Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by I3akdraf View Post
    Man, I hate to hear about LODD, my condolences. On another sour note I spoke to my neighbor today, whose a recently retired Lt., they said Oct class ain't happening, the new date in the works is early feb. with about 100-150 candidates still expected.
    no good all around
    I should have cleaned up the chili.....why didn't I clean up the chili!!!!!!

Forum Member

Angry

Firehouses Still an Issue
    NY Times - October 03, 2009

Coming soon to a firehouse near you: Mr. Thompson.

The comptroller has been attacking Mr. Bloomberg for closing numerous firehouses during his two terms in office.
    Of course, to be technical about it, the final call on the closures was made by Nicholas Scoppetta, the fire commissioner, in the name of financial necessity and efficiency. Still, there are few issues that can enrage a neighborhood more than the loss of their local firefighters.

So Mr. Thompson has been showing up lately in more locations that are next to, or not far from, firehouses that were closed or considered for closure. And he is surrounding himself with firefighters from the Uniformed Firefighters Association, which has endorsed him.

He dropped by Engine Company 161 on Staten Island on Sunday, and used the firehouse issue as a way to drive home his message attacking the mayor as being deaf to middle- and working-class concerns. Several firefighters were on hand, wearing "NYC Firefighters for Thompson" T-shirts. Some also clutched "No Bloomberg!" bumper stickers.

On Wednesday, Mr. Thompson campaigned in Sunnyside, Queens, with City Councilman Eric N. Gioia, and noted that Engine Company 261, less than a mile away, had been closed by the mayor. It was a different group of firefighters, but with the same shirts and the same message.

"If Mike Bloomberg wins, there will be other firehouses that will close in the city of New York," Mr. Thompson. "So again, New York's Bravest - it's good to see you, good to have your support."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    Firehouses Still an Issue
    NY Times - October 03, 2009

Coming soon to a firehouse near you: Mr. Thompson.

The comptroller has been attacking Mr. Bloomberg for closing numerous firehouses during his two terms in office.
    Of course, to be technical about it, the final call on the closures was made by Nicholas Scoppetta, the fire commissioner, in the name of financial necessity and efficiency. Still, there are few issues that can enrage a neighborhood more than the loss of their local firefighters.

So Mr. Thompson has been showing up lately in more locations that are next to, or not far from, firehouses that were closed or considered for closure. And he is surrounding himself with firefighters from the Uniformed Firefighters Association, which has endorsed him.

He dropped by Engine Company 161 on Staten Island on Sunday, and used the firehouse issue as a way to drive home his message attacking the mayor as being deaf to middle- and working-class concerns. Several firefighters were on hand, wearing "NYC Firefighters for Thompson" T-shirts. Some also clutched "No Bloomberg!" bumper stickers.

On Wednesday, Mr. Thompson campaigned in Sunnyside, Queens, with City Councilman Eric N. Gioia, and noted that Engine Company 261, less than a mile away, had been closed by the mayor. It was a different group of firefighters, but with the same shirts and the same message.

"If Mike Bloomberg wins, there will be other firehouses that will close in the city of New York," Mr. Thompson. "So again, New York's Bravest - it's good to see you, good to have your support."
    If this doesn't say it all I don't know what does.... We got our men in the comptroller position and public advocate position (tentatively) now we just have to get our man in the mayors office and all will hopefully be well! Get out and vote guys!!!!

ps. roadrunner, i cant find that article on the times website, can you post a link by chance???
    Last edited by SleepyHollow; 10-04-2009 at 05:07 PM.

Forum Member

In case you haven't found it yet sleepy, here is the link I found it at. It is the through the union's site. That is where I find pretty much any article related to the dept. This thread and that site are basically the freakin wallpaper on my comp. It is very strange that the article is not up on the times' website. Quite possibly very 'conveniently' taken down.....

http://www.ufanyc.org/cms/contents/view/7121

Forum Member

Default Fdny

looks like they aren't going to get out of the 1000's for this exam. I am definitely going to have to register for the test again in summer/fall of 2010

Forum Member

You got that right. My absolute last chance. Granted they give it.....

