Scoppetta said. "I don't want to close any fire houses. I am forced to meet a target."

Forum Member

Everyone should just move to the greatest city in the world and apply

Good thing's happening

Quote Originally Posted by FootballFire View Post
    Everyone should just move to the greatest city in the world and apply
    Your post has confused me and made me curious. Now that you have dragged me in. What city might that be ? because I think we are thinking about two different cities right now.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesrule1024 View Post
    Your post has confused me and made me curious. Now that you have dragged me in. What city might that be ? because I think we are thinking about two different cities right now.
    It's STILL New York City

Forum Member

Default Medical again

Guys I was just wondering if anyone has received letters for retaking the medicals, or heard anything about it from metrotech? i had took mine last may, and i know they are only good for a year.

Thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CalmB4Storm View Post
    It's STILL New York City
    Awesome.

So here are my thoughts about the whole situation yesterday at the meeting. I didn't have time to post this since some friends of mine got stuck in the city for the day and I needed to help them out. (and by help them out I mean take them to my favorite gin mill)

The fire and criminal justice committee of the council is made up of some very passionate people who I think, truly care about the fire department and its well being. Councilman Vacca, who is the chair of the committee is none too happy about any of these closures, especially the closing of Ladder Co. 53, which is in his district.

Passion for the cause is great, but the council doesn't understand the whole situation. (and please don't think I'm trying to defend Commissioner Scopetta here, just trying to be objective) So councilman Vacca started off the meeting by berating Commissioner Scopetta about these cuts, which he should because he is right. But the way he went about it is wrong. The councilman asked over and over, why are you making these cuts, what do you expect to happen etc.

The commissioner fought back with 90% of our budget is operational monies. The thing about that is that the commissioner is right too. Any agencies budget (especially the fire department and police department) is going to be 90% operations, and if you want to make any large cuts in the budget, you are going to cut operations. This same situation is playing out in fire departments all around the country right now.

Some councilmen made mention of other money that can be used for closing the budget gap... I.E. some 23 million dollar IBM contract. And there was some blustering about shifting capital improvement items and grant money around in order to close the budget gap. And the thing is you cannot do that inside the budget for a city agency (sucks i know). But that money is earmarked for specific purposes.

The council started to finally bring up a point, and Councilmen Martinez and Avella were the guys who did it. Martinez flipped out because no one in the city seems to give a crap whenever the fire department takes a cut. He cited that the city population is approaching 8.4 million people (insane) and there will be over 300 less fireman out and about protecting them. Councilman Avella hit the nail on the head when he asked the commissioner why he is not standing up for his agency and saying "NO" to the mayor.

The focus then shifted to the council members coming to the realization that it was up to THEM to find some money to throw into the fire department budget. Honestly guys, that is where the problem lies.

When the mayor proposes his budget, it CANNOT be adopted without the city council approval. The city took care of the teachers, took care of the cops, but they are f###ing the firemen. The voting of the budget is basically looked at as a formality by the city budget. In a 55+ billion dollar budget, to find 25 million is a drop in the hat.

The way to change this is to call, write and email EVERY councilman that you can. If you have parents, grand parents, aunts and uncles in different parts of the city, do the work for them, type out a letter, ask that they sign it and send it to their councilmen!

They HAVE to know that voting for this budget will cost them votes!!!! I know all of my friends in the city want me to get in the fire department, and will gladly sign a letter voicing their concern over the situation. Will it change anything? I have no idea, I hope so, but I will gladly spend a minute of my time typing this letter up, and a few bucks in stamps in order to help me get THE GREATEST JOB ON EARTH!!!

Sorry if I got carried away or said anything that you already knew. I’ll get this letter to the councilmen drafted here in a minute and post it up here.

Good thing's happening

It's STILL New York City
    Oh I KNOW IT IS!!! I was a bit scared he was going to say LA or some crazy city like that. I grew up in NYC and just recently moved to NC and my heart is STILL there. Unfortunately with the economy the way it is right now the South is cheaper. Now to work my way back up the east coast and hopefully end back in NYC. First stop for me is going to be a NOVA fd near DC. Well, I hope anyways.

Rob

Forum Member

Default Letter to Councilman

Here is the letter I wrote, feel free to use it, make sure you put your councilmans name and your own address in there. The formatting is kind of jacked up so I would use the attachment part of it.

March 21, 2009

Dear Councilman,

Please consider this correspondence as one of the strongest opinions of opposition your office has ever received. I strongly oppose any budget put forth by the mayor, which includes the proposed cuts to either 16 individual companies, or to the elimination of the 5th man within 65 engine companies in the FDNY.

The Fire Department of New York City is a vital city agency that can and must be likened to that of the Police Department and Department of Education. The cuts that the commissioner has proposed will absolutely have a negative impact on the communities that they serve. The commissioners’ proposal to eliminate the 5th man from 65 engine companies will also have a significantly negative impact in those communities. Those 65 engine companies are not chosen at random to have extra manning; they are placed at companies where the workload for the firefighters is highest. Studies by the FDNY have shown that there is a SIGNIFICANT reduction in the amount of time it takes to get water on a fire when the 5th man is added into the equation.

I challenge you sir, to vote no for any budget that includes these cuts. In a city budget of over 50 billion dollars, please provide the 25 million the FDNY needs to keep operating in the current safe and efficient manner. These cuts jeopardize life and limb of citizens and firefighters alike.

