Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Queens6019 View Post
    If anyone is looking for a heart rate monitor. I came across a great deal. It got great reviews and the shipping is free. When I bought my mine I dropped at least twice the amount.
    http://www.buy.com/prod/Reebok-Preci...208386268.html

Damn man, I spent well over a hundred on my polar brand monitor. I'm such a freakin sucker. Anyone who needs one and doesn't have one, would be a stupid to sleep on this.....
    Last edited by roadrunner09; 03-30-2009 at 02:48 AM.

Forum Member

Lightbulb Beware of certain investigators

Quote Originally Posted by QCFRANKC View Post
    I got a letter from FDNY yesterday on March 24th. They want an updated pay stub, proof of residency and they are saying that they did not recieve any of the letters from my 3 character references. I know that all 3 of my character references returned the letters to the FDNY C.I.D. so I have to get this straightened out.
    Did anyone else get a letter asking to update their investigation?
    By any chance QCFRANKC, is your investigator a female;first letter of her name begin with E ??? i know of a few who have had her as a investigator and had a lot of problems with her . She looks for any reason to disqualify canidates. She just a miserable individual who doesn't want anyone to get the job if she can help it .Heard of numerous canidates whose scores have been readjusted because of their city residency was not good enough for her.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by exam6019 View Post
    By any chance QCFRANKC, is your investigator a female;first letter of her name begin with E ??? i know of a few who have had her as a investigator and had a lot of problems with her . She looks for any reason to disqualify canidates. She just a miserable individual who doesn't want anyone to get the job if she can help it .Heard of numerous canidates whose scores have been readjusted because of their city residency was not good enough for her.
    City residency shouldn't be too hard to prove if you actually reside in the city

Forum Member

Council Fire Chair Tells FDNY: Don't Close Cos.
    Demands Top Staff Cuts First
    By ARI PAUL

The Chief-Leader/Michel Friang

SEES FAT AT THE TOP: City Council Fire and Criminal Justice Services Committee Chair James Vacca has called on the Fire Department to make more cuts at the top level of the agency before discussions on ladder and engine company closings go forward. In particular, he rejected the rationale for having five Borough Commanders.

If the Fire Department is going to meet the confines of Mayor Bloomberg's austerity budget, it must make significant cuts in top personnel before it looks to close fire companies, City Council Fire and Criminal Justice Services Committee Chair James Vacca told THE CHIEF-LEADER March 24.

Mr. Vacca has been outspoken about the proposal to close 16 fire companies, among them Ladder Co. 53 on City Island in The Bronx, which he represents. Union officials and management have agreed these cuts will increase response times, but Fire Commissioner Nicholas Scoppetta has insisted they won't jeopardize public safety.

Wants Borough Heads Hosed

But Mr. Vacca has called for alternative cost-cutting, one that starts at the top of the department, rather than what he sees as starting from the on-ground services, he said, that matter the most to city residents. He took particular issue with the department keeping five highly-paid Borough Commanders.

"We did away with the Borough Commanders in the 1990s administratively," he said. 'We didn't need Borough Commanders. You take The Bronx. We have two divisions in The Bronx: one in The Bronx entirely and one that goes into The Bronx and northern Manhattan. So with that kind of division set up, why do we need Borough Commanders?"

Fire Commissioner Nicholas Scoppetta defended the command structure during a committee hearing March 20, saying that it adds to continuity in the department. But Mr. Vacca did not accept this answer.

"It wasn't satisfactory to me," he said.

While the city budget does not call for layoffs at the FDNY, it does eliminate several hundred firefighting jobs through attrition.

Too Many Chiefs?

"I was surprised when I saw the Commissioner get up to leave, how many people left with him," he said. "All these Chiefs got up and left with the Commissioner, and I'm saying to myself, 'Have there been comparable cuts at the top levels?' We're talking about cutting firemen and ladder and engine companies. I haven't seen that there's been a corresponding reduction in personnel, upper management and Other-Than-Personal-Services."

