Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by My1Goal View Post
    Thanks for the info 19FDNY77. If that is indeed true, a decent sized class in January is looking less and less likely. Arg...!

is the pigs *** pork? its the same stuff, whether they hire 50 guys now and 150 later, or just 200 later.....

at least thats what i'm hoping haha
    I should have cleaned up the chili.....why didn't I clean up the chili!!!!!!

Forum Member

They need people ASAP if they intend to keep O/T at zero. If they don't hire another 100-150 in Jan. I'd be surprised.

Ya never know....

Forum Member

In one of the lastest budget reports I drudged through it says they have 52 uniformed personnel still at the rock, I dont know if that is how many they usually have , just for doing training with all the companies that go there daily, I think they operate a hazmat unit and a batallion out of the rock and also do chauffeur training there, so maybe that could make up for the numbers.
    Maybe Calm could shed some light on this?
    Does anyone know if they sent the 39? or # of instructors back to the field? Im sure Lt C. and the PT unit are still there also.
    Last edited by Queens6019; 06-27-2009 at 08:01 PM.

Forum Member

well im pretty sure the dept is very young these days after 9/11 deaths and retirements alot of guys were prb hired right after that for a few years so now alot of guys prb have 5-10 years on the job so the retirement numbers mite not be the same as they once were??? so maybe there wont be much hiring off the list ???

Forum Member

hope for the best,plan for the worst. Spoke with someone that was at the rock very recently word is small class 2010.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Queens6019 View Post
    In one of the lastest budget reports I drudged through it says they have 52 uniformed personnel still at the rock, I dont know if that is how many they usually have , just for doing training with all the companies that go there daily, I think they operate a hazmat unit and a batallion out of the rock and also do chauffeur training there, so maybe that could make up for the numbers.
    Maybe Calm could shed some light on this?
    Does anyone know if they sent the 39? or # of instructors back to the field? Im sure Lt C. and the PT unit are still there also.
    Last time I was out there PFS had only a couple of guys still working the detail. The rest went back to the field. Watching the department orders I have seen several of the officers get assigned to companies and many of the senior instructors have retired.

The 3 main administrators are either retired or in units, they will likely not return. This leaves about 6 or 7 of the needed 40-50 to get a class up and running. That said, a small class to re-start the academy and get all the new instructors up to speed only makes sense.

Now the hint: If you understand the above you can surmise the next class cannot start until the instructional staff is in place and trained to train. In order to do that a recruitment will need to take place and this is done via department orders. Once published, give a month or two for PFS to be ready to run a class.

In other words, watch the DOs.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CalmB4Storm View Post
    Last time I was out there PFS had only a couple of guys still working the detail. The rest went back to the field. Watching the department orders I have seen several of the officers get assigned to companies and many of the senior instructors have retired.

The 3 main administrators are either retired or in units, they will likely not return. This leaves about 6 or 7 of the needed 40-50 to get a class up and running. That said, a small class to re-start the academy and get all the new instructors up to speed only makes sense.

Now the hint: If you understand the above you can surmise the next class cannot start until the instructional staff is in place and trained to train. In order to do that a recruitment will need to take place and this is done via department orders. Once published, give a month or two for PFS to be ready to run a class.

In other words, watch the DOs.
    Where can we find department orders?

Forum Member

Forum Member

Here's an expample, see section 2.3 and keep in mind this 1 month notice for the Jauary 2008 class was with an up and running program.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/fdny/insider...7/103_2007.pdf

Forum Member

Really appreciate the insight. Thanks Lt.

Forum Member

Thumbs up Department Orders

Thanks for the info

Forum Member

Here's an expample, see section 2.3 and keep in mind this 1 month notice for the Jauary 2008 class was with an up and running program.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/fdny/insider...7/103_2007.pdf
    Calm,

So this means approx six month's before an academy class the bureau of training will be looking for firefighters and Lt's...or can they get the academy up and running sooner?

Forum Member

...1 month notice for the Jauary 2008 class ...

Forum Member

the case decision for the new haven 20 will be handed down today (www.newhaven20.com)

hopefully the guys get a great outcome!

the decision will be released at approx. 10 am you can see it here:

http://www.scotusblog.com/wp/

Forum Member

i dont think they will need to recruit instrucors, they will need to get DI's, too bad we missed out for DI Derrig, i heard never a military guy but u would never know,would have love to see him on his bike, whats the count i deck sir, the count is 276 highly motivated, truly dedicated,fdny probies sir,alete,alete , a blue machine, Ohrah, orah , orah,....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80hDWCCaw5Q..... deferring the first class has turned out to be the biggest mistake in my 25 year old life....FML
    Was bull****ting and ran into a retired truckie 30+ . that taught at the rock 2 times , told me they made him teach engine operations ?,and he said if you get detailed there for more then a year you get stuck there.......... heard same thing again small class Jan 10....
    Last edited by Queens6019; 06-29-2009 at 08:53 AM.

