Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

  1. #12326
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    People got the ears of one or several city council members and convinced them that there should be a loophole in 2000 to help the many people who took 6019 and had a reasonable chance of getting canvassed, but would now be too old for 2000. I'm pretty sure there is probably information about it on this forum in this thread, or the 2000 thread, or on the fdny rant. Look there for more specifics. i personally think the age range could be raised, since they have very strict medical/physical standards, however it takes action from the city, and that is no small task.

    Who will sign a petition for list 6019 age extension that will be presented to the politicians.

  2. #12327
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Center of the Universe
    Posts
    372

    Default

    Candidates who took 6019 received an age extension allowing otherwise unqualified candidates -due to age- to take 2000
    To Persist is to Conquer.

  3. #12328
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,085

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SkylinePCG View Post
    Candidates who took 6019 received an age extension allowing otherwise unqualified candidates -due to age- to take 2000
    He's looking for more because he didn't do well enough on 2000, and only now would be eligible for a future promotional exam.

  4. #12329
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Bed-Stuy Brooklyn
    Posts
    220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 6019Victim View Post
    Who will sign a petition for list 6019 age extension that will be presented to the politicians.
    I can tell you right now that's a losing battle. You have to go to a hearing and present your case as to why you feel you deserve an age extension, not just get a petition signed. You have to present facts and show that due to no fault of your own you were made ineligible to be hired as was the case with many who took 6019. The fact that you took the next OC test and didn't do well makes you seem as if your bitter cause you didn't do well enough to get hired from exam 2000.
    I'm guessing you still have a shot thru the promo process?
    Just be thankful you still have a opportunity to get OTJ, some people don't even have that hope left who took 6019.

  5. #12330
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by remoray229 View Post
    i cant believe it. I was 600 on 6019, scoring a 101.45. I am now 14000 and somehow i scored a 95. It feels like somebody close to me has died and nothing i have done has been able to make me feel any better.

    6-years, more than half of my twenties i spent in dedicated pursuit of this dream and now the dream is over.

    The Vulcans are scum....I pray karma exists so that they can pay for the suffering theyve caused.
    You got that right!!! And I am a minority! Discrimination definitely existed in the 60's and 70's...diminishing in the Dept in the 80's. Exam #6019 did not have anything to do with this lawsuit and yet it was cancelled. I personally feel that the discrimination lies in those parents who did not raise their children with a "I CAN" attitude; therefore discriminating and pre-determining their future. The Vulcan society members who filed this lawsuit are FDNY members and yet they still are crying discrimination. I am tired of hearing all that BS pertaining to this subject. How about studying and working your *** off! The Vulcan society will be at the mercy of karma; it is inevitable. They hurt the cause of hundreds who were a foot away of realizing they're dreams!!!

  6. #12331
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Haha guys I am not bitter bc I didn't do well on exam 2000. Lets not get cocky bc we have low list numbers. A score of 92% is well over a passing grade. die to the fact theres 42,000 people on the list unfortunateky that score gives you a high list number. My argument here is that since 6019 was thrown out and an age extension was made for candidates to take exam 2000 due to an age extension if they were over the age 29. It just doesn't make sense for it to only be extended for one exam. If you took exam 6019 your age should be extended to 36 period, not just for one exam 2000. Bc of 6019 I was cheated of 5 years. I was 23 when I took 6019. I was 28 when I took 2000. The age extension did not apply to me. Technically over that course of 5 years I should of had 2 shots and 2 exams. I was cheated down to one. By allowing the age extension for for 6019 candidates would give me that second shot that was taken away from me from 6019. Just like manhattan medic said with the high physical and medical standards it should not be a problem. If your qualified for the job then your qualified.

  7. #12332
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 6019Victim View Post
    Haha guys I am not bitter bc I didn't do well on exam 2000. Lets not get cocky bc we have low list numbers. A score of 92% is well over a passing grade. die to the fact theres 42,000 people on the list unfortunateky that score gives you a high list number. My argument here is that since 6019 was thrown out and an age extension was made for candidates to take exam 2000 due to an age extension if they were over the age 29. It just doesn't make sense for it to only be extended for one exam. If you took exam 6019 your age should be extended to 36 period, not just for one exam 2000. Bc of 6019 I was cheated of 5 years. I was 23 when I took 6019. I was 28 when I took 2000. The age extension did not apply to me. Technically over that course of 5 years I should of had 2 shots and 2 exams. I was cheated down to one. By allowing the age extension for for 6019 candidates would give me that second shot that was taken away from me from 6019. Just like manhattan medic said with the high physical and medical standards it should not be a problem. If your qualified for the job then your qualified.
    Where were you when the original extension was being pushed for???

