Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

Default List No. 6019

If your score is in the 83XX range what are your chances of being called during the four year period that the list will be active?

Forum Member

if anyone can beat the pats this year it's going to be the g-men. i mean come on, look at that reg. season game they had! the pats are much more fundamentally sound than the g-men but i think the g-men have the heart of champions and will do whatever it takes to win. if they play smart and keep the penalties down like they've been doing they will be gold! like coach said, throw your heart over the wall and the body will follow. i got the giants 3 over the pats! PAY OUT BABY PAY OUT!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Prep

Hello All,

Info on the Prep Session!

First off you can not be let into the rock till 15 minutes before the start of the class so dont show up real early you will just have to just wait in the parking lot. We got there at 6 took about an hour to get checked in then we split up and did a rotation of watching the CPAT info video, meeting the faternal organiztions, and a quick walk though all the events set up at the Rock.
    At the end you sign up for a day to come and work out. You only get one day and you cant come to any other days. They are Mon - Thrus from 1800-2200.
    Saturday and Sunday's two sessions at 0800 - 1200 then 1300 - 1700.
    Though out the night they let you ask questions about pretty much anything and are pretty good about getting you an answer if they dont know. IMPORTANT INFORMATION!!!!
    The work out session sign up is first come first serve so the later in the week you go the more likely a date may be full. Just a thought if you can make a earlier date might want to change it!!

For all of you fretting about the CPAT the info given last night said that Per the new CPAT rules you will get TWO practice sessions at the course with DCAS set to spec then you will have your "OFFICIAL" CPAT. The FDNY to save money is saying if you pass any one of those you PASS the CPAT. So in reality you have three chances to pass the test. We were told each chance will be given on a seperate date but proably in a short time span of 1 to 2 weeks. So if you fail because you dont have the wind or strength you wont have much time to improve yourself before your next try.
    Last edited by ant195; 01-23-2008 at 08:49 AM.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with the poor timid spirits, who know neither victory nor defeat." FDR

Forum Member

Default Possibly stupid question

So I've been reading up on the CPAT, and I'm a little unclear on the step mill portion. Is it simply go to completion, or is there a limit as to your pulse rate, etc? Thanks!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ant195 View Post
    For all of you fretting about the CPAT the info given last night said that Per the new CPAT rules you will get TWO practice sessions at the course with DCAS set to spec then you will have your "OFFICIAL" CPAT. The FDNY to save money is saying if you pass any one of those you PASS the CPAT. So in reality you have three chances to pass the test.
    Hell f-ing yeah. Thanks ant..

Forum Member

Hey Ant. What were people wearing? Do they care since it's in the training room?

Forum Member

wow, talk about watered down. Not only is the CPAT incredibly easy, but they are giving people 3 chances to pass. I can't imagine how many peopel will fail the academy.

FLA1786
    Firehouse.com Guest

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    wow, talk about watered down. Not only is the CPAT incredibly easy, but they are giving people 3 chances to pass. I can't imagine how many peopel will fail the academy.
    Nameless, did you see this:
    http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=97586

Forum Member

Nameless, you read my mind. This is getting even MORE sickening as it muddles on.

Im thinking the kind of people who come on here are the self starter/self motivated types, and these massive crutches that are being built for the makeup of our list wont be needed by any of us here.

Obviously, go and take advantage of the opportunity, but guys (and bad-*** girls), lets go in with our ***** together!

and FLA, thanks for posting that. Great letter, should be req'd reading for anyone with even the smallest of interests in the list.

Forum Member

I would doubt that anyone here would be in jeopardy of not making it to the academy. All the crap that they have done to make sh-t easier for women, and force minorities that don't even want the damn job will just make it easier on us. Yeah it sucks that everything is so watered down, but I look at it in a different light. Now it seems there is only one real way to go through the rock in this new era, anonymous and a-hole are gone.
    Last edited by Irish6019; 01-23-2008 at 04:31 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Prep

Douseit people were wearing all sorts of things from jeans and a shirt to sweat suits, to buisness attire. I dont really think it matter much what you wear but I wore kakis and a button down shirt. There were only two people in buisness attire but I think they came strait from their jobs.
    Hopefully09 I cant tell you what Saturday or Sunday looked like because I did not sign up for those days. You really cant tell much they just write it down and say your all set you can GO HOME.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with the poor timid spirits, who know neither victory nor defeat." FDR

Forum Member

Thanks Ant. Great brief. FDNY is running their CPAT like other states around the country. I'm wearing middle of the road too.

