Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nightowl75 View Post
    I think keeping college credits is a no brainer. The department already gets a huge number of candidates who apply. Without the credits that number would sky rocket. By having a requirement of college credits it weeds out the people who don't care enough about the job to go to school and get them. Its just one more way to make sure the people who are getting hired actually want this job 110%. I went as far as joining the military for the veterans points. This job takes a level of dedication and while having college credits won't make someone a better firefighter it will show the dedication one has to getting the job. Anyone who gets handed this job doesn't deserve it.
    when did they get rid of the college credit requirement? Is that new for the upcoming test or was that for previous tests.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    You realize you can already use 6 months of work experience in lieu of them right??
    I asked this is another thread that was actually mentioning it but will throw it out here as well since that thread isn't very active. I heard it was proposed by the vulcans that they give people who graduated from a "city school" points, lets say that happens, do they mean a public school or just a high school in NYC? and would that be in place of the resident points or in addition to?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by simpllyhuge View Post
    I asked this is another thread that was actually mentioning it but will throw it out here as well since that thread isn't very active. I heard it was proposed by the vulcans that they give people who graduated from a "city school" points, lets say that happens, do they mean a public school or just a high school in NYC? and would that be in place of the resident points or in addition to?

Hey, Simply. Not to sound like a ******, but could you stop asking the same question in multiple threads? You just bumped up a thread that was from July of last year. If you have any question, I'd say your best bet would be this thread since we've all been through the process and a lot of the posters here are very knowledgeable.

And to answer your question, the high school point would probably be for NYC public high schools. And I believe it'd be in addition to the residency points. Please correct me if I'm wrong, guys. We'll just have to wait and see what this new testing process will be like.

Now, onto our little problem. When will this goddamn judge make his final ruling? FOCK!!!! Just had to vent, fellas.
    6019- was sitting at 13xx
    2000- now sitting at 18xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by My1Goal View Post
    Hey, Simply. Not to sound like a ******, but could you stop asking the same question in multiple threads? You just bumped up a thread that was from July of last year. If you have any question, I'd say your best bet would be this thread since we've all been through the process and a lot of the posters here are very knowledgeable.

And to answer your question, the high school point would probably be for NYC public high schools. And I believe it'd be in addition to the residency points. Please correct me if I'm wrong, guys. We'll just have to wait and see what this new testing process will be like.

Now, onto our little problem. When will this goddamn judge make his final ruling? FOCK!!!! Just had to vent, fellas.
    well that was the point of my first sentence, I should have included the word sorry first thou. I was reminded of the info in that thread and thus asked about it there, only to then realize that the thread wasn't very active and this one was. So Sorry again.

If you are correct and it's only for public schools then thats pretty screwed up because a large portion of the people who become here in nyc go to private or catholic schools. The wording is confusing for a few different reasons, but who even knows if it will go through.
    I have lived in NYC my whole life, it would suck for people who moved here if it ended up being a whole 8 points. It seems a little redundant in conjunction with the residency test and it would be more fair if it were just 3 HS points on top of the 5 residency points, instead of the full 5+8. Not sure if that made sense, sorry I have been reading this stuff all day and it stopped making full sense. I guess we can only wait and see.
    Last edited by simpllyhuge; 01-12-2011 at 10:11 PM.

Forum Member

The few times it has been distinguished it was mentioned as any NYC HS, not just public. The argument for giving points to NYC HS graduates is to get more NYCers in the ranks, not more minorities (at least that's what they are saying). If that is the case someone who goes to an NYC private HS is just as much an NYCer as someone who went to public school. Obviously we're all thinking the # of minorities who attend private school is not very high, I have no idea of the actual #s but I would prob agree with that.

I can't see them giving 5 residency points AND 8 HS graduate points, that would be redundant and more points than I think any other department gives. But that's just one clueless persons guess at what would make sense.

Forum Member

The Vulcans have pushed for this in the past and when they did it was for NYC Public High Schools only-which is probably why the Hispanic Society refused to support it considering how many hispanics in the City go to Catholic High Schools. I'd be very surprised if the Vulcans possition has changed-anyone really think they're going to give 8 points to Long Island guys that went to St. Francis Prep or guys from Westchester that went to Fordham???

