Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 163 of 618 FirstFirst ... 63113153160161162163164165166173213263 ... LastLast
Results 3,241 to 3,260 of 12347
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fd211ny View Post
    well i just lost my job today anyone notice anything familiar about whats going on right now... were going code3 into a depression......
    I'm very sorry to hear that, fd211ny. Were you on the job btw? This economic crisis is taking a huge toll on everyone in this forum. Let's keep praying that things will turnaround soon.
    6019- was sitting at 13xx
    2000- now sitting at 18xx

Forum Member

iam confused about the city and theyre fiscal calendar. what year are we in now? is it 2009 already? whats wrong with the regular calnedar

Forum Member

also. if anybody could answer this question for me i would greatly appreciate it. my list number is 26##. ,

i was enlisted in the coast guard but separted and figured id work at my uncles restaurant until the fdny got around to me. i sighned some papers saying if i reenlisted prior to 2 years i wouldnt get reduced in rank. considering i was an E-5 a rank reduction would suck? my 2 years is coming up this april and iam at a crucial deciding point. since my coast guard enlistment commitment would be for 3yrs and then 6019 would most likely expire. any help?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by myles8683 View Post
    also. if anybody could answer this question for me i would greatly appreciate it. my list number is 26##. ,

i was enlisted in the coast guard but separted and figured id work at my uncles restaurant until the fdny got around to me. i sighned some papers saying if i reenlisted prior to 2 years i wouldnt get reduced in rank. considering i was an E-5 a rank reduction would suck? my 2 years is coming up this april and iam at a crucial deciding point. since my coast guard enlistment commitment would be for 3yrs and then 6019 would most likely expire. any help?
    I think there are exceptions for military. If they get around to you while you are on active duty, there are rules that can keep you eligible even after the list expires. I could very well be talking outta my a** though. You should contact the right fdny department and ask them.....
    Last edited by roadrunner09; 12-19-2008 at 01:19 PM.

Forum Member

MYLES,
    I believe if your number is reached when you are on active duty you join the next class after you leave the military (Even if your list is expired). Also your time for retirement is based on the date you would have been hired had you not been on active duty. As the previous poster noted I would definitely contact the FDNY and find out for sure. The main info line is 718-999-2000.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by myles8683 View Post

myles im right around your list number and its going to be a while if they even reach us after reading that there going to hire very few in the future. everyone needs to go on with their lives.if the fdny says you are still eligible even if the list expires go for it. good luck

Forum Member

Myles, Just to give you a heads up. Im sure its going to be awhile before any of us get hired. Im in the 1300s and i would say im not getting for at least a year. With the money situation being so bad, I'm might volenteer for another tour overseas. I might as well as do something with my time. Now, I'm not sure if you know this, if you reenlist, for what ever amount of time that may be, If you get called and you are within 90 days of the end of your contract you can request early separation from service. It will go up your chain of command and because FDNY is a emergency municipal, more then likely you will be approved. Now if you get called and you are more than 90 days, by law they must hold your spot. Its part of the "Soldiers and Sailors Act".
    Last edited by FDNYUSMC; 12-19-2008 at 04:54 PM.

Forum Member

NY POST - Bloomberg screwing new hires

IF there is any silver lining to the in creasingly dark storm clouds hovering over our economy, it's that it creates an opportunity for action on problems that have been ignored for decades.
    In Washington, there is growing talk of investing in the infrastructure our nation needs to remain competitive in the global economy. And in Albany, Gov. Paterson has proposed legislation to rein in pension costs - which have ballooned in recent years and are now driving potential tax hikes and layoffs.
    Especially in these tough times, taxpayers deserve to know that government is operating as efficiently as possible. But right now, New York City is spending so much money on pensions - $6.3 billion, a 10-fold increase from the $695 million we spent in 2000 - that we have far less to spend on core services, such as public safety, education, parks and senior centers. That defies common sense, and it's hurting our city.
    For instance, the city now has to spend more money on pensions and fringe benefits for firefighters than we pay in salaries for firefighters.

That's one reason we've had to delay the hiring of a new class of firefighters.