Forum Member

Is anybody else in my shoes and does NOT have access to a stepmill??? I've been using the stairmaster at my local gym ever since I got my weight vest, and I'm a little puzzled as to how to go about programming the thing before I begin. It asks for body weight before you can begin the workout, and I'm not sure whether to put 200(natural body weight), or 250, which is what I actually weigh at that given moment because of the 50 lb vest. I've been putting 250 for about a week to 2 weeks now...somebody please tell me this isn't setting me up for some kind of disadvantage or something in the long run. THanks.

Forum Member

Don't worry about it, that is solely for calorie tracking and how much resistance the thing puts up I believe. For training I would leave it at 250. It shouldn't hurt you at all. Don't take my word as gospel though. Just make sure your steps per minute are where you want them. I also don't have access to a step mill anymore and have to use a ****ty stair master. It gets the job done though. Also if you guys aren't lifting your legs, I would recommend that in addition to cardio and stairs.

Forum Member

I plan to stay middle of the road on the guy, girl, minority discussion. I have no problem with opinions. If I had a choice of who was saving my family, I know who I would pick. With that said, I've worked with diversity, I've had diversity training and I believe everyone should get an equal shot at a civil service job not just those privileged to go to cram courses. Just because someone doesn't possess the skill on the first or second try, does not mean they are getting a free ride. Some just don't have the geographics to allow them to have a more hands on experience. I believe that's what Randall's Island is all about. No different than Boot Camp. The military doesn't throw out the city boy over the hunting farm boy. They teach. Not everyone needs to be Superman but I hope they keep a standard and l would like to see that standard kept after the Academy.

There's no doubt that List 6019 and the introduction of it's candidates will be diverse. There will be trouble and it will be difficult assimilating this new firefighter into the FDNY. There will be tension and difficult times in the house. But for whatever reason, the City of New York has decided to open the ranks and we all know what the playing field is. If we decide to continue, we all have to accept what's been decided and go the extra mile to make our job safe and enjoyable. I hope there's some type of watchdog group for pruning, weeding and policing. Just some thoughts while sitting in front of a screen.

Forum Member

JB. What Irish said:

Quote Originally Posted by Irish6019 View Post
    Don't worry about it, that is solely for calorie tracking....
    I think exercising with the vest and being in shape will give you an immediate advantage for CPAT. It's not a tough physical test and you get practice runs which will count if/when you pass. I think being prepared for the first week is my goal. Bring on the bridge run in July heat. There will be more than rubber hitting the pavement. Better have EMS following with the meat wagon.

Forum Member

The practice is good, it allows everyone an equal shot. However, the practice should be a pratice. When it comes down to it, there should be one offical run and that should be what counts.

If they only let us do the written part of the process like the physical. I could use another try to move into the city and move up a few thousand slots.

Forum Member

The practice is good, it allows everyone an equal shot. However, the practice should be a pratice. When it comes down to it, there should be one offical run and that should be what counts.
    That's one way of looking at it but if you were to ask me, I'm walking on my first pass with a smile. AND, I'm training to pass and will pass on my first practice round. Devil's Advocate, what happens if you slip on your one official run and are disqualified? I know, I heard the argument that you only get one shot in the real situation but if I were allowed to vote on this one, I'm going with allowing the practice pass to count.

Also, look how much money is saved by allowing you to move on with your first pass. NYC saves and I save by not having to take off from work. I think the culling will happen but it will happen at The Rock. Bring on the bridge, bring on the heat. Pull-ups. Sub 12 minute 1 1/2 mile. 35' Ladders. Some will be begging for a ride home, some will be shown the way out.

Forum Member

just got a vest and it kills you the first couple of times you use it but it does get easier. I hurt my knee almost 2 weeks ago and I'm just starting to get back into the swing of things. Thanks for the info on the prep classes, all the people that are doing these things now are very helpful to the people who are still waiting.

Forum Member

Default weight vest

I bought a mir pro weight vest, 75 lbs, and they sent me two vests. I called them and they said the max the short style, meaning it goes down to about mid thorax, will hold is 60. So i have to wear two vests. Does this sound familiar to anyone else. And whats the deal with getting so many trys at the cpat. If you go into a fire and your not fit enough to do your job, do they pat you at the shoulders and say, good try. Come back again in a week and you can try again.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckNorris View Post
    And whats the deal with getting so many trys at the cpat. If you go into a fire and your not fit enough to do your job, do they pat you at the shoulders and say, good try. Come back again in a week and you can try again.
    I don't think that's the deal at all CN. I think there are some people out there that would make excellent candidates but never had the experience with some of this type of equipment. Give them a chance to handle it, show them how to use it and then give them the test. If they already know how to use it and pass the test in a practice session, accept it. Why would you have them come back and do it again? What you're calling chances, others are calling practice.