Forum Member

this next test is gonna be something. i wonder how many points the vulcans will want to give out. its crazy to think that a vet with residency like myself will be in contention to lose a spot to someone who happened to graduate from a city hs. that whole proposition is off the wall

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by myles8683 View Post
    this next test is gonna be something. i wonder how many points the vulcans will want to give out. its crazy to think that a vet with residency like myself will be in contention to lose a spot to someone who happened to graduate from a city hs. that whole proposition is off the wall
    Common sense went out the window a long time ago my friend.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY78 View Post
    Really wanting the job has nothing to do with going out and getting college credits. It has everything to do with who has the money and resources to do so, which to me would be a form of discrimination against those who don't.
    The American Opportunity Tax Credit allows up to $2,500 a year for education, to include tuition, books, and other education related materials. I understand that it even covers a new computer if you do distance learning (online courses). No excuses. I don't want to hear about discrimination and lack of resources. I was raised by a single mother working for low pay, and not enough money to eat always. I got some money from the Pell Grant, and also worked both in a grocery store and also loading trucks on the overnight to pay for my tuition at Baruch. That Tax Credit program is a credit, not a write off. Your outlay is repaid 100% by the gov't. IIRC, 40% is refundable, meaning that if your tax liability goes to zero dollars before you hit that $2,500, you get a check from Uncle Sam for 40% of the balance that you laid out. Free money. No excuses. People need to do for themselves, hold themselves accountable, rather than blame discrimination, lack of opportunity, etc. etc. for failure to advance on the socioeconomic ladder.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson

Forum Member

Question

Does anyone have the answer as to why the college credits were removed.

Was it part of the overall lets make the test and the application process so

much easier, part of the dumming down of America. How come the NYPD still

has the requirement as part of its application process.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BTown View Post
    Does anyone have the answer as to why the college credits were removed.
    To make the process easier for idiots with no drive to get what they need to get one the job.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY78 View Post
    THIS JOB REQUIRES THE USE OF TOOLS! Traditionally it is made up of guys who come from trade jobs where they are used to using tools. I'm not saying that this can't be learned and I'm not trying to put college degrees down, but this is what I see in the field and I know alot of guys on the job will agree with me. I feel that a college degree is not necessary for the rank of FF and many of us agree with practice of eliminating the college credit requirement. I think it was a good move to remove the college credit."
    I agree with this statement, because fire doesnt kill firemen, building construction and illegally converted rooms (SRO) kill firemen. And with a construction backround or atleat knowing how to work with tools and understanding how physically demanding this occupation really is, in my opinion would make someone a better firemen than a college student with no experence.

just my 2cents
    Last edited by fightfor6019; 01-13-2011 at 02:47 PM.

Forum Member

Just sitting at my desk, waiting for the clock to hit 5:30. Damnit, GOD HELP US OUT!! Will our list just go up in flames? Man, I should take up yoga or something... Fock...
    6019- was sitting at 13xx
    2000- now sitting at 18xx

Forum Member

who in here can I ask a quick question about the cpat specific to NYC that I couldn't find? I would have just asked but I have a feeling some one would have found something wrong with asking that here and written about that instead of answering me.

Forum Member

who in here can I ask a quick question about the cpat specific to NYC that I couldn't find? I would have just asked but I have a feeling some one would have found something wrong with asking that here and written about that instead of answering me.
    All ears...Ask away

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fightfor6019 View Post
    I agree with this statement, because fire doesnt kill firemen, building construction and illegally converted rooms (SRO) kill firemen. And with a construction backround or atleat knowing how to work with tools and understanding how physically demanding this occupation really is, in my opinion would make someone a better firemen than a college student with no experence.

just my 2cents

Even though the college credit level has been lowered, it still helps weed out those who truly don't have a clue. What most people forget about is that in order to become an officer on this job, a college degree is required. It does take alot of studying and a fair amount of intellect to rise the ranks of the department. To say they should completely do away with college credits is ignorant and would eventually lead to a department filled with less educated leaders. Not what anybody wants. Have a little pride. Most college grad are much more qualified and can still perform the necessary tasks required. Don't be ignorant.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=FDNY78

I was explaining how keeping college credits would be a bad idea in my opinion. This is a forum we are exchanging information. If you throw out a suggestion it may be disputed, whether or not you care one way or the other.[/QUOTE]

Credits are still required for PD. Requiring them for FD would have kept parity... Don't be surprised if pay starts drifting farther apart because PO's are more educated.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GMEN6019 View Post
    All ears...Ask away
    Some one PM'ed me and I'm awaiting an answer, but I guess since I got your attention I will ask anyway so others can benefit if they read this.
    I read that the step test is 3 minutes but was unsure the speed of the steps, about 60 a minute? and do they use 75 pounds or 50 in NYC? The reason I ask is when looking it up I read some depts use 75 and some 50. I own one of these vests and tried it before and the difference between 50 and 75 is a pretty big one. Thanks.