Forum Member

I wouldnt give up on 6019 yet..nothings set in stone yet...the firehouse closures can always be blocked especially if we make a fuss about it and dont just sit back and watch them close...protests and petitions can go a long way...things change daily..the october class is not officially cancelled nor is the january/february class...if you dont get your number reached by the time the registration for the next test then be the first to sign up for it...until then ive taken every city test i can and just been hoping for the best

question about residency points for the test. i figured one of you guys who took the last test might have the answer. i know to get the five extra points on the written, you need to have new york city residency for at least one year. is that one year before the filing period for the test, or one year before the date of the written test itself? basically, when does that minimum 365 days of residency need to be done by in order to be given the 5 extra points? also, what documents does the fdny need to see as proof of city residency? (drivers license? bank records? utility bills? etc). Im in the process of moving so i just wanted to know for sure.

Forum Member

October 5, 2009
    The New York City Fire Department to Fight Fire with a Firewall
    The FDNY may use geographic information system software to relocate firehouses to meet changing population patterns
    By Larry Greenemeier

SMART RESPONSE The FDNY is launching a data warehouse that it hopes will give firefighters access to the layout of burning buildings and other critical information before they arrive at the scene of a blaze
    © JAMES STEIDL, COURTESY OF ISTOCKPHOTO.COM

The introduction of new technology into the New York City Fire Department (FDNY) hasn't always been easy. "We didn't even have fax machines until the late '90s," department Chief Salvatore Cassano said during a forum held in the city Friday to highlight ways in which public safety agencies are turning to information technology (IT) to better manage demographic and other data as urban populations grow and departmental budgets shrink. "You can't manage what you don't measure," he added, "and we weren't measuring things well."

Help, if not money, is on the way as the FDNY prepares to roll out its new Coordinated Building Inspection and Data Analysis System (CBIDAS) in early December. Initially, only six of the city's 350 firefighting companies will have access to a "data warehouse," a group of interconnected databases designed to establish one centralized depot of fire-inspection information that will eventually be available to the whole fire department as well as to the New York Police Department (NYPD) and other city agencies. Also expected for the warehouse are Web-based portals for accessing reports a number of ways, including via mobile devices.

The four-year, $25-million CBIDAS project with IBM was initiated after the August 2007 fire at the former Deutsche Bank building in New York City, where two firefighters died. Investigators attributed the loss of life to a lack of timely information available to responding firefighters. This prompted the department to find a better way to track firefighters when they are working in any of the city's roughly 950,000 buildings, Cassano said. If the December pilot program is successful, CBIDAS access will be expanded throughout the FDNY's companies.

CBIDAS is also expected to help fire company officers prioritize inspections based on database information. Each fire company is allotted nine hours per week to inspect buildings in their respective districts, "so we need to get the most out of our inspectional[sic] time," Cassano said. Inspections are critical to firefighting, he added, because the information gathered during inspections alerts firefighters to a building's layout before they get to the scene of an emergency. "Firefighters do building inspection so the first time they're in a building is not when they're fighting a fire," he added.

Another FDNY IT project under development is designed to help the department determine whether it should relocate, and possibly consolidate, city firehouses to better accommodate New York's shifting population. In 2005 the department hired San Diego–based Deccan International, a maker of computer-aided dispatch software, to develop and implement a "siting and deployment" program (pdf) based on a geographic information system (GIS). Cassano expects there to be a lot of community resistance in neighborhoods where firehouses may be closed, as there was when the city shut down six stations in 2004, but he insists that such measures are necessary as the department copes with the city's growing population amidst budget cuts. This project is to come online within the "next few months," the fire chief said.

Great firehouse closures on the horizon, there was a 2nd alarm on city island last night, where last year they had shut the ladder company at night andwere planning on disbanding the ladder co permanently
    http://wcbstv.com/topstories/city.is...2.1227761.html
    Last edited by Queens6019; 10-05-2009 at 02:50 PM.

Forum Member

Heard that the city is/was waiting on federal $$ for the october class, which the chances of happening now looks slimmer everyday . This would make sense since the next class of 100 NYPD cadets and 90 EMTS is being funded by federal money.

