Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

Forum Member

Question Mo-jo

Now Back to What this Forum is For.

I have a small issue as of late. After all the up's and downs of last year that I ( WE ) went through, I'm finding it almost impossible to routinely workout at the same pace I was doing last year. When the class was AXED in December, I gave myself January and February off. Lets just say the vacation has been involuntarily extended do to "NO-Mo Mo-JO" . Even with the fact that I'm going to have to take a second medical, the motivation is just not there and that's not good. From the high of the letter , to the low of not even being able to hold my eyes up long enough to see the guys in the engine company go by. I'm thinking I'm in a temp funk because I allready know I don't have to get ready for a July class, I hope that's all it is because I'm starting to think depression and I really don't need that S*** right now. If my medical was today, I wouldn't be as confidant as I was last may. Is anybody or has anybody experienced this or am I just being a B****
    As long as my Calling , Keeps Calling. I will be here.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    Im not sure about the retired Loo, but I didnt get upset. I dont get upset about most stuff that gets posted on the internet, especially by kids who probably have no idea what they are talking about (which was confirmed when you said LA! ), we just dont need this thread sidetracked with East vs West BS, theres enough of that on these forums, and with the exception of a few certain tools that plague the hiring forums, this section has been a great tool.

and you dont have to apologize for assuming anything about us....spend alittle more time reading and alittle less time posting (just friendly advice, not a knock or anything at all), and you will find out whos who. Im just a johnny who occassionally pops in here to make sure the guys trying to get on keep their hopes up, and keep working hard. I spend most of my time annoying the people who actually believe the thing about LA that you posted.
    HAHA lol ok, I will take your advice. Stay safe out there. Goodluck everyone with whats going on.

Forum Member

qns: i also took january and most of february off, and i started smoking again. awesome. and while i did get back on the horse, im definitely not training like i was in november december, knowing (haha) the academy was starting in january. i found the first couple weeks back to be the hardest, but once it became routine again it got a lot easier. also, since i started training again, its been the only thing that really makes me feel like im actually moving forward. another thing i've found helpful is to replace the general goal of "get in shape for the academy" with some smaller more specific goals: get my mile time down, get my overhead press, squat and deadlift numbers up, etc smaller scale attainable stuff where you can see yourself making progress. you never know when youre gonna get a letter telling you to show up at metrotech tomorrow at 9 am and run the stairs...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hopefully09 View Post
    Same thing happened to me. Within the past 2-3 weeks I really started getting back into a routine. It is harder to get myself to work out and run than it was sept/oct/nov/dec when I knew I was gearing up for the job. Like godzilla said just try and set smaller goals for yourself or maybe even try a new routine than you used to do. I started doing crossfit recently and it makes a big difference.

You guys need to know how the city works. Suddenly funds are available or some other event causes the FD to put a class together. Letters go out, a new physical and run is done and the class starts a week later.

Forum Member

I have been having the issues with working out at the same level as of late as well and I didn't even get a letter for January so I definitely understand how you guys are feeling and it's normal!

Hopefully now that it's getting warm we'll all get our asses outside and back into the shape we were in.

Quote Originally Posted by godzilla View Post
    you never know when youre gonna get a letter telling you to show up at metrotech tomorrow at 9 am and run the stairs...
    9am? ****, I was there at 5:45am, not on the steps at that time but in the doors by then.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyHollow View Post
    Awesome.

So here are my thoughts about the whole situation yesterday at the meeting. I didn't have time to post this since some friends of mine got stuck in the city for the day and I needed to help them out. (and by help them out I mean take them to my favorite gin mill)

The fire and criminal justice committee of the council is made up of some very passionate people who I think, truly care about the fire department and its well being. Councilman Vacca, who is the chair of the committee is none too happy about any of these closures, especially the closing of Ladder Co. 53, which is in his district.