In his testimony, Mr. Scoppetta said, "All civilian vacancies as of December 2008 have been eliminated, except those that are revenue-producing or in dispatch operations." He added, "For our Randall's Island, Fort Totten and Maspeth fleet facilities, we discontinued contracts for security services by March 1, 2009 for a savings of $1.1 million. We are redeploying 39 training personnel to the field to reduce overtime. This will save approximately $1.5 million in Fiscal Year 2010."

Mr. Vacca said community members will send a petition to Mayor Bloomberg on April 12, Easter Sunday, urging him to not go through with the cuts. City Island could face an average 10-minute fire response time from a nearby ladder company if the cuts are enacted, he said.

"That's going to be people who come to City Island to have lunch or dinner, because Easter Sunday's a big day on City Island, because we have a large restaurant community," he said.

Forum Member

King Heads Congress's Fire Services Caucus

Long Island U.S. Rep. Peter King has been chosen to chair the Congressional Fire Services caucus, which considers and promotes legislation benefiting firefighters and other firstresponders, throughout the 111th Congress.

The Chairman's position rotates every two years between Republican and Democratic Members of Congress and has previously been held by Vice President Biden and Arizona Sen. John McCain.

Mr. King, a ninth-term Congressman from Nassau County, has long been an advocate for increased funding and improved safety protections for first-responders, and has called for strengthening the role of the Federal Emergency Management Administration and the U.S. Fire Administration within the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

Forum Member

I'm glad they are doing upgrades to the pedestrian bridge on randalls island for only 14.3 million.

http://www.reuters.com/article/bonds...34255220090330
    Stimulus Money Not Working For Fire Departments
    http://www.firefighterhourly.com/fir...artmentss.html
    Last edited by Queens6019; 03-31-2009 at 01:36 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Queens6019 View Post
    I'm glad they are doing upgrades to the pedestrian bridge on randalls island for only 14.3 million.
    It's amazing the priorities of the government both local and federal, protecting the public with proper staffing and funding of the FD is not as important as renaming the Triboro, rebuilding things that can wait 5 years for some better financial times, etc.

Forum Member

FYI By April 8th the City council will make recommendations to the mayor and respond to the Preliminary budget .

Forum Member

i didnt see anything on the council website for this, where did you get this info? Also I'll be unable to attend this one.... can anyone go if it's public?

Forum Member

Its in the last budget document, the second page, read the page and then also the small print on the bottom, I dont know if it is going to be a hearing, could be a report etc.
    http://council.nyc.gov/html/budget/P..._fems_3_09.pdf
    Last edited by Queens6019; 03-31-2009 at 08:42 PM.

Forum Member

Anyone hear anything lately regarding if they are having an EMS promo test? I'm wondering if the hopefully January 2010 class will be promo and 6019, or just 6019

Forum Member

Default Fdny

My investigators first name begins with M

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 6fthook View Post
    Anyone hear anything lately regarding if they are having an EMS promo test? I'm wondering if the hopefully January 2010 class will be promo and 6019, or just 6019
    NO, refunds were mailed out for the $40 application fee and there will be no promo exam till 2011 and no Jan 2010 class.....2011 is when everyone should start checking this thread again.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JerkAlert View Post
    NO, refunds were mailed out for the $40 application fee and there will be no promo exam till 2011 and no Jan 2010 class.....2011 is when everyone should start checking this thread again.
    what's your source on this no jan 2010 class stuff?

Forum Member

http://ny1.com/Default.aspx?ArID=96623
    Maybe someone can post a brief summary, anything applies to us,I Cant listen to it at work or school, and my sound card is broken on home computer.
    Last edited by Queens6019; 04-01-2009 at 12:12 PM.

Forum Member

Default Grapevine

Alright guys, I havent posted in quite sometime but do read this forum almost everyday. If you read all my old posts you will see that im pretty much accurate in my findings as I have a great hookup at metrotech and some higher ranks. what im about to say again, take it with a grain of salt cause just because I am mostly accurate with what im told, you never know what could happen in these troubled time of ours. I was told that this rumor that there will be layoffs is accurate but the number is questionable! There certainly will not be any class anytime soon meaning minimum of 2 yrs as people laid off will be rehired between 1.5 yrs and 3 yrs of themselves being laid off, and thats based in the number of retirements in that time! They are saying as likttle as 300, but as many as 700 will be laid off, looking more realistic in the number of 4-500 though at this point, thats if they close the firehouses that they say there gonna close. This will effect probably the 2nd class of 07 which was the 1st 23 week, and will definetely effect the classes up until the last hirees. I was told things are not looking good, the only thing that will save new people from being hired is if they DO NOT close firehouses down, Get into this job everyone as you do have a say, send letters, hold rallys, if there protesting firehouses closing down, GO THERE! If this is the job you want, get into the job now! Im a firefighter and was told that I was safe being on the job as long as i have been hired when i was, but things could change everyday people, Help the FDNY and keep there tradition alive, Be part of the solution!

