Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

Forum Member

Default First Day

So what's the deal, I know it's a long way off but do you have to run 1 1/2 miles in 12 minutes or less or is it 13 minutes the first day?

Quote Originally Posted by FatherPierce View Post
    Hey gang,

A bit of information from good sources:

Be ready to run the 1.5 mile in under 13 min to stay in the class. You will also be asked to do 30 situps, 30 pushups, and 4 pullups that first week. Be ready to run LONG DISTANCES! 4 mile runs over the Triboro Bridge or into Manhattan are not rare. If you are not prepared, life will be hell.
    How cool would it be to run over the Triborough Bridge in class at the FDNY. Four miles no problem, we will all be pumped. If any of you upstate/out of state candidates have never run over one of the bridges to Manhattan, do it when you are here for the prep course, it's awesome. I've run the Brooklyn Bridge many times. Looking at the scenery, you forget that you are running.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hopefully09 View Post
    Guys, I am going to start gearing up by putting the additiional 25 pounds of dirt in a backpack on top of my 50lb vest. Doesn't it hurt your back, or mess up your posture with all that weight on your back rather then distributed evenly with the vest?

Hoping that with a number in the 800's I should be good to go for a class beginning of next year....
    that was my concern that having all or the majority of the weight on your back will screw up your back..anyone with any experience with this?

Ive heard of people making their own vests but never seen one before
    Last edited by matty21; 01-16-2008 at 01:35 PM.

Forum Member

Be careful with just loading up a backpack with weight plates. The purpose-built vests do a better job of symmetrical axial loading, so theyre a bit safer to use.

The issue has been addressed a couple of times by a Dr. in the 'Training' forum on this board.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by matty21 View Post
    that was my concern that having all or the majority of the weight on your back will screw up your back..anyone with any experience with this?

Ive heard of people making their own vests but never seen one before
    FWIW, 5 years of wearing 35+ pounds of body armor while running around a warzone has left my back, hips and knees pretty much toasted.

btw... my number is 2900-something, any ideas how long a wait that's looking at?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Back Pack

I use a backpack with 75 lbs its a little tough on the back but its not too bad. I have also used 50 lbs in the backpack and then held a 25 lbs weight in my arms that works well to distribute the lbs better. It is also good because you can do 5-10 min with 75 lbs and then drop 25 lbs easy and do more with the 50 lbs. I use this like the CPAT I do the 3 min 20 sec with 75 then put the 25 plate down and then finish with 10-15 min with the 50 lbs.
    Works great.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with the poor timid spirits, who know neither victory nor defeat." FDR

Forum Member

Skyline's right about the commercially made vests. Mine is very comfortable and I can strap the additional 25lbs on when I want. The vest has pockets for the weights in front and back, high and low. With velcro straps, it's easy to tighten or loosen. A friend reloads shotgun shells and gave me two 12 1/2lb. bags of lead shot. I took them to a canvas shop and had two pieces of velcro sewn on the bags and two on the shoulder straps of the vest. Cost me $5.00. I figure when I'm done with the vest, I will sell it on eBay.

Forum Member

Hoping that with a number in the 800's I should be good to go for a class beginning of next year....
    I'm thinkin I might be in this one, too. I'm in the high 600s and think it's going to be too far out for making the first academy, so I'm guessing it'll be Jan for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Douseit View Post
    Glad you're feeling better. I think we all have to be careful. Don't want to get injured now.
    Agreed. I'm definitely worried about getting hurt stupidly now that it's on the horizon. I'm selling my motorcycle and, one of the big reasons besides $$$, is that I'm worried about an accident or ticket that could jeopardize my chances at the job.

I'd also chime in to take it easy with the backpack. All that weight being behind you is not that great for your shoulders or back, plus it might throw you off when you do get to the CPAT when the weight is distributed differently. You'll need stabilizer muscles to keep you from teetering on the step mill that you might not train as much of if you're keeping all that weight too far back.

Plus, you're definitely increasing injury potential, especially pulling a muscle, if you lose your balance with all that weight back there. Just my .02.

Quote Originally Posted by Douseit View Post
    How cool would it be to run over the Triborough Bridge in class at the FDNY. Four miles no problem, we will all be pumped. If any of you upstate/out of state candidates have never run over one of the bridges to Manhattan, do it when you are here for the prep course, it's awesome. I've run the Brooklyn Bridge many times. Looking at the scenery, you forget that you are running.
    Definitely cool to run the Triborough. I walked it back from a concert on Randall's over the summer and can definitely second the views being pretty cool. We were on the north side, so the view was of the Hellgate and the Bronx, not Midtown. I don't actually know if there is a pedestrian path on the south side or not.
    Just a peon proby in the greatest job in the world; grinning ear to ear.