Forum Member

Double Post
    Last edited by JasonStatham8; 10-07-2010 at 08:43 AM. Reason: !

Forum Member

hey does anybody know the maximum amount of running thats done during proby school as far as daily mileage goes? i'd like to know what to work towards, thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JasonStatham8 View Post
    Since there has not been a class for over a year does that mean 6019 can be extended over the four year limit for an extra year where there was no hiring?

Yes it can, it's been done in the past.

Forum Member

Wink

Since there has not been a class for over a year does that mean 6019 can be extended over the four year limit for an extra year where there was no hiring?

After the CPAT training run-through at The Rock we did a circuit (pull the hose through the conveyor wheels, squat thrusts, 3 point curls, dragged the dummy, grippers, hammer the tire, curls, push-ups). Is this what we can expect for PT at The Rock just more sets and reps of these circuits along with running?

18XX
    hey jason when did u go to the rock today?.and what is the buzz down there ? who is down there?

Forum Member

Double Post
    Last edited by JasonStatham8; 10-07-2010 at 08:43 AM. Reason: !

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by johhnyboy View Post
    hey does anybody know the maximum amount of running thats done during proby school as far as daily mileage goes? i'd like to know what to work towards, thanks
    PT guys said up to 5 miles for 18 week class, I know they got up to 8 miles for the 23 week class

Quote Originally Posted by LongQuest View Post
    hey jason when did u go to the rock today?.and what is the buzz down there ? who is down there?
    The federal $$ thing was the rumor around the rock last week, i believe
    Last edited by Queens6019; 10-05-2009 at 09:13 PM.

Forum Member

Theres federal stimulus money set aside for fdny hiring?? How much?

Forum Member

Stimulus Funds To Be Used to Train 90 New EMTs
    By ARI PAUL

PATRICK BAHNKEN: Doesn’t address larger problem. The Fire Department Sept. 29 announced that it will use more than three quarters of a million dollars of Federal stimulus money to fund training for 90 new Emergency Medical Technicians.

“This funding accomplishes several important things: helping us train new first-responders who can assist New Yorkers in medical emergencies while at the same time helping the department financially during these difficult economic times,” Fire Commissioner Nicholas Scoppetta said of the $786,000 program in a statement.

Union: More Needs to Be Done

Patrick J. Bahnken, who as president of Local 2507 of District Council 37 represents EMTs and Paramedics, said that the new EMTs would be an improvement for the Emergency Medical Service, but added that more institutional changes are needed in order to address staffing.

“The Emergency Medical Service is traditionally short staff; we run 100 percent of our ambulances on an 80- percent staffing level,” he said in a phone interview. “Any move to staff us up is certainly welcome. However, until this department stops treating the Emergency Medical Service as a transient workforce and addresses the fact that we have one of the highest attrition rates in the city, we will always be playing catch-up on staffing.”

Mr. Bahnken and DC 37 Local 3621 President Vincent Variale, who represents EMS officers, have claimed that the pay scale at EMS is not enticing enough for talented EMTs and Paramedics to seek promotion to the officer corps, and that many people use the agency as a training ground for other uniformed jobs.

The FDNY has said in response to union criticism that a pilot program allowing EMS responders to work 12- hour tours in exchange for fewer shifts in a month was a step forward in raising morale.

“This is a profession,” Mr. Bahnken said. “It is not a revolving door or holding pattern for people to become Firefighters, Police Officers or even Sanitation Workers.”

Federal Funding Will Allow City to Hire 100 Cops in January
    By TOMMY HALLISSEY
    Mayor Bloomberg and Police Commissioner Raymond W. Kelly Sept. 27 announced that Federal funds will pay for a Police Academy class in January of more than 100 cops after budgetary constraints had forced its cancellation earlier this year.

“The NYPD has built a tremendous counter-terrorism capacity, almost all of it on the city’s dime,” Mr. Kelly said. “Federal support for officers to be assigned to the subways is welcome, indeed. But the Federal Government’s responsibility doesn’t end there. It must fully support the plan—as originally envisioned—to stop terrorists from smuggling a nuclear device or dirty bomb into New York City.”

