Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 618 FirstFirst ... 8151617181920212868118518 ... LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tonyda View Post
    3 and 5 min thats not bad. but at what speed i know i been doing the 1.5 miles on the treadmill at 7.5 miles per hour with no incline for 12 min and i'm pretty sure i max out. so at what speed do they test you on the stepmill and treadmill
    There is no test on a treadmill only the stepmill....

The rate on the stepmill is 59 steps p/m....Personally my heart rate goes much higher on the stepmill with the vest on than it does running with no weight.
    6019 #47x

Forum Member

Hey guys, I hope everyone is still hanging in there working out and staying out of trouble. Just stopping in to say hi.

Anyone know of any good deals for a weight vest? Those things are expensive! I'm going to start using the stepmill instead of just running all the time. My list is 17## so I figure I've got until at least the summer time before I get called for that, plenty of time just better start now.

Good luck to everyone who has started the process and keep us informed as you go along.

Forum Member

You have to be honest and tell them everything, you are being investigated as a Law Enforcement Officer and will be a "nys peace officer"
    Arrests do not automatically disqualify you, if they are above the acceptable level they may hire you with a "stip". I do not know the exact guidelines for what does or does not DQ you. I think it is done on a case by case basis. They will have you sign a document "stipulation" stating that you agree to get hired with on a conditional basis, it extends your probation (6 months, 1 year, etc), In that time (academy 6months +1 year probation+ however long the stip is) you get in any trouble you will be automatically terminated.

Forum Member

Default Medical

Im really nervous about the Medical.. my heart rate goes really high on the stepmill...any idea on how i can lower that ?

Forum Member

Anyone know if you failed your psychological for the nypd if it will mess with the applying for fdny?
    List # 13**

Default A quick question??

Does anyone know if prior use (Two times) of marijuana 6 years ago would disqualify someone?

They placed me on investigative review for the past 7 months, beasue they want to further look into this. Which caused me to miss the last 2 classes. What do you think??

NOTE: This was 6 yrs ago and have been clean since.

Forum Member

Default Medicals

Does anyone know what is tested during the medical physical? How long do the run and how many at a clip do they pull in?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Medical

Hello All,

Took the medical today nothing to be really worried about. Its sort of like an assembly line of events. You go from place to place doing your vitals, hearing, vision, etc. The doctor looks at you checks quickly over your stuff and you are off.
    For all of you that know you will be called soon get out and work out!! We had only 15 guys today and when I left which was fairly early 4 people had failed the stair master that I knew of and most of the guys who passed did so by only a few beats. If you get out and run and work out there should be no reason you are anywhere near 90% of your max in this exam. From the buzz around the office lots of people are failing the stair master. One of the guys said that out of a 40 person class they did before us only 6 passed. Dont be one of those guys or gals. GET IN SHAPE!!

Good Luck
    Keep Working out!
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with the poor timid spirits, who know neither victory nor defeat." FDR

Hey all, I just got home from my investigation, my number is in the 11XX. Anyway it went smooth, BE EARLY.. if you go and sit on the front left by the window like people have said before you will go first, the earlier you are the faster you get fingerprinted and get out. The investigators were very nice, just be nice to them and they will help you out.

Anyway I have a question, there were a few people there who were going to the CPAT prep course, they said they got something in the mail about it. I would like to go to these course's but never recieved anything in the mail about it. Maybe they didnt send it out to kids over #1000 yet? Anyway does anyone know a number I can contact to see about this or does anyone know if they have not sent it over a certain number yet, thanks a lot guys.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorC View Post
    Anyone know if you failed your psychological for the nypd if it will mess with the applying for fdny?
    I don't know how it works down there, but I know many times the PD and FD of a particular municipality will use the same company or psychologists. So they'll have your old answers and know why you failed. Don't lie on this psych to try and do better, or hope you remember if you lied before.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ant195 View Post
    Hello All,

Took the medical today nothing to be really worried about. Its sort of like an assembly line of events. You go from place to place doing your vitals, hearing, vision, etc. The doctor looks at you checks quickly over your stuff and you are off.
    For all of you that know you will be called soon get out and work out!! We had only 15 guys today and when I left which was fairly early 4 people had failed the stair master that I knew of and most of the guys who passed did so by only a few beats. If you get out and run and work out there should be no reason you are anywhere near 90% of your max in this exam. From the buzz around the office lots of people are failing the stair master. One of the guys said that out of a 40 person class they did before us only 6 passed. Dont be one of those guys or gals. GET IN SHAPE!!