All in all, letting pension costs continue to balloon harms taxpayers and makes recessions like the one we are in now even more difficult to climb out of.
    Passing pension reform won't be easy, but this year may be our best hope. The governor's proposal, which our administration helped develop and strongly supports, would create immediate savings that would reach $540 million annually after 20 years. The proposal has two crucial parts.
    The first part would eliminate for future employees two pension sweeteners that the state enacted during the boom years of the last decade. One sweetener allows employees to stop contributing to their pensions after 10 years of service; the other expands pension eligibility by reducing the required number of years of city service from 10 to five. Together, they have cost the city and state $1.8 billion since 2000.
    Current employees will continue to enjoy these benefits, but as the state and city grapple with huge deficits, common sense says that all future hires should do their part once again. That means contributing to their pensions throughout their careers - as is standard practice in the private sector - and serving 10 years before becoming eligible for pension benefits, rather than five.
    The second part of the governor's plan would modernize a pension system that hasn't been updated in 25 years and no longer makes sense, given longer life expectancies. Right now, uniformed city workers can retire after only 20 years of service. That means government is paying full pension benefits to many people whose retirements begin in their early 40s (although most continue working full-time in other jobs) and stretch for more than 40 years.
    I believe that - again, only for future hires - we should raise the number of years required for a full pension for uniformed workers from 20 to 25, and provide retirement benefits to these future employees only after they reach 50.
    New York City can't continue to offer the next generation of workers gold-plated pension benefits that even the most successful companies can't afford today.
    The Big Three automakers offer some of the best pension plans in the private sector, yet even they cannot match the generosity of New York state government. And Detroit's expensive pension plans are part of the reason why the automakers are teetering on bankruptcy and pleading for a bailout in Washington.
    New York went down that road in the 1970s, and we can't afford to go back.
    Back then, thankfully, city and state leaders came together to deal with the structural causes of the fiscal crisis, adopting long-term measures to address them, including pension reforms. In fact, elected officials have adopted pension reforms at various points over the past four decades, just not in the last 25 years. The time has come again.
    We can't wait for the specter of bankruptcy to threaten us once more. By proposing pension reforms, Gov. Paterson is demonstrating a quality all too rare in politics - courageous leadership. I look forward to working with him to pass his plan in the Legislature.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=Queens6019;1017111]NY POST - Bloomberg screwing new hires

For instance, the city now has to spend more money on pensions and fringe benefits for firefighters than we pay in salaries for firefighters.

That's one reason we've had to delay the hiring of a new class of firefighters

I thought changing something like the pension for firefighters had to do with contract negotiations. Could it be that maybe the freeze could be a stall tactic for the city so when the next time negotiations come around for a new contract, a new (aka worse) pension is included for new hires? Also hopefully the FF union will have something to say about messing around with the pension. Bloomy shows no love to city workers. He dramatically cut the starting salary at one point and now he's going after a good pension plan. "Ain't no love in the heart of the city"

Forum Member

a 25yr retirement would be a big blow for new hires but if thats what it takes for us to get hired sign me up

Forum Member

my dad was talking to me about this today. its jsut an excuse granted im not as smart as him and i cant elaberate on it but the pension system has nothing to do with whats going on right now

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hopefully09 View Post
    No class

Brooklyn: To Voicer Annie Sullivan: I also knew a young man in the Dec. 7 firefighters' class. He had given notice to his employer before the FDNY rescinded its offer. Thankfully, he was able to keep his old job. Shame on the mayor.

Karen Martinez

I actually just read that same snippet in the daily news at work a couple hours ago. All I ever seem to read about is people being fed up with the mayor...
    Last edited by roadrunner09; 12-21-2008 at 02:17 AM.

Forum Member

Gents, That is why they tell you not to quit your present job until the last minute. However you should always give your two weeks notice. But Dont Quit until it is certain you are going to get hired.

Forum Member

it seemed pretty damn certain on december 7th

Forum Member

And most importantly DO NOT VOTE FOR DOOMBURG AGAIN!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fdnyjan09 View Post
    And most importantly DO NOT VOTE FOR DOOMBURG AGAIN!!!
    LOL @ doomburg! I haven't heard that one yet. Freakin gold....

