Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 164 of 618 FirstFirst ... 64114154161162163164165166167174214264 ... LastLast
Results 3,261 to 3,280 of 12347
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

Forum Member

Not blaming Bloomy for everything, just saying he's not done a good enough job for anyone who visits a site like this or anyone OTJ or any other civil service job to vote for the guy a third time.

Yea it sucks and all at but we'll get on eventually, I don't expect there to be hiring when there are too many guys OTJ already, I just want a mayor who doesn't hate blue collar workers and civil servants, most importantly FD and PD of course.

Anyway everyone enjoy your christmas and new years, be safe.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SeminoleB View Post
    FFFred, I don't disagree with you one bit that too much money is wasted on BS projects that could be much better spent on fire, police, and education budgets. I was just trying to get across that I don't think Mikey B is any different than a majority of other leaders. If it's not one "special" project or group, it's another. We hear about pork barrel projects everywhere and it's nothing surprising to realize that it's done here. It's a fault with the system, not necessarily with this one person.

Unless we get an ex-firefighter, cop, or teacher mayor, I don't imagine that a public-safety/education-centric view will be taken to the extent it should be.

Carry, I understand about the frustrations. I'd be let down, too. Hell, it still doesn't seem to impossible that we will end up laid off. That will most definitely suck and I'm really hoping that doesn't happen.

I guess my point was that it is not going change anything if we get all ****ed off and blame Bloomberg. It just seems like wasted negative energy that would be better used to figure out how the hell to get through it.

P.S. I agree with you 100% on the pensions. That's something that's promised and that promise should not be extended if it is not intended to be kept. It should be self-funding and only through gross mismanagement is it allowed to not be. Social Security is the same sham and, unfortunately, will be coming home to roost before too long. It's BS.

Get in the sink!!!!

Forum Member

Just wanted to say Merry x-mas to all, or happy holiday, what ever you prefer.
    List # 13**

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED View Post
    Wake up kid.

Bloomberg is a large part of the problem.

There is plenty of money, we are but a fraction of the budget, they just choose to spend most of the money on Bull Sh*t "progams" and "outreach" and "community initatives". If politicians have no taxpayer dollars to throw around to buy votes...they have no power.

Formerly before most of you were probably even born the city had to contribute much larger chunks of money to the different pension funds however at an increasingly rate from 1982 until roughly 2007 with a few hiccups along the way the return on investments fufilled the city's contribution that is required by law.

Now did the city reduce taxes or refund the money not used for pensions that was budgeted every year?....No at the end of the year the money left over from not having to fund the pensions (they largely became self funded) they then spread it around to their favorite pet projects and it became accepted that for the most part there would be some money to buy votes with.

They became addicted to the idea that the pensions would largely fund themselves with the bonus of end of year spending spree on whatever BS handout, community program you can imagine.

Now recall that every year for well over a decade the city has predicted large deficits in out years only to find out that they either broke even or had multi-million dollar surplusses. These are the same surplusses that Bloomsh*t claimed couldn't be used to fund raises for police and firemen because they were used to reduce projected deficits in the out going years.

Therefore it is likely that FY08 and FY09 will be break even years with modest surplusses by doing nothing more than cutting ancilary costs (for the FDNY this would be Recruitment, Diversity and EEO along with BITS and a number of Deputy Commissioner spots.) and Keeping spending flat(ie-no increases as originally planned for without offsetting cuts)

There is money and history shows, much of this is NYC fighting with Albany over how much money they get back from the state and a few c*cksuckers in City Hall taking advantage of the current atmosphere to attain some long time objectives of theirs...namely, closing firehouses and pension reform(aka-f*cking the workingman). Meanwhile City council members and his staff get double digit pay increases and bonuses that we will never see.

Things are tight and there will be cuts...however much of the blame for our current state of affairs lies at the foot of Mike Bloomberg...if he is as good a businessman as he claims and is the only one talented enought to get us out of this mess...how come he never saw it comming or do anything to lessen the pain of this recession? He needs to go with Scoppetta.

The cuts should be focused on non-essential services...Police & Fire are the core services provided by this city...we shouldn't be subject to the same cuts as Senior centers or library's.

FTM-PTB

PS- If you live in NYC write your councilmen in support of the fire department. If you live in either NYC or NYS write your legistors in Albany in support of keeping our pensions they way they are...they aren't lavish and they aren't free-o's.

ABSOLUTE POETRY!!! (I have written my councilman. I'd love to know how fast his assistant deleted it)......Merry Christmas, people..
    Last edited by roadrunner09; 12-23-2008 at 02:12 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CalmB4Storm View Post
    Get in the sink!!!!
    Yes, Loo; already scrubbing the pot and cleaning the tools right after. I've said too much for a proby. I just get animated about these subjects and it's hard to keep my mouth shut.