Passion for the cause is great, but the council doesn't understand the whole situation. (and please don't think I'm trying to defend Commissioner Scopetta here, just trying to be objective) So councilman Vacca started off the meeting by berating Commissioner Scopetta about these cuts, which he should because he is right. But the way he went about it is wrong. The councilman asked over and over, why are you making these cuts, what do you expect to happen etc.

The commissioner fought back with 90% of our budget is operational monies. The thing about that is that the commissioner is right too. Any agencies budget (especially the fire department and police department) is going to be 90% operations, and if you want to make any large cuts in the budget, you are going to cut operations. This same situation is playing out in fire departments all around the country right now.

Some councilmen made mention of other money that can be used for closing the budget gap... I.E. some 23 million dollar IBM contract. And there was some blustering about shifting capital improvement items and grant money around in order to close the budget gap. And the thing is you cannot do that inside the budget for a city agency (sucks i know). But that money is earmarked for specific purposes.

The council started to finally bring up a point, and Councilmen Martinez and Avella were the guys who did it. Martinez flipped out because no one in the city seems to give a crap whenever the fire department takes a cut. He cited that the city population is approaching 8.4 million people (insane) and there will be over 300 less fireman out and about protecting them. Councilman Avella hit the nail on the head when he asked the commissioner why he is not standing up for his agency and saying "NO" to the mayor.

The focus then shifted to the council members coming to the realization that it was up to THEM to find some money to throw into the fire department budget. Honestly guys, that is where the problem lies.

When the mayor proposes his budget, it CANNOT be adopted without the city council approval. The city took care of the teachers, took care of the cops, but they are f###ing the firemen. The voting of the budget is basically looked at as a formality by the city budget. In a 55+ billion dollar budget, to find 25 million is a drop in the hat.

The way to change this is to call, write and email EVERY councilman that you can. If you have parents, grand parents, aunts and uncles in different parts of the city, do the work for them, type out a letter, ask that they sign it and send it to their councilmen!

They HAVE to know that voting for this budget will cost them votes!!!! I know all of my friends in the city want me to get in the fire department, and will gladly sign a letter voicing their concern over the situation. Will it change anything? I have no idea, I hope so, but I will gladly spend a minute of my time typing this letter up, and a few bucks in stamps in order to help me get THE GREATEST JOB ON EARTH!!!

Sorry if I got carried away or said anything that you already knew. I’ll get this letter to the councilmen drafted here in a minute and post it up here.

The council did allow the 6 Engines in 2003 to be closed because they were told they just don't have the money...well a few years later the council found the money and Mr. Magoo testified that he won't reopen the companies...even if they put the money in the budget for him to do so! The council has and will find the money for the companies eventually...it is that we have a hack as a Commish who along with the mayor is taking advantage of a banking/credit crisis and deleveraging of the finance industry to cut the FDNY because they view all of it as a huge waste of money that could be better applied in buying votes with community grants and such.

FTM-PTB

PS-Currently in case you guys missed it...according to Council docs. the FD plans on having a Jan 2010 class as things stand now with 100-200 cadets. But alot can and will change between now and then.
    Last edited by FFFRED; 03-23-2009 at 11:32 AM.

Forum Member

Default Good luck

Giving up on this I think... Have been waiting for two years... I think with a list number of 3900 I will not make this list (originally I thought I had a shot). Ill be 28 in july and too old to take the test next time around... Don't take this job for granted... It is a great job.... Remember there are people like me who would kill to get on, so if you make it always treat it like its sacred.. I would.... GOOD LUCK in the future.

Forum Member

Default nest FDNY class?

[/QUOTE] PS-Currently in case you guys missed it...according to Council docs. the FD plans on having a Jan 2010 class as things stand now with 100-200 cadets. But alot can and will change between now and then.[/QUOTE]

Where did you hear this information?

Forum Member

Forum Member

Thumbs up Sounds like a plan.

