Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 49 of 618 FirstFirst ... 39464748495051525999149549 ... LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorC View Post
    Don't know if my first post went through because I got logged out or something so I will just repost what I said

I just got my packet and im sitting in the low 1300's. Just wanted to give everyone the heads up that packets are being sent out again. And to say congrats to anyone else getting theres and starting there journeys.
    Hey anchor, did you get a whole packet or a letter about the CPAT? Or both? Or are they both the same thing and I'm just confused? Oh God I don't know if I'm confused!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by soon2bJake View Post
    no, bug your investigator, its their job. I was doing the same thing and a buddy of mine told me to keep on them so i called her and low and behold my case was still open because she didn't get a letter from my current employer. almost ****ed me. so keep on your investigator, even if it is to ask bs questions that you know the answers to. these investigators are not on the job they are civilins that makes sure your not a criminal or a nutjob. They best way to go about it is to ask if your investigation is still "open" or "closed" if your investigation is "open" then that means they are not done with it and you will not get a letter. If your investigation is "closed" then that means your investigator has all the info and you will get a letter if your number comes up and everything is in order.
    Thanks for the tip, Soon2be. I called today and hit the same thing. They didn't have a recent pay stub or the letter from my current employer, either. Thanks again, man.

Also, to second what Ant said, my investigator (could be the same one) backed up the rumor about the run being before letters, but she didn't go into detail. I didn't push at the time, because I knew I'd be calling again to check up on the documents I faxed over. I called back when everything was sent, but I only got voicemail and I haven't heard from her yet. I'll call again tomorrow if I don't hear anything today.

I'm curious how they're gonna pull off the run before academy. As I see it, in this sue-happy society, putting an elimination event like the run before academy with little notice, info on it's consequences, and a lack of the means of "control" could be disastrous.

How exactly does the run work at academy? From what I gather, you're sworn in and technically become a city employee before you're given the run test. If you fail, you fail at performing your job and, since you're a probie, you can be fired.

However, if they do this before you're technically a city employee and have been sworn in, their "grounds" for not giving you the job/allowing you to continue seem shakier. I see the point (ie, you can't perform the run, it's just like failing the CPAT and you're not fit enough). But, since it wasn't written about in the NoE as a pre-req for getting hired in the first place, it seems like it could be rifled by a lawyer.

With the way this has gone so far, I can just see a Fatty NoRunny not passing and bringing up a lawsuit saying the run discriminated against him/her from GETTING the job, not getting fired for not PERFORMING it once he/she was already hired.

Am I off base with this concern?
    Just a peon proby in the greatest job in the world; grinning ear to ear.

Forum Member

ant195.....around what list number are you?.....if you don't mind me asking

Forum Member

From The new Chief this week

80 Becoming Firefighters
    Claim Low EMS Pay Is Causing High Turnover

By ARI PAUL

The Fire Department hit back at a union president May 16 who said that low starting salaries for Paramedics and Emergency Medical Technicians was leading to high attrition in the Emergency Medical Service.

PATRICK J. BAHNKEN: Members follow the money.

Upon hearing May 15 that 80 EMS responders would be appointed as Probationary Firefighters and that EMS would be short 121 EMTs by the end of June, Patrick Bahnken, who as president of Local 2507 of District Council 37 represents EMTs and Paramedics, told reporters that lower salaries in EMS were forcing members to seek more lucrative careers as Firefighters or in other uniformed agencies.

Says Union's At Fault

But chief FDNY spokesman Francis X. Gribbon countered that blame for the low salary rested with the union, likening the situation to the Patrolmen's Benevolent Association's arbitration battle with the city.

"Bahnken and 2507 aggressively pushed for a lower starting pay in the last contract, so that the savings could be redistributed to more-senior personnel," Mr. Gribbon said. "We opposed that. He prevailed, and that's why starting salaries are lower than we would have liked."

After five years, a Firefighter receives a base salary of $68,475, a Paramedic earns $50,501, and an EMT earns $39,179, according to the FDNY Web site. (Firefighters are working under a pact that has raised their pay more than 8 percent since the EMS pacts expired.) The starting salary for a Paramedic is $37,346, and it is $27,295 for an EMT. The contracts covering Local 2507 and Local 3621, which represents EMS officers, expired on June 30, 2006, and they have been operating under the terms of those out-of-date agreements since then. The unions are headed to arbitration for their next contracts.

Local 2507 spokesman Bob Ungar rejected the notion that the union had "prevailed," adding that the contract was settled through negotiation, not through arbitration.

'Hurting At Both Ends'

"The union was left with really no choice in the last negotiation," he said. "The choice was lower the starting pay or lose even more of the most-experienced members. The problem is that the entire scale for EMTs and Paramedics needs to go up, the top and the bottom. On the one way, you have a terrible recruitment problem. On the other end you have a terrible retention problem. The current salary structure is actually an inducement to leave EMS and go to Sanitation, Fire, Police, or Correction, where salaries have been historically better."

Mr. Gribbon said that while EMS will be missing 121 EMTs this summer it will have 60 more Paramedics than it did last summer and will address the EMS shortage with overtime workers.

