Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

Forum Member

Whats up everyone...new to the site. just wondering, i heard they were gettin to the low 2000's (where im at), sometime in may/june and does anyone have any more info on the whole thing? seems like they're calling an awful lot of people for such a small class...

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Cid

I have gotten a person a few times. I am sure the lady that answers that phone gets inundated with phone calls everyday. You have to just keep calling. I find it is better early in the Am or around 1500. If they are doing interviews that day forget about it, no luck.
    The DCAS orientation you dont have to dress up at all. I wore Nike pants and a sweatshirt. Its just like the first day at the Rock. They take you around show you each station, tell you how you can fail, give you pointers on succeeding. They are not mandatory but STRONGLY encouraged.
    Like hopefully09 said I would attend just to get a feel for the testing center and see how it is laid out. Once again get their early and you will be out early.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with the poor timid spirits, who know neither victory nor defeat." FDR

Forum Member

All of you talking about all of your dates and what not - are any of you between 1000 and 2000 on the List? I'm at 13xx and curious as to when I might be able to start the process.

Forum Member

I am 1xxxs johnny...I do think the DCAS sessions ARE mandatory, I dont have the sheet in front of me but I think on the back of the paper that has the date you go to the rock for the fdny orientation it says that the DCAS orientation is mandatory.
    Last edited by matty21; 08-19-2008 at 09:08 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by johhnyboy View Post
    All of you talking about all of your dates and what not - are any of you between 1000 and 2000 on the List? I'm at 13xx and curious as to when I might be able to start the process.
    A buddy of mine is on light duty right now and overheard a conversation between 2 Chiefs at Metrotech. Apparently DCAS is going to call an additional 200 off the list to try to fill the first class of 315. DCAS has already kicked like 400 people at the top of the list. And something like 80% of the promos failed the medical on their first try. Most of the guys off the competitive list have been knocked down because of not being able to substantiate their residency. I f I were in the 1300's I would expect to be in the second class off the list. Also, there is very little chance for the first class to start before late JULY if DCAS is at square one calling more people to fill out the first class.

I want to add that this is all hearsay, but I trust the source.
    6019 #47x

Forum Member

The above goes along with what the instructors at the CPAT prep are saying. They told us not to listen to any rumors besides the one that guys in the 700s, 800s, and 900s should be ready for the June class.

More than one instructor out there has said this on more than one occasion, as well; so it sounds pretty likely.
    Just a peon proby in the greatest job in the world; grinning ear to ear.

Forum Member

Wow, thanks you guys! I'm still only 20 and will not be turning 21 until September though, so I guess the second class would be the only one I could shoot for then. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by SeminoleB View Post
    The above goes along with what the instructors at the CPAT prep are saying. They told us not to listen to any rumors besides the one that guys in the 700s, 800s, and 900s should be ready for the June class.

More than one instructor out there has said this on more than one occasion, as well; so it sounds pretty likely.
    I would bet july or august for a class after this one. Last class went in Jan. 20th so they will be getting out sometime around there. I was in the first class for the new 6 month criteria. Believe me when I tell you to take this time and prepare yourself for it. It is not easy at all. You are up very early in the morning and have very long exhausting days. It's great if you wanna be there and you keep your head in the books. It can also be hell if you go in with the slacker attitude or the "I know it all" attitude. Believe me take this time to workout and spend it with your family and friends. They will not see a whole lot of you while your in proby school and if they do then your doing something wrong. Good luck !!!

Also I read alot about guys failing the stairmaster at their medicals. It sucks and it happened to me. They do give you another chance or two to pass it. So just because these guys are failing the stairmaster does not mean they are out.

Forum Member

Default cpat orientation

Im going for the cpat orientation on 3/8 and 3/15.....anyone else. Hopefully the instructors are right and they will reach the 700's for the june 30th class. Anyone around the 700's go for the medical or psych yet??

Forum Member

Default list

i am new to this forum and was wondering what # list do you think 6019 will go to, Do you think anyone from the lower 90s would get on. Thanks

Forum Member

looks like this list is going to go much deeper than everyone thought first class. I was thinking I would be lucky if it broke 500

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SeminoleB View Post

The instructors on the Fire side have no more idea than you do about the numbers for the first class. But if makes you feel better, go ahead and spread the rumors.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CalmB4Storm View Post
    The instructors on the Fire side have no more idea than you do about the numbers for the first class. But if makes you feel better, go ahead and spread the rumors.
    I didn't say it was the gospel and I understand they don't know for sure. But, it's about as close as you can get when it comes from the guys that are an integral part of the academy.