Quote Originally Posted by godzilla View Post
    qns: i also took january and most of february off, and i started smoking again. awesome. and while i did get back on the horse, im definitely not training like i was in november december, knowing (haha) the academy was starting in january. i found the first couple weeks back to be the hardest, but once it became routine again it got a lot easier. also, since i started training again, its been the only thing that really makes me feel like im actually moving forward. another thing i've found helpful is to replace the general goal of "get in shape for the academy" with some smaller more specific goals: get my mile time down, get my overhead press, squat and deadlift numbers up, etc smaller scale attainable stuff where you can see yourself making progress. you never know when youre gonna get a letter telling you to show up at metrotech tomorrow at 9 am and run the stairs...
    I starting with those dam cigarettes again too, i'm nipping that in the bud now. I think your advice will work, smaller goals. Last year i was running and lifting 6 days a week, i think at this point 3 days should be my goal ( two days running, 1 lifting ) you and Calm hit it on the head. If the city shifts the money around today, letters tommorow and steps the next day. Thx for the kind word's, i'm allready feeling a little better knowing it's not just me. About to go run now..

ps - Maybe in the future we can have the Candidate , Hopefuls , active and retired members that use this board meet up. When I went to the budget hearing with sleepy hollow we bounced some ideas at each other and it kind of took me back to the prep course days at the rock when I actually had some people in my life I could relate to. Just putting that out there.
    Last edited by QNS6019JAN09; 03-23-2009 at 07:42 PM.
    As long as my Calling , Keeps Calling. I will be here.

Forum Member

Default Summer job at FD

Dear colleagues,

my name is Jakub Morávek and I am a voluntary fifefighter in the city of Chrudim in the Czech Republic. I study Security and Strategic Studies at Masaryk University in Brno. I would like to spend the summer 2009 in the United States. I am looking for a job for June and August and it has always been my dream to work at a fire department in the U.S.

As regards my prerequisites I have an international driving licence for trucks and trailers including fire engines and engineering licence for handling of fire and civil trucks. A have also a training in breathing apparatus and first aid and certificates in these.

I am aware of the fact that it is difficult for you to put me on the position of a firefighter. So I am prepared to do any kind of work at your fire department (washing hoses, cleaning the station or preparing the equipment and the engines for alert operations).

Please inform me whether you would be able to employ me for a summer job at your department.

With best regards,

Jakub Morávek
    Chrudim, the Czech Republic

Email: coudy150@seznam.cz
    Phone: +420723376827
    Web: http://sdh-chrudim.cz/

Forum Member

Would Oppose Re-Election
    UFA Head to Mayor: Cut Companies At Your Own Risk
    By ARI PAUL

The Chief-Leader/Michel Friang

'TAKE OUR ENGINE, LOSE OUR VOTE': If the Fire Department moves ahead with 16 fire company closings this year, Mayor Bloomberg should not count on Firefighter support in the next election, Uniformed Firefighters Association President Steve Cassidy said before a City Council hearing March 20.

Uniformed Firefighters Association President Steve Cassidy March 20 warned that if Fire Department budget cuts are enacted it will cost Mayor Bloomberg the support of the largest FDNY union.

Standing with other department union leaders at City Hall before a preliminary budget hearing, Mr. Cassidy protested Fire Commissioner Nicholas Scoppetta's plan to close 16 fire companies and discontinue 30 ambulance tours in order to reduce its budget, saying that cuts could be made without sacrificing fire and medical response.

"If you close firehouses you lose the support of the UFA, you absolutely will lose the support of all UFA members and every family member of every UFA member who lives in the City of New York," Mr. Cassidy said.

Mayoral spokesman Marc La- Vorgna responded, "We make budget decisions based on what is right for the city, not based on what could help in an election."

Mr. Scoppetta told the City Council Fire and Criminal Justice Services Committee that the department was unsure where it would make operational cuts, but would only implement them where companies were the least busy. Starting July 1, Engine Companies 4, 161 and 271 as well as Ladder Company 53, which are no longer staffed at night unless there are extra firefighters available, will be shut full time.