MembersZone Subscriber

Unfortunately no device simulates wearing full turnouts with boots, helmets and scba well. I train with the 50 pound weight vest from weightvest.com and find it to be a great piece of equipment that i use not only for stair training but for everyday workouts.

The unfortunate thing about any weightvest is that they unfairly put all the weight on the upper trunk and in truth weight is much more dispersed However, I would still definitely recommend purchasing a vest over using a backback.

Training on the stepmill is a good idea for the actual medical/cpat, but its not very functional. You'll see that its very different from actual stair climbing.

And as usual, I'll plug CrossFit, www.crossfit.com, the grassroots movement and free resource with the best functional training for Military, LEO, Fire and any type of superior athlete.

Best to everyone in 08.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jremNY View Post
    Training on the stepmill is a good idea for the actual medical/cpat, but its not very functional. You'll see that its very different from actual stair climbing.
    I like the stairmill/stairstepper I'm using at my gym. As you said, it's a good idea for the actual medical/cpat. For me, that's where my sight is focused for the next three months. I consider myself to be in good shape and plan to stay that way if I'm hired. I'm not sure if training with a vest will be a part of my regular workout. I feel it's hard on your body having all that weight pushing down on your lower spine. I tried the vest on stairs, going up was okay and gave me a good workout. Going down was tougher on the knees.
    BigGriffC12 likes this.

Forum Member

Seminole, were you at Rock the Bells? I know that was on Randalls Island.
    Yessir. I was there for the Sunday show when it turned into a mud pit from all the rain and everything was trashed. I was actually pretty disappointed with the show. I pretty much just came to see Rage and was shocked at the lack of interested in them when they played.

Then again, it was a pretty eclectic mix of artists, so I guess it's a bit much to think that everyone would like every performer.

Did you go to that show?

Forum Member

Anybody with a list # over 1000 gotten the information about the CPAT prep in the mail yet?

13xx.

It's nice to see a seperate section for the new list. A little easier to skim for info on 6019 without 2043 posts mixed in!

My understanding is that the first 1000 numbers were mailed the info on the CPAT class. I've also been told that the first 800-1000 numbers will go through the process for July. I guess that depends on the number of people that are promoted from the EMS promotional list. I'm told that in the past that 1 out of every 2 people were hired. For this list, I've been told to expect 1 out of every 3 candidates to get the call. I guess this will be for a variety of reasons ranging from people that just don't show up to failing the CPAT to people that fail background for whatever reason. So if you have a number 800 or better, then be prepared. You really never know what will happen with this list. I'm at 1500, so it's just a waiting game for me at this point.

As for the CPAT, if you're regularly active, I wouldn't stress to much about the CPAT. I've taken it twice and passed without ever having practiced or really trained for it. If you're working out and preparing, you should be set, especially if you're heading to the CPAT prep, something I'll take advantage of when I have the chance. I wouldn't worrying about the pace either. From what I can tell, if you're in shape and coordinated, you'll be fine. The key is to stay calm. In my small and humble opinion, prepare for the academy, because that's the place you really want to show that you're ready and that you want the job.

I thought I'd share a little bit of my training because I think it's probably a lot different than most people have seen... Each day I do about 200 push ups and sit ups when I get up and before I go to bed. I also stretch at least once per day. I like to run on an incline, whether in be a grassy/sandy hill or a treadmill with a incline with 50 pound on my shoulders. If I'm using a hill, I sometimes I carry 25lbs in each hand.

I run for 45 minutes at a continuous pace about 4 days a week. Other days I run 15 minutes as hard as I can. I also do about 10 sprints and I jump rope after. No joke. It's a great for the heart and legs. I do a some lifting, usually exercises like squats, cleans, and deadlifts. I use a lower weight and do a high number of reps. This helps to build strength that is both explosive and enduring, if that makes any sense. Pull Ups and wall pushups are great too.

I also do the following, which is the abnormal part. I use a 20lb sledge and I hit a pile of tires lashed together. I can put these same tires over a post and hit them as it I were hitting a halligan. I have a plastic sled with a piece of hose attached to it and I pull it across my yard, with 100lbs to 150lbs on the sled. I use several different motions. I have an old steel halligan hook with a sling I fashioned that can hold about 45 pounds. I push it up and down in the air to simulate pulling ceilings and the such. I also use and 45 pound weight an slide it across the wall above or below my head and waist like I would be using a saw.

