Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fightfor6019 View Post
    yo guy, were talking about an entry level civil service exam, not a brain surgeon position.
    Its not about being ignorant nor did i say college was a bad thing. I dont feel college is nessecary to get otj. You misunderstood what i said.

but i guess a degree in web design or libral arts makes someone a better fireman than someone who has worked as a carpenter, electrictian or even a sprinkerler fitter.

btw, a sprinker fitter is a skilled tradesman who installs sprinker systems for fire supression and standpipes for highrise buildings.
    I need my lawn sprinkler flushed out, know any skilled tradesmen?

Forum Member

Since we're asking general questions...anyone know exactly when you have to produce a DD214 in the hiring process? In 2007 I dont remember anyone having their's during the written but I could be wrong.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Desire4theJob View Post
    Since we're asking general questions...anyone know exactly when you have to produce a DD214 in the hiring process? In 2007 I dont remember anyone having their's during the written but I could be wrong.
    whats a DD214, is there anything you need before the test?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by simpllyhuge View Post
    whats a DD214, is there anything you need before the test?
    Its what you get after your term of enlistment in the Armed Forces.

Forum Member

This article is pretty informative not sure if "flex" wrote it, but its the most detailed one I have read so far.
    http://www.inflexwetrust.com/2010/12...ghter-problem/

From the way its written it seems like the city HS points would be for NYC high schools in general
    Yea, I'm not sure about what Washington has tried to push in the past, but this go around every time he's mentioned the city credit points he has followed it up with “This will ensure that our kids, that we educate in our city, are getting our city jobs,” . Maybe his motives are the same and he's spinning it differently, who the hell knows. Maybe they'd compromise and do a 2.5 residency + 2.5 city HS graduate split? I recently took a test that gave 10 points to city residents, and we weren't told anything beyond "favorable treatment will be given to those test takers who live within city limits". I found out literally 2 minutes before I could open my book to take the test that I pretty much had no shot....not the best feeling I've ever had, lol.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Desire4theJob View Post
    it is my understanding that when you file for the exam you check off that your a vet thats what i did and was given the extra points. then after you have an investigator you have to produce a dd214 (unfortunatly i never got that far in the process #26**). but you definetly dont bring it with you on the test day. make a million copies of that thing too ive been out for 3 years and have needed it numerous times to get my post 9-11 gi bill started and you know how the va is quick to do nothing so getting a new copy could take a while

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by myles8683 View Post
    it is my understanding that when you file for the exam you check off that your a vet thats what i did and was given the extra points. then after you have an investigator you have to produce a dd214 (unfortunatly i never got that far in the process #26**). but you definetly dont bring it with you on the test day. make a million copies of that thing too ive been out for 3 years and have needed it numerous times to get my post 9-11 gi bill started and you know how the va is quick to do nothing so getting a new copy could take a while
    Ok thanks, goodluck to you next time around.

Forum Member

GMEN6019
    Well, even though we dont agree with every opinion, Id say that we both agree that a well educated person who's handy would make a good candidate.

more importantly, we both agree that the candidate should be highly motivated to be a nyc firefighter and do whatever it takes to get on the job regardless of there backround.

wish you guys the best of luck on getting otj...we might work with eachother and never relize it

Forum Member

GMEN6019
    Well, even though we dont agree with every opinion, Id say that we both agree that a well educated person who's handy would make a good candidate.

more importantly, we both agree that the candidate should be highly motivated to be a nyc firefighter and do whatever it takes to get on the job regardless of there backround.

wish you guys the best of luck on getting otj...we might work with eachother and never relize it
    Agreed...see you otj whenever it might be

Forum Member

On a more positive note, a friend of mine whos otj is a union delegate for his firehouse and attended a union meeting recently. They spoke about hiring and 6019. They think a new exam might be coming out this summer but would still take 16-18 months to actually have guys staffed in firehouses. So the union supports hiring off 6019 and are going to fight for this.
    Do you mean 16-18 months of hiring off of 6019 before they use the new list?

Who actually votes on the age change issue? And does a date exist for that.
    Last edited by simpllyhuge; 01-16-2011 at 09:13 AM.

Forum Member

16-18 months after a new exam is given..i think thats academy time as well.

Forum Member

does anyone know when Garaufnuts might make a final ruling?? or can he continue jerking us around indefinitely? I remember him saying something about not wanting to drag this out. that was early summertime. I LOVE 6019!! ITS SO MUCH FUN!!

oh, and when you ETS from the military, the first thing you should have done is brought a copy of your dd214 to the county office building, to your county clerk, they will file an original away for you for safe keeping, then you never have to rely on the VA. just fyi.
    Last edited by fdny101ABN; 01-16-2011 at 03:11 PM.