Forum Member

Even though the college credit level has been lowered, it still helps weed out those who truly don't have a clue. What most people forget about is that in order to become an officer on this job, a college degree is required.
    yo guy, were talking about an entry level civil service exam, not a brain surgeon position.
    Its not about being ignorant nor did i say college was a bad thing. I dont feel college is nessecary to get otj. You misunderstood what i said.

but i guess a degree in web design or libral arts makes someone a better fireman than someone who has worked as a carpenter, electrictian or even a sprinkerler fitter.

btw, a sprinker fitter is a skilled tradesman who installs sprinker systems for fire supression and standpipes for highrise buildings.

Forum Member

Even though the college credit level has been lowered, it still helps weed out those who truly don't have a clue. What most people forget about is that in order to become an officer on this job, a college degree is required. It does take alot of studying and a fair amount of intellect to rise the ranks of the department. To say they should completely do away with college credits is ignorant and would eventually lead to a department filled with less educated leaders. Not what anybody wants. Have a little pride. Most college grad are much more qualified and can still perform the necessary tasks required. Don't be ignorant.
    also those who want it badly can go and get the credits, I think it was only 12 or 15. The test is getting easier and it makes is harder to decide who gets the job.

Lets say (Candidate1) has no college credits and wants ANY city job, but its not necessarily his dream to be a FDNY. He wakes up on test day and manages to get a 100. Candidate 1 Also took the test to be corrections and Transit ECT. and would be happy to be any of them.

Another person (Candidate 2) has been dreaming his whole life to be FDNY and also gets a 100 on the test.

Now these two people did the same on this test because the city is making it easier and easier and there is no further way to prove ones self via this test. Now if Candidate 2 really wants it more than candidate 1, Candidate 2 can then go and get the 12 credits, where candidate 1 might not want the job badly enough over another city job that requires 0 credits. My point is, it weeds out more people and is an easy requirement to make if you want the job badly enough.
    12 non specific credits is pretty easy to get at any Cuny School, and keeps people from just showing up on test day and getting the job over some one willing to do anything to be FDNY. Let that person Go be sanitation or whatever else.
    I just see a problem with really deciding who really wants this job the most when the main deciding factor is a short 8th grade level test thats given once ever 4 years.

Forum Member

"If you really want this job, you'll get it" dont worry about anyone else, just do your part and you'll be fine. whether its studying for the written or working out for the physical or even getting the college credits the fdny asks for

Forum Member

On a more positive note, a friend of mine whos otj is a union delegate for his firehouse and attended a union meeting recently. They spoke about hiring and 6019. They think a new exam might be coming out this summer but would still take 16-18 months to actually have guys staffed in firehouses. So the union supports hiring off 6019 and are going to fight for this.

Forum Member

Some one PM'ed me and I'm awaiting an answer, but I guess since I got your attention I will ask anyway so others can benefit if they read this.
    I read that the step test is 3 minutes but was unsure the speed of the steps, about 60 a minute? and do they use 75 pounds or 50 in NYC? The reason I ask is when looking it up I read some depts use 75 and some 50. I own one of these vests and tried it before and the difference between 50 and 75 is a pretty big one. Thanks.
    Its 3:20 on the stepmill, 20 second warmup, 3 minutes at 60 steps per minute. You'll be on the mill with an extra 25 lbs added to the vest ( 2 - 12.5 lb weights added onto each shoulder). Once you finish the mill, this 25 lbs is removed and you complete the rest of the cpat course with just the 50 lb vest on. The extra 25 makes some difference but if you're ready for it, whenever the hell it might happen, you'll be fine.

Keep training

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fightfor6019 View Post
    yo guy, were talking about an entry level civil service exam, not a brain surgeon position.
    Its not about being ignorant nor did i say college was a bad thing. I dont feel college is nessecary to get otj. You misunderstood what i said.

but i guess a degree in web design or libral arts makes someone a better fireman than someone who has worked as a carpenter, electrictian or even a sprinkerler fitter.

btw, a sprinker fitter is a skilled tradesman who installs sprinker systems for fire supression and standpipes for highrise buildings.
    Oh Guy...I totally agree with you that college is def not necessary to get on the job. If the last exam was as easy at it was, I can only imagine how easy they are going to make the next one. All I'm saying is that college does help produce better educated individuals who if they truly want the job will get it and make the future of the department better. Knowledge of building construction and skilled trade is 100% beneficial otj. But you cant say someone with a college degree wouldn't do just as good a job if not better.

And thanks for the sprinkler fitter definition. I had no idea what it was.

Keep training... Lets keep the forum for info that means something. Its easy to get fired up. We've all been waiting a very very long time.

Forum Member

This article is pretty informative not sure if "flex" wrote it, but its the most detailed one I have read so far.
    http://www.inflexwetrust.com/2010/12...ghter-problem/

From the way its written it seems like the city HS points would be for NYC high schools in general
    Last edited by simpllyhuge; 01-13-2011 at 10:42 PM.

Thread Information