Sorry to all. Just my proby scum opinions, which mean nothing.

Continue on.
    Just a peon proby in the greatest job in the world; grinning ear to ear.

Forum Member

happy chanukah bloomberg

FLA1786
    Firehouse.com Guest

Anyone have any clue on how this is effecting the hiring of EMS employees? I don't mean promotional to Firefighter, I mean the actual division of EMS hiring new people.

Forum Member

Default Question....

I apologize for putting these questions here, when they may belong somewhere else.

1) For the guys crossing over from EMS to Fire, do they give them an equated seniority number that, if a number of guys who were hired at the same time crossover at the same time, would have to be a 2 place number after a decimal point? That was the way they had to do it in Chicago, where the FF have 4 digit numbers and the FF/Paramedics that crossed from EMS have 6 digits.
    2) Also, if they are functioning medically on a company, is there a salary level in the UFOA contract for a FF/EMT or FF/PM? Or are they just treated (fiscally) like a Sixth Grade, Fifth Grade, and so on?

Also, it's nice to see the level of involvement that you all take in your efforts to get on the job in NYC. There is obviously a great sense of appreciation for not only the job itself but for the members on it, both retired and active. With cities taking their screwing of the taxpaying public now out on their employees, even the previously sacred public safety branches, it's great to see people taking a definitive stand. Here's to sticking Bloomberg's overnight closings and budget cuts and making the regular folk pay for his mistakes right back up his ***. We'd like to do the same here in Chicago with our idiot mayor (and our indicted governor, too.)

merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and stay safe

keep up the good fight

Forum Member

For anyone thinking of joining FDNY EMS, think again. It is by far the worst job in the world. I have been on the job (EMS) for a year and I too like the rest of you have dreams of being a New York City firefighter. To answer one question off the bat, yes FDNY EMS is currently in a hiring freeze and may have to begin layoffs. The freeze may not last as long as fire or PD because people quit as quickly as they get hired. I am here to warn you guys to stay away from EMS.

First off, money. Without overtime (and OT is short these days) you bring home about $650 BI-WEEKLY. This is not nearly enough money to deal with the amount of bull**** as follows.
    The management in EMS is looking to **** you not help you. It is the exact opposite of fire. It is a thankless organization. You can do everything perfectly on this jon forever and then when you make one honest mistake you're ****ed. The chiefs sit around all day and looks at units on computer screens. They monitor your every move trying to find ways to **** you. If you happen to get ****ed one to mAny times you're not going to fire.

Next, you sit on an ambulance at a god damn corner for 8 to 16 hours a day. You are not allowed to leave your corner for anything that includes going to your station (which you pay a house tax for) to take a ****. You are expected to use the bathrooms at the local bodega or when you get home. Oh and you better hope to god that your partner is cool. There are a lot of fat useless bastards on this job. It's embarrasing. Fire looks like a POS and they have a right to when you look like some of these guys. I run 8 miles a day,cycle, and surf but I work for EMS so I'm a POS.

You will be held hostage at work. They mandate people on a regular basis. If they break the rules of the Operations guide they just change the rule to benefit themselves and yet again f**k you.

On average it will take you 3 hours to cross over. But that's false hope at this point. Go to school, take the next test, move to California and meet a hot girl. I myself am going to dress myself in class A uniform an hang myself outside metrotech. Happy holidays boys.

Fire is still a great job.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FLA1786 View Post
    Anyone have any clue on how this is effecting the hiring of EMS employees? I don't mean promotional to Firefighter, I mean the actual division of EMS hiring new people.

i called CID and was told that there is no date for the next class but they are processing people so that when they do establish a class people will be ready to go in

good to know, thanks man

Forum Member

so what did everyone get for christmas lol

Forum Member

For the people who's medical is going to expire next year, does anyone know how much notice we are going to get until we have to go again?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fd211ny View Post
    so what did everyone get for christmas lol
    A letter rescinding the offer of employment from the fdny.

Forum Member

what is that exactly lol

Forum Member

My med is up in May and when I had asked CID about that, they had said I should be notified around that time and if I didn't hear from them by the beg of May that I should call medical. But since all this has happened who knows whats going to be going on.

Forum Member

If we get 3 days notice that would suck, thanks for answering

Forum Member

for the list 6019 they give a 3 day notice for medicals?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fd211ny View Post
    for the list 6019 they give a 3 day notice for medicals?
    who knows, it depends on a lot of factors im sure. get your *** in shape asap and you will roll right through that medical. It is a piece of cake if your are in halfway decent shape. If you want to take a job where peoples lives depend on your physical ability then change your lifestyle now so you can act accordingly when people need you. Make it a point to run 8 miles a week.

Forum Member

anyone taken the medical yet? what is everything they do?

Thread Information