Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

Forum Member

i dont remember the exact details, but i recently read an article where in the past economy before the recession hit the city had put less money into the pensions ( out of pocket) in the late 90's then compared to the late 1980's! So they city has been barely investing into the pension funds up until the stock market crashed now. The funds were producing their own revenues. They have plenty of money when it comes down to it.

Forum Member

Default o0o

I3akdraf yea i get what u say, i was there and now i am just waiting..

as for the 25 year thing sign me up, i am pretty sure alot of us were not going to leave after 20 years, plus its really far away....... lets get on first...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    Don't want to do this job for an extra 5 years? Don't take it at all then.

I can retire at 20 and as far as I'm concerned they're gonna have to drag me outta here kicking and screaming. I have no use for they guy who hasn't even gotten on and is worrying about "serving" his time and being able to duck on out.

Being a firefighter isn't what you do, it's who you are. If you're not on board with that, go work in some small town cush dept where you can get paid to sit around all day. You can do 20 years without ever going into a fire, or for that matter, making a difference to anyone ever.
    I get what you're saying man, but its a little easier for guys who are already on the job to say this. We're not the ones who have to worry about pension cuts. Also there are plenty of guys on this job who legitimantely get hurt and are holding on to get 20yrs so they can get they're full pension, which they rightfully deserve for putting their life on the line. Not everyone gets 3/4's. These are guys who would love to work another 10 yrs but can't cause they got hurt on the job. Let's not forget the brothers. Let's face it this job takes a real toll on the body. Thats why its a young man's job. It's 20 and out for a reason.
    Last edited by FDNY78; 06-06-2009 at 10:38 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

To all of you on the list already, congrats! Now for the rest of us, anybody know when the next test is going to be? I've heard rumors of 2010 or 2011, any truth to that? Thanks all!

Forum Member

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by fire78n88 View Post
    To all of you on the list already, congrats! Now for the rest of us, anybody know when the next test is going to be? I've heard rumors of 2010 or 2011, any truth to that? Thanks all!
    There is no congrats for us since they only got one class out of the list and may not be extending it according to the strategic plan

Forum Member

I don't think you guys actually know what tier 5 is.....25 years...OT will not be into ur pension which means after 25 years you will hopefully get 50% of what 80k which is 40k in 2035...inflation, cost of living, rent and housing rises insane amounts have fun with that 40k after putting your life on the line...then tier 5 you will prb have to put between 5-10 percent of your money into the pension each pay period then you will have to pay into your own medical oooo n then you will prb have to pay higher co-pays---for the guys that think its just 25 years do your homework n get smart tier 5 is insane and wrong...i work for dsny i am 20 and out which means if I stay 30 years i get a 1.5% every year till 30 years which you can collect 65% max..i want FDNY but if they do tier 5 im staying DSNY cuz they are taking insane amounts of money out of your pocket and your future......

Forum Member

my GF's father worked for verizone retired 2 years ago got a huge lump sum pension like 900k and they contributed into his 401k matched like 5 percent plus his salary was higher then rank of firefighter you deserve the pension you get now for the salary you take home to live in this over priced city and the risk you take every day...city doesnt wanna give things to the people tht work hard for this city were a waste of money blah blah blah...but then the city is housing hundreds of homeless people in luxury condos for hundreds of thousands of dollars (there living better then me)..on our dime gotta love the mayor the tax payers deserve to know where there money is going in the municipal workforce lol hey bloomberg im pretty sure in this city the people that benefit most is the ones that don't pay any taxes...

Forum Member

Hopefully it won't come to pass and all the future ff's will be good to go

Forum Member

forgot how much harder the rolling stairmaster is than the reg one, lol. Just started the weighted rolling stairs yesterday and it feels good, tired but good!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kingcals3 View Post
    I don't think you guys actually know what tier 5 is.....25 years...OT will not be into ur pension which means after 25 years you will hopefully get 50% of what 80k which is 40k in 2035...inflation, cost of living, rent and housing rises insane amounts have fun with that 40k after putting your life on the line...then tier 5 you will prb have to put between 5-10 percent of your money into the pension each pay period then you will have to pay into your own medical oooo n then you will prb have to pay higher co-pays---for the guys that think its just 25 years do your homework n get smart tier 5 is insane and wrong...i work for dsny i am 20 and out which means if I stay 30 years i get a 1.5% every year till 30 years which you can collect 65% max..i want FDNY but if they do tier 5 im staying DSNY cuz they are taking insane amounts of money out of your pocket and your future......
    AND the assumed rate drops from 8.25% down to 5%

25 years in bunker gear will take a huge toll on your body. I can assure you, when I hit 20 years I was sure I was doing 30+. When I hit 25 I was fricken tired and the young studs were starting to keep up

I stayed in decent shape. A lot of guys were just plain shot by 20 and had to get out. This is the toughest job in the world to leave because it's the greatest job in the world. But when you can no longer give 100% you gotta go. With Tier 5, the city will suffer delays, injuries and deaths of firefighters and civilians due to an aging fire department still on the front line.