    Your name says it all. Your idea might have been a decent then, but now it just looks as if you $h*t the bed on 2000 so you're gonna do whatever you can in an attempt to rectify YOUR situation.

    In a way, I don't blame you, but this battle already took place years ago and was won by a great group of 6019 candidates.
    sffdnyhopeful09 likes this.

  8. #12333
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grok350 View Post
    i dont know how people did worse on an easier test. 4xxx on 6019 and 2000 was extremely easy. Definitely sucks, but I just dont get it for those that did so well on 6019.
    There's nothing to get besides knowing how exam 2000 was graded. DCAS has yet to reveal that. It seems as if you "lied through your teeth" you got a good score on 2000 bc all the "survey questions " or physiological questions at the end of the exam were graded. In fact it seems as if they were graded with equal weight to the reading comprehension questions in the first part of the exam. Either way it's just ridiculous of an exam. Nothing we can do about it now. Hopefully exam 2000 gets axed so these cocky guys with low list numbers can feel the pain of our dreams being shot down. Anyway all 6019 candidates should have the opportunity of taking an open competitive or promotional exam until the age of 36. It does not make sense nor it is fair to have it written on one NOE when it didn't apply to all who took 6019

  9. #12334
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 6019Victim View Post
    Hopefully exam 2000 gets axed so these cocky guys with low list numbers can feel the pain of our dreams being shot down.
    What kind of attitude is that... And you say you aren't bitter.

    For what it's worth, 6019 had its fair share of bs survey questions that people complained about too.

  10. #12335
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,085

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 6019Victim View Post
    Hopefully exam 2000 gets axed so these cocky guys with low list numbers can feel the pain of our dreams being shot down. Anyway all 6019 candidates should have the opportunity of taking an open competitive or promotional exam until the age of 36. It does not make sense nor it is fair to have it written on one NOE when it didn't apply to all who took 6019
    Wow. I mean... wow. You are just plain sad, bitter, and ignorant. As GIMMEFIRE said, the battle was fought a few years ago, and it would appear that you weren't around at all because you probably didn't care at the time. It's hard to be taken seriously when you only started voicing your great opposition after you lost your chance at the job.

    The worst part is that some senior EMTs are going to have to put up with your bitter *** when you get out of the EMS academy and I'm sure you will be a treat to work with.
    grok350 likes this.

  11. #12336
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Lol chill out. I'm well liked by everyone who surrounds me. Everyone handles their stress and angers differently. If your not in the same situation you have no right to judge someone. I

  12. #12337
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    56

    Default

    6019victim, i tried messeging you but it says you have your personal messeges off.

  13. #12338
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Happy New Years to all.
    Would like to know what's the current status on exam 6019? Are we filing a lawsuit or what?

