Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 497 of 618 FirstFirst ... 397447487494495496497498499500507547597 ... LastLast
Results 9,921 to 9,940 of 12347
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FairHiringFDNY View Post
    I emailed and called. The secretary said that she would get back to me but was very busy.
    Thanks. I think she could be a HUGE asset for this group. I will let you know if she gets back to me.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 0311ico View Post
    You have to bring your DD-214 to DCAS as well as your fdny testing info and scores. Good luck with DCAS because they take FOREVER getting anything done. I got out in Nov 07 it took them 6 months just to get my special military letter and I called every day to harass them. Thats how i ended up missing out on the July 08 class. If they take forever in getting the letter done just threaten to call the DCAS commissioner or start e-mailing anyone you can that will help. That seems to be the only thing that works. Go raise hell about it you rate that sh!* lol
    Thanks for the info! Do you know if I can take my current orders up there? I'm still active duty, and will be through March 2012 or so. Thanks again for your help!

Forum Member

Deleting posts and account.
    Last edited by FairHiringFDNY; 08-19-2011 at 05:34 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by eodcheese View Post
    Thanks for the info! Do you know if I can take my current orders up there? I'm still active duty, and will be through March 2012 or so. Thanks again for your help!
    I'm not sure but i think they might not give you the letter if your not off active duty. Just get down there and talk to someone anyway because i could be wrong on that. The FDNY can't do a thing for you until you have that letter and your out of DCAS hands. I remember sitting on a mountain in the Korengal valley in 05 reading a letter from my dad that said you passed the written and physical thinking im gonna be fdny the second i get home. You see how that goes lol! Start saving your terminal leave up like crazy because you have no idea whats gonna happen in the future and you wanna be able to do all the running around when you've got the time. Also I was in contact with a Marge Praether who helped me out a ton when i was out of DCAS. If you need I can get you her number just let me know.

Forum Member

Mrs Praether has retired. She was an awesome person who helped almost every guy I know on the list.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FairHiringFDNY View Post
    I'm not military but EOD always call candidate investigations first. They have the best info in regards to the list. They may also be an asset in assisting with DCAS. They are very pro-vet at CID.

Thanks for your service bro. Got a brother in EOD. You guys do some amazing work.
    Thanks for your info and for your kind words!

I'm not sure but i think they might not give you the letter if your not off active duty. Just get down there and talk to someone anyway because i could be wrong on that. The FDNY can't do a thing for you until you have that letter and your out of DCAS hands. I remember sitting on a mountain in the Korengal valley in 05 reading a letter from my dad that said you passed the written and physical thinking im gonna be fdny the second i get home. You see how that goes lol! Start saving your terminal leave up like crazy because you have no idea whats gonna happen in the future and you wanna be able to do all the running around when you've got the time. Also I was in contact with a Marge Praether who helped me out a ton when i was out of DCAS. If you need I can get you her number just let me know.
    Thanks for your info! I think I'll take a day of leave sometime and run up to NYC to pound on some doors... I'll leave the C4 here though! Haha!

Forum Member

Default fdny

Forum Member

Does anyone live in Community District 45 in Brooklyn? We were told that by his chief of staff that councilman Juumane Williams there to support the bill if we have someone from his district contact him. In addition to supporting the bill he will also weigh in on the other council members to make sure we get the needed 25 votes from council in order to pass the age extension. So if you are out there please let us know. U can reply back or PM me! Thanx!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yen4fire View Post
    Does anyone live in Community District 45 in Brooklyn? We were told that by his chief of staff that councilman Juumane Williams there to support the bill if we have someone from his district contact him. In addition to supporting the bill he will also weigh in on the other council members to make sure we get the needed 25 votes from council in order to pass the age extension. So if you are out there please let us know. U can reply back or PM me! Thanx!
    They want someone who actually lives in district 45? Just a candidate who lives in brooklyn wont do? if you dont find anyone let me know and we'll get an email going out to everyone until we find someone who lives there.

Forum Member

yeah it would b preferable to have someone in their district, but you don't have to live in that council's district to get support but it does help. Also we've noticed you get waaaay bettere results speaking to them in person than sending letters so if you have the chance to stop in and drop off your letter instead, its an excellent opportunity to speak with your council member and more likely to get their full attention and support.

Keep in mind that this must be done in all 5 boros. And its on our list of things to do for this fight, boro by boro. But if you live in manhattan if anyone does, please go to your council member for support. I don't think I've met anyone else or came across anyone who does yet.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yen4fire View Post
    yeah it would b preferable to have someone in their district, but you don't have to live in that council's district to get support but it does help. Also we've noticed you get waaaay bettere results speaking to them in person than sending letters so if you have the chance to stop in and drop off your letter instead, its an excellent opportunity to speak with your council member and more likely to get their full attention and support.