Just a little different. I'm not trying to say that this is better or what anyone else is doing isn't worthwhile. I just thought I might share my ideas in the case that they might help out.

Forum Member

Well sh-t guys. Took me a couple days to find this thread. I had wondered why everything seemed to die off in the 2006 thread. Good idea in starting a new one. Sadly the gym where I train doesn't have a step mill like the one I used to go to. It does have a stair climber but I don't like it as much. I'm signed up for the 26th as well. The more time that passes the more relaxed I get, which is nice because I was real nervous for some time. I'm still wondering which class I'll prob get into. I'd really like to make the june one, though with the 200ish ems guys I think I'm gonna have to wait till next jan.
    Last edited by Irish6019; 01-17-2008 at 12:59 AM.

Forum Member

Dont count yourself out. I already know a handful of ems guys either not bothering to continue with the process, or have prior obligations causing them to intend to defer; assuming theyd pass everything from here on out (a BIG assumption.)

Just stay ready.

Forum Member

Default Investigation packets out

Investigation packets are out. Now to buckle down and make it through this pile of information. . .

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Irish6019 View Post
    The more time that passes the more relaxed I get, which is nice because I was real nervous for some time. I'm still wondering which class I'll prob get into. I'd really like to make the june one, though with the 200ish ems guys I think I'm gonna have to wait till next jan.
    I'm feeling the same way. I actually like the fact that we are ranked. Puts the worry behind us. What it is, is what it is. Now we just got to impress the system. I don't feel we are in competition against each other either. Thousands will be hired from our List. I look at the hiring process as an individual event on a team. No one from here, decides my fate except me and the FDNY. The first few thousand will definitely get their shot. Before the List winds down, there will be another test and another ranking. If I don't make it this time, I will try again.

Irish, I hope you get in for the June class too and if you do, I hope you look around and see me in there too. Don't worry about the EMS people, there is nothing you can do about them. Keep training, stay focused and be ready. The nice thing about your position, you know you will be called and you know you will get your shot.
    Last edited by Douseit; 01-17-2008 at 09:43 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey fellas when did you guys get on this list.. how recent?

Forum Member

I'm definitely more relaxed now that some sort of road map with markers is in place. I'm looking forward to getting further and further (hopefully, of course) down the trail.

I know each event attended and passed will make me as excited as a kid on Christmas morning.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SeminoleB View Post
    I know each event attended and passed will make me as excited as a kid on Christmas morning.
    I'm already excited about next week. Can't wait to hear what they have to say.

Corey, the list we are talking about is for the FDNY test given January 20, 2007. It was designated as List 6019 and is comprised of everyone who passed the test. Each member was ranked by how well they scored on the test and extra credit was given for residency and military service. This list will be used over the next few years for future FDNY classes.

Forum Member

What is your list #? Can anyone else confirm this?
    Mid 300s.
    I spoke to one other guy on here who got it as well. Looks like there's no real order with CPAT, medical, background since all are pass/fail. I go to turn all this in on Feb. 13th.

Forum Member

Sounds good, how long ago did you get the packet in the mail? How long did they give you to fill it all out? Thanks for the info.

Did anyone else higher up receive a packet?
    I got the packet yesterday and have to turn in everything on 2/13. Which is tight considering all the documents I have to pull together: W-2s, explanation of a ticket I got in college, transcripts, birth cert, driving abstracts from every state I've had a license (3), & etc. Also to fill out all the info in the application. But it doesn't matter-I'm thrilled to be one step closer.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by johhnyboy View Post
    Anybody with a list # over 1000 gotten the information about the CPAT prep in the mail yet?

13xx.
    still waiting at low 1100's.. I'm thinking that they are going to process alot of people in the beginning because they don't know the fail rate yet. I'm thinking that well be going down spring/summer. JMO

Forum Member

Just checked my mail no investigation packet.
    Last edited by Queens6019; 01-29-2008 at 05:22 PM.

Forum Member

Default New member here

Hey all, been lurking here a bit for a while. I'm list #567, taking the info class on the 22nd. I am wondering if i can make it in for the upcoming class. Just hope I do well on the CPAT, I'm in pretty good shape but I haven't been working out like I should. That said, congrats and good luck to all.

Forum Member

Skyline, are you looking at the June class?
    Not wanting to jinx it, but if all goes well, yes.

Thread Information