  14. #12339
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3

    Default Long overdue hello: My story

    I would like to begin by thanking you all for keeping me informed and optimistic throughout these times of ambiguous explanations and ridiculous rulings. Without this forum I don’t know what would have kept me hopeful for so long. I would also like to thank Merit Matters for their direct impact on the events that have passed, and for pushing the ideals that will secure our future and that of the people of New York. I would like to apologize for, and state that I do regret, not joining sooner so as to contribute more to the cause. Though I have met some of you in person, I would like to once and for all put my story out in the open…partly because you’re the only ones who can relate…and partly because misery loves company and my story may help ease the overall crapulence of the individual situations we all wallow in. I will begin where we all did. I signed up for exam 6019 (and only 6019 because the FDNY was the only city department I truly wanted to be a part of). I went to all the test prep, and took the same exam that we all took. Despite the randomness of the questions when compared to the more relevant job specific questions with which we studied, I emphasize that they were the same common sense oriented questions that everyone on the list was forced to answer. How those questions can be accused of failing to measure a potential candidate’s aptitude, and yet succeed at discriminating based on the color of their skin is a concept as lacking in logic as proof, but I will stop there in order to keep from ranting on this matter just yet. I received no wake up call or test site transportation, and had no military credit, only residential…and managed to place in the low 200’s of the list.
    Taking into account the Vulcan argument posed as the premise of the case, apparently I had stayed out of the sun long enough to do well on the exam, and my skin color had not fully diminished my reading, writing, or cognitive abilities in spite of my ethnic bloodline…yes, I am a minority.
    I continued through the process, going to the rock for physical training well beyond what was needed for the CPAT, improving as necessary and excelling at it. I passed the CPAT and the medical thanks to that training and the encouragement of the instructors who, while it hurts me to need to specify this, never gave off the slightest vibe of unfairness, racism, or negativity.
    I waited patiently; checking in regularly to make sure everything was in order for my investigation. I had received laser eye surgery, checked in, and was under the impression that I was in the clear. While I had been told that a driver’s license was necessary before graduating from the academy, and believed that my investigator would have told me if I required it before then (considering my constant contact with him)…I was in fact wrong to deduce anything of he sort. I received a phone call from my investigator on June 3rd saying that if I did not get a drivers license immediately I would not be able to enter the academy as part of the first class (or, as time has since shown, at all).
    Immediately contacting the Department of Motor Vehicles, I arranged the earliest appointment available, June 17th. While cutting it close, I would have made it had I not had the misfortune of having my ID checked by a DMV official who was as observant as he was disgruntled. It was brought to my attention that my permit still said that I required glasses. Despite my explanation regarding the laser eye surgery, the time limit for the FDNY, the fact that I still happened to have the receipt in my jacket pocket, and my willingness to take an eye exam (or even borrow a pair of glasses for the sake of it); no amount of pleading made a difference…he would not let me take the exam. My dreams seemed to shatter in an instant at the hand of a man who was merely sick of his career and had no qualms with helping me share his fate.
    But what kind of a candidate would I be if I had given up so easily? I immediately called the DMV and told everyone I could of my situation. After about an hour and half a dozen sympathetic DMV associates (they do exist), I was put on the phone with a higher up who was willing to schedule me an emergency exam for Friday, June 27…a miracle for scheduling a drivers test. I called my investigator and told him the situation, and was even put on the phone with a higher up; being told that so long as I passed all should be well.
    This is where it would be assumed that I failed to pass the test thanks to some angry instructor, but no, I in fact passed and was all too excited that through persistence I had persevered. Only the call to my investigator could ruin the elation I had achieved. I was told that the mile and a half run (which I would have had no problem passing thanks to the trainers at the rock) had already been given earlier in the week, and I would not be allowed to enter the class. I asked if there was anything I could do, and was simply told to keep in shape and stay out of trouble…words we have all come to dread by now.
    I kept in shape, passing the run for the January class, and looked forward to being sworn in when I awoke to a phone call from the mayor’s office stating that hiring would be “postponed indefinitely”. Remaining as steadfast as possible after having my dream dissolved before me yet again, I waited patiently for my next opportunity. I believed the budget issues would work themselves out for the sake of public safety, and the city would hire in the near future…not realizing that the next hiring freeze would embody a complete disregard for public safety, let alone our individual struggles.
    I have kept up with the case and judge’s ignorance toward logic and reason, wondering more than anything how a blatant disregard for the ideals of justice itself can be excused for the sake of “righting” a proposed wrong in spite of an utter lack of proof that a wrong was done in the first place.
    As a side note, I have yet to find out how often a missing drivers license is implemented as a strict requirement for beginning the academy, and do still wonder how many others have been held back due to enforcement of the rule. I also find it strange that despite the likelihood of my passing a simple driving test, I was not allowed to run that week, which was ultimately the cause of my rejection. Rumors about injured or deferred candidates being replaced by other candidates in the early weeks, while a grim prospect, were also left unverified. I would appreciate any information with regards to procedure in any such matters, and look forward to being another voiced story added to the cause. While I still want to fight for my dream career, I want to fight even harder for its ideals, even if that means sacrificing my own opportunity for such a cause. The FDNY should be known as a profession that hires the best to protect this beautiful and diverse city from dangers that threaten the lives of everyone indiscriminately. I know many of you agree, and I want to be a part of it all.
    Thank you all for your time and patience.

  15. #12340
    MembersZone Subscriber
    ffbam24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,482

    Default

    It's in there: http://www.nyc.gov/html/fdny/html/co...q_080106.shtml

    The background investigators are there usually the first day or two of the academy to visually confirm that EVERYONE has their New York State Driver's License.

    I admire your perserverance, but you dropped the ball. It wasn't someone elses responsibility to keep you apprised of all the requirements and timelines.

    There are other departments out there. Lots of great ones. Don't let this be your "be all, end all" if you truly wish to serve.

