Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    Does anyone happen to have the link for the Westchester exam that is being given soon? I remember it was posted on here a while back, but I can't find it. I'm fairly sure I remember that the application is being closed within the next week or so. If nothing else, I just want to take it for the practice. Thanks guys....
    I am taking the Westchester exam... sorry man but the application date has passed.....December 29th was the last day i believe

Forum Member

Default Merit Matters meeting

Regarding the merit matters meeting, for those who don't know, Merit Matters is NOT a group of 6019 Candidates. It is the firefighters organization fighting against lowering standards for the FDNY.

Of course the 6019 candidates group is working with Merit Matters and the meeting is open to 6019 candidates, but this meeting is their meeting and is not run by us (the 1st of their meetings we had 2 candidates representing our group and the 2nd meeting only 1, which is really not enough). There will be at least 2 candidates attending from the 6019 Age Extension Group, but hopefully they wont be the only 6019 candidates who show up. We need to have better representation at these meetings.

Oh yeah and guys, just so you know, the one candidate who showed up to both of the last 2 meetings got up and spoke in front of a room of 100+ firefighters each time on your behalf. Where was everyone else is what I'd like to know? I realize some of you didn't know about the meetings, but now you do, no excuses this time, there needs to be a few more of us there.

Merit Matters will hold its next meeting at the Labetti Post on Staten Island (390 Hylan Blvd) on Thursday, January 20th, 2011 - 7pm.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tghockey11 View Post
    I am taking the Westchester exam... sorry man but the application date has passed.....December 29th was the last day i believe

Yeah man you're right. I actually just found the link. The last day for filing was 12/20/10. I am almost certain that I had it in my head as 1/20/11....

FML

Forum Member

Just read the Chicago 2006 thread and I see that their ball's starting to roll again. Hope it was true with our case. Fock...

As for the Merit Matters meeting, I won't be able to make it unfortunately. My hours at work has been very erratic. Damnit! I'm seriously grateful to those who have/will be representing our group at these meetings. Also, much love and thanks to the guys working hard on the age extension/ legal-front. Let's keep praying, fellas and gals.
    Last edited by My1Goal; 01-19-2011 at 01:11 PM.
    6019- was sitting at 13xx
    2000- now sitting at 18xx

Forum Member

Hey guys just wondering for you that went through the residency process. Is a cell phone bill acceptable to show residency. I have a staten island address, liscense, registration, etc... but the only utility I have in my name is a cell phone. Does that FDNY accept that as a utility bill? Thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RNmurr View Post
    Hey guys just wondering for you that went through the residency process. Is a cell phone bill acceptable to show residency. I have a staten island address, liscense, registration, etc... but the only utility I have in my name is a cell phone. Does that FDNY accept that as a utility bill? Thanks
    A cell phone bill was acceptable to prove residency. I believe I used that and a bank statement, which was ok as well. God knows what you'll have to produce for the next test though.

Forum Member

Do you have to produce it at the test? I dunno why we are talking about this, We don't even know when the test is.
    Last edited by simpllyhuge; 01-19-2011 at 10:15 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by simpllyhuge View Post
    Do you have to produce it at the test? I dunno why we are talking about this, We don't even know when the test is.
    No, you don't have to bring proof of residency for the exam. Before the time frame required to claim residency was about a full year following the exam (test in Jan 07, residency from March 07-March 08, I believe). Besides not knowing when the exam is, who knows what will even be required for residency this time around. It sounds like the requirements may become a little more strict.

I wonder why it's taking so long for them to come up with the exam. If there is group working full time on this, and there are examples of exams that held up through any type of racial scrutiny in the past it seems a little odd to me that it's taking this long (or as long as it's rumored to take).
    Last edited by HopefulFF; 01-19-2011 at 11:38 PM.

Forum Member

I hope the rumors I keep hearing about he summer are true. I am hearing it from the recruiters on the street in manhattan, but would assume people on here would know more, especially since that was months ago.

