Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

Forum Member

Default Medical

Thanks a lot Irish6019. Don't listen to that hiring freeze crap, maybe an april fools joke, plus our #'s are high enough that we don't have to worry about it, we are at the top of the list. Anybody know where they are up to in the medicals, I'm assuming at least the first 300 are done? anybody who took the medical let us know # 10**

Forum Member

Yep, it happened. No reason it COULDNT happen again, but I doubt it, and heres why:

Theres 187 names on the dept. orders right now to take the CPAT. The list hasnt been updated since it was originally created. On there are people that have changed their mind about promoting, wont pass the medical/physical, have arrest records or stips, and in one tragic instance, a guy (a well respected, stand-up guy according to the people he's stationed with) got hit by a car and hurt pretty bad.

The point is, that list of 187 is getting shorter by the day. Id be surprised if its still in triple digits by the time the Summer class kicks off.

Forum Member

whats up everyone, I finally got posted... Just to let everyone know, there is a place in CT that runs the CPAT every 6 weeks or so. If anyone wants to take another couple of runs through it to improve times, I know you's have all been going to sessions, but a little FYI. Good luck to you all, I'm in the low 2000's so hopefully I'll go with the next batch. Big hopefully though...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hopefully09 View Post
    Kind of off topic question, but maybe someone on here would know this. My buddy is getting on with PD, but he had appendical cancer about a year ago. He is 100% good right now, can you still get on either job if you've had cancer before? If anyone knows this, thanks.
    I have a buddy recovering from cancer who took the last test (2043)- he was supposed to go in the last class, and had been cancer-free for 2 years, but they told him he had to be in remission for 5 years.

Forum Member

just a quick note to all those out there thinking about the laser surgery. the price they give you is VERY negotiable. I've gone to a couple of places that are "partners" with my insurance company. The only thing they do is say " oh, yeah we can take off $500" also when you mention fdny they go "oh we can knock off $200 or $300 for that" it's like common!! they just knock it down as soon as you mention it. They don't partner with the FDNY. THey just do it to make you THINK your getting a deal. Get them to knock it down first and THEN ask for the discounts. You'd be surprised. You can save close to 1K just negotiating. My favorite line is "oh wow, it's that expensive! i thought it was going to be like $1000 dollars cheaper" and the reaction i've gotten has been, "we can work with that" it's pretty much straight profit for these places once they've been in business for a year or two to pay off the equipment so they're okay with making 3k as opposed to nothing so NEGOTIATE heavily
    Sh*t List 6019 - 68xx's

Forum Member

Just updating a little from CPAT-land. I only got to see the results of 7 people, all on their first go. Five passed, one guy didnt saying only 'i gotta come back,' and another one failed, vomited, and stated he wouldnt be attempting #2 or #3. Different words of course.

Good luck everyone, but even better, be prepared.

Forum Member

Default Medical / Psych

Has anyone in the 900's received notification to take a Medical or Psych yet? I have my CPAT dates, but nothing else.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SurferP View Post
    just a quick note to all those out there thinking about the laser surgery. the price they give you is VERY negotiable. I've gone to a couple of places that are "partners" with my insurance company. The only thing they do is say " oh, yeah we can take off $500" also when you mention fdny they go "oh we can knock off $200 or $300 for that" it's like common!! they just knock it down as soon as you mention it. They don't partner with the FDNY. THey just do it to make you THINK your getting a deal. Get them to knock it down first and THEN ask for the discounts. You'd be surprised. You can save close to 1K just negotiating. My favorite line is "oh wow, it's that expensive! i thought it was going to be like $1000 dollars cheaper" and the reaction i've gotten has been, "we can work with that" it's pretty much straight profit for these places once they've been in business for a year or two to pay off the equipment so they're okay with making 3k as opposed to nothing so NEGOTIATE heavily
    Except I'm not really trying to get surgery from teh guy in the alley with a laser pointer. This is one thing where I actually felt more comfortable paying a a lot. Also I don't have health insurance. As for it being straight profit? You're paying for a MAJOR service, and there are tons of prep time and tests beforehand; this ain't no jiffy lube my friend. Don't be cheap with your damn vision.
    Last edited by Irish6019; 04-03-2008 at 12:32 PM.

Forum Member

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by SkylinePCG View Post
    Just updating a little from CPAT-land. I only got to see the results of 7 people, all on their first go. Five passed, one guy didnt saying only 'i gotta come back,' and another one failed, vomited, and stated he wouldnt be attempting #2 or #3. Different words of course.

