Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 618 FirstFirst ... 13202122232425263373123523 ... LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

Forum Member

Does anyone know if you have 14 college credits will they let that slide and or do you have to provide them with paychecks showing that you worked six months full time or do they look into that for you?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hopefully09 View Post
    I heard 60% are failing the medical
    I heard that number but it was 60% of the promo's failed the medical. Hard to say on the open list there have only been 6 medical sessions.
    6019 #47x

Forum Member

i was wondering how deep do you think list 6019 will go.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by aal2016 View Post
    Im sorry for bringing up an old topic fellas, but I've been VERY dilligent about staying on top of all the details of this process (as have all of you), and i never saw an "uncorrected vision requirement" of 20/40 listed on the exam notice.

I even remember asking at least three people at recruitment and at the written test preps about it, and they seemed to think glasses were okay (if not ideal for the job, obviously).

Im obviously interested in getting lasik, but not in the rushed circumstances that it would take considering my medical is probably a month or two away.

Are you guys certain about this requirement? Where did you all see it?

Thanks all,
    Drew
    I just got my medical letter today and they said do not wear your contacts, but if you do bring a case to take them out-they won't let you do the eye portion with corrective lenses. I don't know what it takes to pass the vision test though, I haven't seen it officially written anywhere. I think their point is imagine putting on a mask over glasses or having smoke bother your contacts-they don't want it to be a factor.

Forum Member

Red when is your medical and about what list number are you

Forum Member

i have my psych tomarrow morning , anyone else? Any one hear what numbers will make it in the first class??

Forum Member

if your contacts are melting then your eyes and airway are melting. and you have got bigger problems than having to call up and get a refill on your contacts

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by hopefully09 View Post
    I meant in a fire, just what I heard...
    Odds are if your contacts are burning, thats the least of your concerns. You're probably going to be in a world of hurt.

Forum Member

Thumbs down

Just went in with a group of 16 for the medical. Only three passed everything and came out qualified. At least one didnt even finish the stairs. The guy there said out of a group our size, that on average, "maybe 5 or 6 would pass."

Ouch.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by matty21 View Post
    Red when is your medical and about what list number are you
    My medical is next Wed. (3/19), and I'm in the mid-300s.

Forum Member

Has anyone here failed the medical yet? Just curious to what they told you.

Forum Member

For anyone that took the medical, you go on the stepmill for 3 minutes no vest, then they give you a break 5 minutes(you relax have a cup of water), then you go back on the stepmill with the 50 pound vest on for another 5 minutes and your heartrate cannot exceed (220-age x .9)???? And all of this is done at 59 steps per minute????

Then if you fail the heart rate you come back in 30 days to try again?? Then if you fail that you have to get some expensive special heart test done??? anyone know what that test is called??

Also, anyone fail because they didnt meet the height and weight requirements?

Thanks

Forum Member

about what are the height/weight requirements
    Last edited by matty21; 03-14-2008 at 12:18 PM.

Forum Member

The height and weight is 20% more than the metropolitan life insurance companys height and weight chart http://www.halls.md/ideal-weight/met.htm

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Queens6019 View Post
    For anyone that took the medical, you go on the stepmill for 3 minutes no vest, then they give you a break 5 minutes(you relax have a cup of water), then you go back on the stepmill with the 50 pound vest on for another 5 minutes and your heartrate cannot exceed (220-age x .9)???? And all of this is done at 59 steps per minute????
    Thats it. If youre prepared, you wont break a sweat.

Then if you fail the heart rate you come back in 30 days to try again?? Then if you fail that you have to get some expensive special heart test done??? anyone know what that test is called??
    I think its just a standard stress test. If it comes to this, you also have to come back to BHS, put the vest on, and get on the stairs for like 8 minutes without looking over-exerted.

Also, anyone fail because they didnt meet the height and weight requirements?

Thanks
    Everyone Ive seen that was overweight also failed the stairs. I guess its possible for someone to be turned away just for being too fat, but usually it comes along with something else qualitative.

Forum Member

how strict are they with the heart rate....im 22 yrs old so my peak hr should be 178.2 according to the above mentioned formula...if i go slightly over that am i disqualified....or is it a decent amount over that number...just wondering?

Forum Member

i hear everyone talking about the medical...is that all that is required of you on that day is to do the stepmill and keep your heart rate down or is there other tasks that you will have to do and pass..i guess my question is what is that day like?? and how long were you there for?

Forum Member

Just curious how many forms of residency proof do they ask from you?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default medical

The test you have to get done is a cardio stress test as SkylinePCG has stated. You have to get on a treadmill (most likely or a bike) with a 12 Lead EKG and walk on a treadmill. Every 3 minutes the treadmill increases speed and or incline. Depending on what type of test they run (the city makes you get) you will either go till exhaustion or till you reach a predetermined % of your max heart rate. When you reach that mark it is cross checked with the speed/incline of the treadmill to give you a Metts reading of your cardio endurance. The higher the number the better in shape you are and vice versa. Then when you finish the main part of the test they turn down the speed/incline and you walk on the treadmill till your heart rate goes below I think 100 (not exactly sure) and they measure that time. It tells them how quickly your heart returns to normal. This is the best test to measure your Heart and its strength.
    If you want to know more look up Cardio Stress Test most places use the Bruce Protocol if that helps.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with the poor timid spirits, who know neither victory nor defeat." FDR

Forum Member

Thanks Ant and Skyline

Thread Information