Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 201 of 618 FirstFirst ... 101151191198199200201202203204211251301 ... LastLast
Results 4,001 to 4,020 of 12347
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

Forum Member

Default Fdny

I want to be an FDNY fireman damn it!!

How is it looking for a Jan 2010 class?

Forum Member

I talked to CID last week and was told that the jan class is just a remor and nothing set in stone yet and no idea if there is one of the class size

Forum Member

meant rumor

Quote Originally Posted by LIfire31 View Post
    I talked to CID last week and was told that the jan class is just a remor and nothing set in stone yet and no idea if there is one of the class size
    it's all rumor until the day after the first day. They are probably saying this to cover themselves should it get pushed back.... again.

Budget presentation by the FD to city council which includes the cutting of 16 companies says a class of undetermined size in jan 2010. thats what i'm going with at the moment.
    I should have cleaned up the chili.....why didn't I clean up the chili!!!!!!

Forum Member

Ditto on Tony Avella. He seems like a real stand up guy who might actually, (gasp), care about the middle class. I'll definitely vote for him in the primaries. The problem is that he doesn't have a shot. Even if hell does freeze over. Nobody knows who he is. The money he's raised so far for his campaign is literally not much more than grinchberg has spent on coffee services for his campaign staff. Sadly, it seems like any candidate has a better shot at winning american idol. I don't know, call me jaded.......

Battle Looms Over FDNY Company Closings

PETER N. SPENCER,
    Staten Island Advance

Ratcheting up the rhetoric in the feud over FDNY staffing, members of the City Council said they are "drawing a line in the sand" to stop the mayor from closing fire companies.

The legislators made that message clear several times yesterday during a passionate hearing on the FDNY budget and a rally at City Hall. To break an impasse between Mayor Michael Bloomberg and the firefighters union, the Council will use the power of its vote on the budget.

"I'm here to declare war against firehouse closings," said City Councilman James Vacca (D-Bronx), head of the Council's Fire and Criminal Justice Services Committee, as he stood on the steps of City Hall with dozens of his Council colleagues, residents and firefighters.

Some held up signs that read: "Close Engine 161, Lose Our Vote." The mayor said he would close the South Beach company and 15 others because the Uniformed Firefighters Association will not agree to reduce staff at 64 engine companies from five to four. The administration even went so far as to send official 45-day notice last weekend to three companies - including Engine 161 - telling them they will be shuttered permanently by July 1. The FDNY plans to shutter another 12 by May 2010.

UFA President Steve Cassidy won't budge on the staffing levels, calling it a risk to public safety. Staten Island's three councilmen said they oppose a reduction in engine company staffing for the same reason.

Cassidy suggested the FDNY instead cut some of its borough commanders or battalion chiefs, or look to reduce some of its contractors.

"Firefighters save lives, not New York City fire chiefs. If there have to be cuts in the Fire Department, it should start with those who are not saving lives every single day," Cassidy said at the rally.

Asked about Cassidy's suggestion during the hearing, FDNY Commissioner Nicholas Scoppetta pointed out that 134 of the department's engine companies already are staffed with four firefighters - yet the department's response times are the lowest they have been since 1994.

"I find it astonishing. Just go down to four and we avoid these closings. Let's not go anywhere near what the UFA wants, right? They want that overtime for the 64 firefighters," Scoppetta said.

The administration projects the cuts would save about $17 million through attrition and overtime savings through fiscal year 2010, which starts in July.

Minority Leader James Oddo (R-Mid-Island/Brooklyn) questioned that figure, citing the FDNY estimate that $4.5 million in savings would be realized this year by the overnight closing, starting in January, of Engine 161 and three other fire companies. Scoppetta admitted the FDNY has saved no money so far, because attrition in the department has been cut in half since the economic recession.

"This kind of analysis is a little bit iffy," Scoppetta said.

Oddo implied that the threat of closings is less about dollars and cents than it is about getting the firefighters union to capitulate to the administration's demands.

"You guys want to reach an end, and in the process you are threatening and holding over my community the fear of losing fire services," Oddo said.

South Shore Republican Vincent Ignizio echoed those sentiments.

"I think this body is being used as a collective bargaining agent for the administration, and we in the Council need to say that won't be tolerated today, tomorrow or ever," he said.

Bloomberg is not given to idle threats. He closed six firehouses in 2003, a year after he made a similar proposal to reduce staffing at 53 engine companies. In that case, however, he had years to regain his popularity before he faced the voters. This time, he'll have about five months.

Oddo advised his constituents to keep that in mind.

"I don't know many things, but I do know politics, and I know we have an election in November. So to the people in New York, here's your covenant: You have to say to all candidates, 'Don't come a-knockin' on my door in October and November if you plan to shutter the doors of my engine company,'" he said.

MembersZone Subscriber

I was originally ranking number 950 on the eligible list but had some things going on and I couldnt make my background investigation so the candidate investigation division said that they were taking my name off of the eligible list but I think that they said I could get it reinstated does anybody know if this is true. Also I have moved and no longer reside in NYC so I know I will lose my 5 residency points so does anybody have any idea around what list number I can expect to have once they subtract away my 5 points which will bring my score down to 95.4750?