Forum Member

I posted this before, but I will post it again. Send this letter, or something like it to EVERYONE that you know in the five boroughs, and have them send it to their councilman.

Send this letter out IMMEDIATELY!!! Budget will get voted on before you know it!

Here is a copy, and I will attach the .doc file.

March 21, 2009

Dear Councilman,

Please consider this correspondence as one of the strongest opinions of opposition your office has ever received. I strongly oppose any budget put forth by the mayor, which includes the proposed cuts to either 16 individual companies, or to the elimination of the 5th man within 65 engine companies in the FDNY.

The Fire Department of New York City is a vital city agency that can and must be likened to that of the Police Department and Department of Education. The cuts that the commissioner has proposed will absolutely have a negative impact on the communities that they serve. The commissionersí proposal to eliminate the 5th man from 65 engine companies will also have a significantly negative impact in those communities. Those 65 engine companies are not chosen at random to have extra manning; they are placed at companies where the workload for the firefighters is highest. Studies by the FDNY have shown that there is a SIGNIFICANT reduction in the amount of time it takes to get water on a fire when the 5th man is added into the equation.

I challenge you sir, to vote no for any budget that includes these cuts. In a city budget of over 50 billion dollars, please provide the 25 million the FDNY needs to keep operating in the current safe and efficient manner. These cuts jeopardize life and limb of citizens and firefighters alike.

Councilman, should you support the FDNY in this matter, I can promise you that you will have the support of my family, friends, neighbors and myself. Thank you for your time.

Respectfully yours,

Your Name
    Constituent of Your District
    Any Street
    Any Borough
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by SleepyHollow; 04-01-2009 at 04:04 PM.

Forum Member

The one thing I'm probably gonna change is the following:

"Councilman, should you support the FDNY in this matter, I can promise you that you will have the support of my family, friends, neighbors and myself. If you do not show your support, I can just as strongly promise you the opposite. Thank you for your time."

Also, are you only allowed to vote for the council member in your district, or any and all of them??

Forum Member

Default letters

Thanks again for the letter, mailed out 5 of them today.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyHollow View Post
    what's your source on this no jan 2010 class stuff?
    I don't have a "source" its common sense. They are talking about laying off guys. Promo was postponed till 2011. Guys who get laid off get their jobs back first and then maybe, if enough guys retire on top of that and they aren't over staffed to ****, and guys aren't extra, sitting around the kitchen, taking showers, working out while the truck and eng. are out maybe they will put a new class in.

Who knows, we all want to get on. Its just this thread as good as it is for guys to talk, it can also send false hope. Its kinda like Obama is for our country right now....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JerkAlert View Post
    ... guys aren't extra, sitting around the kitchen, taking showers, working out while the truck and eng. are out ....
    Gentle reminder: you WILL be drug tested.

Forum Member

looks like i better start digging out my fdny study guide and other fire test books since this list will totally expire before it reaches me #2615 (i thought i had a chance) ill do better on the next one

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by myles8683 View Post
    looks like i better start digging out my fdny study guide and other fire test books since this list will totally expire before it reaches me #2615 (i thought i had a chance) ill do better on the next one
    dont jump to that we have at least three years and as time passes they will go through the list faster then they did with this first class....keep the faith and keep training

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by myles8683 View Post
    or you could go back two pages where i posted that i heard the commissioner himself say that this list would be extended past four years....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyHollow View Post
    or you could go back two pages where i posted that i heard the commissioner himself say that this list would be extended past four years....
    Also the commish said he expects the list to get in the 4000's before another open competitive test is given.

Thread Information