Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 168 of 618 FirstFirst ... 68118158165166167168169170171178218268 ... LastLast
Results 3,341 to 3,360 of 12347
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

Forum Member

Default Broken Bone

Hey, guys. I hope you're all doing well. I was wondering if anyone can help me with this question. I've already passed my medical,etc. (waiting dearly for the run) but have recently broken my wrist, and I may or may not need surgery (screws to let it heal properly). I was wondering if broken bones would red flag you from getting in the academy. Thanks all for your answers!
    6019- was sitting at 13xx
    2000- now sitting at 18xx

Forum Member

Thumbs up keep the morale up

With all this talk of no one really knowing what is going on...anybody in the rockland county area want to get together and run once and a while....try and keep our heads high...train a little together and make the time go...PM me and we'll get something together.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by carryon0311 View Post
    three all hands jobs
    All Hands Jobs?

Forum Member

Default 1000 ems?

1000 ems for the next promotional exam sounds super fishy to me. I've heard this number a couple of times now, and I'm not sure where the heck it's coming from.

In the last class there were something like 100 eligibles off the promotional exam. Can anybody who knows anything about this promo exam from a historical perspective tell us how many guys they typically get off these things?

And, even if there were 1000 guys signed up and ready to take the test, which again, would shock the s**t out of me, EMS is already horribly understaffed, I'm not sure they permit 1000 of their guys to go to fire. That doesn't make much sense, right?

P.S. Carryon: sounds like you're a hell of a black cloud, dude, good for you! I think i speak for 99% of us on the forum that we wish were FDNY firemen...no matter where they'd put us.
    Last edited by aal2016; 01-12-2009 at 12:12 AM.

Forum Member

Gimmefire, I don't think the minority representation at the run is connected to us getting a class. The unfolding global economic crises is probably more to blame, bro.

Forum Member

this is what i no about the promotional exam to fire from ems... i no a deputy chief from ems... he says maybe 400 to 500 take the promo test to get into fire and currently he said they is probably 60 to a 100 that are completly eligable to go to fire.

Forum Member

So if there are 200 people eligible on the EMS promo list and say they decide to put in a class of 200 in January 2010 (just saying what if)...the 200 EMS promos would get preference over the 6019 list? So in other words all 200 probies in the class would be EMS promos, and no one from 6019 would get on in that class?

Forum Member

I think the most immediate issue is lay-offs. Last time they had firings (70s) they re-hired the guys before they started hiring off any list again.
    Bloomberg is supposed to announce his budget cuts next week-so I think then we can have somewhat of a better idea of how things will go for the rest of this year, at least.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by coooGy View Post
    So if there are 200 people eligible on the EMS promo list and say they decide to put in a class of 200 in January 2010 (just saying what if)...the 200 EMS promos would get preference over the 6019 list? So in other words all 200 probies in the class would be EMS promos, and no one from 6019 would get on in that class?
    Never heard of this happening before so I don't know where this idea comes from, it actually hurts the city more to promote EMS people because they then have to hire and train new EMS people.

But again as I've been saying don't believe any of this crap, you are going to start hearing some of the most obnoxious and ridiculous rumors you could ever imagine, because that's what happens when everything is in the ****ter and guys are scared for their futures.

Hang tough, stop watching the news and keep working out boys.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud2810 View Post
    I think the most immediate issue is lay-offs.
    Bloomberg is supposed to announce his budget cuts next week-so I think then we can have somewhat of a better idea of how things will go for the rest of this year, at least.
    The "State of the City" address may shed some light on where we are going this Wednesday.

