Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyHollow View Post
    check out money.cnn.com.

Federal government says that the economy is getting better. For as much as we all have negative feelings toward bloomberg, scopetta, and the city, the economy is the root of all our problems, and those problems will not be solved until the economy gets better.

Things are (so far) falling into line with the economists predictions that the GDP will return to growth this quarter.

That's definately good news, economic and stock market growth is great...Right now I'm more worried about unemployment, which is still high and is not expected to get any better despite the positive growth. NYC is at 10.3% unemployment, which means less revenue through income taxes(no clue what the actuall $$ loss of revenue this translates to)---I think this is going to be a bigger issue than whether we have positive GDP growth. I work in banking right now (can't wait to get out) so I'm hoping the news we have been hearing, at least on the economic front, continues to improve.

Forum Member

Default Runoff Election

Hey guys,

This coming Tuesday, September 29th is a run-off primary election. (Used when a primary election race is too close to declare a victor by a majority).

Let's get out there and get our men in office!

City Comptroller, the UFA endorses queens couniclman John Liu:

Steve Cassidy, UFA President said, “John Liu has demonstrated his leadership as a member of the City Council, supporting firefighter and public safety issues and has a background in finance as an actuary. He fought to halt the efforts in 2003 and 2009 to close our community firehouses and reduce fire company staffing to unsafe levels. John Liu fully understands that while budgetary priorities must be made in the city, public safety must be at the forefront.”

http://www.liunewyork.com/splash

Also Bill de Blasio has been endorsed by the UFA, councilman de Blasio was my councilman when I lived in Brooklyn, and is very passionate about keeping ALL FDNY firehouses fully staffed with rigs and men.

DE BLASIO: The number one thing was to stop the firehouse closures we were on the verge of seeing 16 firehouses cutback it would have been unacceptable for our city, it would have endangered a lot of our residents.

http://www.billdeblasio.com/

Find your polling place:
    http://gis.nyc.gov/vote/ps/index.htm

Get out there and vote guys!!!!! call your family and friends and get out and vote!!!!!
    I should have cleaned up the chili.....why didn't I clean up the chili!!!!!!

Forum Member

Unfortunately I am not registered to any major party, so I cannot vote in democratic primaries. Otherwise I would've voted for Tony Avella for mayor as well. Not that it would have done a thing....

Forum Member

wrong topic..... typing while talking on the phone no good haha
    Last edited by formerbuckeye; 09-25-2009 at 09:24 PM.

Forum Member

Good luck to you guys that are heading out to the Tunnel to Towers run tomorrow. Some of us, as well as thousands of other brothers, will be out there tomorrow. It's an experience you won't forget, even if you're don't quite have access to the whole picture.

See you out there.
    Just a peon proby in the greatest job in the world; grinning ear to ear.

Forum Member

So I just got back from Oyster Fest at the South Street Seaport with a bunch of friends on the job.

A few of them "are somebody" and say that there is a new rumor every day about whats going on with hiring and nobody but the mayor, chief and commissioner really know what's going on, and they aren't talkin' (at least not to us).

Most of said rumors are pretty freaking negative, so I'm not going to post them here and now, if you want them, shoot me a pm and I'll tell you.

I hear lots o guinness makes for a good 5k see you in the am

Forum Member

I just wanted to let you guys know that I recieved a letter from the FDNY yesterday notifying me about upcoming tutorial sessions for the CPAT. The information session is Thursday, October 15th. The letter said the program is scheduled to start Oct 19th. The letter also states DCAS will be contacting us regarding the mandatory sessions. My list number is under 100 and the only reason I haven't taken the CPAT yet is because I was overseas at the time. This is definately good news, I don't see why the city would waste money holding a CPAT if they don't plan to hire in the near future. Please let me know what you think. I'm planning on attending all of the sessions. Are they helpful? Thank you for your time, it is greatly appreciated.

Forum Member

Sounds like decent news^^^^...........

Great run today by the way. A little wet, and the new location with the 180 degree turn at the start slowed down my time a good amount, but nonetheless it was just amazing.....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fdnyjan09 View Post
    I hear you, it's creeping up fast! Just passed my physical so one less thing to worry about, have to just keep running and keep in the gym it will be here before we know it.

Anyone got anything on the medical yet?
    So got a question for you. I know you take the written and the better you score the higher you are ranked on the list. Then they call you for the other stuff based on your number. So do you only have to PASS the physical? Does the actual time you get on the Physical/CPAT change anything?

Thank you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SPFD17 View Post
    So got a question for you. I know you take the written and the better you score the higher you are ranked on the list. Then they call you for the other stuff based on your number. So do you only have to PASS the physical? Does the actual time you get on the Physical/CPAT change anything?

Thank you.
    You have to COMPLETE all the events in a certain time. I believe it is 10:21 if I remember correct. Search CPAT on your browser there are many sites that will tell you what you have to do and how long you have to do it in. It is a pass/fail test so it doesn't matter if you set a land speed record or make it with a second to spare. I can tell you that IT DOES NOT come anywhere close to what's going to be asked of you at the Rock so don't think passing the CPAT means you're in good enough shape for proby school. Good luck.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by carryon0311 View Post
    You have to COMPLETE all the events in a certain time. I believe it is 10:21 if I remember correct. Search CPAT on your browser there are many sites that will tell you what you have to do and how long you have to do it in. It is a pass/fail test so it doesn't matter if you set a land speed record or make it with a second to spare. I can tell you that IT DOES NOT come anywhere close to what's going to be asked of you at the Rock so don't think passing the CPAT means you're in good enough shape for proby school. Good luck.
    Thank you very much for your help and insight! So is the CPAT a Pass/Fail test for every department that uses it? Or is it a possibility that some departments use your time to rank you on a list?

