Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 618 FirstFirst ... 414849505152535461101151551 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 12347
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

Forum Member

Hey Cuzz, no such luck. Lady just said she hadn't gotten to my number and to be prepared for Jan 2009. We'll see, i think this pre-academy run might help our case a lot more than these investigators think.

EDIT: PS, i found a pretty good map online of the run distances in central park. Looks like the reservoir is our best bet at 1.57 miles exactly.

here's the site: http://www.soundkeepers.com/running/nyc_big_map.html
    Last edited by aal2016; 05-23-2008 at 03:18 PM.

Ant:

I'll try the icebath.. Thanks as well..

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ant195 View Post
    Jaco

Not to discredit your wife but if you ask most athletic trainers or Physical Therapists or Otho's. You really should not heat after a work out. The rule of thumb is heat before then ICE after. You can do the same idea you wife said but do it with ice in the bathtub and you will find you have a much better recovery rate.

Good luck stay in shape!
    No worries my friend. I don't know if it's whats prescribed but it does work for me. I will try it the other way though, because these shin splints are the pits. I notice I have more trouble with them after sprints probably because my feet hit the ground harder than when I do my long runs. Thanks for the advice.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzz2259 View Post
    Bombahtz and Jacobeast2:

Thanks a million for your advice. I really appreciate that. I think it's in my stride. I have to work on it. I hope I am not over-working myself. I just want to make sure I pass the stairs.. ( I was sooo nervousthe first time, that my heartrate went over by 20)..

I have to go back on June 2 to re-do the stairs. Ok, Enough rambling.. Again thanks for your advice.
    5 mile runs is how I passed the re-test so you should be good. When you go back look down at the floor not at the timer or the HR watch; you'll be done before you know it.

Forum Member

Try mapmyride.com - it will do running distances, elevation, etc. It is really cool - it is made mostly for cycling, but will work perfectly well with running as well. You can make a "run" and see how long it will be and how the elevation changes.

Forum Member

One more thing, for Cuzzy and everyone interested...

Running isn't the only thing that builds stamina. You can also go for a bike ride or rollerblade. For anyone out there who needs a way to boost your heart rate but can't run through the shin splints, these things work just as good. I actually find that I get a better leg workout on the rollerblades and my heart rate is the same. Just something to think about...split the exercises up so you get a good all around work out. After that, the 1.5 mile will come way under 12 mins...

Default I have a question?

When we do the 1.5 mile run do we do it by our selves or do we do it as a group?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy2times View Post
    When we do the 1.5 mile run do we do it by our selves or do we do it as a group?
    I imagine they run as a group. They have too many people to test them all individually. I'm assuming they have 3 or 4 test guys with stopwatches and they'll have you all just go, and when you finish they'll yell your time out to you...it's not like everyone will have a photo finish so they'll just do a rounded time if a few people finish at the same time.

Thumbs up Rollerblades

Boombahtz:

Interesting that you mentioned the rollerblade thing, because yesterday after work, I headed over to my storage unit and grabbed my rollerblades. I figured that it would be a great supplement to my workouts. It does me no good if they're packed away.

It is totally a different kind of burn. You do feel it in your legs and I agree, it its great for endurance. I think I will continue my Jumrope routine for about 10-15 minutes and Rollerblade a few miles. (This coupled with 5 mile runs everyother day, like you said, the 1.5 mile run will be WAY under 12 minutes.

Keep up the good work and again thanks for your continued advice..

Thumbs up Mapmyride.com

tcfdDan:

Dude, Kudos.. I just checked out that site.. VERY NICE. I am currently mapping out new running routes.. I love this site.. Great tool for cyclists, runners, etc. I used to use my car to plot out my routes, but from now on, I will use mapmyride.com

For those of you who have not checked this site out, please do. It helps you track/log your workouts and much more. There is an elevation feature that shows your elevation on your route for each mile you run.

PS.. Boombahtz and Jaco, check it out.