Thanks

Good thing's happening

Quote Originally Posted by arowett View Post
    I was originally ranking number 950 on the eligible list but had some things going on and I couldnt make my background investigation so the candidate investigation division said that they were taking my name off of the eligible list but I think that they said I could get it reinstated does anybody know if this is true. Also I have moved and no longer reside in NYC so I know I will lose my 5 residency points so does anybody have any idea around what list number I can expect to have once they subtract away my 5 points which will bring my score down to 95.4750?

Thanks

this might help...

http://www.thechief-leader.com/news/.../Exam/040.html

Forum Member

Also I have moved and no longer reside in NYC so I know I will lose my 5 residency points...
    Thanks
    Assuming you get back on the list, you wouldnt lose your residency points. For those, you only needed to live within city limits from March 07 to March 08. Now youd just need to be within the 5 boroughs or surrounding counties.

MembersZone Subscriber

I thought you only had to live in the 5 boroughs or surrounding counties upon appointment. I live in Alabama now because when the lawsuit started and everything was up in the air I started taking tests for other career depts. in case 6019 got thrown out. I got hired on down here but would still like to come back up to NY where my family is and where I always wanted to be. I can no longer prove residency in NY for the time I lived there though because I was living with a family friend so I dont have the bills or lease contract the city requires you to produce during your background investigation.

Forum Member

I thought you only had to live in the 5 boroughs or surrounding counties upon appointment. I live in Alabama now because when the lawsuit started and everything was up in the air I started taking tests for other career depts. in case 6019 got thrown out. I got hired on down here but would still like to come back up to NY where my family is and where I always wanted to be. I can no longer prove residency in NY for the time I lived there though because I was living with a family friend so I dont have the bills or lease contract the city requires you to produce during your background investigation.
    You only have to live in our around NYC upon hiring, however if you want the 5 residency points you have to prove your residency during the time period stated.

MembersZone Subscriber

Just so you guys are aware during the recent city council testimony? They lowered the expected attrition rate to relflect that guys with over 20 are not retiring as they had in recent years. I think they are expecting half of what was the normal rate...I think that is a loss of 300 men a year.

I know it isn't what you want to hear...but it is what is happening.

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

And it looks like they're still planning on having another test in 2011, with recruitment starting in january 2010. Refer to pages 13 and 14.....

http://www.nyc.gov/html/fdny/pdf/pub...10%20Final.pdf
    Last edited by roadrunner09; 05-18-2009 at 12:49 PM.

Forum Member

So I guess the life of 6019 won't be extended due to the "hiring freeze".

Last year about this time I was so excited about being processed for the Jan 2009 class, but now, a year later I've lost faith that I will get hired by the FDNY with a list number of 183X. I've put A LOT of things on hold due to hoping I will get hired, and now I'm at crossroads on what to do. Wait it out or continue with other things.

Sorry for the vent, been going absolutely crazy thinking about this every day. Just wondering if anyone else is in the same situation, having to decide to move on or continue hoping.

I always thought 6019 gave them the numbers that they wanted. Why would they spend even more money on recruitment to hold another test when 6019 has the numbers that they wanted?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 6fthook View Post
    I always thought 6019 gave them the numbers that they wanted. Why would they spend even more money on recruitment to hold another test when 6019 has the numbers that they wanted?

I guess they didn't get a big enough response from the transgender (LGBT) community. (page 13 on the bottom).....

Forum Member

Default Fdny

List # 186X..completed and passed all steps in the hiring process as of Nov 2008

Even if they give another exam in Jan 2011....if they go according to the current 6019 exam they won't hire from that exam until July 2012.

We still have potential of:

Jan 2010 class
    July 2010 class
    Jan 2011 class
    July 2011 class
    Jan 2012 class
    Last edited by QCFRANKC; 05-18-2009 at 04:21 PM. Reason: needed to add

Don't forget guys, there are good things happening here too. The economy is stabilizing, council is fighting the cuts, guys still are retiring, citizens are slowly but surely becoming aware of whats happening....

Forum Member

don't get too down 6fthook... remember that even if they put out another exam early in 2011 it will still take them at least a year and half for them to put the first class through off that last. we still have a 3-4 year window that we might get hired so don't lose hope.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    I guess they didn't get a big enough response from the transgender (LGBT) community. (page 13 on the bottom).....
    HOLY **** I can't believe what politics and "diversity" has come to. I am a type of "diverse person", but I don't want that to have ANY factor into me getting hired. I couldn't give a **** about if I'm purple, red, yellow, blue, asexual, bisexual, trisexual, quadsexual, whatever. If someone really wants this job badly, they will jump through hoops to get it, and obviously many of us have. But now they're holding peoples' hands to try to get them to take the test. Absolutely ridiculous.

Again, sorry for the rant. Just pretty annoyed.

Hopefully we will all get into the next class, and we can all meet up after graduation and have some beers and laugh about what we type here now.

Forum Member

Default Fdny

Fdny 4 Life

Thread Information