Forum Member

Gents, I know this is tough stuff to deal with, but please don't get to wound up trying to pin this setback on Bloomberg. It's pretty rare that one person is to blame for a misfortune and this time is no different. Thank Wall St. for creating the bubble, over-leveraged consumers cutting back on spending, the declining real estate market curbing real estate taxes, huge job layoffs in the private sector reducing income tax receipts, etc. Whomever you thank, don't forget that we're all somewhat complicit in this mess we're in.

He's making cutbacks because there is NO MONEY, not because he just feels like bashing the FD. Look at the huge cuts across the board for all city agencies and you'll see that we're not alone in feeling the pain.

The only way the FD can continue hiring is by continuing to get money from the city. The only way the city can get more money is by raising taxes, which seems like it might happen anyway and will likely cause just as much outrage, or, 2. having the economy turn around; which isn't very likely in the immediate future.

Trust me, I don't want this to happen either. I'm not a huge Bloomberg supporter and, honestly, could care less who's mayor. It won't make much of a difference either way. Not having money is not having any money and, to keep going, it's gotta come from somewhere.

The point is to not try to always blame someone for misfortunes. Bad stuff happens. Period. You work through it. If you're in a fire and the roof man struggles to get the bulkhead door, you can't stand up, point your finger blaming him, and stop your search. You've gotta get the job done, so you dig down and do what you've gotta do; not worrying about what someone else is or isn't doing.

In this case, that means you've gotta stay motivated and determined. Like many have said before me, go back to school, learn a trade, do some traveling, try to continually learn and better yourself as much as you can. If things turn around and the job comes calling some day, decide then whether you'll go for it. You'll have new skills to take with you, if you maximized your waiting time.

If it doesn't then, well, it wasn't meant to be. I'm a believer in everything happens for a reason; mainly because it's the only way I can explain why I am where I am. I'm pretty sure it's the same for everyone else...

Stay safe, stay motivated, enjoy life.

-Proby Scum
    Just a peon proby in the greatest job in the world; grinning ear to ear.

Forum Member

Pretty tough for guys who had an appointment letter in hand to see it that way. Yeah, you gotta keep on marching, but I can certainly see how the guys that got screwed out of this class need to blow off some steam. And Bloomberg's got a hell of a nerve to say there's no money for a class of probies literally weeks after spending $4 million to change the signs on the Triboro Bridge to the RFK Bridge. Think how you would've felt on June 17 if you had got a phone call saying sorry, not happening this class after passing the run and telling everyone you knew you had gotten on the FDNY. Lighten up everyone needs to do a little complaining now and again. You guys who got screwed hang in there and stay ready. The advice you're getting as far as school or working toward a career is sound and you should do so. But there's nothing wrong with voicing a state of ****-off as long as you keep doing what you gotta do.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SeminoleB View Post
    Gents, I know this is tough stuff to deal with, but please don't get to wound up trying to pin this setback on Bloomberg. It's pretty rare that one person is to blame for a misfortune and this time is no different. Thank Wall St. for creating the bubble, over-leveraged consumers cutting back on spending, the declining real estate market curbing real estate taxes, huge job layoffs in the private sector reducing income tax receipts, etc. Whomever you thank, don't forget that we're all somewhat complicit in this mess we're in.

He's making cutbacks because there is NO MONEY, not because he just feels like bashing the FD. Look at the huge cuts across the board for all city agencies and you'll see that we're not alone in feeling the pain.

The only way the FD can continue hiring is by continuing to get money from the city. The only way the city can get more money is by raising taxes, which seems like it might happen anyway and will likely cause just as much outrage, or, 2. having the economy turn around; which isn't very likely in the immediate future.

Trust me, I don't want this to happen either. I'm not a huge Bloomberg supporter and, honestly, could care less who's mayor. It won't make much of a difference either way. Not having money is not having any money and, to keep going, it's gotta come from somewhere.

The point is to not try to always blame someone for misfortunes. Bad stuff happens. Period. You work through it. If you're in a fire and the roof man struggles to get the bulkhead door, you can't stand up, point your finger blaming him, and stop your search. You've gotta get the job done, so you dig down and do what you've gotta do; not worrying about what someone else is or isn't doing.

In this case, that means you've gotta stay motivated and determined. Like many have said before me, go back to school, learn a trade, do some traveling, try to continually learn and better yourself as much as you can. If things turn around and the job comes calling some day, decide then whether you'll go for it. You'll have new skills to take with you, if you maximized your waiting time.