    Good luck,
    bam

  16. #12341
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Thank you bam, youve been a consistent and intelligent poster on this forum for a long time. Perhaps I missed the info, but all I saw/see is that you need one before appointment. Furthermore i had the license before the class, but was not told the date of the run, and just dont see what damage my running could have done. I just thought that the year of investigation and my direct questions regarding the matter might have triggered something in my investigators memory some time before June. I dont blame anyone but myself for not preemptively addressing the issue, but also see it as a criteria that should have been noticed and brought to my attention ( as the investigators do with any other missing requirements) while I carefully completed all other requirements. I failed to get the license in time for the run, but I had it on the 27th, before the first day of academy, and would have had it sooner if I had been told I needed it. Nonetheless, I respect and appreciate the help given by my investigator and know that my current unemployment is an issue brought about by this selfish and racist court case. The case itself is an insult to minorities everywhere, and the candidates with stories like mine who earned their chance at the academy and a career that means more than anything to them. It threatens a department that needs to be at its best to protect the city and people we all love.

  17. #12342
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDNY List 6019 View Post
    Thank you bam, youve been a consistent and intelligent poster on this forum for a long time. Perhaps I missed the info, but all I saw/see is that you need one before appointment. Furthermore i had the license before the class, but was not told the date of the run, and just dont see what damage my running could have done. I just thought that the year of investigation and my direct questions regarding the matter might have triggered something in my investigators memory some time before June. I dont blame anyone but myself for not preemptively addressing the issue, but also see it as a criteria that should have been noticed and brought to my attention ( as the investigators do with any other missing requirements) while I carefully completed all other requirements. I failed to get the license in time for the run, but I had it on the 27th, before the first day of academy, and would have had it sooner if I had been told I needed it. Nonetheless, I respect and appreciate the help given by my investigator and know that my current unemployment is an issue brought about by this selfish and racist court case. The case itself is an insult to minorities everywhere, and the candidates with stories like mine who earned their chance at the academy and a career that means more than anything to them. It threatens a department that needs to be at its best to protect the city and people we all love.
    Did you take 2000?

  18. #12343
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Absolutely. I couldnt give up the opportunity. I unfortunately did not do as well on 2000. Being honest about things like a single unexcused absence in my senior year of highschool apparently makes me unfit to be a firefighter. If I only knew the ability to blatantly lie was a quality the vulcan test makers sought in a candidate. Nonetheless, I know that 2000 did hold on to some great candidates from 6019 and hope the people who make it understand and appreciate the chance they have won, working beyond their best to earn their place.

  19. #12344
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    13

    Default

    can someone shed some light on what happened today with the city winning the appeal. I know it says that the way FD will be hiring has been revised... what does this mean? does this mean that they might reinstate 6019???? wishful thinking but you never know!!

  20. #12345
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,085

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by keep6019alive View Post
    can someone shed some light on what happened today with the city winning the appeal. I know it says that the way FD will be hiring has been revised... what does this mean? does this mean that they might reinstate 6019???? wishful thinking but you never know!!
    Why don't you read the thread pertaining to 2000? There's a ton of activity in there about today's ruling.

    Also, to be blunt, no they won't, it's not happening.

  21. #12346
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by keep6019alive View Post
    can someone shed some light on what happened today with the city winning the appeal. I know it says that the way FD will be hiring has been revised... what does this mean? does this mean that they might reinstate 6019???? wishful thinking but you never know!!
    Not gonna happen.

  22. #12347
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Any candidate from List 6019 that passed the run in December 2008 and was given an offer of employment to begin the fire academy and who wishes to join me in a class action suit, please private message or email me (chris.fdny6019@gmail.com) with your information (name, address, email, phone and list #). We have sat in silence long enough.
    -Chris 6019-7xx
    Last edited by chris_6019-7xx; 07-11-2013 at 07:11 PM. Reason: *change in email address

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 3 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. FDNY Test 6019-Union Square Protest
    By exp1isastreet in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-26-2010, 10:31 PM
  2. List #6019
    By ffbam24 in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 03-30-2008, 08:59 PM
  3. FDNY List #6019
    By MailBox123 in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-22-2007, 06:54 PM
  4. FDNY Exam #6019????
    By HouyBoy in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-11-2007, 10:50 AM
  5. FDNY Exam #6019-John Jay College Forum
    By exp1isastreet in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-22-2007, 03:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register