Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

Forum Member

Amen^^^^^^

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    The TOTAL numbers are above. This included light duty, LSS and ML. When I say down, I'm referring to the fact that the city has been understaffed and has had to hire O/T for either the 9x or the 6x almost every other day.

This vacation cycle is winding down, so this will dwindle, but as soon as the next letter starts, we're back to this story.
    I agree...but the total is what they(9MT, OMB, City Council...etc) base hiring on. That is all I'm saying. Despite the bizzare mismanagement of Mr. Magoo...it is actually more cost effective to pay guys like us a little MMOT than to have the city over a few tours here and there with more bodies on the payroll.

Nothing will be clear until His Majesty King Bloomberg is or isn't re-crowned in Nov.

If I were on this list...I would still be pursuing plan B and C as if A was never going to happen.

Expect the worst and hope for the best.

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED View Post

If I were on this list...I would still be pursuing plan B and C as if A was never going to happen.

FTM-PTB
    Easy for you to say.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMEFIRE600 View Post
    Easy for you to say.
    Sure is, but I was in that position and he's absolutely correct.

Forum Member

Sure is, but I was in that position and he's absolutely correct.
    Were you, really?

My point is, there is only so much we can take of this knowing how close we are without going absolutely insane and feeling taken advantage of by the city because they know we'll be there when they call. Although I know you guys are on the job and are trying to offer us sound advice, but you are on the job already, you do not know each candidate's personal situation. I know some of you waited five years to get on, etc. Honestly I would almost rather have a higher list number and be able to put this on the back burner and pursue other things, but you can't really pursue something major when you are told you'll be hired in a few months.

All I'm trying to say is, this is not like having that toy underneath the tree, its a lot more serious than that, this is NOT a sure thing.

P.S. Yes calm and fred call me a crybaby, igm, cry me a river, call this a sob story. But how many months or weeks did you wait from the time you got the call to your first day at the rock?
    Last edited by GIMMEFIRE600; 06-04-2011 at 04:11 PM.

Forum Member

I sure hope he doesnt win re election, He will claim faster response times and less civilian fatalities = time to close more companies and downsize the dept. More smoke and mirror tactics. On the bright side, at least the Dow is up..... for now..

http://www.ny1.com/content/top_stori...s/Default.aspx

http://theyeshivaworld.com/news/Gene...On+Record.html

http://www.nyc.gov/html/fdny/html/pr...609_6109.shtml

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Queens6019 View Post
    I sure hope he doesnt win re election, He will claim faster response times and less civilian fatalities = time to close more companies and downsize the dept. More smoke and mirror tactics. On the bright side, at least the Dow is up..... for now..

http://www.ny1.com/content/top_stori...s/Default.aspx

http://theyeshivaworld.com/news/Gene...On+Record.html

http://www.nyc.gov/html/fdny/html/pr...609_6109.shtml
    Thats another thing, if there is no class in October, I wouldn't count on a January class at all. Bloomberg has already said the city is facing a 4 or 5 billion dollar budget gap for fy2011. The mayor must propose a budget in January which if the budget gap is still that large, you can be damn sure he'll be proposing more firehouse closures, which obviously means no hiring. If by some miracle Thompson wins, you know he'll want to appear as if he is acting fiscally responsible. The question is will he sacrifice public safety. Oh yeah, and then theres the vulcan suit. GETTING ON THIS JOB IS DEFINITELY NOT A SURE THING FOR ANYBODY ON 6019.
    Last edited by GIMMEFIRE600; 09-16-2009 at 10:46 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Queens6019 View Post
    at least the Dow is up..... for now..
    I've actually been kind of obsessed with the Stock market and the economy since it ****ed us last year (know your enemy y'know?) and the general consensus is that the economy is in a state of slow repair, and expect a 10% pullback in stocks sometime in the next few months (hope i'm wrong on that, its about 50/50 form the talking heads)

Thats another thing, if there is no class in October, I wouldn't count on a January class at all. Bloomberg has already said the city is facing a 4 or 5 billion dollar budget gap for fy2011. The mayor must propose a budget in January which if the budget gap is still that large, you can be damn sure he'll be proposing more firehouse closures, which obviously means no hiring. If by some miracle Thompson wins, you know he'll want to appear as if he is acting fiscally responsible. Oh yeah, and then theres the vulcan suit. GETTING ON THIS JOB IS DEFINITELY NOT A SURE THING FOR ANYBODY ON 6019.

this is why its vitally important to keep up pressure on your city councilman, bloomberg can only propose the budget, council has to vote on it, and no citiy councilman wants to be the person who closes their neighborhood firehouse.
    I should have cleaned up the chili.....why didn't I clean up the chili!!!!!!