Good luck everyone, but even better, be prepared.
    I hope for the next guy he didnt vomit in the tunnel

One of the instructer said a lot of people didn't take advantage of the classes at The Rock
    Last edited by matty21; 04-03-2008 at 10:51 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Cpat

The day I went they had a 0800 session and an 1400 session and the sign in sheet was almost blank. I walked in at 1245 they ran the few of us there though was out by 1345. The lady at the desk said I could have showed up at any time because so many people had not shown up. The list looked like it was 50-100 people long and my best guess was more than half did not show up. There were only 4 people there including me in the time frame I was there.
    Take it for what its worth.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with the poor timid spirits, who know neither victory nor defeat." FDR

Forum Member

Default Medical

Anybody know about what # they are up to for the medical? thanks

Default Training for academy

My list number is in the 300's and I was told by friends that this should be good enough to get into the academy come july '08 (It's July not June right?). Is that true? Also, can anyone offer any training advice besides a lot of running and gym?

Forum Member

They did. You can bank on cutting 30 seconds off in LIC, from whatever you did at the Rock, without any increase in effort. LIC is a fast course.

Forum Member

Default Medical

Who is the 1 in charge of this thing, WTF. By the time you post what I said there's been 10 other posts since then and it isn't relevant anymore because it shows up 2 pages back instead of the end. I re-posted what I said 3 days ago because it was put a page back where no one will read it and it's still not there Post the damn messages in order. If this does go out. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE THEY ARE UP TO FOR THE MEDICALS? THANK YOU GEORGY

Default About the physical fitness test

I have a long way to go before my number gets reach. Has anyone been paying attention to the speed they have been going in calling the numbers and how much time they give you before informing you about the test and to take the cpat. I am just currious and am hoping to get called sometime this year hopefully in the summer.

Forum Member

I'll be there the 12th, and I agree the rock more than prepared me for this test, they got this prep right.(compared to the one for the written).

First off, congratulations to everybody who scored well and is on their way to getting into the first couple classes. The best job in the world awaits those of us who truly want it... My question, if anybody possibly has any input, is this. I've never been arrested for anything and I my record is clean. However, a good 5-6 years ago I was going through a rough time and got in a fender bender at a driving job. I had to take a drug test and failed. Little weed. I was a completely different person in those days and have changed 1000%. I don't even drink nowadays. I have dedicated all of my time preparing for this career and can't even understand doing anything else. Should I tell them why I got fired when I get my packet? I'm not sure how many jobs they call. I want to be as honest as possible, but fear they might frown upon this. I have people these days (current boss, emt teacher) that can vouch for my character. Also this job was in CA when I lived out there. Im in the 2000's, so I've still got a little wait. Im sure not every firefighter has lived a completely squeaky clean life. Sorry for the length, and thanks....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Irish6019 View Post
    Except I'm not really trying to get surgery from teh guy in the alley with a laser pointer. This is one thing where I actually felt more comfortable paying a a lot. Also I don't have health insurance. As for it being straight profit? You're paying for a MAJOR service, and there are tons of prep time and tests beforehand; this ain't no jiffy lube my friend. Don't be cheap with your damn vision.
    Yeah the guy in the alley named Dr. Dello Russo who did Bernie Williams' eyes. I already went for the consult and it took 10 minutes. NO PREP TIME OR MAJOR TESTS. I was done with the consult in 10 minutes. They had an "open slot" that day if i wanted to get it done. I told them i would think about it and get back to them. Now they won't stop calling me. Lasik is actually a really BASIC procedure. Yes i can see how you don't want to skimp because there your eyes but it's not like if you negotiate they're going to use the crappier laser on your eye. Trust me. Negotiate on the lasik. You'd be surprised how flexible they are
    Sh*t List 6019 - 68xx's

Forum Member

what numbers are they up to for the cpat

Forum Member

Default Cpat Medical

I'm just over 1000 and I go the 16th for CPAT. Anyone know where they are up to for the medical?

Forum Member

Has anybody heard anything about the academy being lowered from 6 months back to 2 months?

MembersZone Subscriber

Probably just a rumor DaIrishscot. The instructors at the rock have said on multiple occasions that the academy was going to be 6 months. Evey time someone asks if it is going to go back to 3 months they say no.

Wishful thinking.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with the poor timid spirits, who know neither victory nor defeat." FDR

Forum Member

Default ???

I have a question .... Do the FDNY investigators make you get a letter from the DMV to prove that you do not have any outstanding parking tickets or moving violations? Because I know NYPD does.

Forum Member

Smile

Also any new info on training at da rock or updated info on the list numbers ???

Forum Member

my guess would be there wont be any major updates untill after the June class. They know they have enough people going through now to fill that class the only question is how far up the list will they go to get the 300 for June. If they dont go high I'd think you'll be waiting along with the people higher on the list that took the physical. It should be interesting how high they go with all the talk of people not showing up or failing portions of the process.

Thread Information