Good Luck
    Keep Working out!
    ant if you recall what is the uncorrected vision requirement? I think its something around 20/40 or 20/50 but I'm not positive. I had LASIK about 3 months ago and was corrected to 20/15 but at this point I'm around 20/25 and very worried that it will continue to decline.

Forum Member

Default Medical

Hey ant, those guys that you know of that failed the stair stepper, were they out of shape? and are they allowing them to come back for a retry?

Forum Member

wow, your vision declines that fast after lasik? i was thinking of getting mine done, custom cornea bladeless, but for $5G's my eyes better last more than 3months. Is this normal? also, how is your night vision? i know someone that got it done that had bad glare issues at night after the procedure.
    Sh*t List 6019 - 68xx's

Forum Member

What should you wear to the medical, and about how long does it take?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SurferP View Post
    wow, your vision declines that fast after lasik? i was thinking of getting mine done, custom cornea bladeless, but for $5G's my eyes better last more than 3months. Is this normal? also, how is your night vision? i know someone that got it done that had bad glare issues at night after the procedure.
    It may have to do with my age. I got the procedure 2 months after I turned 20 years old, and there is always the risk of regression if my eyes were destined to keep changing after that age anyway. However, my eyes were stable for over a year before I got LASIK and my doctor recommends 19 to be the best age, so I don't think this is the case. Basically the only reason I got it this early was so I could get through the medical portion of this.

Also, my night glare is pretty bad, but that's something I've learned to deal with. I was told by many people, several of them physicians, that any night-vision complications(glare, starbursts, haloes) clear up after 3 months but this was not the case for me or for many others I've learned.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Vision

I do not recall the vision requirements for the medical. I know I passed that is all. I had lasik about a year ago. I dont have to much of a problem at night if I am not tired. If I am tired I get some glare but I relate it very similar to when I was wearing contacts and tired. Same kind of thing. I still would do the surgery any day of the week. It was worth it. When I finished my lasik I was around 20/15 also and it settled to around 20/20. Love it.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with the poor timid spirits, who know neither victory nor defeat." FDR

Hey guys-

Does anyone know if we need to have Lasik before the medical or just before appointment to academy?

Thx!
    List 6019, 7xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tennessee7789 View Post
    Hey guys-

Does anyone know if we need to have Lasik before the medical or just before appointment to academy?

Thx!
    From what I've heard, you can't use any corrective lenses (glasses or contacts) and pass the medical. You can try without, and if you fail they'll give you 30 days to get it fixed and come back. I did the Lasik in December-and agree that I would do it again in a heartbeat. Most places around the city will give a FDNY discount (I called 5 before deciding on mine and they all did.) Also, most offer an interest-free payment plan for a year or 18 months, which is what I'm on now. And if you have insurance, check with them, they may cover part of it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kstone498 View Post
    Hey all, I just got home from my investigation, my number is in the 11XX. Anyway it went smooth, BE EARLY.. if you go and sit on the front left by the window like people have said before you will go first, the earlier you are the faster you get fingerprinted and get out. The investigators were very nice, just be nice to them and they will help you out.

Anyway I have a question, there were a few people there who were going to the CPAT prep course, they said they got something in the mail about it. I would like to go to these course's but never recieved anything in the mail about it. Maybe they didnt send it out to kids over #1000 yet? Anyway does anyone know a number I can contact to see about this or does anyone know if they have not sent it over a certain number yet, thanks a lot guys.
    From what guys have been saying on here, they didn't mail out the letters to above 1,000. They're preparing the first 1,000 because they have the best shot of making it into the first academy. I imagine the next round of prep classes will begin in the fall since that will likely be when you do the rest of the tests, including CPAT, preparing to go into the 2nd academy in Nov/Dec. (Doubt they want to pass you on the medical or CPAT 10 months before you go into the academy.)
    I don't have my letter with me, but when I get home I can send you the # if you want to call and check.

Forum Member

Can anyone that has already been through the medical tell me how long it was between the interview and the medical? My interview was more than a week ago and my employer has yet to receive the investigation letter.
    6019 #47x

Thread Information