Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 199 of 618 FirstFirst ... 99149189196197198199200201202209249299 ... LastLast
Results 3,961 to 3,980 of 12347
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Queens6019 View Post
    I have no idea what his situation was... I could care less, I dont know the guy.
    Maybe you should look into it, it might impact you guys more than just opening another slot.

Forum Member

If you quote me, please quote me completely, . Thank you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CalmB4Storm View Post
    Maybe you should look into it, it might impact you guys more than just opening another slot.
    Sounds like something we should be interested in, and how exactly would one go about looking into it?

Just stating a fact.
    I have no idea what his situation was, maybe he couldnt afford it, maybe it wasnt for him, maybe he moved back home, maybe he liked his old job better, maybe something else.... hopefully it was his decision and it was well thought out. Im not fishing for any stories, I could care less, I dont know the guy.
    Im just pointing out information that is available to the public via the online edited version of the department orders. no comments, no stories, no celebration.
    Fact is every class will lose a couple of guys. A few guys will resign usually within a year after graduating.
    Queens, you've contributed a lot on here and yet it seems you suddenly forgot who you seem to be getting lippy with. I'll gently remind you that Calm is a retired Lieutenant who used to teach at The Rock. While the orders may come out and provide you statistics, each statistic is an individual and while you could care less about the guy, he possibly meant something to his house and this department. He wasn't just a body filling a slot you hope to fill one day.
    Check your attitude and remember who some of the people on here are....please.

Forum Member

I think it serves to remind all of us wanna bes that not everyone can make it and to be on our toes. Whatever the story may be, maybe he got an injury in the academy that never healed, maybe he didnt make it through retraining, maybe he violated a stip, maybe he has a severe illness, maybe he mouthed off to a chief. . I dont know and Im not going to find out. Whatever the case is, it serves to remind us of a few things,things we can control, be in your best shape, stay out of trouble, keep your mouth shut. BTW it did not give a house assignment, all it said was BOT.

I know who calm or "20and in is out" or Lt. A B. Its awesome that he gave us a heads up while he could and I appreciate that. And all the advice guys that are OTJ/retired give is helpful and Im thankful for it.I wasnt giving anyone lip or attitude. All I asked was to not twist my words. Im not thin skinned but having everything said on here overanylized is rididulus. Im done with this senior man over the internet stuff. Not for nothing, but this isnt the rock or the firehouse. Good Luck Boys. Queens6019 is out

BTW by saying "Im not fishing for any stories, I could care less, I dont know the guy." I meant Im not looking for a DWI story or beat up the girlfriend story.

Forum Member

maybe he got an injury in the academy that never healed,
    Well if that was the case he would have retired, not resigned, Right?

Sorry if I didn't quote you completely but I thought the "..." would clearly indicate the quote was abridged and simply an excerpt of the important point.

Perhaps you're right and I need to retire completely but this kid's resignation hit me pretty hard and I unfortunately brought it here where it clearly didn't belong.

BTW, thanks for the recognition.

Forum Member

Unhappy

C'mon guys. Let's all take a breather here. This thread has been very helpful to all of us for a couple of years now, and we do not want to lose any of its helpful members. Queens6019, please stay active in this thread because we all appreciate you keeping us posted with the news. And Calm, please continue giving us great advice and steering us in the right direction. We can ill-afford to lose two of this thread's most helpful contributors. Anywho, that's my post for today. I'm over and out.
    6019- was sitting at 13xx
    2000- now sitting at 18xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by My1Goal View Post
    C'mon guys. Let's all take a breather here. This thread has been very helpful to all of us for a couple of years now, and we do not want to lose any of its helpful members. Queens6019, please stay active in this thread because we all appreciate you keeping us posted with the news. And Calm, please continue giving us great advice and steering us in the right direction. We can ill-afford to lose two of this thread's most helpful contributors. Anywho, that's my post for today. I'm over and out.
    I second this,
    Calm; lately Queens has been posting all the retirements, deaths, related news, and resignations for all candidate's knowledge. I don't think he was posting the info to make it seem like another slot opened up so please don't take it as so. It was just recent news that he, as usual, posted for all who didn't know. I'm sure no disrespect was intended to you or anyone else on the job.

Forum Member

?????????????????????????????? ?????
    Last edited by Figh17ting; 08-10-2009 at 09:59 AM.

I utilized this forum long before I got on.
    Yet never did I come across as snotty or lecture back to someone who was offering their information here, especially a known member of the department. That is what I perceived and made a remark about.

True, this is not a firehouse. But you can still be respectful.

On that note, Queens has been posting A LOT of great information, that even a lot of us on the job don't come across. Keep it coming.

Hang tough.
    bam

Forum Member

I second what Bam says. Granted, this is a forum; but it's a very specific forum of the haves and have-nots of this specific department. There are a few great haves on here that post useful information and, since a good portion of them have time on the job, the advice they have is rock solid. It pays to heed their word because their input comes from years of being in the very place you want to be.

