Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 175 of 618 FirstFirst ... 75125165172173174175176177178185225275 ... LastLast
Results 3,481 to 3,500 of 12347
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fdnyjan09 View Post
    Anyone know someone who was tied up for a surgery and still got on the job? Just got a letter of DQ from med office for my last visit from ortho, says I can appeal and submit "medical evidence to sustain my appeal".

Are they actually going to legitimately review my evidence and appeal and give me a shot or do they throw these appeals in a folder somewhere, give you the run around for a few months and then DQ you anyway?

Any help would be appreciated, and what type of evidence should I get? Going to make an appointment with the ortho surgeon who did the surgery ASAP and have an evaluation by him but not sure if there is much more to do.

Thanks in advance for any help, obviously no one is getting hired at the moment but I want my shot like everyone else, it's basically a technicality that's tying me up I don't have full range of motion in my wrist and the ortho docs told me that is why I cannot be cleared, but am able to do anything normally, even push-ups, it's never given me a problem before.
    Sorry to hear about you situation but i had something similar but not a surgery, I had a condition with my heart. I just went to a cardiologist who ran a bunch of tests on me and then wrote a letter saying that I am now in good health and at no more of a risk than anyone else.

Bottom line is you just got a curveball that you have to make an adjustment on to hit. If you want this job you gotta do everything in your power to get it. From what I read it sounds like you are going thru rehab and will probably be back to full strength in time, is that right? If thats the case get your doctor to relay that message and keep trying to get back in the game until they tell you there is nothing left that you can do. Don't be afraid to become a pest with the med office, so they won't just put your appeal in a folder and forget about it. The squeaky wheel gets the oil. Good luck with everything.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by I3akdraf View Post
    From what I read it sounds like you are going thru rehab and will probably be back to full strength in time, is that right? If thats the case get your doctor to relay that message and keep trying to get back in the game until they tell you there is nothing left that you can do. Don't be afraid to become a pest with the med office, so they won't just put your appeal in a folder and forget about it. The squeaky wheel gets the oil. Good luck with everything.
    Actually it's an old injury and surgery, I've been better for a long time now. I do physical labor for 40 hours a week and been working out and playing sports my whole life with zero problems.

And was the address they told you to send your appeal to the city civil service commission? Thought it was weird they told me to send appeal there and not 9MT. Just to be safe I will type up the appeal, send it to the address and also call the med office next week.

Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fdnyjan09 View Post
    And was the address they told you to send your appeal to the city civil service commission? Thought it was weird they told me to send appeal there and not 9MT. Just to be safe I will type up the appeal, send it to the address and also call the med office next week.

Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it.
    No I wasn't told to appeal to the CCSM, I dealt with the 9MT med office. I was told by the doctor there that i had 30 days to get clearance or I would be DQed and ineligible for appointment as a FF. So it does seem kinda weird like u said but don't give up man. Fight this tooth and nail to the bitter end. With the freeze and all that may buy u some time.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by I3akdraf View Post
    No I wasn't told to appeal to the CCSM, I dealt with the 9MT med office. I was told by the doctor there that i had 30 days to get clearance or I would be DQed and ineligible for appointment as a FF. So it does seem kinda weird like u said but don't give up man. Fight this tooth and nail to the bitter end. With the freeze and all that may buy u some time.
    Yea, they never told me what to do last time I was at the med office just that I wasn't good to go. I'll send the letter and call up the office. Thanks bro.

Forum Member

Heard on NY1 that obama is most likely gonna allocate about 3.4 billion of his stimulus plan to nyc. They said that 1.8 billion would go towards education and 1.6 billion towards medicaid. Bloomy said this is a great thing, however it will not fix all the problems or necessarily stop any painful cuts... Its hard seeing a guy say that who could close the budget gap with a discarded tissue..
    Last edited by roadrunner09; 01-26-2009 at 09:30 AM.

Forum Member

well thats seriously good news!!!! although i doubt the hiring will start up soon it will maybe curb the need for layoffs which helps everyone.......unless the politicians take the cash and have a wild weekend down in AC (not likely but i wouldnt put it passed them) heads up guys this is the first decent news weve gotten in a while

Forum Member

Unions, Council Members Torch Fire Co. Closings
    Despite Scoppetta's Reasssurances
    By ARI PAUL

The Chief-Leader/Adrienne Haywood-James

LOOKING FOR A REPRIEVE: Members of Engine Co. 161 on Staten Island attended the City Council hearing on the elimination of night tours for their unit and three others citywide. While the Fire Commissioner said that the company would be staffed some nights with excess firefighters, Staten Island Councilman James Oddo denounced the assurance as less than convincing.

Outrageous. Half-baked. The moral equivalent of criminal negligence. These are just a few of the ways City Council Members described the elimination of four Fire Department companies' night tours, which began Jan. 17.

During a hearing of the Fire and Criminal Justice Services Committee the previous day, fire union leaders and the Council Members representing the four districts that lost night tours came down hard on Fire Commissioner Nicholas Scoppetta, who defended the action as a necessary measure to meet Mayor Bloomberg's demand for budget reductions in all agencies.