Forum Member

i used to get shin splints really bad, until, i got the correct running shoes. A knowledgeable person at the local sports store watched me run and looked at the wear on my running shoes and she said my feet pronated. She set me up with "motion control" running shoes. They worked like a charm. Shin splints no more.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzz2259 View Post
    Boombahtz:

I think I will continue my Jumrope routine for about 10-15 minutes and Rollerblade a few miles. (This coupled with 5 mile runs everyother day, like you said, the 1.5 mile run will be WAY under 12 minutes.
    Don't overdo it...too much cardio is a great way overtrain, which sucks. It's also a good way to burn up muscle, which you might need at some point in your career, I'm guessing. I'd stick with a run one day, then do a bike ride, then skating...something like that. Also someone said something about running shoes...also something you should look into.

But anyway, I think I'm gonna go check out that website right now. Keep up your good work and be careful.

Forum Member

Talking

Just wanted I'd stop by and say hello to all my fellow candidates. Also, I would like to thank all the guys on this forum for posting valuable information.

Forum Member

hey, does anybody have a # where i can actually speak to somebody at DCAS. I know its somewhere buried in the 2043 thread, but if somebody knows it, i would be greatly appreciated. Also to all the guys who been through the medicals, how strict was the doctor regarding your previous surgeries? Did you have to obtain the x-rays from your doctors? thanks. list # low 1200's

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Medical

FDNYSmoky,

The Dr.s at the medical did not care about any surgery other than the ones that included joints or bones. If you broke a bone or had ACL surgery or something like that they looked at it. I broke my wrist in 99 but did not have any surgery and they did not care at all. Hope that helps. Good luck.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with the poor timid spirits, who know neither victory nor defeat." FDR

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fdnysmoky View Post
    hey, does anybody have a # where i can actually speak to somebody at DCAS. I know its somewhere buried in the 2043 thread, but if somebody knows it, i would be greatly appreciated.
    The last time I called and spoke to an actual someone, I called the automated DCAS number from nyc.gov/fire and had to go through the menu. You could also call the fire department and tell them you want to speak to a DCAS person and they'll connect you...if they feel like it...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by goodscore6019 View Post
    hey... just passed the stairs. ive been training like crazy. cardio. weights. sprints. jump rope.

once we get to the academy how much running(miles) will we be doing?

if someone passes the run and doesnt get called for the academy will they have to take it again in january?

at the cpat prep the Lt was saying that the reason theyre doing the cpat and medical right before the academy is to Make Sure were in decent shape.

speaking of cpat... how are people doing with that? seems like you either pass it on the first try or its too late
    They start off at 1.5 miles increase upwards like every 3 weeks and are currently up to like 5.5

Good question about the june 7th run? Can you defer till january if you dont want the june class? Will it be a one shot deal ? Will they give retry? Is it good for a year like the medical?

Forum Member

They do the run in a group and they will have the fst guys as pace setters and they will follow the group in one of those 3 wheeled kind of golf carts .

OurTimenow,
    I know guys that were hired with stips , heard anywhere from 6 months up to 2 years. (DWIís, Drinking related summonses, bar fights, etc no drug possessions )
    I know of a couple of guys that never told CID and lied on their applications about their previous infractions with the law and the fdny never found about about it, especially when their things happened out of state or town like when they were in college. But thatís a big risk and if you get caught they will DQ you.
    I have passed everything and called my investigator to see if everything was good and he never mentioned or questioned anything about my past . As long as you check that everything is set with your investigator no news is good news. , I had an arrest, 2 speeding tickets , underage drinking ticket, and open container, I was honest and declared everything in the packet with copies of the arrest report etc . I know he contacted my previous employers and also references. Two of them mailed me letters to notify me and one gave me a copy of the sheet that was sent to them filled out so I know I had solid references. Hope this helps

I could never get a human being on the phone at dcas either, but I left a message for them through 311, and I got a return phone call about 3-4 months later from a head dcas employee, I wish I had written the number down. Good Luck

Spoke to investigator and he said that I will be called for the run on June 7th told me to expect a call on my cell or letter in the mail, did not specify if that meant guaranteed entrance to the June class or if it was good for January class also.

Good Luck, See you guys out there

Forum Member

Just got off the phone to my investigator he said the run is now June 8......No longer the seventh.
    6019 #47x

Forum Member

Default Medical

Does anyone know or have an idea when the cpat and medical will be given for those who have just received their investigations packet? I am hering August for Cpat and September/October fvor Medical. Any info will be great.

Thread Information