I wish The Age extension would go through and then I wouldn't be so impatient and worried about missing the cutoff. Nov Ill be 29
    Last edited by simpllyhuge; 01-20-2011 at 12:25 AM.

Forum Member

on the FDNY site it says that you must be under 29 at the beginning of the application period. Which I would imagine is the first day of the period where u register for the test?

But when I look up the age extension, the articles I have read seem to refer to the age as being younger than 29 the day of the test, Can any one clarify which is true. Thanks.
    Last edited by simpllyhuge; 01-20-2011 at 02:39 AM.

Forum Member

Its 29 at the begining of the application period to take the exam. If it takes three years to get to your name then you'll be 32 when you start the actual application process to be hired.
    FDNY Exam 6019 List# 14XX.
    Lawsuit Victim: Completed process, cancelled academy.

FDNY Exam 2000 List# 6XX.

Forum Member

That would suck but I would still take it. you think that is too old?
    Last edited by simpllyhuge; 01-20-2011 at 04:41 AM.

Forum Member

Default Westchester exam

Has anyone who applied for the westchester firefighter exam received anything in the mail like a notice or something?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by nightowl75 View Post
    Its 29 at the begining of the application period to take the exam. If it takes three years to get to your name then you'll be 32 when you start the actual application process to be hired.
    No.

The application period is just that; a period of time that you can apply to take the test, usually a month. During which you must not have reached your 29th birthday by the opening of the period and are eligible to apply if you will have reached 17 1/2 by the end of it. (Yeah, I know, it's worded weird.)

What it doesn't mean is that if you take the written test and then three years later start moving on in the hiring process and your age is now 32 that you are starting the application process; that already happened. You're just moving on in the hiring process.

So yes, don't worry about age at the time of the exam, it's just at the application period is when it matters. 29 in November should be good for you if they're on track with a new test soon. As for the maximum age, I always thought it was strange and unreasonable. But I don't decide that. But I can contact my assemblyman.

We could be saying the same thing here but just using different words. I'm just not reading it that way with your post though.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    No.

The application period is just that; a period of time that you can apply to take the test, usually a month. During which you must not have reached your 29th birthday by the opening of the period and are eligible to apply if you will have reached 17 1/2 by the end of it. (Yeah, I know, it's worded weird.)

What it doesn't mean is that if you take the written test and then three years later start moving on in the hiring process and your age is now 32 that you are starting the application process; that already happened. You're just moving on in the hiring process.

So yes, don't worry about age at the time of the exam, it's just at the application period is when it matters. 29 in November should be good for you if they're on track with a new test soon. As for the maximum age, I always thought it was strange and unreasonable. But I don't decide that. But I can contact my assemblyman.

We could be saying the same thing here but just using different words. I'm just not reading it that way with your post though.
    Yea that's what I was saying. Thanks for clarifying.
    FDNY Exam 6019 List# 14XX.
    Lawsuit Victim: Completed process, cancelled academy.

FDNY Exam 2000 List# 6XX.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY-USCG View Post
    Has anyone who applied for the westchester firefighter exam received anything in the mail like a notice or something?
    I'm taking it (practice, I guess) and haven't heard anything yet. Unless you count them cashing my $50 check, lol.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JD1986 View Post
    A cell phone bill was acceptable to prove residency. I believe I used that and a bank statement, which was ok as well. God knows what you'll have to produce for the next test though.
    i hear you on that the requirements may get crazy. my buddy works for the dmv and said that wherever your drivers liscence is isssued to is your undisputed resident adress its where are your civil service notifications go through like jury duty and stuff like that. so id imagine if you cant produce a state issued id with city residence on it youd be in trouble along with phone bill bank statement and maybe even a lease agreement if you rent.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by myles8683 View Post
    i hear you on that the requirements may get crazy. my buddy works for the dmv and said that wherever your drivers liscence is isssued to is your undisputed resident adress its where are your civil service notifications go through like jury duty and stuff like that. so id imagine if you cant produce a state issued id with city residence on it youd be in trouble along with phone bill bank statement and maybe even a lease agreement if you rent.
    I believe your residence is what you register with the post office. As far as the city is concerned for tax sake they go by when you changed your address with the post office.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    No.