Both the UFA and the Uniformed Fire Officers Association are in negotiations with the FDNY on how it can make alternative cuts.

"Believe me, there is a lot of money in the Fire Department budget that can be slashed before they ever look at closing one firehouse," Mr. Cassidy said, declining to give details.

Mayor: Cut Engine Staffing

Mr. Bloomberg has said that if the unions agree to put four Firefighters on the 60 engine companies that currently operate with five, the proposed cuts could be averted.

"The UFA has a contract on manning, so if they're going to ask us to renege on our contract, we'll address that when that time comes," Mr. Cassidy said.

Mr. Scoppetta told the committee that the department has implemented other cost-cutting measures.

"All civilian vacancies as of December 2008 have been eliminated, except those that are revenue-producing or in dispatch operations," he said. "We have instituted a freeze on all new civilian hiring except those associated with Fire Prevention."

He added, "For our Randall's Island, Fort Totten and Maspeth fleet facilities, we discontinued contracts for security services by March 1, 2009 for a savings of $1.1 million. We are redeploying 39 training personnel to the field to reduce overtime. This will save approximately $1.5 million Fiscal Year 2010."

Predict Tragic Consequences

Union leaders said that the proposed cuts would result in deaths and property lose, as the cuts would reduce response times in the neighborhoods affected as well as adjoining areas.

Tom Eppinger, who as president of Local 3621 of DC 37 represents EMS officers, believed that the budget was set to bring the agency back to where it was when he joined in 1989.

"We couldn't get an ambulance to anybody because we were not properly funded," he said.

Mr. Eppinger described a snowball effect with eliminating ambulance lines and fire companies, saying that the loss of an ambulance in a neighborhood would mean that a nearby engine company would take over medical responses, in turn slowing fire response time.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Queens6019 View Post
    We are redeploying 39 training personnel to the field to reduce overtime. This will save approximately $1.5 million Fiscal Year 2010."
    Fiscal year 2010 runs July 1st 2009 to July 1st 2010? The next planned fire academy is a January 2010 class, but the instructors will be redeployed to the field in Fiscal year 2010 saving 1.5mil. I hope they are only redeployed up until december or january.

Forum Member

It's going to save a bit of money this year and a bit of money next year (6 mo and 6 mo) respectively

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyHollow View Post
    It's going to save a bit of money this year and a bit of money next year (6 mo and 6 mo) respectively
    That's one year. The jobs year runs from July through June.

Forum Member

Say Trial Not Necessary
    Vulcans Ask Court to Rule Fire Tests Discriminatory
    By ARI PAUL

The Chief-Leader/Adrienne Haywood-James

SAYS FACTS ARE CLEAR: Vulcan Society attorney Anjana Samant believes that the group has produced enough evidence for U.S. District Judge Nicholas Garaufis to rule against the city in the Federal lawsuit contending that the 1999 and 2002 written Firefighter exams violated the Civil Rights Act by having a disparate impact on minority candidates. At far right is Vulcan President John Coombs.

Lawyers for the Vulcan Society of black firefighters March 19 moved for summary judgment in the U.S. Department of Justice lawsuit against the city alleging that the 1999 and 2002 written Firefighter exams were rigged to weed out African-American candidates.

The Vulcan Society is an intervening plaintiff in the DOJ case, which charged that the two exams were racially discriminatory and violated the Civil Rights Act. As of October 2007, the Vulcans have said, 10 percent of the city's 11,000 firefighters were black or Latino, while Fire Departments in Boston, Philadelphia and Los Angeles are between 40 and 50 percent minority.

'Disparate Impact on Blacks'

The intervening plaintiffs believed that several months' worth of submitting evidence and hearing depositions from witnesses produced enough reason for U.S. District Judge Nicholas Garaufis to rule against the city without the case going to trial.

"The city's experts in their deposition testimony have agreed that the test has a disparate impact on black test-takers," said Anjana Samant, a Center for Constitutional Rights attorney representing the Vulcans. "The city's own witnesses that it offered on how they designed the test make very clear that the folks who made the test had no experience or expertise in designing these kinds of exams."