We all have different personalities, views, and ways of going about things. Probably the most important thing you learn being on this job is how to stick together and work together, regardless of what you might disagree on.

It's pretty damn tough for one person to do everything it takes to put out a fire. It's pretty tough to go through all it takes to get on this job by yourself, too.

Stick together, stay determined, be patient. Good luck.
    Just a peon proby in the greatest job in the world; grinning ear to ear.

S & P hit positive territory for the year today. The dow is only a few good days away from being positive for the year.

This week may end a bit rough with the rumors of the bank stress tests coming up, but keep positive, and hopefully those dudes on wall street are paying taxes on some bonuses finally

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SeminoleB View Post
    It's pretty damn tough for one person to do everything it takes to put out a fire. It's pretty tough to go through all it takes to get on this job by yourself, too.
    Nicely put, brother.

Forum Member

Hey don't mean to change subject but I got a letter from dcas today may 5th which was sent out may 1st that said I passed my cpat which I took back in either september or october. Any idea why I got it now or did anyone else get one?
    List # 13**

Forum Member

I think I got my letter from them saying I passed when I was already in academy. Not the quickest...
    Just a peon proby in the greatest job in the world; grinning ear to ear.

Forum Member

I don't know where you are with these articles Queens6019. I'm sure you were gonna post them, but here they are. Pretty interesting. I can't figure out on this forum how to bold some of the important parts in them because I'm a computer reject, but they'll jump out at you guys on their own.....

Fire Facts and Politics
    Chief Leader

Editorial

The Fire Department has offered the Uniformed Firefighters Association a way to save 16 fire units that are scheduled to be eliminated under the city budget: give up the guarantee of a fifth Firefighter on 60 engine companies to provide equivalent savings.
    This tradeoff, which Mayor Bloomberg cited during his budget press conference last Friday as one example of the sort of union cooperation he is seeking, was rejected by UFA President Steve Cassidy. He contends that cutting one firefighter from each of those companies would create potential safety hazards because it would take longer to stretch their hose lines and to get water on a fire. In an interview with this newspaper's Ari Paul, he cited a 22-yearold study by then-FDNY Deputy Chief Vincent Dunn that found that it took 75 percent longer to get the hose line into position when operating with a four- Firefighter crew.

The city disregarded that finding a couple of years later when, as part of a contract arbitration with the UFA, it got the guarantee of five-Firefighter engine crews stricken from the contract. Safety concerns later led the department to maintain crews of that size for the 60 companies now at issue.

The rationale for working with smaller crews, then and now, comes down to money. The Bloomberg administration believes that a reduction in structural fires over the past two decades has reduced the danger in working one Firefighter short, and the FDNY points to its success in speeding response time in recent years as another mitigating factor.

Mr. Cassidy argues, however, that the department is using an imperfect method of measuring responses by basing it on when a company arrives at a fire rather than when it gets water on the fire. It's an easier calculation, for the simple reason that there is a significant fluctuation in the time it takes to get the hose line working depending on the type of building where it is being deployed. He also contends that Firefighters wearing heavy protective clothing known as bunker gear—which they did not have at the time of Chief Dunn's study—slows the rate at which they can move into a building and get hose lines working, meaning the extra Firefighter has an even more pronounced impact now than it did in 1987.

He clearly is unhappy at the prospect of fire companies being disbanded. The union leader may also be counting on a factor that could be more compelling than the safety issues he has cited: it's an election year.

Mr. Bloomberg, whose huge financial advantage over City Comptroller Bill Thompson leaves him heavily favored to win another term, has decided he can defy the conventional wisdom that you don't cut fire service while seeking re-election.

City Council Members who are not as well-fixed as the Mayor may conclude they don't have that luxury. It is usually a given that the Council restores library services when a Mayor chops them from a budget; this time around, fire services could also figure high on the list of restorations when a final spending plan is reached next month.

Forum Member

UFA: Won't Cut Engine Co. Staffing to Save Fire Units
    Chief Leader

by ARI PAUL

The Fire Department's proposal to close 16 fire companies to fit the confines of the Mayor's austere budget plan has outraged fire unions, community groups and City Council Members, uniting them behind the message that such cuts will slow response times and endanger the public.
    Mayor Bloomberg and Fire Commissioner Nicholas Scoppetta have offered a compromise: If the Uniformed Firefighters Association agrees to the use of four Firefighters on the 60 engine companies that currently operate with five, the proposed cuts could be averted. The Independent Budget Office estimated that having four-Firefighter operation at all companies would save $35.8 million annually, saying that in addition to saving money the change would discourage firefighters from taking excessive sick leave.

UFA: 'No' on Safety Grounds

UFA President Steve Cassidy has refused the offer, saying that such a change would dramatically increase the amount of time it would take an engine company to put water on a fire after it arrives at a fire building.