Forum Member

Were you, really? Did they skip your list number because of something minor and you missed the first academy class off your list? Did they then tell you "don't worry its only 6 months?" Did you then, six months later, accept the offer of employment presented to you after completing the run? Did you then, three days later, receive a letter rescinding that offer of employment? Did you then go back and retake your medical because it expired? Where you then told October is a sure thing by pretty much everybody at your medical retake? Did you then read everybody's post today on the forums once again with the news that the class has been postponed once again?

My point is, there is only so much we can take of this knowing how close we are without going absolutely insane and feeling taken advantage of by the city because they know we'll be there when they call. Although I know you guys are on the job and are trying to offer us sound advice, but you are on the job already, you do not know each candidate's personal situation. I know some of you waited five years to get on, etc. Honestly I would almost rather have a higher list number and be able to put this on the back burner and pursue other things, but you can't really pursue something major when you are told you'll be hired in a few months.

All I'm trying to say is, this is not like having that toy underneath the tree, its a lot more serious than that, this is NOT a sure thing.

P.S. Yes calm and fred call me a crybaby, igm, cry me a river, call this a sob story. But how many months or weeks did you wait from the time you got the call to your first day at the rock?

I waited 5 years!! You've got lotsa time to catch up to me pal!! I got screwed out of residency points and that pushed me back over 3,000 spots!!

This city and the job owe you nothing. Stop crying and acting like you're the only person getting beat around. Read back through 260+ pages! There are a lot of guys who are frustrated and we ALL KNOW WHAT IT FEELS LIKE!

I think this is enough of this place for me.

Best of luck, I'm out.

Forum Member

I waited 5 years!! You've got lotsa time to catch up to me pal!! I got screwed out of residency points and that pushed me back over 3,000 spots!!

This city and the job owe you nothing. Stop crying and acting like you're the only person getting beat around. Read back through 260+ pages! There are a lot of guys who are frustrated and we ALL KNOW WHAT IT FEELS LIKE!

I think this is enough of this place for me.

Best of luck, I'm out.

Hope you're not out for good, FDsouthbxNY. We can't afford to lose valuable advice/news from you, Calm, FFFREd, and the rest of our senior members on this board. And GIMMEFIRE600, we can all imagine what you're going through. But all we can do is stay in shape and, as Sleepy has posted above, pressure our council members. Our situation sucks total ***, but let's all keep faith.
    6019- was sitting at 13xx
    2000- now sitting at 18xx

Forum Member

Gimmiefire...

Take a deep breath. Every single person I know on the job has their own personal ***** sandwich story of what they had to eat to get on.

Consider this part of yours.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by SkylinePCG View Post
    Gimmiefire...

Take a deep breath. Every single person I know on the job has their own personal ***** sandwich story of what they had to eat to get on.

Consider this part of yours.
    if all it took was eating a **** sandwich... Consider it done.. Where do I sign?

Forum Member

Gimmefire:

I completely understand where you are coming from. Every word.

And unlike a lot of these guys who want somebody to play a fiddle for them, you know what you're talking about and you make some good points.

Especially the part about being so damn close you can taste it, but also so damn close that you cant really go off and do something major or worthwhile with your time because you're always being told you'll be called "in 6 months."

Today, i sat there at my crap job that barely pays anything and pays it 2 or 3 weeks late, covered in sawdust and "garbage juice," my boss' foot halfway up my ***** calling me every 4 seconds to tell me what else is my fault, thinking: what the hell am i doing this for? What am i waiting for? Is this ***** ever gonna happen?

"I wish i could go active duty and learn some worthwhile *****. I wish i could start medic school. I wish i could go down to PG county. I wish i could save a bit of money and travel the states a little." Etc...Etc...

We are definately 3 bites deep into the crap sandwich.

...but...

Just like you said: we WILL come whenever the city calls. And we'll come with a smile on our face. And we'll keep coming, every time they test, and retest, and dick us around.

Because this is the dream.

Because every time you see a fire truck you wish you were in the cab, and you cant help but get a big ***** eating grin on your face. Because, ****ed off as you are at the system and the circumstances, they'd have to cut off your legs to make you give up on this.

Now, you might say: one more time, and ive had it. But youre really just kidding yourself, bro. Cause deep down, you've already made your decision. You've already decided you're gonna wait as long as it takes. Just like me and the rest of the bums who check this forum every night.

And that's why you're going to be a new york city fireman, and the other guy, the guy who said "this isnt fair, im not putting up with this BS" is not.

Screw that guy.

He's not us. He wont be on our crew. He wont be watching our backs. He wont be eating dinner at our table.

He'll be watching us ride by in an engine or a ladder.

Or watching us joke around in a supermarket when we're picking up food for dinner.