Before entering the Brooklyn Federal courthouse, Ms. Samant ex- plained that the Equal Employment Practices Commission in 1999 submitted a report to the city saying that the 1999 Firefighter test had a discriminatory impact.

JOHN COOMBS: Doesn't see change.

"This agency went to FDNY, they went to different people in the city administration and said 'You guys really need to look into this,' and the city did nothing," she said.

Question Relevance to Job

The Vulcans contend that the written tests under challenge did not actually evaluate whether an applicant was ready to be trained as a Firefighter. They also contend that agencies such as the Police Department and the Emergency Medical Service are more diverse because they focus more on physical than cognitive testing.

Ms. Samant did not expect a decision until this week. If the judge does not grant summary judgment to the plaintiffs, the trial will begin with oral arguments on April 13.

"We really want the city to take a look, sit down and come with an exam that is actually going to [produce] the best potential Firefighter from the applicant pool," Ms. Samant said. "There are folks who took the exam and either were not hired because they were so far down on the list or they didn't get hired [until] two or three years later. So we would like back pay, the potential to be hired, and basically damages for folks who took the test and unfairly didn't do so well."

The city has argued that the FDNY is becoming more diverse. As a result of increased minority recruiting, the city announced in December 2007 that 38 percent of the 21,183 applicants who passed the written exam for Firefighter administered in January of that year were minorities and that 33 percent of the top 4,000 scorers, meaning those most likely to be appointed, were minorities. The FDNY has also boasted that its last class of Probationary Firefighters was 35 percent minority, the most diverse in its history.

Vulcan Society President John Coombs said before the hearing last week that such numbers did not amount to significant change.

"Until all those people are hired they really can't say how successful they are," he said of the minority candidates on the current Firefighter list. "We're still waiting for the end product."

Firefighter Coombs noted that such an outcome will not come soon, as the current fiscal crisis has resulted in budget cuts to the FDNY, which has not yet scheduled any new Fire Academy classes and plans to reduce headcount through attrition.

"How convenient," he said.

Forum Member

Homeland Security Head: Stimulus To Save Firehouses
    By ARI PAUL

JANET NAPOLITANO: Can ride to firehouses' rescue.

U.S. Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano March 16 promised the International Association of Fire Fighters to improve fire response within the Federal Emergency Management Agency and held out the prospect that Federal stimulus money could keep firehouses open across the nation.

"We need to make sure that we take into account the issue of fire and firefighters in FEMA planning at its highest levels," Ms. Napolitano said in her remarks. "We will shortly be naming a new fire administrator at FEMA to head the U.S. Fire Administration. They will be directly involved in funding and policy decisions at FEMA. This is a priority for me. I know it is a priority for you. This is the seat at the table that is perhaps most key to your ability to carry out your responsibilities."

$210M in Stimulus Grants

The Secretary also outlined how the department would work to secure grants for firefighting and other first response infrastructure.

"One area you'll see immediately is in the stimulus package that the Congress just passed a couple of weeks ago," Ms. Napolitano said. "In that package is $210 million specifically devoted to firefighter assistance grants to keep firehouses open. In other words, not to let the firefighter infrastructure that we have be constricted in such a fashion that some communities are having to contemplate."

Forum Member

Default Left Coast is great!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CalmB4Storm View Post
    L.A.?

Holy $hit, I just ruined my keyboard!

Even if tier 5 went through and the health bennies were cut in half you would have a better chance of surviving your retirement than under Arnold and company. Cali-fornia is doomed.

Things are pretty good here on the Left Coast. I made over 180K as a fire engineer (or apparatus operator/driver) working 24 hours shifts. We work a modified Kelly Schedule where you work 10 24 hour shifts a month. The weather is great (75 degrees at Christmas!!!), the women are beautiful, the people here like us. Our retirement is fiscally secure with a 3% at 50 formula where I am able to retire at 50 yrs old at 100% of my highest paid year (minus OT), 3% for each year on the job. Some departments have a drop program where they can "retire" collect their retirement checks, and have their earned paychecks placed into an account they can get when they fully retire in 5 years. That account could have over 500K in it, on top of your deferred comp on top of your pension.