A lot of people here, myself included, are talking about going to the gym to prepare, buying vests, paying for cram courses and sucking up all the gouge they can all in hopes of having a better chance to get hired. There are a lot of people who don't have that opportunity. They have to work, support a family, can't afford the gym, never saw a stairmill, never heard of Firehouse.com. Why shouldn't everyone get a fair shot at a Civil Service job funded by their tax dollars.

Just think what would happen if you joined the military and on your first day at the rifle range, they tossed you a loaded M-16 and you didn't know how to shoot well enough to hit the target. Do they kick you out or train you. If you haven't been in the military, I'll answer for you, they train you. You've got to stop worrying about the guys or God forbid girls ahead of you. If it was meant to be, you'll get your shot, too.

As for "If you go into a fire and your not fit enough to do your job, do they pat you at the shoulders and say, good try." Was there a policy change? Do we now go from a practice session at the CPAT into fighting fires? I think not. The FDNY stills has everyone make a stop at the academy first and they decide if you are fit enough to go into a fire.

Other states have been doing this type of training and it works for them. How is the FDNY different?

Forum Member

if i've been told right from my military freinds. When you qualify with the rifle, you get to practice, but then there is still the 1 time, 1 chance to qualify. Its not "Oo you did good enough in practice, good job"

I think every place that lets the practices count is watering it down. Im in the hiring process for another NYS dept. They let us familarize 2 sessions, gave us 2 practice shots, but then we had the offical run which was the only one that counts. The CPAT is a lame watered down test, but atleast with one offical run you have to put up or shut up. Not put up, or come back and try again.

Everyone does have a fair shot at civil service. There are just limits to what they can do. They can give prep sessions, but what are they supposed to do if you cant come? They had an extremely varied scheduale, if you can come too bad.

Maybe they should have given us an IQ test, given the high IQs a handicap, and the low IQs an additional boost. We can do it for the physical too, you get a nice little tests to find out your fitness level. Then they'll tailor the weight of the vest, distances between stations, time on the stepmill so everyone is at the same level.

Forum Member

got my investigation packet friday,
    Last edited by Queens6019; 01-29-2008 at 05:23 PM.

Forum Member

Many people always talk about how they have such big boners for being a firefighter, but when it comes down to it, most just want there hands held. They (not referring to anyone in particular) are supposed to be adults. They give you a description of what is expected. If you are still lacking the information you require, go out and find it. That is what adults do. They don't sit around on their hands waiting for someone to knock at their doors with an opportunity, whatever it may be, FDNY or some big promotion at work. You don't really need a vest or fancy gym equipment. All you need is sneakers and a place to run, the dedication to do it 5 or 6 times a week, and time. Life is all about sacrificing for what you want. In economics its called a possibility production frontier. You only have a certain amount of time and you can't do it all. If you have a family, I would recommend you spend more time with your family and less time training for FDNY, but if you really want the job, and are not in the appropriate physical fitness, then, yet again, we need to make sacrifices.

Forum Member

if i've been told right from my military freinds. When you qualify with the rifle, you get to practice, but then there is still the 1 time, 1 chance to qualify. Its not "Oo you did good enough in practice, good job"
    Well nameless you're close but wrong. The qualifying you are talking about is for a badge. The badges or medals/ribbons are for shooting: Marksman, Sharpshooter and Expert. As you said, "if I've been told right from my military friends." AND if you understood what they said, in the military, you get one chance to actually qualify for Sharpshooter or Expert otherwise you WILL qualify for Marksman even if you have to stay in training. AND if you do good in practice, they slap a Marksman badge on you and count it in order to get you through. So your thinking, "Its not "Oo you did good enough in practice, good job.", isn't correct. I think their thinking is, you will have a chance to sharpen your skills in Iraq. Or not.

Nameless, here's an idea, tell the DI's that their test is lame and watered down and in other parts of NYS, the practice run doesn't count and you don't want your practice run to count. Let us know what happens.

So again, NYC has decided how they are going to run their test. Many think it's fair, some don't. It's very similar to other parts of the country. If you don't like it, don't take it.

Thread Information