Those in that number range that don't or cant go to the prep sessions might not expect to be ready for June and I figured a heads up might be nice. But, thanks for permission to speak freely.
    Just a peon proby in the greatest job in the world; grinning ear to ear.

Forum Member

Default Vision Req's

Im sorry for bringing up an old topic fellas, but I've been VERY dilligent about staying on top of all the details of this process (as have all of you), and i never saw an "uncorrected vision requirement" of 20/40 listed on the exam notice.

I even remember asking at least three people at recruitment and at the written test preps about it, and they seemed to think glasses were okay (if not ideal for the job, obviously).

Im obviously interested in getting lasik, but not in the rushed circumstances that it would take considering my medical is probably a month or two away.

Are you guys certain about this requirement? Where did you all see it?

Thanks all,
    Drew

Forum Member

Was at the orientation last night at the academy. They are having a hard time getting enough people for the June class so basically they want up to list #1200 to be available for the June class. they are integrating the extra people in to the prep class already in session with each person going twice a week.

Forum Member

Went to the CPAT Orientation for DCAS. Few things.

You have to wear pants no shorts, or they will not let you do they search.

Get there early, Be out early. The traffic sucks in LIC. The parking sucks also. It was also difficult navigating through LIC even with a GPS.

They were a little over 100 candidates that showed up, they have you sit and wait for a while then you watch the iaff cpat video then you go to the course. They go to each station and explain, same thing as first classes at the rock. There was not a enough time for every1 to try out each station.

The search is basically the same as the rock except instead of there being like a 2x4 on the floor when you make the first turn its a couple of inches higher and a different material.

The floor is concrete with an epoxy covering. It makes the Dummy drag and the Hose Drag a lot easier than the rock.

The 85foot lines you have to follow to walk in between events can be confusing and they have these small cones you have to go around.

The forcible entry with the maul was harder as well, it had more resistance, and bruised my hand.

The equiptment carry is a bit easier as well, instead of the two orange partner saws they have at the rock it is a partner saw and a chainsaw which is a little lighter.

For any women or small framed people, they have a weigh vest that is asize small it is tan colored.

There was one of instructors from the Fitness and health unit there also.
    The Vulcan society was also there recruiting, with Paul washington. Maybe he was checking to see if the test was rigged or going to file a lawsuit that the CPAT test is racist also, and it is too hard for his certain group to pass, and needs to be watered down or better yet "lottery physicals".

My DCAS instructor was very knowledgeable and helpful.
    He said that they just had a meeting and that the dates were

1st CPAT practice run will start March 31st for 2 weeks

2nd CPAT practice run will start April 14th for 2 weeks

Actual CPAT will start April 28th for 2 weeks

On a side note, I love to see where my tax $ goes, there was about 50 DCAS Employees there and 20 of them were working. The other 30 were in street clothes, listening to their ipods, reading the paper, on cell phones, etc. Not just taking a break, THE WHOLE TIME!
    Last edited by Queens6019; 03-10-2008 at 10:20 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

my roommate keeps coming on here and posting s*&t under my name. sorry.
    Last edited by hudsontj; 03-08-2008 at 09:28 PM.

Forum Member

Default how deep will the list go

whats up new to this forum but was wondering on how deep do you guys feel the list would go. i read some where that people who got in the 90s might get called, is there any truth to this? thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Queens6019 View Post
    Get there early, Be out early. The traffic sucks in LIC. The parking sucks also. It was also difficult navigating through LIC even with a GPS.
    Agree 100% Got there an hour early, drove around for like 45 min trying to find a spot, and ended up getting lucky. Definitely taking the train next time.

Forum Member

There is a parking lot near the high school that most people don't know about for parking. This however, only works for the weekends.

MembersZone Subscriber

What's the address you guys are supposed to be going to?

Forum Member

Default cpat orientation

the address is 43-11, i believe 43rd st......number is on hte side of the brick building.....if you get there early enough....hr or so....you can park right on 43rd st. just watch the signs...anyone in the 700's got for anything other than the interview and cpat orientation??

Forum Member

43-11 34st LIC.. there should be some parking underneath the train on Queens Blvd

MembersZone Subscriber

Folks should be able to find parking there under the train.
    7 Train stops there at 33rd St too. (homerun)
    Either way it's a one block walk from there.

Forum Member

The parking lots underneath the train were all full, and some lots were reserved for construction vehichles and equiptment. The train is the best bet, stop is 1 block away.

Thread Information