I pay pennies for a PPO health plan for myself and my family, department paid Long Term Disability, fully funded retirement health plan, deferred comp plan, pension has survivor benefits built in so if I check out early, my family continues to collect.

We have great equipment, great stations, you get to go on wildland fires all over California (kind of like a camping trip).

As for The Governator, sure we have had our struggles with him, but our Union is strong, he failed going after our pension plans before, and he had enough problems with the budget. California has the best pension plan in the world, hands down, fiscally sound, protected by law, worth in the tens of billions.

I know it is not The City, but if you love the ocean, love great weather, love beautiful women then check us out!!!!

Forum Member

CHUCK BENNETT
    Courtesy of New York Post

The long-cherished "20 and out" rule that allows cops to collect pensions in their 40s is a relic of the past that should go the way of the neighborhood call box and the six-shot service revolver, retired cops say.

Many retired officers, from detectives to career flatfoots, called Mayor Bloomberg's cost-cutting effort to make new recruits work at least 25 years and reach age 50 before being eligible for a pension a fair compromise during this time of economic crisis.

"I don't consider it unreasonable. People are dying for jobs right now," said Michael Bailey, who retired as a detective in 2007 at the age of 43.

Bailey retired exactly 11 days after completing his 20th year on the force the last few years, he said, on an elite counterterrorism team.

He augments his roughly $60,000 yearly pension with a corporate security job that provides a six-figure salary, far more than he earned during his last year as a cop.

"In the beginning it might seem generous, but that pension is locked in for life. It doesn't grow much," Bailey said. "If you go out and find a decent job that pays $50,000 you don't have to worry."

He predicted that Bloomberg's proposal would become a reality, especially since the city is projected to be on the hook for as much as $7.8 billion 11 percent of the entire projected $70 billion budget by 2013.

"If you go to most major metropolitan cities now, they've all already moved to it," he said of raising the retirement requirement beyond the current 20 years.

"I guarantee the city gets it in three or four years. They will squeeze. The unions used to be powerful; now they are nothing."

There are 10,381 retired NYPD officers between 40 and 49 now collecting pensions. The average pension is $43,000, not including a $12,000 supplement known as a "Christmas bonus" distributed every December, for regular nondisability service retirees under age 50.

Bloomberg's proposal, which is the subject of negotiations with the Municipal Labor Committee and legislators in Albany, would affect only future officers, firefighters and other workers not yet hired.

Additional reporting by Perry Chiaramonte

Forum Member

Yeah I read that one yesterday^^. I get down time at work sometimes so I always read the papers. But I gotta say, I think I'm seriously done with the post....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by QNS6019JAN09 View Post
    Maybe in the future we can have the Candidate , Hopefuls , active and retired members that use this board meet up. When I went to the budget hearing with sleepy hollow we bounced some ideas at each other and it kind of took me back to the prep course days at the rock when I actually had some people in my life I could relate to. Just putting that out there.
    That sounds like a good idea to keep everyone motivated. I'm game!

Forum Member

Hopefully the FDNY/city is applying for SAFER grants through FEMA/Homeland Security??? These SAFER grants provide funding for hiring new firefighters.
    SAFER= Staffing for Adequate Fire and Emergency Response.

http://www.fireengineering.com/displ...ill-be-intense

Forum Member

Not to burst your bubble bro, the FDNY won't get any SAFER grants. The FDNY is +1 over the NFPA reccomendation of 4 fireman per rig (+2 on the ladders obviously) and the thing that SAFER does is show that hiring these men will have a drastic impact on response times. IE if a small community with 2 fire houses wanted to build a third fire house, it would drastically impact that community.

