Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

Forum Member

I'm going to a doctor next week to set up my surgery. I was told 20/40 or better uncorrected is what is needed to pass. Mine is slightly less than that. Since I've considered this for some time, this is just the push I've needed to go ahead and get it done.

Forum Member

whats been the avg cost of lasik if you where to pay for it out of pocket

Forum Member

I don't have any hard numbers yet, but I'm looking at around 5k I think.

edit: I've not heard of any insurance covering this surgery yet, so everyone pays out of pocket I believe.
    Last edited by Irish6019; 03-01-2008 at 06:38 PM.

Forum Member

mine was $4600 4 years ago, so it should be much cheaper by now. Also, some insurances do pay a percentage of it, look into it better.

Forum Member

yeah my icompany only covers about 25% lasik not much but better then nothing i guess

Forum Member

Mine was ~3500 and as long as I went with a provider my insurance covered (which I did) they covered 20%. And I got a 15% discount for being FDNY. So it wasn't covered 100%, but it's better than nothing. I am on a monthly, no interest payment plan of about $150/month.

Forum Member

Default Lasik

"Red2117 Mine was ~3500 and as long as I went with a provider my insurance covered (which I did) they covered 20%. And I got a 15% discount for being FDNY. So it wasn't covered 100%, but it's better than nothing. I am on a monthly, no interest payment plan of about $150/month. "

-Red2117...are you an actual firefighter..or proby..or are you just on the 6019 list. I just wanted to know cause you managed to get the fdny discount...what kind of identification did they ask you for, because i'm looking to get my eyes done..and was just wondering

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Residency Question

Hello all,

I have a question regarding residency for the 5 points on the exam. I have no problem proving residency I live in the bronx, have all the paperwork, leases etc. Here is my question on the notice of exam it said in order to get the 5pts for residency you had to prove it from Mar 07 - Mar 08 this I can do and then some. I am looking to buy a co-op outside of the Bronx in Westchester Co. and would like to do that around May or June of this year.
    Does anyone know if this will mess up my residency points? Do I have to show residency in the Bronx up till the date I get hired or just till March of 08?
    Thanks for the info.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with the poor timid spirits, who know neither victory nor defeat." FDR

Forum Member

just got my letter for the orientation..couple of questions...How long did it take it says three hours is that how long it took, what did people wear was it formal like the interview or was it athletic wear..what days are the classes now...during the day or at night, what days during the week?...Thanks in advance

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hopefully09 View Post
    ARe the orientations mandatory? They are pretty much the same exact thing theyve been showing us at the rock
    two of them are..this is the orientation where you go to the rock to sign up for the classes etc...i was wondering how long they are because I gotta take off from work it says three hours, is it that long? shorter?

Forum Member

if you want the job that bad than it shouldn't matter how long the classes are!! deal with it because if not there are 20,000 people behind you who are dyeing for that opportunity

Forum Member

Ant, you were just at the monday night prep class at the rock? Blue shirt, Shaved head?

Forum Member

thanks hopefull..and gettingready don't question how much i do or don't want the job I'm just checking to see if I have to take off from work sometimes these things tend to run longer or shorter then they say they are, and I wanted to make sure I had to take the day from work

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrOOkLyN718 View Post
    "
    -Red2117...are you an actual firefighter..or proby..or are you just on the 6019 list. I just wanted to know cause you managed to get the fdny discount...what kind of identification did they ask you for, because i'm looking to get my eyes done..and was just wondering
    I'm on 6019. Once I got my list number I signed up for it immediately. They didn't ask for any proof. Apparently a lot of guys get it done to pass the medical-the five or so places I called all offered it so I'd definitely recommend asking.

Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by GettinReady6019 View Post
    if you want the job that bad than it shouldn't matter how long the classes are!! deal with it because if not there are 20,000 people behind you who are dyeing for that opportunity
    hey *********, some peoples whole lives don't revolve around wanting to be a fireman. Many are adults and have jobs and families they have to support and need to make plans. Maybe you can tell the head lifeguard at your summer job that you can't come into work, but others have real responsibilities.

Forum Member

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckNorris View Post
    hey *********, some peoples whole lives don't revolve around wanting to be a fireman. Many are adults and have jobs and families they have to support and need to make plans. Maybe you can tell the head lifeguard at your summer job that you can't come into work, but others have real responsibilities.
    Hey ChuckNorris just for your information I have a carrer with BIG resposobilities...i wasnt trying to be a dick to matty21, just giving out some info..so you should mind your own buisness, and most people who do revolve thier life around wanting to be a fireman usally sucseed

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckNorris View Post
    Then it shouldn't be too big of a deal to throw in the towel.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hopefully09 View Post
    I hate it when people come on here, telling other people 'you don't want the job that much' and *****. Give me a break. Get off your high horse, we all want this job so bad.
    thank you...

Forum Member

Cool Dcas Orient.

does any1 know how we have to dress for the DCAS orientation on friday..?

Default My # sucks

My list # is 51**. When do you think I might get called.

Received The orientation letters from DCAS.....then I get another letter for the psych....4 days before I am supposed to show up for both.... gotta love the ample time they give you to take off from work/school/life.... anyway... I have not received anything about the medical, and I know some of you have.... anyone get the psych b4 the medical? Or did the mailman lose mine ?
    3** on 6019

Forum Member

just received two letters from DCAS for my orientation..anyone else get this or been to this? How is this different from the classes at the Rock? any info on this would be very helpful

Forum Member

For the orientation at DCAS, I think you can wear sweatpants, t shirt, etc. If you read the letter again its says you will get "Hands on" etc.

Forum Member

hopefeull i got letters for 3/11 and 3/15

Forum Member

when you guys call CID do you get a person to answer or someones voicemail?

the only answer i've gotten when i called was the 999 FDNY number

Thread Information