If it doesn't then, well, it wasn't meant to be. I'm a believer in everything happens for a reason; mainly because it's the only way I can explain why I am where I am. I'm pretty sure it's the same for everyone else...

Stay safe, stay motivated, enjoy life.

-Proby Scum

Wake up kid.

Bloomberg is a large part of the problem.

There is plenty of money, we are but a fraction of the budget, they just choose to spend most of the money on Bull Sh*t "progams" and "outreach" and "community initatives". If politicians have no taxpayer dollars to throw around to buy votes...they have no power.

Formerly before most of you were probably even born the city had to contribute much larger chunks of money to the different pension funds however at an increasingly rate from 1982 until roughly 2007 with a few hiccups along the way the return on investments fufilled the city's contribution that is required by law.

Now did the city reduce taxes or refund the money not used for pensions that was budgeted every year?....No at the end of the year the money left over from not having to fund the pensions (they largely became self funded) they then spread it around to their favorite pet projects and it became accepted that for the most part there would be some money to buy votes with.

They became addicted to the idea that the pensions would largely fund themselves with the bonus of end of year spending spree on whatever BS handout, community program you can imagine.

Now recall that every year for well over a decade the city has predicted large deficits in out years only to find out that they either broke even or had multi-million dollar surplusses. These are the same surplusses that Bloomsh*t claimed couldn't be used to fund raises for police and firemen because they were used to reduce projected deficits in the out going years.

Therefore it is likely that FY08 and FY09 will be break even years with modest surplusses by doing nothing more than cutting ancilary costs (for the FDNY this would be Recruitment, Diversity and EEO along with BITS and a number of Deputy Commissioner spots.) and Keeping spending flat(ie-no increases as originally planned for without offsetting cuts)

There is money and history shows, much of this is NYC fighting with Albany over how much money they get back from the state and a few c*cksuckers in City Hall taking advantage of the current atmosphere to attain some long time objectives of theirs...namely, closing firehouses and pension reform(aka-f*cking the workingman). Meanwhile City council members and his staff get double digit pay increases and bonuses that we will never see.

Things are tight and there will be cuts...however much of the blame for our current state of affairs lies at the foot of Mike Bloomberg...if he is as good a businessman as he claims and is the only one talented enought to get us out of this mess...how come he never saw it comming or do anything to lessen the pain of this recession? He needs to go with Scoppetta.

The cuts should be focused on non-essential services...Police & Fire are the core services provided by this city...we shouldn't be subject to the same cuts as Senior centers or library's.

FTM-PTB

PS- If you live in NYC write your councilmen in support of the fire department. If you live in either NYC or NYS write your legistors in Albany in support of keeping our pensions they way they are...they aren't lavish and they aren't free-o's.
    Last edited by FFFRED; 12-22-2008 at 02:08 PM.

Forum Member

FFFred, I don't disagree with you one bit that too much money is wasted on BS projects that could be much better spent on fire, police, and education budgets. I was just trying to get across that I don't think Mikey B is any different than a majority of other leaders. If it's not one "special" project or group, it's another. We hear about pork barrel projects everywhere and it's nothing surprising to realize that it's done here. It's a fault with the system, not necessarily with this one person.

Unless we get an ex-firefighter, cop, or teacher mayor, I don't imagine that a public-safety/education-centric view will be taken to the extent it should be.

Carry, I understand about the frustrations. I'd be let down, too. Hell, it still doesn't seem to impossible that we will end up laid off. That will most definitely suck and I'm really hoping that doesn't happen.

I guess my point was that it is not going change anything if we get all ****ed off and blame Bloomberg. It just seems like wasted negative energy that would be better used to figure out how the hell to get through it.

P.S. I agree with you 100% on the pensions. That's something that's promised and that promise should not be extended if it is not intended to be kept. It should be self-funding and only through gross mismanagement is it allowed to not be. Social Security is the same sham and, unfortunately, will be coming home to roost before too long. It's BS.
    Last edited by SeminoleB; 12-22-2008 at 02:39 PM.
    Just a peon proby in the greatest job in the world; grinning ear to ear.

Thread Information