Forum Member

Don't want to do this job for an extra 5 years? Don't take it at all then.

I can retire at 20 and as far as I'm concerned they're gonna have to drag me outta here kicking and screaming. I have no use for they guy who hasn't even gotten on and is worrying about "serving" his time and being able to duck on out.

Being a firefighter isn't what you do, it's who you are. If you're not on board with that, go work in some small town cush dept where you can get paid to sit around all day. You can do 20 years without ever going into a fire, or for that matter, making a difference to anyone ever.
    I'm not saying all anyone wants is a 20 and out job, but as others stated things may happen to where retirement is your best option for yourself and those around you. Tier 5 is just a poorly put together idea in my opinion. I guarantee if the mayor or governor spent one week going through what a FF goes through trying to do their job they would sing a different tune.
    Also, good to hear from you Calm, was afraid you were gonna retire from the message boards too.

Forum Member

Okay, since this has become a topic of further discussion, let me clarify. Tier 5 sucks and I think it's totally innapropriate. The source of my frustration is all the talk about 25 vs. 20.

Hopefully it doesn't come to pass, but if you truly want this job, you won't let it dissuade you. You can fight it, and write letters, but as for the rest.....get hired first.

Was at the rock last week......guys there are sticking around for another probie class, so something has to be in the works.

Forum Member

Okay, since this has become a topic of further discussion, let me clarify. Tier 5 sucks and I think it's totally innapropriate. The source of my frustration is all the talk about 25 vs. 20.

Hopefully it doesn't come to pass, but if you truly want this job, you won't let it dissuade you. You can fight it, and write letters, but as for the rest.....get hired first.

Was at the rock last week......guys there are sticking around for another probie class, so something has to be in the works.
    What exactly do you mean "sticking around for another probie class?"

Forum Member

Default Fdny

when will we know if this Tier 5 pension change is really going to happen? Is it official yet?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMEFIRE600 View Post
    What exactly do you mean "sticking around for another probie class?"
    I mean guys are out there doing tactical with the companies that come in during the tour. They taught in the previous academy class and are hangin' around to do one more before retiring and what not. It may not be tomorrow or next month, but they wouldn't be waiting out there indefinitely.

Good luck.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by QCFRANKC View Post
    when will we know if this Tier 5 pension change is really going to happen? Is it official yet?
    Tier 5 is going to happen, the unions paterson was negotiating with have already endorsed it. It still must be passed by the legislature, but being that the unions endorsed it I think its safe to say it will pass. These negotiations do not include many unions including the fire unions. So the question remains, what will the legislature do with the bill that the governor vetoed to extend tier 2 benefits to cops and firemen. We all must write to our state senators and assemblymen, urging them to extend tier 2 benefits, and keep our fingers crossed.

p.s. Thanks for explaining FDsouthbxNY

FLA1786
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lemme start off by saying I hate politics and the like. A lot of you guys are really knowledgeable so I want to throw out a question.

What are the chances of negotiating a new system that isn't actually a specific Tier? Just an example would be all the current benefits with the only real change being 25 years to get out and a minimum age of 50? Will the unions try to negotiate a middle ground before there is just a simple Tier 2 to Tier 5 jump?

Forum Member

just wondering, if this new tier 5 thing passes, what does this mean for starting hiring up again. is it a good thing, bad thing , or no effect at all?

Forum Member

Default Fdny

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMEFIRE600 View Post
    Tier 5 is going to happen, the unions paterson was negotiating with have already endorsed it. It still must be passed by the legislature, but being that the unions endorsed it I think its safe to say it will pass. These negotiations do not include many unions including the fire unions. So the question remains, what will the legislature do with the bill that the governor vetoed to extend tier 2 benefits to cops and firemen. We all must write to our state senators and assemblymen, urging them to extend tier 2 benefits, and keep our fingers crossed.

p.s. Thanks for explaining FDsouthbxNY

Tier 2 is what the cops and fireman currently have? 20 and out pension plan?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by I3akdraf View Post
    Umm, whose side are you on, claiming you sent out emails opposing the mayor one day and the next supporting his stance against the job you want. Remember men in the position you want to be in fought hard to get the benefits FF have today.