FDNY Denies Safety Affected

The companies affected are Engine Co. 4 in lower Manhattan, Engine Co. 161 in Staten Island, Engine Co. 271 in Brooklyn and Ladder Co. 53 on City Island in The Bronx. The FDNY has also ceased permanently keeping responders at Governor's Island. The cuts will realize an annual savings of $8.9 million, the department has said, adding that safety will not be compromised because these companies are the least-busy in the system and the areas affected will be served by other local companies at night.

Since the FDNY is over quota, there will still be enough firefighters to staff these companies on some night tours for the next few months. Uniformed Fire Officers Association President John J. McDonnell said that this was only putting off the inevitable, because there is no new scheduled Fire Academy class.

"These companies, we've been told, will probably not be closed as long as there is surplus manpower available," he said. "This will probably last for a few months until attrition through retirements starts to erode that."

In his plea to stop the closures at the hearing, Mr. McDonnell admitted that city government would have to work with a more-austere budget in the current economic downturn, but said the safety and first-response agencies were a higher priority when it came to operating budgets than other services.

"You can't make across-the-board cuts and expect life quality to continue as well as it is today," he said. "If you're going to make cuts, you can't ask the Fire Department and the Police Department and [the Emergency Medical Service] to cut as much as libraries, let's say. No one's life is going to be placed in jeopardy by closing a library on Sunday."

Uniformed Firefighters Association President Steve Cassidy made his message clear to reporters before the hearing: that the FDNY administration should get its own house in order by cutting back on civilian staffing before it looks to reduce firehouse operations.

"The Fire Commissioner should have figured out a way to cut the fat at MetroTech where he works," Mr. Cassidy said, referring to the department's downtown Brooklyn headquarters. "This Commissioner has expanded his staff more than any Fire Commissioner in history. He chooses to cut fire operations and close companies when he's expanded his own staff."

Mr. Scoppetta rejected this in his testimony, saying that he has already eliminated 450 civilian positions. Overall, ending the night tours was humane, he told the Council, because the department conducted a thorough analysis of the companies that have responded to the fewest incidents in the last two years. He also explained that engine companies operating without ladder companies could still respond to structural fires.

'Can Do What They Have To'

"Engine companies have portable ladders," he said. "They would do whatever they had to do."

Not only did fewer large-scale incidents happen at night, the Commissioner said, but nearby fire companies can respond quicker to incidents because there is less traffic. Noting that no Commissioner enjoys making such a cut, Mr. Scoppetta said that the department could make do with less.

"The city has experienced the fewest civilian fire fatalities during the past seven years than at any time in the FDNY's recorded history," he said in his testimony. "In addition, the FDNY currently has the fastest response times to structural fires since 1994."

But an indignant Councilman James Vacca, who represents City Island, dismissed the logic that areas with fewer incidents should be given less fire coverage.

"Let's not talk about number of fires," he told the Commissioner. "We have neighborhoods in this city that have very little crime, so why don't we take away police in those neighborhoods and tell them they're safe? Carry MACE."

'Response Time is Double'

Councilman Vacca made an exhaustive case to keep Engine Co. 53 open at night. For one thing, even at night City Island has high traffic and activity because there are many restaurants operating. City Island's isolation is also a factor. Because it is only accessible by two bridges—one of them being a drawbridge—from the mainland, Mr. Vacca noted by the department's own estimate that a response time at night could be as long as 10 minutes.

"In optimum conditions, with no traffic, with no bridge being up, it's going to [be] double [the citywide response time]," he said. "If I have to be in that firehouse every night, I will."

Mr. Cassidy backed up Mr. Vacca's argument, saying that a fire early this month at night on the island proved that it is needed, because without a quick response "three people's lives would have been lost and many other buildings would have been destroyed."

Construction Hindrances

Councilman Alan Gerson of lower Manhattan defended Engine Co. 4, noting that response times will be hampered in his district at night because there is large-scale construction and night-time truck deliveries blocking off streets. He emphasized that the World Trade Center site and many other nearby areas—which are in his district—remain terrorist targets and he added that terrorist attacks happen during rush hours, which include the hours between 6 p.m. and 9 a.m. when these companies are slated to be off-duty.

Mr. Scoppetta, while unwilling to rescind the closings, promised that the four companies would be staffed when firefighters were available.

"We're going to go ahead with the plans that we have," he said.

Councilman Vacca exclaimed, "Let's be serious. Fires don't take place because men are available or not. Fires take place when they do, and we expect protection to be there on site."

Forum Member

Default Budget Likely to Shock

January 27th, 2009
    What can we expect from Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s preliminary budget, scheduled for release on Friday?

“A shock budget,” said the City Council’s Finance Director Preston Niblack this morning.

At a breakfast hosted by the New School’s Center for New York City Affairs, the finance director and a number of other panelists, including the Independent Budget Office’s Ronnie Lowenstein, opined on what the administration could do to address the debilitating fiscal crisis gripping the nation and the Big Apple.

Extracting from a fiscal analysis the budget office put out earlier this month, Lowenstein predicted the city would lose 243,000 in fiscal year 2009, which ends in June, and that we will face a $4.3 billion budget gap for next year’s budget (That’s more than 10 percent of city-funded revenues).