Forum Member

so its pretty safe to say that the days of 300 to a class are over? at least for the long forseeable future. how many dis would it take to run a class of 75 anyway. just outta curiosity . my company in coast guard basic was about 150 people and we had 4

Forum Member

The guys in New Haven Won!!!!!!!!

Forum Member

Default Fdny

Jan 2010-class of 100
    July 2010-class of 100
    Jan 2011-class of 100
    July 2011- class of 100
    Jan 2012- class of 100

If that's how the hiring will go then the list will probably reach the mid to high 2,000 list numbers

July 2012-hire from new exam
    Last edited by QCFRANKC; 06-29-2009 at 06:04 PM. Reason: needed to add

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by QCFRANKC View Post
    Jan 2010-class of 100
    July 2010-class of 100
    Jan 2011-class of 100
    July 2011- class of 100
    Jan 2012- class of 100

If that's how the hiring will go then the list will probably reach the mid to high 2,000 list numbers

bummer iam sittin at 26**

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Queens6019 View Post
    i dont think they will need to recruit instrucors,
    I assure you, they will have to.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by QCFRANKC View Post
    Jan 2010-class of 100
    July 2010-class of 100
    Jan 2011-class of 100
    July 2011- class of 100
    Jan 2012- class of 100

this is my opinion and is based on no real information, just planning for the worst and hoping for the best. but if hiring does go like that, and a conservative ration of candidates to probies occours (the last list was 2.2) they would only barely hit 2,000. (2.2 x 500 + 887 = 1987) this would also make sense if the retirements stay at 3% instead of the initially anticipated 6%. when the number was 6% the city did mention reaching number 4000 for this test.

not trying to spread doom and gloom, worldwide greed did that for us. good luck to everyone

Forum Member

Also not trying to spread doom and gloom, but there's also the chance of more EMS promos........................Anyone hear anything about that?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 6fthook View Post
    Also not trying to spread doom and gloom, but there's also the chance of more EMS promos........................Anyone hear anything about that?
    I hope not, but according to the DCAS website, they cancelled the entry level emt/paramedic exams, postponed the paramedic promotional exam and postponed the fire lieutenants exam

so given all that i'd like to think its unlikely that more than a couple show up here and there

also a while back one of the ems guys on here said that they had cancelled the promotion to firefighter exam.
    Last edited by SleepyHollow; 06-29-2009 at 10:30 PM.

Forum Member

Default Class sooner than January?

Has anybody heard anything about a class sooner than January? After reading the rant sounds like the department will be promoting at least 45 firemen to the ranks of lt and fm in july and august. Also, I've been hearing that firemen have been getting called for ot over the last couple of weeks. All of these occurrences would lead me to believe that they would want to put a class in ASAP, and not wait till January. Maybe they're waiting to see whats going to happen with the new tier? Also, Bloomberg has been saying if they don't approve the sales tax hike the city loses 2mill a day so maybe they're just waiting to get the budget passed by the clowns in Albany before they give the ok to hire?

If they don't put a class in until January, I would presume the rank of ff would be probably somewhere between 250-500 below head count by the time we would graduate. A class of 75-100 wouldn't even put a dent in a department under head count by those numbers. Unless this administration reverses their previous strategy of eliminating ot, they would need to hire right now. Or as many others have suggested maybe bloomberg still intends on closing firehouses and thats why there is no need to hire. I guess we'll have to wait and see. Has anybody heard anything along these lines?

Forum Member

Default exam 6019!iring

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyHollow View Post
    this is my opinion and is based on no real information, just planning for the worst and hoping for the best. but if hiring does go like that, and a conservative ration of candidates to probies occours (the last list was 2.2) they would only barely hit 2,000. (2.2 x 500 + 887 = 1987) this would also make sense if the retirements stay at 3% instead of the initially anticipated 6%. when the number was 6% the city did mention reaching number 4000 for this test.

not trying to spread doom and gloom, worldwide greed did that for us. good luck to everyone
    you can't compare ratio from the previous exam to our 6019 exam. the previous exam had list #'s given after people passed physicals. for our exam list #'s were given soley based on the written exam scores.

the first class from 6019 started with 315. approx 75-90 were from promo exam(can anyone confirm). so that means that 225-215 were from the 6019 list. figure out the ratio. its about 3.5:1 to 3.9 to 1.

Thread Information