"The Fire Department wants to return to the days when EMTs and Paramedics were forced to work an extensive number of hours every week," Mr. Ungar said. "One problem with this is that you don't want to be the last patient treated by a Paramedic who has been working for 65 hours. In this profession, you can't burn out your employees. The decisions they make under combat-like conditions have life-saving or life-threatening potential."

Mr. Gribbon retorted, "In this line of work, you have to expect to be asked to work additional hours. They are going to be asked at times to work beyond the nine-to-five desk job. There's nothing new whatsoever. I don't agree that employees can't handle it."

Forum Member

Default Package

Hey I recd my package today as well high 1300's. My question is did you guys go for the medical and Cpat before the interview? My interciew is wscheduled for Friday July 11th. How long after interview will medical and cpat be? I know that I need to keep training but I don't want to be one of those who fails the step mill. I work better under pressure to know that hey I only have say 10 weeks or so. Thanks for your help.

Forum Member

Default pre-academy run

i have also been told by my investigator that the 1.5 mile run will be in the next 2 weeks or so as part of out medical portion of this process. Then letters will be going out around the same time(2 weeks) for the academy. More confusion.

4xx

Forum Member

Good luck with the run boys(and girls), leave it all on the pavement, you are literally running for the best job in the world! Can't wait for my shot.

17xx and still nothing in the mail, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by jemixxnyc View Post
    Good luck with the run boys(and girls), leave it all on the pavement, you are literally running for the best job in the world! Can't wait for my shot.

17xx and still nothing in the mail, btw.

Yeah nothing in the mail yet ....

FLA1786
    Firehouse.com Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SkylinePCG View Post
    It might be close to 121 people trying, but I have to think the number includes people like one of my partners
    Sent you a PM

Forum Member

got my packet today in the mail. # mid 1400's

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jemixxnyc View Post
    leave it all on the pavement
    Its gravel really. Its also a really nice run, right by the water...

Quote Originally Posted by LongCut View Post
    got my packet today in the mail. # mid 1400's
    Hey long cut could you give us a idea what's in the packet?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoomBahtz6019 View Post
    Hey anchor, did you get a whole packet or a letter about the CPAT? Or both? Or are they both the same thing and I'm just confused? Oh God I don't know if I'm confused!!
    Its a packet with a whole bunch of papers you have to fill out and bring down to metrotech on the assigned date given in the letter. Asks you to get all papers you need like your residency proof's, high school diploma, birth cirtificate, and a whole bunch of other stuff. I havent looked through it all yet but i didn't see a paper about the CPAT i doubt that will be sent out until after the going down to metrotech part is done.
    List # 13**

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorC View Post
    Its a packet with a whole bunch of papers you have to fill out and bring down to metrotech on the assigned date given in the letter. Asks you to get all papers you need like your residency proof's, high school diploma, birth cirtificate, and a whole bunch of other stuff. I havent looked through it all yet but i didn't see a paper about the CPAT i doubt that will be sent out until after the going down to metrotech part is done.
    I was just wondering cuz I saw that people in the 1300's were getting something about the CPAT prep course...
    Last edited by BoomBahtz6019; 05-21-2008 at 09:09 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SkylinePCG View Post
    Its gravel really. Its also a really nice run, right by the water...

actually it is not on gravel anymore! they are doing extensive work on that field and therefore will be on the street along the park, under the expressway, over towards icahn stadium and around the stadium. Not a bad run but its not a gimme by any standards!

Plus if I remember correctly, some of those who ran it at the end of last class said part of the course had a slight incline.
    Make sure your running includes some hills folks.

Forum Member

I stand corrected. Good to know.

Forum Member

Do your selves a major favor. I decided to really push myself today and mix in a lot more sprints and more hills then I have in some time and well I should have taken my own advise. Get a GOOD pair of running shoes. Trust me the pain after this session has taught me that cheaping out is one of the worse things I have ever done.

1XX

Forum Member

Since they are doing the run early are they also doing the pull ups, push ups, and situps or just the run because thats the only thing they can boot you for

Forum Member

Default Review Board

Whats Going On Guys. I Dont Know If I Posted This Already Or Not. Anyway I Was Told By My Investigator That They Will Be Holding The Review Board This Friday To Decide The Fate Of The Guys Who Had Any Type Of Arrest Or Run Ins With The Law. So If U Had A Summons Or Arrest Of Any Type Ur Paperwork Is Going Up For Review This Friday. Its A Panel Of High Ranking Guys On The Job Already And Some Human Resources People Who Decide. So If U Fall In This Category Ur Fate Will Be Decided This Friday. They Hire Guys On Stips So If U Have Minor Stuff Dont Worry U Can Still Get The Job. My Question Is, Do U Guys Think My 1 Arrest I Have For Marijuana Will Dq Me From Employment? Do Any Of U Guys Know Somebody On The Job Thats Be Hired With A Stip Or On A Condition Because Of A Past Incident. Other Than That Letters Start Going Out 1st Week Of June. Guys Whos Getting The Job Will Receive Their Letters Before Guys Who Arent So If U Dont Recieve A Letter By June 29th Ur Outta Luck. I Wish Every Body Good Luck And I Pray For Everybody Who Really Wants This Job As Much As I Do.

Thread Information