The budget process, which Lowenstein predicts will be year-round for the next couple cycles due to the recession, is officially kicked off this Friday by the preliminary budget release. The council’s budget response will follow, then the mayor’s executive budget, culminating in the final budget, which must be approved by midnight July 1.

Over the next couple months the council and the mayor will negotiate the details. But this year — unlike in the past when the process was rather congenial — squabbles will likely surface.

Niblack said the council is more likely to raise the income tax than the sales tax, which it would find regressive. Both would need approval from Albany, which has its own fiscal woes.

The city has already seen three rounds of budget cuts, and Friday’s proposal will likely repeat the slashing. Out of the five participants in this morning’s panel, four predicted the city would see layoffs this year (Only Mark Winston Griffith of the Drum Major Institute remained optimistic).

Lowenstein reasoned that because of the growth in the city’s labor force during the most recent boom (there are 280,000 jobs, she says), the city can afford to cut some positions.

“I wouldn’t say, ‘The sky is falling,’ when we have rounds of cuts coming up,” Lowenstein said.

By Courtney Gross on January 27, 2009, 5:48 pm

I heard the lions share would go towards Medicare payments that the city is obligated to pay, which would free up Billions (with a b) to go elsewhere.

Anyone know what time the budget press conference will be tomorrow?

Forum Member

Jaysus. I guess, ya know, at least we have our health....

Forum Member

And our youth...except thats running out for most of us too. Damn!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by aal2016 View Post
    And our youth...except thats running out for most of us too. Damn!

Yeah man, i'm friggin 27. This list is most likely it for me. Cripes....

Forum Member

Unhappy Hurt

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    Yeah man, i'm friggin 27. This list is most likely it for me. Cripes....

Yep , I'm 30 now. I guess i better just move on now. Sad to say that, sitting at 6** and in the best shape of my life. (My investagation closed a week to late for the july class) This is My lowest point in my life by far. I'm about to take the customs border protection test and see if that can stick. Still praying to get to the ROCK.
    As long as my Calling , Keeps Calling. I will be here.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by QNS6019JAN09 View Post
    Yep , I'm 30 now. I guess i better just move on now. Sad to say that, sitting at 6** and in the best shape of my life. (My investagation closed a week to late for the july class) This is My lowest point in my life by far. I'm about to take the customs border protection test and see if that can stick. Still praying to get to the ROCK.
    That is rough man. Big time. Just so I'm absolutely clear, as long as you signed up for the test before turning 29, you are still eligible right? That is my understanding....
    Last edited by roadrunner09; 01-30-2009 at 01:25 AM.

The budget gets unveiled at noon today, NY1 will have it live.

FLA1786
    Firehouse.com Guest

Quote Originally Posted by QNS6019JAN09 View Post
    Stay positive bro. Take all the tests expecting the worst and hoping for the best. You never know, the age requirement might have a "grandfathered" in effect cause of the times and circumstances. Stay strong, best of luck.

So far this is whats from the mayor's conference:

Either eliminate the 5th man on 65 engine co's OR close 16 companies in engine/truck houses

He's trying to avoid layoffs.

Trying to eliminate 400+ positions through attrition.

Also 25 year of service/ 50 year old pension system WITH medical care payments

The press conference is still going and I will let you guys know what they say.

So far he's pretty adamant about not laying off cops or firemen
    Last edited by SleepyHollow; 01-30-2009 at 01:33 PM.

Forum Member

FDNY Estimate 451 through attrition(retirements)
    http://nyc.gov/html/omb/downloads/pdf/sumss1_09.pdf
    I hope the UFA does not give into Bloomberg, giving up the 5th man in 65 engine co's that is in their contract. Bloomberg will probably close half 8 companies either way, just like in 03. He's up for reelection soon, people dont want any more fire companies closing, especially 16. Then again Bloomberg is an egomaniac, and will do anything to achieve his plans.

Overall, Bloomberg has proposed trimming the city workforce largely through attrition, reducing the job rolls by 7,686 positions.

"I've tried, to the extent possible, to protect the current workforce," the mayor said. "We don't have any obligation to protect people we haven't hired yet."

As for layoffs other than in education, the Administration for Children Services is poised to take the biggest hit to the tune of 608 jobs. Homeless Services is on tap to lose 222 jobs, Health and Mental Hygiene will see 57 people cut and the FDNY will lose three civilian employees.

3 civilian employees? If they dont plan on hiring anyone for 2 years, what will the 20 investigators at CID be doing for all that time. Just saying, I hope they dont lose their jobs.

"Friends of Firefighters" a 501 non profit organization is the 3 civilian jobs cut
    http://www.friendsoffirefighters.org...nt/view/43/75/
    Last edited by Queens6019; 01-30-2009 at 03:16 PM.

Forum Member

I'm glad he doesn't want to lay people off but according to the site these fire cuts would save 17million. I don't understand how somebody can seriously look into a camera and call for such drastic measures that will compromise the public safety of city residents and firefighters when this will help close the budget gap by less than 0.005%. Oh yeah and he could dip into his personal fortune and it would set him back by 0.0005%.

Thread Information