Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 166 of 618 FirstFirst ... 66116156163164165166167168169176216266 ... LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,320 of 12347
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

Forum Member

50% of people fail the step mill section of the medical

Forum Member

wow thats pretty sad actually

Quote Originally Posted by fd211ny View Post
    wow thats pretty sad actually
    Just wait till you take the medical, it is no joke

Forum Member

o im gonna take it seriously.... i guess for just such a great job i just cant believe 50 percent dont

Forum Member

o im gonna take it seriously.... i guess for just such a great job i just cant believe 50 percent dont
    I guess you didn't take the written test too seriously if you still haven't taken your medical.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMEFIRE600 View Post
    I guess you didn't take the written test too seriously if you still haven't taken your medical.
    hey im sure every guy thats posting on this thread took the written part seriously so watch what you say. Im not to familiar with what grade they have gotten to on the list but i wouldnt be surprised if they havent even gotten to the guys that have gotten under 100, theres plenty of people who scored over 100 with city residency, military, and legacy.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hopefully09 View Post
    GIMMEFIRE when did you take the medical? took mine in april, very stressful day. APPROX where are you sitting on the list?
    Also took mine in april, I shouldve been going in to the academy tomorrow(like you hopefully) if things went as we were told. I hope we don't have to go through that medical again although it looks like we will. Ive been screwed by this process so many times it makes me wanna puke, i shouldve been in the first class as well but found out my investigation wasn't closed at the last minute when i didn't receive a letter.

This city and mayor don't care about the hundred guys they told were going into the academy and then pulled the rug right out from under us. Guys with no jobs now etc, while the mayor and half his administration visit israel, wonder whose footing the bill for that trip. I understand the situation the city is in but don't make us go through all this **** and call us three days after we run and get our offer of employment telling us the class has been postponed. Meanwhile the mayor complains of a billion dollar deficit which can be all but fixed by a strong bowel movement courtesy of hizzoner.

Sorry just ranting bout a few things on my mind the night before i was told id be entering the academy. I know how serious the situation is and the fact that they're talking about laying off firemen which i hope is doesn't come to. Just hope one day we'll all get our shot at the greatest job in the world.

Forum Member

or gimmefire i didnt even take the test lol im 18 lol

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMEFIRE600 View Post

I haven't taken my medical yet either, but I took the written very seriously. Just like many others, those subjective questions hurt me a good amount. What can you do though. That being said, I enjoyed your rant a few posts up. My heart goes out to you guys who got that letter. I can't think of anything else that would suck more than that....

Forum Member

Unhappy

I'm a Bloomberg fan. He's been a good mayor. Obviously his recent decisions have affected me and my family's life and everyone on the boards here. He cuts FDNY and NYPD and Sanitation but gives the Yankees 300 million not including major tax breaks.

Forum Member

what do most people fail the medical?
    Although many people fail the step master a few guys i was with failed the hearing and vision. The two guys who failed the hearing don't even know what went wrong and the guy who failed the vision never wore glasses in his life. As for myself I never had any medical issues in my life but i was told my heart beat was irregular and I needed to go see a cardiologist and have him retest me and approve me in order to continue.
    What i'm trying to say is you can take the medical as serious as anything in life but sometimes you will still get that curveball. That's why the other guys were saying it's no joke, cause you never know what they'll say is wrong with you and it may be something you never had a issue with before.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    I can't think of anything else that would suck more than that....
    I can-if all the guys who graduated a few weeks ago get laid off before the end of the month. It sucks all the way around-but I really worry for them.

Forum Member

The medical is no joke, but if you prepare and you bust your *** with the cardio you will pass. i spent over 3 grand on eye surgery and multiple trips to the ortho for a previous surgery but had zero problems with the stepmill because I prepared.

Take care of the things you have control of, do what you have to do to get cleared on the rest. If you have to make a second or even third trip you do it and you jump through the hoops, that is if you really want this job.

Forum Member

Default Medical...

I have to say that the medical was clearly the most difficult and frustrating of all the tests. I passed by what I feel was a miracle. I was not in the best shape of my life (although I lost 30 lbs preparing for it)and I was a smoker of eight years. I am not weak by any means. I can run well and lift a good amount but I was suprised by the results of the stepmill as well. A guy who took it with me had run a marathon within the last 2 years and was a marine vet who just finished up 2 tours. He seemed to be in good shape but he failed. While myself and even one guy who forgot to wear athletic clothes passed. He made it in jeans, boots and a button-up. I will probably have my medical lapse like a few of you guys. Sucks for us. I was in.... It is no joke. Oh and you should know that there will be firemen who are on the job that are there to take their physicals. You should allow them to go ahead of you (within reason)if you have the opportunity. Don't hold them up in line and keep them there all day. Show them the respect they deserve. Good luck to everyone.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud2810 View Post
    I can-if all the guys who graduated a few weeks ago get laid off before the end of the month. It sucks all the way around-but I really worry for them.

Yeah. I stand corrected....

Forum Member

Default our story

Hi boys,

I got contacted by a reporter from a major New York City newspaper who's interested in doing a story on our predicament. Particularly, he's interested in talking to guys who were shoe-ins for the January class, and those guys who ran and then had the offer rescinded three days later.

I'm not sure what the story's focus would be, or even if it will get off the ground. He's just looking into it.

PM me if you are interested in answering some of his questions.
    Last edited by aal2016; 01-06-2009 at 05:33 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by aal2016 View Post
    Hi boys,

I got contacted by a reporter from a major New York City newspaper who's interested in doing a story on our predicament. Particularly, he's interested in talking to guys who were shoe-ins for the January class, and those guys who ran and then had the offer rescinded three days later.

I'm not sure what the story's focus would be, or even if it will get off the ground. He's just looking into it.

Turn and run the other way!!!!!!!

If you think you can do some feel good story in the NY media and not have your name next to a dozen mis-quotes and out of context passages, I got a bridge for sale.

Then both the Rock instructors and every guy in the field will be waiting for your arrival. Don't mistake that to mean with open arms.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by aal2016 View Post
    Hi boys,

how the hell did a reporter get your info and contact you?

Forum Member

dude listen to the others.... picture it now..all of a sudden the paper says your name and your slashing the FDNY the very dept you want to get on. just walk away and sorry but not interested

Forum Member

Reporter: You were scheduled to begin the fire academy in January. Was it tough to hear the class was cancelled?

You:
    "I was heart broken. The FDNY made the announcement about 6 hours after I quit my job. I pretty much told my boss to go screw himself because I got a much better job."

Tomorrows newspaper quotes you:
    “ The FDNY can go screw themselves, I have a much better job.”

Thread Information