"We're not doing it, because we believe that staffing is critically important to the safety of my members and also to the public," he said in an interview at his union's Manhattan office. "We've told the department 'no.' "

Mr. Cassidy's resistance stems from a long-standing conflict he has had with the department on how it measures response times. The FDNY has boasted faster response times in the past few years, but Mr. Cassidy maintained that this figure only represented how long it took for FDNY members to arrive on the scene. The difficulty in measuring response, firefighting experts have asserted, is that times for establishing water lines vary greatly depending on the size and shapes of buildings around the city, making a meaningful average figure hard to calculate.

The UFA leader pointed to an FDNY study in 1987 by Deputy Chief Vincent Dunn, examining the difference between five- and four-Firefighter engine companies.

'Crew of Four Ineffective'

"An engine company with a crew of four is an ineffective basic unit of service delivery," Deputy Chief Dunn concluded, noting that hose-stretch time was increased by 75 percent on four-Firefighter crews.

A lot has changed since then; there are fewer structural fires and the FDNY is responding faster. But Mr. Cassidy argued that since 1995 Firefighters have had to carry heavy bunker gear that can slow their operation.

"We'd welcome a new study immediately," he said, vowing to fund such an effort. "There was no bunker gear, and the amount of weight that Firefighters are now carrying is dramatically increased from what it was in 1987. So that extra man, I believe, and common sense dictates, will have an even bigger effect-a positive effect- in getting water on the fire."

Mr. Cassidy faulted the department for not accepting a UFA proposal last year to have a dispatcher broadcast on the radios how long firefighters have been operating inside a fire building before a water line was established. This, he said, would give his members a better idea of the conditions they were working in, adding that the FDNY's reluctance to accept the plan was related to the staffing issue.

"The reason, I believe, that they said no was two things: number one, it's coming from the UFA and they couldn't possibly accept an idea from the UFA," Mr. Cassidy said. "And secondly, more importantly, it would have forced them to measure how long it takes to get water on the fire. And then we would have been able to compare fire-to-fire, incident-to-incident, in reductions in staffing, manning, closed companies, and how they really impact the bottom line, which is how long it takes to get water on the fire."

FDNY: A Matter of Choices

FDNY spokesman Steve Ritea said that Mr. Cassidy had changed his prior position on five-person staffing.

"He said it was excessive staffing and eating up too much overtime," Mr. Ritea said. "It's obvious that five men on an engine is better than four. The important question is whether it's better to keep the extra member in place at 60 engines at the expense of completely shutting down 16 companies."

The UFA has said that the FDNY can make budget cuts without affecting fire suppression operations. Among some of the alternative cuts Mr. Cassidy proposed was dissolving the recruiting unit, noting that since the department was reducing its headcount, such an expense was not necessary.

"They need a recruiting unit like they need a hole in the head," Mr. Cassidy said. "Now they're looking at the possibility of layoffs, so they're probably not going to hire anybody off this [eligibles] list for at least a year and a half."

The FDNY has stated that it has made substantial civilian cuts, but that the bulk of budget reductions would have to be made in operations.

Cut Security Costs

In March, Commissioner Scoppetta told the City Council: "For our Randall's Island, Fort Totten and Maspeth fleet facilities, we discontinued contracts for security services by March 1, 2009 for a savings of $1.1 million. We are redeploying 39 training personnel to the field to reduce overtime. This will save approximately $1.5 million in Fiscal Year 2010."

Mr. Cassidy said that the FDNY tacitly admits that engine companies operate better with five Firefighters, because when Ladder 53 on City Island in The Bronx is closed at night, the department staffs Engine 70—in the same firehouse—with a fifth Firefighter.

"That extra Firefighter has the ability to grab tools, pop the door while they're stretching lines and then go back to other responsibilities; there are a myriad of things the fifth Firefighter on a five-man engine company can and does do," he said. "I think they're really admitting it themselves how important five-man engine companies are, because if it doesn't mean anything, why did you put a fifth man at 70 Engine?"

The union has put its support behind City Council Fire and Criminal Justice Services Committee Chair James Vacca's bid to fight operational cuts. In a phone interview, Mr. Vacca opposed any firehouse closings, regardless of the UFA's refusal to accept four-Firefighter engine companies citywide.

"I don't see any reason to close any firehouses to begin with," he said. "I think it should be taken off the table."

Forum Member

Default Fdny

Got a letter from my investigator today requesting my 2008 W-2's and letter pertaining to a period of umemployment. She said next class is still scheduled for Jan 2010

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by QCFRANKC View Post
    Got a letter from my investigator today requesting my 2008 W-2's and letter pertaining to a period of umemployment. She said next class is still scheduled for Jan 2010
    I hope she's right. Gotta keep the faith, fellas. ^^
    6019- was sitting at 13xx
    2000- now sitting at 18xx

Forum Member

Remain cautiously optimistic because we all know things can change in an instant and things need to get a lot better very quickly in order for that to work out, not to burst any bubbles or anything.

Thread Information