Forum Member

no one including the asst. deputy commish knows when this final ruling is going to come down. But the city will still appeal if your worried about that. Mainly because of the intentional discrimination charge against the city, if the city fails to appeal it's as if they agree to intentionally discriminating against minorities. As long as a appeal is possible 6019 is still alive. Even if a new test is given and another class is in the works or even hired from, if an appeal is won hiring of at least the initial 312 is still possible (somewhat as what happenend in the 80's with the women's lawsuit and classes going in 7 years after test was given).

Forum Member

16-18 months after a new exam is given..i think thats academy time as well.
    Im sorry I still don't understand, you mean they would still take 16-18 months of using 6019 before using a list from the new test? thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by I3akdraf View Post
    no one including the asst. deputy commish knows when this final ruling is going to come down. But the city will still appeal if your worried about that. Mainly because of the intentional discrimination charge against the city, if the city fails to appeal it's as if they agree to intentionally discriminating against minorities. As long as a appeal is possible 6019 is still alive. Even if a new test is given and another class is in the works or even hired from, if an appeal is won hiring of at least the initial 312 is still possible (somewhat as what happenend in the 80's with the women's lawsuit and classes going in 7 years after test was given).
    So if they make a new test, does the same judge have jurisdiction over it?

Forum Member

Default MLK day

I would just like to take this opportunity to embrace MLK day. As a white male i applaud what Mr King did in his lifetime to make everyone equal, to have equal opportunity for everyone, and for everyone no matter what their skin color is to have every opportunity to get that job they have always desired.

I would also like to call out the vulcans for going against everything that Martin Luther King stands for,,, Equal opportunity for Everyone. Their lawsuit is not only discriminatory but downright idiotic and sickening. If Mr. King was alive today he would be shocked at the actions of Paul Washington and John Coombs. Every man is created equal and the #6019 test that we all took was the best test for the job, and yest these idiots still want to give this job to people who are not worthy. Mr. King would have been ashamed of their actions to say the very least.

I know you are out their Vulcans,,,, I know you are reading this,,,And I swear before my day is done on this earth,, I will find each and every one of you,, and make sure you remember Martin Luther King and what he stood for, FAIRNESS and EQUAL OPPORTUNITY for EVERYONE!

Forum Member

So if they make a new test, does the same judge have jurisdiction over it?
    No he doesn't, the case proceedings only involved the last 3 tests starting with the '99 up to '07. The new test in the works in supposed to be made so that it's legally bulletproof, the company involved has had their previous test withstand discrimination lawsuits. As far as hiring it's up to the city whether they want to use 6019 IF an appeal is won. There are some legal loopholes that would permit merit based hiring such as getting the appellate judge to grant a stay that would allow the city to hire based on merit while an appeal is ongoing, but we'll just have to hope and wait till Garafius gives his final ruling, whenever that is.

Forum Member

Thanks, that's awesome.

Forum Member

Im sorry I still don't understand, you mean they would still take 16-18 months of using 6019 before using a list from the new test? thanks
    I believe 16-18 months means the time from the day the new test is administered until the day the first class graduates from the academy. The test has to be administered, graded, scores sent out, list order created, CPATs, medical, psych, background check, etc, and an academy.

Forum Member

By law, is there a deadline to which a judge has to issue his/her final ruling?

Forum Member

Question

Who would have thought that the NY Mets would be on the Rock going through

some training drills before the top 320 from 6019. What's next!!!
    Last edited by BTown; 01-18-2011 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Spell Check

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    I believe 16-18 months means the time from the day the new test is administered until the day the first class graduates from the academy. The test has to be administered, graded, scores sent out, list order created, CPATs, medical, psych, background check, etc, and an academy.
    yes, this is what i ment

Forum Member

Does anyone happen to have the link for the Westchester exam that is being given soon? I remember it was posted on here a while back, but I can't find it. I'm fairly sure I remember that the application is being closed within the next week or so. If nothing else, I just want to take it for the practice. Thanks guys....

Forum Member

I was asked to relay the message that there will be a Merit Matters meeting on Staten Island this Thursday evening. I do not have anyones email address, so I posted the information below. I figured this would be the quickest way to get the word out Take care.

Labetti VFW post
    Hylan Blvd.
    7pm Thursday 1/20
    Last edited by takenotice2011; 01-18-2011 at 03:14 PM.

Forum Member

Who's gonna be at the meeting. Will it be mostly people from 6019 or any interested in info

Thread Information