So what if I were to turn 29 two weeks into the application period? what is officially the beginning.

Sorry reread your post and it seems pretty obvious that as long as your 28 on the first day, correct me if Im wrong thanks.
    Last edited by simpllyhuge; 01-20-2011 at 02:58 PM.

Forum Member

Check out the Washington Times 1/21/11. Editorial section written by

Mr. Quinn Hiller. Right on Target Obamas and Holders DOJ.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BTown View Post
    Check out the Washington Times 1/21/11. Editorial section written by

Mr. Quinn Hiller. Right on Target Obamas and Holders DOJ.

EDITORIAL: Justice Department undermines FDNY

Race-based lawsuit over quotas hurts lifesaving mission

Firefighters live to rescue, but political correctness is undermining this important mission in the Big Apple. Currently, 406 of 8,654 budgeted positions at the Firefighters Department of New York (FDNY) are unfilled because a federal judge and the Justice Department insist rescuing ability must bow to racial quotas.

On Dec. 15, the left-wing Village Voice described the plight of several black firefighter candidates who aced the FDNY entrance exam, only to be blocked from entering the Fire Academy because U.S. district Judge Nicholas G. Garaufis decided the test was too tough for some minority candidates to pass. Although more than 90 percent of blacks and Hispanics passed, the judge ruled the examination was discriminatory because a slightly higher percentage of white applicants did. Contrary to the ruling, these minority success rates are well above the 80 percent standard used by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission to decide if a test has a racially "disparate impact."

Judge Garaufis wasn't impressed that New York City has spent more than $20 million since 1989 to recruit minority firefighters. He insists minorities be hired in near-exact proportion to the numbers who took the exam, which in turn must more closely mirror the races' respective percentages of the city's population. He therefore jettisoned the test results, leaving in limbo those many minorities who passed the exam.

Judge Garaufis is trying to impose quotas, and the Justice Department backs him. This push disregards a high-profile 2009 Supreme Court decision knocking down the same practices. In Ricci v. DeStefano, the court ruled the city of New Haven, Conn., could not discard the results of an objective, neutral firefighter test merely because of a racially disparate passage rate. To do so would be to deliberately choose or reject applicants on the basis of their race, and "this express, race-based decision-making violates Title VII" of the Civil Rights Act.

The lead Justice Department attorney in the FDNY case is Loretta King, who ordered the dismissal of most voter-intimidation charges against Black Panthers in Philadelphia and who is hip-deep in other race-based legal controversies. On Sept. 30, she wrote a memo to Judge Garaufis pitching four proposals to require "representative" or "proportional" quotas. Ms. King glosses over the professional challenges of firefighting to focus on whether minorities feel "stigmatized" or if black firefighters could further their "sense of fairness in their place of employment" if surrounded by more workers of their own race.

Firemen should be hired for ability, not racial bean-counting. The judge's fiat, wrote Manhattan Institute Fellow Heather MacDonald in the City Journal, "was not just groundless, it was recklessly inflammatory." The heroic FDNY doesn't deserve to have its operations so inflamed.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...dermines-fdny/

Forum Member

I liked the tone of the article. Its time NYC released some new information on whats going on.

Forum Member

IF they gave the next exam on time it would have prob been today, 4 years from the last exam....

Forum Member

How do people know who they hired to formulate the tests? I don't come across any info during my searches.
    Last edited by simpllyhuge; 01-23-2011 at 03:43 AM.

Forum Member

Well at least the Mets got to go through the acedemy...Hang tough 6019!

http://www.firehouse.com/news/top-he...-players-ropes

Thread Information