Keep in mind that this must be done in all 5 boros. And its on our list of things to do for this fight, boro by boro. But if you live in manhattan if anyone does, please go to your council member for support. I don't think I've met anyone else or came across anyone who does yet.
    We have at least 2 members who live in manhattan, but I believe both live in Garodnicks district and he already supports us and wrote to bloomberg for support. I know one of them is having friends who live in other parts of manhattan and around the city send out letters to their own council members to support us.

anyone who wants to find someone to visit offices with please send an email to 6019AgeExtension@gmail.com and mention what borough you live in (or just want to go to even if you dont live there) and we can get people together to do this.

Forum Member

I contacted councilwoman debbie rose's office twice. Once in august by phone when the list was 1st enjoined and a 2nd time via fax. I faxed a letter and a copy of vallone's age extension proposal. I have not had a response. If you are apart of her district in staten island, get at her. Hearing it from more than one person may get a reaction.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by StuckInLimbo View Post
    We have at least 2 members who live in manhattan, but I believe both live in Garodnicks district and he already supports us and wrote to bloomberg for support. I know one of them is having friends who live in other parts of manhattan and around the city send out letters to their own council members to support us.

anyone who wants to find someone to visit offices with please send an email to 6019AgeExtension@gmail.com and mention what borough you live in (or just want to go to even if you dont live there) and we can get people together to do this.

I live in councilwoman Christine Quinn's district (hell's kitchen). And she is the speaker who has been known to get things passed if she wants to (term limits anyone??). I have spoken to one of her legislative aides that has been in contact with me a couple times. I recently sent her the legislation proposal, so we'll see what happens with that. She hadn't known about it until I sent it to her. I'll keep you updated for sure....

Forum Member

I I remember sitting on a mountain in the Korengal valley in 05 reading a letter from my dad that said you passed the written and physical thinking im gonna be fdny
    I just read war, by sebastian junger, heavy book. sounds like restrepo was a tough place, flea collars on the belt type stuff. pm me about that.i was in kandahar in early 02. it was still mud huts and all mined out, my buddy almost grabbed an antipers mine thinking it was a can of copenhagen. we stepped right over it. I supported the 187 INF in the one o' one. how was it out where you were?

Forum Member

Just ran into a friend who has been on the job for a while now. His reaction was just like everyone else on the job, they are all pulling for us. He also brought up a very good point. Not sure if it is valid, and I will look further into it, but he mentioned that our test questions were created by minorities. This is something that I think we should further investigate. If this is true we may have some more clout to add to our fight.

Forum Member

This is an old article but its relevant to the age extension issue and these particular city council members.

FDNY Deputy Chief Blasts 'Forced Diversity'

Queens Chronicle 2/11/10

<B>Backing the ruling are Vulcans president John Coombs, left, council members Sara Gonzalez; and Ydanis Rodriguez, Vulcans former president Paul Washington; and council members Robert Jackson, Leroy Comrie, Jimmy Van Bramer, Margaret Chin, Peter Koo and

Backing the ruling are Vulcans president John Coombs, left, council members Sara Gonzalez; and Ydanis Rodriguez, Vulcans former president Paul Washington; and council members Robert Jackson, Leroy Comrie, Jimmy Van Bramer, Margaret Chin, Peter Koo