this is exactly the reaction i expected but i am not going to explain myself or backtrack what i said. only guilty people do that. when i get on, all that's going to matter, is me giving 100% every tour - not if i have to stay on for 20 or 25 years. i'll stay longer if my health will be generous to me. i am tier 4 right now with a comfortable city job and am doing this whole fdny thing because that is my life's calling and that is what i WANT to do. just trying to point out, that to run a city the size of new york is not the same as running an ice cream truck. there are thousands of work titles and EVERYONE has to retire some day and be taken care of. we have to get along whether you like it or not. everyone's job is crucial to the well being of nyc. you could question my involvement in this all you want. it does not bother me at all. if you're looking to start another one of those funny "forum feuds" instead of a healthy argument, you've got wrong address buddy. you should start a kindergarden thread somewhere else in that case. i'm here strictly for the info and as a new york city employee, i am entitled to voice my opinions just like anyone else here. it's a free country last time i checked...
    Last edited by fdnyfreak; 06-08-2009 at 08:37 PM.

Forum Member

Default Fdny

Quote Originally Posted by kingcals3 View Post

How many years do you have with DSNY?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by fdnyfreak View Post
    this is exactly the reaction i expected but i am not going to explain myself or backtrack what i said. only guilty people do that. when i get on, all that's going to matter, is me giving 100% every tour - not if i have to stay on for 20 or 25 years. i'll stay longer if my health will be generous to me. i am tier 4 right now with a comfortable city job and am doing this whole fdny thing because that is my life's calling and that is what i WANT to do. just trying to point out, that to run a city the size of new york is not the same as running an ice cream truck. there are thousands of work titles and EVERYONE has to retire some day and be taken care of. we have to get along whether you like it or not. everyone's job is crucial to the well being of nyc. you could question my involvement in this all you want. it does not bother me at all. if you're looking to start another one of those funny "forum feuds" instead of a healthy argument, you've got wrong address buddy. you should start a kindergarden thread somewhere else in that case. i'm here strictly for the info and as a new york city employee, i am entitled to voice my opinions just like anyone else here. it's a free country last time i checked...
    And how informed is your opinion...I think that is what is the issue here. Where do you get your news? What do you know about this job, other than that you think you want it and you think you know what is and isn't breaking the city's bank.

Tell us were is the funding secured to pay for "service" retirement and where is the funding secured for "disability" retirements? Answer that question and you will get a larger look at one small aspect of what the city is attempting to put to the state.

Tell me why firemen and cops don't deserve 20 year pensions? You don't have a day on this job and yet you think that is the reason this city is in a crisis? You work in OMB?

Who have the top pensions in the city? Who works for the shortest amount of time yet has the highest pension reward ratio at the end per year of work? What part-time job makes twice what top pay firemen and cops make?

I wish I had the time to explain the world to you kid, but that was your fathers job..not mine and FH.com probably doesn't have the bandwidth to handle it either.

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

QCFrank I got one year with DSNY could retire by 43 so im not gonna change jobs for a tier 5 even though i really want the job but teir 5 would be taking money out of my families pocket.....If you agree with tier 5 your nuts lol 5 years is along time yeh you say now 20 years ill do 25 no problem but wouldnt you like to get paid for it???? they wanna take away from you so when your ready to retire you have nothing and now that same bottle of soda that costs $1 is $3 25 years from now cuz thats what happens in time...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED View Post
    And how informed is your opinion...I think that is what is the issue here. Where do you get your news? What do you know about this job, other than that you think you want it and you think you know what is and isn't breaking the city's bank.

Tell us were is the funding secured to pay for "service" retirement and where is the funding secured for "disability" retirements? Answer that question and you will get a larger look at one small aspect of what the city is attempting to put to the state.

Tell me why firemen and cops don't deserve 20 year pensions? You don't have a day on this job and yet you think that is the reason this city is in a crisis? You work in OMB?

Who have the top pensions in the city? Who works for the shortest amount of time yet has the highest pension reward ratio at the end per year of work? What part-time job makes twice what top pay firemen and cops make?

I wish I had the time to explain the world to you kid, but that was your fathers job..not mine and FH.com probably doesn't have the bandwidth to handle it either.

FTM-PTB

first and foremost: i'm not a kid. secondly, i'm not even going to get into this. right away you start playing your little blame-game. i'm very sorry man, but if you can't do 25 years in the FD, then maybe you should rethink your career goals and become a school teacher or an mta worker...
    Last edited by fdnyfreak; 06-09-2009 at 05:09 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fdnyfreak View Post
    first and foremost: i'm not a kid. secondly, i'm not even going to get into this. right away you start playing your little blame-game. i'm very sorry man, but if you can't do 25 years in the FD, then maybe you should rethink your career goals and become a school teacher or an mta worker...
    Call me in 25 years. (That is if you make it into the job and we're both still alive)

Thread Information