Shifting Vets to Subways

The $36-million stimulus grant from the Transit Security Grant Program will help bolster the protection of the subways in the event of another terrorist attack. These officers will replace more veteran officers who will be dedicated to patrolling the subway system.

“We know that New York is still a target for terrorists and we aren’t going to let our guard down,” said Mr. Bloomberg regarding the grant that was first announced in July. “We’ve come together today to announce a new Police Academy class that will protect our subways, and to challenge Congress to restore funding for a key part of our defense—the Securing the Cities initiative.”

The city is the first site for the Securing the Cities program, which creates a multi-layered ring of sensors throughout the tri-state area. Sensors at highways, toll plazas, bridges, tunnels and waterways can detect radioactive and nuclear material before it enters the city. Detection devices have been placed at major entry points into the city and distributed to law-enforcement partners in New York, New Jersey and Connecticut.

The city says additional funding is needed to purchase more sensors, link the equipment and conduct training exercises.

“Very simply, the New York City region is the number one terrorist target,” said U.S. Rep. Peter King. “To shortchange funding for this critical program, which will help protect this area from a terrorist attack carried out by a radiological or nuclear weapon, is the height of irresponsibility.”

Forum Member

Default Fdny

LongQuest, sorry for the mix-up, but I was talking about when I took the CPAT training last year. I'm not doing the CPAT training this month with the new candidates.

Why are they doing CPAt training if they dont plan on hiring>? doesnt make sense. what list # range are you? just wanted to see around what # they called for the CPAT prep courses they are currently giving

Forum Member

Double Post
    Last edited by JasonStatham8; 10-07-2010 at 08:42 AM. Reason: !

Forum Member

If I had to GUESS, the CPAT training are for people back home from the military and/or people that will be turning 21 next year that will now be eligible.
    negative.... a buddy of mine got called and he is neither of these

Forum Member

Default Speculation Timeline

ok guys, if there is one thing that this process has shown us it is that NOTHING is certain, and things change at least monthly.

I personally hate wafting through life without purpose, and I take comfort in logic, so i worked this out one night as a diagram, which i cannot figure out how to put in here, so i will post it as a timeline.

This is based on the RUMOR that bloomberg wants to/will be able to close 16 companies in January 2010. Hopefully that will not happen, either via the mayoral election or the fact that we have some supporters in the city government. Also this depends on the attrition rate staying at 3% and not going any higher, which it may as guys recoup their lost investments in their deferred compensation plans.

So here it goes, if you don't like it don't read it. and if you think I need a life you are probbably right

Timeline:

July 2008, FY09
    (220 hired off 6019)

Jan 2009

July 2009, FY10

Jan 2010
    (16 Closures, 400 men, approx. 1 year attrition)

July 2010, FY 11

Jan 2011- at this point normal hiring should resume given the attrition rate. Hiring may be about 4-6 months before this so headcount remains even come jan 2011

July 2011, FY 12

Jan 2012

July 2012-6019 ends.

Forum Member

Things arent adding up here...why would up to 16 firehouses be closing in january if the fiscal year 2010 budget is set until the end of june 2010...there no talk of budget cuts so why would they trim firehouses??? And why in the hell are they starting up cpats again if theres no hiring in the future...im lost

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SI6019 View Post
    Things arent adding up here...why would up to 16 firehouses be closing in january if the fiscal year 2010 budget is set until the end of june 2010...there no talk of budget cuts so why would they trim firehouses??? And why in the hell are they starting up cpats again if theres no hiring in the future...im lost
    I'm with you dude. The 16 firehouses thing is a rumor that I've heard from friends who are on the job.

As far as the FY 2010 budget being set you are right, but money can be moved around ( look at class 01-09) and things can change.

Also if you look on the city OMB website, the reduction in headcount that was slated to hit this year with the 16 company closures is now slated for next year.

If they wait to close the companies they will have to hire in jan to keep the headcount even, then immediately turn around and start closing companies- wouldnt look good.

Believe me I hope I'm wrong about all this and we all get hired asap!!!!!

Forum Member

Default question

hey guys i have a question...that fire yesterday in city island, that firehouse was going to close right? the first one on the scene......

if so thats crazy!

Thread Information