Martin Luther King Jr. dreamed of a world in which his children would be judged “not by the color of their skin but by the content of their character,” but a recent court ruling aimed at increasing diversity in the FDNY actually upends that goal, one Fire Department official said this week.
    “They do not have an understanding of what it takes to be a firefighter in the 21st Century,” said Paul Mannix, an FDNY deputy chief with Division 6 in the Bronx, who grew up in Whitestone. Mannix recently founded Merit Matters, an advocacy group “dedicated to preserving merit in the FDNY testing, hiring and promotion process.” The group opposes any racial hiring quotas for firefighters, which the city may be forced to implement.
    Last month, U.S. District Court Judge Nicholas Garaufis ruled that written exams administered to FDNY applicants in 1999 and 2002 were invalid because they only tested cognitive skills — reading and written comprehension, while oral comprehension and oral expression were largely ignored. The result was a large disparity between white and minority applicants’ successes.
    Now the judge may force the city to hire three minorities for every two new white firefighters.
    “How does a written test know what color you are?,” Mannix asked, noting that he is speaking as an individual, not for the department. “The job of a firefighter is consistently evolving. There are always new procedures, equipment and challenges that require you to know how to read.”
    Those new challenges, according to Mannix, include dealing with terrorism-related issues and medical emergencies; servicing radiation and carbon monoxide detectors; and using new pieces of equipment such as life-saving ropes and fire window blankets.
    “We are not advocating that you have to be functionally illiterate to be a firefighter,” said Darius Charney, an attorney representing the Vulcan Society, a fraternal order of black firefighters and the plaintiffs in the case. But he added, “The reading level required is way lower than what they test for, which is at a mid-college level.”
    Charney says his organization, the Center for Constitutional Rights, surveyed and deposed dozens of FDNY firefighters of various ranks, many of them white, to determine which skills are most important to the job. Oral communication skills and the ability to follow directions overwhelmingly topped the list.
    Charney explained that other skills related to understanding the science of fires as well as how to handle radiological and biological attacks are taught during fire academy training.
    Mannix disagreed and placed great importance on reading comprehension. He says he studied diligently for three years in order to acquire the necessary knowledge to be promoted to lieutenant. “I walked around with a milk crate full of books,” he said. “I studied everything from the mundane to the highly technical.”
    He suggests that applicants who are having difficulties passing the FDNY’s written exam invest in tutoring, prep courses or other resources aimed at improving test scores. Charney, however, does not believe that is a feasible solution.
    “Most of the applicants come from outside of New York City,” he said. “Schools in the suburbs are superior to schools in the city. That’s just a fact. So, unless you fix the public education system, there is going to be a disparity between how whites score on standardized tests as opposed to blacks and Hispanics.”
    If the city does not appeal the judge’s ruling, it will be forced to create a new exam; establish a process for the victims to receive monetary compensation and retroactive seniority; and institute priority hiring — selecting two blacks and one Hispanic from a designated pool as part of every five new individuals hired.
    Mannix fears the ruling could snowball into a myriad of detrimental consequences. He believes it would add underqualified individuals to the force making the job more dangerous. And, he says, it will create a sense of resentment within the firehouse, especially if these same individuals are promoted over more competent white counterparts.
    Charney says that since the questionable exams did not accurately test the skills necessary to be a firefighter it is unfair to assume that the unchosen applicants are unqualified, though he acknowledges that the judge’s ruling may cause resentment.
    “They may be under the impression that this is just a group of black people who are looking for a free ride, but that is not what this is about,” Charney said. “This is about fixing the testing system to accurately measure who is qualified for the job.”
    In order to correct that misconception, he believes everyone in the Fire Department from captains to officers should provide support for minority employees in order to protect them from being subjected to a hostile work environment.
    Mannix, meanwhile, hopes to spread his message by expanding Merit Matters nationwide. The organization will continue to tackle FDNY issues, refute what it sees as false claims, seek help from outside agencies when needed, engage the public through the use of the media and demand equal treatment for all.
    “We believe in equal opportunity, not guaranteed results,” says the group on its website. “We want standards to be high, meaningful, equally applied and blind to race, gender or ethnicity. Written and physical exams should ensure that the most applicants are chosen; they should not be designed to have as many applicants as possible pass.”
    Members of the New York City Council’s Black, Latino and Asian Caucus held a press conference at City Hall on Feb. 3 urging the mayor to let the judge’s ruling stand.
    It’s time for Mayor Bloomberg to act,” Paul Washington, former president of the Vulcan Society, said in a statement. “He can either be remembered as the mayor who helped integrate FDNY or as the mayor who tried and failed to stop FDNY’s integration. Either way, 145 years of an all-white Fire Department will almost certainly be coming to a close.”
    Bloomberg declined to comment about the FDNY case or whether the city would appeal the judge’s decision, though Stu Loeser, the mayor’s press secretary, offered the following statement: “The Fire Department is justifiably proud that their outreach work led to minorities now being more than one out of every three people on the list to be hired as firefighters.”
    In another effort to promote diversity within the FDNY, City Councilman Leroy Comrie (D-St. Albans) who also attended Wednesday’s press conference, has re-introduced legislation that would give any firefighter candidate who has a diploma or GED from a city high school or testing center an additional eight-point credit on the exam.
    “Despite the advances our society has made from the White House to the Supreme Court, there are still challenges and hurdles that have to be overcome with respect to color barriers,” Comrie said in a prepared statement. “In New York City and in Albany, an ugly stain has been perpetuated, and it is incumbent for people of goodwill to stand up and say this is wrong.”
    Mannix disagrees with the eight-point credit, which when combined with a residency credit would give an applicant a 13 point advantage. “That’s astronomical,” he said. “We’re chipping away at standards.”
    He said that is especially true because the 2007 test, was “designed to get as many applicants as possible to pass,” according to information given to Mannix by an unnamed FDNY source.
    The remedy phase of the case, which will establish a road map for how the dispute should be resolved, will begin in U.S. District Court in Brooklyn on Feb. 16. Charney is “fairly certain” the city will appeal the judge’s decision when given the opportunity.
    “This is a fairly complicated case and will go on for months,” Charney said.
    Washington, however, hopes the case will proceed swiftly. “We need to stop being in denial and accept what’s been decided and move forward,” he said. “It has been confirmed by independent groups who have no axe to grind with the city.”
    Last edited by StuckInLimbo; 10-29-2010 at 07:08 AM.

Forum Member

unfortunately there are clearly city council members who support the vulcans lawsuit, so those are the ones we will need to convince to support the age extension more than anyone else. Ydanis Rodriguez of district 10 is on the Fire and Criminal Justice Committee. I'm in the process of trying to find someone who lives in that district to write a letter. If any of our minority candidates wish to contact this council member that may help as well.

Forum Member

http://blogs.wsj.com/metropolis/2010...rical-workers/

This is getting a little ridiculous don't you think.

Forum Member

just came across a Firefighter job posting up in weschester county

http://www.westchestergov.com/hr/onl...E/OC/62909.htm

Forum Member

Last edited by FairHiringFDNY; 08-08-2011 at 11:46 PM.

Thread Information