MembersZone Subscriber

Actually 10:20
    3:20 of it is on the stepmill machine.

The official CPAT is a licensed physical agility test that was developed and endorsed by the IAFF and IAFC.

I think that sometimes it gets confused with other physical agilities tests by name and mistakenly gets interchanged when referred to. While it is technically considered PASS/FAIL, I have heard of one department in the past that had kept track of the finishing time when candidates came for interviews. They are not supposed to weight the finishing time though.

But overall, no. We do not.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    Actually 10:20
    3:20 of it is on the stepmill machine.

The official CPAT is a licensed physical agility test that was developed and endorsed by the IAFF and IAFC.

I think that sometimes it gets confused with other physical agilities tests by name and mistakenly gets interchanged when referred to. While it is technically considered PASS/FAIL, I have heard of one department in the past that had kept track of the finishing time when candidates came for interviews. They are not supposed to weight the finishing time though.

But overall, no. We do not.
    Ok thank you for the information. And like the guy above me mentioned, just because I passed the CPAT for FDNY does not by any means I am prepared physically for The Rock. So I got to train, train, train, and train some more.
    Thank you both for the advice. Good luck if you are in the process, hope to be in your shoes someday very soon.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SPFD17 View Post
    Ok thank you for the information. And like the guy above me mentioned, just because I passed the CPAT for FDNY does not by any means I am prepared physically for The Rock. So I got to train, train, train, and train some more.
    Thank you both for the advice. Good luck if you are in the process, hope to be in your shoes someday very soon.
    No problem. As far as physical training at the Rock it's alot of low weight high rep exercise using 10 lb dumbells usually followed by a run of varying distance. Don't let the 10 lb thing fool you; the PT guys are masters of making you look weak with them. One day a week is FST which is pure brutality. Keep training hard and you'll be fine.

Forum Member

Default didnt recieve packet

My list number is in the 1xxx's and I think they reached it already but I didnt recieve my packet. I moved last year but I gave FDNY my new address. If they did send me one but I didnt recieve it for whatever reason can I call up to have them resend me one and get reinstated on the list?

Thanks
    Last edited by nightowl75; 09-30-2009 at 03:21 PM.

Forum Member

A buddy of mine in the 1600's who originally had bowed out of the process just called me and said that the city called him up and invited him to take the cpat.

weird

P.S. I ran into some London firemen on the subway yesterday on the way to the run, and they said that they are going through some pension bs...... they just increased the length of service from 30 to 40 years......
    Last edited by SleepyHollow; 09-28-2009 at 04:29 PM.

Forum Member

Double Post
    Last edited by JasonStatham8; 10-07-2010 at 07:43 AM. Reason: !

Forum Member

cpat are for the lengh of the list ...who ever took the cpat already for 6019 does not have to take it again for this list

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyHollow View Post
    A buddy of mine in the 1600's who originally had bowed out of the process just called me and said that the city called him up and invited him to take the cpat.

weird

P.S. I ran into some London firemen on the subway yesterday on the way to the run, and they said that they are going through some pension bs...... they just increased the length of service from 30 to 40 years......

They called him by phone? I received a packet in the mail about the training sessions starting Oct 19 at the rock. Actually called HQ today and signed up for the classes. Hopefully this is a step in the right direction and towards a Feb. Class. Hit the pavement and stay on top of your game. See everyone down at the rock.

Forum Member

Double Post
    Last edited by JasonStatham8; 10-07-2010 at 07:43 AM. Reason: !

Forum Member

Default fdny

Quote Originally Posted by CJM0505 View Post
    They called him by phone? I received a packet in the mail about the training sessions starting Oct 19 at the rock. Actually called HQ today and signed up for the classes. Hopefully this is a step in the right direction and towards a Feb. Class. Hit the pavement and stay on top of your game. See everyone down at the rock.

around what list # are you?
    just want to see uptp what list #'s they sent info for the CPAT courses so I can let my friend know. Thanks

Forum Member

City Will Use Federal Funds to Hire Police Officers
    by Bob Hennelly
    NEW YORK, NY September 28, 2009 —Mayor Bloomberg says that $36 million dollars in Federal aid earmarked by the Department of Homeland Security for securing the City's transit system will go to hire 100 new NYPD police officers.

The new recruits will enter the Police Academy in January. The city's ongoing budget crunch had forced the cancellation of the entire January class. There are currently just 35,000 officers on the force, down from 41,000 in 2001.

Forum Member

Bumped into a captain i know that works at metrotech while walking my dog today and he told me that unless bloomberg wants to put in a class before elections and "finds" money (which he often does when he wants to) to do so then there will not be a october class....anyone on here good friends with bloomberg and have his personal cell phone number?? I want to get to the bottom of this lol....but being serious does anyone know if you are allowed to wear a knee brace while in the academy?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Brace

It depends on what type of knee brace.
    In our class their were a few guys who wore those neoprene braces but no one wore any substantial type of brace. If you have to wear one you better have a good reason because they will ask you about it and grill you about it. Do not forget that you had to pass the Medical and they ask you all those questions about joints and sh*t.
    If its a substantial brace the Dr. better know about the condition.
    If you did a dont ask dont tell type thing you better find a way to run with out it (if its a substantial brace). Like I said if its just a neoprene one no big deal.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with the poor timid spirits, who know neither victory nor defeat." FDR

Forum Member

Its just a MCDavid rubber like sleeve that goes over the knee...just to keep the knee tight and warm

Thread Information