Good thought, but our best bet is that things get rolling again in january.

Hit that stairmaster!!!! lol

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by OCFirePM View Post
    Things are pretty good here on the Left Coast. I made over 180K as a fire engineer (or apparatus operator/driver) working 24 hours shifts. We work a modified Kelly Schedule where you work 10 24 hour shifts a month. The weather is great (75 degrees at Christmas!!!), the women are beautiful, the people here like us. Our retirement is fiscally secure with a 3% at 50 formula where I am able to retire at 50 yrs old at 100% of my highest paid year (minus OT), 3% for each year on the job. Some departments have a drop program where they can "retire" collect their retirement checks, and have their earned paychecks placed into an account they can get when they fully retire in 5 years. That account could have over 500K in it, on top of your deferred comp on top of your pension.

I pay pennies for a PPO health plan for myself and my family, department paid Long Term Disability, fully funded retirement health plan, deferred comp plan, pension has survivor benefits built in so if I check out early, my family continues to collect.

We have great equipment, great stations, you get to go on wildland fires all over California (kind of like a camping trip).

As for The Governator, sure we have had our struggles with him, but our Union is strong, he failed going after our pension plans before, and he had enough problems with the budget. California has the best pension plan in the world, hands down, fiscally sound, protected by law, worth in the tens of billions.

I know it is not The City, but if you love the ocean, love great weather, love beautiful women then check us out!!!!

Just curious I ran into a LAFD member on Vac here a few weeks ago...he said he just broke 100 as a fireman assigned to a Task Force (can't remember number)....how many hours is your work week? I seem to recall it was many more than our 40. Perhaps I misunderstood him.

Not that your pay sounds that bad...but If as I suspect you are working close to 16 more hours a week than us(I would hope on OT)...then I'd be pulling in much bigger numbers as well.(16hours per week x 52-6(vac)=$46G's more a year at least) How many appearances a year do you have?

Although I do admit your Engineers do make a fair amount as compared to our joke of a stipend. That is one thing our union has always had a problem in fighting for...(many have tried to make the case that we should be paid what an operating engineer or building Engineer gets paid since we operate pumps and hydraulics...but to no avail.)

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED View Post
    Just curious I ran into a LAFD member on Vac here a few weeks ago...he said he just broke 100 as a fireman assigned to a Task Force (can't remember number)....how many hours is your work week? I seem to recall it was many more than our 40. Perhaps I misunderstood him.

Not that your pay sounds that bad...but If as I suspect you are working close to 16 more hours a week than us(I would hope on OT)...then I'd be pulling in much bigger numbers as well.(16hours per week x 52-6(vac)=$46G's more a year at least) How many appearances a year do you have?

Although I do admit your Engineers do make a fair amount as compared to our joke of a stipend. That is one thing our union has always had a problem in fighting for...(many have tried to make the case that we should be paid what an operating engineer or building Engineer gets paid since we operate pumps and hydraulics...but to no avail.)

FTM-PTB

We have a 56 hour work week, but in actuality we work 10 24 hour shifts a month on a modified Kelly schedule. We really do not look at our schedule as a weekly thing, but rather monthly. Like this:

XOXOOXOXOOOO repeat

X: Day on
    O: Day off

Base salary firefighters here in Southern CA, are at 70-100K salary, then benefits/bonuses/overtime on top of that. We get percentages for a lot of stuff like HAZMAT, Paramedic, Associates Degree, Bachelor's Degree, Fire Officer/Chief Officer certification, Arson team, etc....All of this is added into retirement.

In order to make what I did, I probably work 3-4 extra shifts a month, but when on 24 hour shifts, it really is not that bad. I just work a lot of 72 hour shifts during the tour, so my commute is less, and then I get my stretch of days off to do whatever. It works out pretty well, easy to get shifts off for vacations and such, we can trade out as many shifts as we need for vacation, so sometimes guys can get a month or two off work without burning any vacation time....

Thread Information