Councilman, should you support the FDNY in this matter, I can promise you that you will have the support of my family, friends, neighbors and myself. Thank you for your time.

Respectfully yours,

Your Name
    Constituent of Your District
    Your Address
    Your Address
    Attached Files Attached Files

Forum Member

It's STILL New York City
    Not quite my friend. New York is a great city I had fun the 1 time I visited in 1999, I was like 13 lol. The people are great and I like meeting New Yorkers in my city and I purposly start an argument about the best pizza and hot dogs lol. Its a great city but its not the greatest city in the world.

Forum Member

Not quite my friend. New York is a great city I had fun the 1 time I visited in 1999, I was like 13 lol. The people are great and I like meeting New Yorkers in my city and I purposly start an argument about the best pizza and hot dogs lol. Its a great city but its not the greatest city in the world.
    Can you take this to off topic or something? Theres enough BS in this thread without this crap.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Forum Member

wait wait wait, you want to be firefighters and your getting this angry over that? Wow lighten up fellas seriously. You call it crap that I think New York is a great city, its BS that I think New Yorkers are great people. You guys are making me think otherwise. I read up on the thread was trying to make a suggestion jokingly since it seems the there is a big mess going on over there right now. So shut up the both of ya's

Good thing's happening

wait wait wait, you want to be firefighters and your getting this angry over that? Wow lighten up fellas seriously. You call it crap that I think New York is a great city, its BS that I think New Yorkers are great people. You guys are making me think otherwise. I read up on the thread was trying to make a suggestion jokingly since it seems the there is a big mess going on over there right now. So shut up the both of ya's
    I hate to tell ya this...But some of the people posting on this thread are current FDNY and some are retired FDNY...so not all are hopefuls and they have the right to say whatever it's their city!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesrule1024 View Post
    I hate to tell ya this...But some of the people posting on this thread are current FDNY and some are retired FDNY...so not all are hopefuls and they have the right to say whatever it's their city!!!
    Yea I hear you but I doubt the 2 uys getting overly upset are current or retired FF's. Anybody has the right to say anything about any city lol. But you were right eaglesrule1024 I'm thinking LA. Best weather, huge department with great growth opportunities, and did I mention, we have In N' Out! lol. Thats just the tip of the iceberg. But goodluck with the everyone in their process I hope the city leaders over there get things together and realise how important the FDNY is, from what I've read seems that mayor needs to get his priorities straight.

Forum Member

Yea I hear you but I doubt the 2 uys getting overly upset are current or retired FF's. Anybody has the right to say anything about any city lol. But you were right eaglesrule1024 I'm thinking LA. Best weather, huge department with great growth opportunities, and did I mention, we have In N' Out! lol. Thats just the tip of the iceberg. But goodluck with the everyone in their process I hope the city leaders over there get things together and realise how important the FDNY is, from what I've read seems that mayor needs to get his priorities straight.

L.A.?

Holy $hit, I just ruined my keyboard!

Even if tier 5 went through and the health bennies were cut in half you would have a better chance of surviving your retirement than under Arnold and company. Cali-fornia is doomed.

Good thing's happening

I hate to tell ya....but one of them is current and another that posted to me is retired... As for the mayor well he has his head up his ***** he seems to be looking at the numbers only and not what the effects are going to have. The mans net worth went from 5.7billion in 2007 to over 20+BILLION thats with a B btw!!! Sad a man that has spent over 100million on his campaign for re-election cannot even help the FDNY with its budget even though its a vital part. But when you think about it if he does this then he is going to be losing a lot of votes come election time so the ball is in his court if he wants to be mayor again.

Forum Member

I do apologize then for assuming to those guys. But that doesnt mean they had to get so upset over nothing.

Wow that crazy. How can leader of the city that large be actually thinking of cutting FDNY funds. Thats basically like saying I'm willing to sacrafice lives to save the city some money. Incredible. He's sounds almost as bad as those AIG execs with all the money he has and he wants to take money from the middle class. What is his reasoning for cutting funds?

Forum Member

I do apologize then for assuming to those guys. But that doesnt mean they had to get so upset over nothing.

Wow that crazy. How can leader of the city that large be actually thinking of cutting FDNY funds. Thats basically like saying I'm willing to sacrafice lives to save the city some money. Incredible. He's sounds almost as bad as those AIG execs with all the money he has and he wants to take money from the middle class. What is his reasoning for cutting funds?
    Im not sure about the retired Loo, but I didnt get upset. I dont get upset about most stuff that gets posted on the internet, especially by kids who probably have no idea what they are talking about (which was confirmed when you said LA! ), we just dont need this thread sidetracked with East vs West BS, theres enough of that on these forums, and with the exception of a few certain tools that plague the hiring forums, this section has been a great tool.

and you dont have to apologize for assuming anything about us....spend alittle more time reading and alittle less time posting (just friendly advice, not a knock or anything at all), and you will find out whos who. Im just a johnny who occassionally pops in here to make sure the guys trying to get on keep their hopes up, and keep working hard. I spend most of my time annoying the people who actually believe the thing about LA that you posted.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Forum Member

Default Letter

Thanks for that letter Sleepyhollow, it was great to have a basis to write from. Will be mailing to my councilman this week.

Thread Information