And nobody's gonna play the fiddle for his sorry *****.

Senior guys. Please stick with us.

11XX
    Last edited by aal2016; 09-17-2009 at 08:54 PM.

Forum Member

I agree with every word you said gimmefire...on top of finding out about the academy being postponed, i also found out that i was not going to be hired by another city/state agency bc i am on the FD list with a low number and im too much of a risk to hire...so on top of finding out im not getting on 2 jobs, i also am getting layed off from my current sh*t job for a month after today...its getting tough these days to keep my head up and im not getting any younger...i also have a feeling if this academy doesnt go in before the mayoral election then there will be no january class...the only reason i figured this class was definite was bc it would look good for bloomberg if a class went in a week before elections...but maybe things will change...im going to give CID a call tomorrow and see if theres any new news
    Last edited by SI6019; 09-17-2009 at 09:24 PM.

Forum Member

I never called you anything and for the record I waited through a hiring freeze for over two years, missed being eligible for a Lieutenants test by three weeks and when that test was thrown out because of cheating by a certain fraternal group, was denied the right to take the retest, even though I had the time in at that point.

Bumps in the road.

Forum Member

Double Post
    Last edited by JasonStatham8; 10-07-2010 at 08:44 AM. Reason: !

Forum Member

------------------------
    Last edited by aal2016; 09-17-2009 at 08:54 PM.

Forum Member

Hey aal did you ask around at all about the academy? Anybody have a clue over there?
    Last edited by SI6019; 09-17-2009 at 09:22 PM.

Forum Member

I had talked to cid yesterday and she had said they are still pending approval for the oct class. Was told that if it didn't happen in the next few weeks then there won't be an oct class. So there is still hope of an oct class happening.

Forum Member

Impression i got from the FD guys (lts and captains) over at 9MT was they had also heard a few rumors about whether or not this class was going to happen. But the official line, for what its worth, is that nothing is set in stone yet.

Keep your fingers crossed fellas, i think theres still hope yet.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by aal2016 View Post
    Impression i got from the FD guys (lts and captains) over at 9MT was they had also heard a few rumors about whether or not this class was going to happen. But the official line, for what its worth, is that nothing is set in stone yet.

Keep your fingers crossed fellas, i think theres still hope yet.
    exact words I heard, lets say some novenas

Forum Member

Were you, really? Did they skip your list number because of something minor and you missed the first academy class off your list? Did they then tell you "don't worry its only 6 months?" Did you then, six months later, accept the offer of employment presented to you after completing the run? Did you then, three days later, receive a letter rescinding that offer of employment? Did you then go back and retake your medical because it expired? Where you then told October is a sure thing by pretty much everybody at your medical retake? Did you then read everybody's post today on the forums once again with the news that the class has been postponed once again?

My friend, you and I have gotten into it before. Some was your fault and some was mine. But before you get the violins going for too long, before you complain about what was promised and then taken,and before you give a senior guy the level of spoiled brat crap you just handed calm and fred, ask yourself two questions instead of asking when you'll get yours:

How many of your brothers did you watch die in front of your eyes at the Trade Center? And what about the brothers dying from diseases they developed in the days after?

Think about that before you come on here carrying on about your hiring woes. Show some frigging respect. You ain't got it so bad. You'll get on. Be patient and keep your head where it belongs.

MembersZone Subscriber

I was at the Quartermaster today and they were told to purchase supplies for a January class (the class that was going to be hired in Oct.).

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by carryon0311 View Post
    My friend, you and I have gotten into it before. Some was your fault and some was mine. But before you get the violins going for too long, before you complain about what was promised and then taken,and before you give a senior guy the level of spoiled brat crap you just handed calm and fred, ask yourself two questions instead of asking when you'll get yours:

How many of your brothers did you watch die in front of your eyes at the Trade Center? And what about the brothers dying from diseases they developed in the days after?

Think about that before you come on here carrying on about your hiring woes. Show some frigging respect. You ain't got it so bad. You'll get on. Be patient and keep your head where it belongs.
    Remember what happened last time? I made you look like the retard that you are dude. Why don't you STFU and mind you own. I don't need you telling me about the wtc, like your bitch *** was there. How do you know I wasn't effected by it or know firefighters who were, or have seen friends and family get sick because of all the **** they breathed in down there. How do you know what I've done for my country?

Get off the forum if you don't have anything good to add. You haven't posted **** here in months and this is what you post? I guess pos still fall through the cracks like you, you were in the last class right? Probably slipped in through the backdoor anyway, guess that explains the bitchassness.

Forum Member

15 Lt's reportedly being promoted at the end of this month. Friend of a friend got the word
    I should have cleaned up the chili.....why didn't I clean up the chili!!!!!!

Thread Information