Forum Member

Lightbulb ems promotion clarification

In the past the FD usually established 1 civil service list; 200 300+ every 2 years to promote to fire. Usual its a 2 : 1 ratio that promote over. However the FD has just established 3 civil service lists with just over 1000 that are all eligible to take promotion exam next month. I would bet at least 600 will make it to fire. Honestly ems could let 150 of them go over each class, till their all over and yes promotionals will go before most on 6019, depending on fire class size. EMS is looking to cut back on buses and going from 8 to 12 hour tours, which will off set them being so understaffed, with extra personnel. The FD is doing this because its much cheaper to promote ems over to fire and hire ems candidates to replace them, cuz ems gets paid sh*t compared to fire. Really have to look at it now as there will probably be 600 going before most of us, and take into consideration their will be more in another 2 years for the next promotion exam. This is why it doesn't look good for 6019 going deep into the list at all!
    Last edited by exam6019; 01-12-2009 at 02:10 PM.

Forum Member

who are you exam6019? just wondering and i heard there will be over 1000 allowed to take it but that doesnt mean all of them will plus i the common ratio that pass everything is 1 out of 3. they only get one chance if there from ems they are not guaranteed a spot in fire. people that are on 6019 shouldnt worry because ems isnt hiring either

Forum Member

I'm a nobody if that makes any difference, however my brother is on FDNY EMS. Yes fd211NY your absolutely right, not all will take it but from what I hear ems is like the worlds worst job and most want to go over to fire. The Bullsh*t they have to put up with for no money, from lt captains and chiefs is extremely thick. EMS dosent get 1 chance either. The same rules apply for them like the open competitive. This is where I get info from among many others. Yes its rumors like all other gossip we hear from FD but this is what the big heads are discussing now.

Forum Member

i hear ya and i didnt mean 1 chance i meant like its just like the open competitive where if you fail the stairs better luck 2 years from now and ems is no good from what everyone says

Forum Member

also when did you say when bloomberg will announce the cuts for all the departments?

Forum Member

Personally i fall within the "numbers" they are talking about when it comes to layoffs. I heard 800. I also heard that if they do layoff it wont be until around the second round of budget cuts, which I was told will be around july. if i'm not mistaken thats also when the new fiscal year starts. So it all kind of seems to make sense.So what he says in a few weeks may not be anything compared to what we may face later this year. I personally doubt your going to see any hiring anytime soon. Even early 2010 seems unlikely. If guys do get laidoff they would have to bring all those guys back before they could hire off of a list. On top of all that with the way they are talking about pension reform i'm sure the city is going to do everything in its power to get that going before they start hiring again. I know it sucks but its tough everyplace you look. I hope it does not come but its beyond our control.

Forum Member

what does the pension reform consist of

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by exam6019 View Post
    I'm a nobody if that makes any difference, however my brother is on FDNY EMS. Yes fd211NY your absolutely right, not all will take it but from what I hear ems is like the worlds worst job and most want to go over to fire. The Bullsh*t they have to put up with for no money, from lt captains and chiefs is extremely thick. EMS dosent get 1 chance either. The same rules apply for them like the open competitive. This is where I get info from among many others. Yes its rumors like all other gossip we hear from FD but this is what the big heads are discussing now.
    So let me get this str8 exam, I have two questions; ems taking a test in 2009 get preference going into the academy over people who took the open competitive in '07? Second question; Ems taking the test in '09 will get their results back soon enough to start going into classes when? Because it took over a year for the first of people who took the open competitive and ems test in 07 to go in the acamedy so i'm guessing it will take that long or longer once again. Therefore, testing in 09 mean earliest expectations for academy eligible is late '10 or early '11 right?

I did hear on CNN or MSNBC or some such that Obama wants to help cities support their Fire and Polce Departments, love him or hate him, he's in power now and hopefully the man is not all talk.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyHollow View Post
    I did hear on CNN or MSNBC or some such that Obama wants to help cities support their Fire and Polce Departments, love him or hate him, he's in power now and hopefully the man is not all talk.
    Hopefully, he meant financial type stuff and not dictating policy regarding hiring practices. But I guess one comes with the other. I personally don't believe they'll hand over federal bucks and still let agencies do as they please.

Thread Information