Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 510 of 618 FirstFirst ... 10410460500507508509510511512513520560610 ... LastLast
Results 10,181 to 10,200 of 12347
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

Forum Member

Wouldn't be the first time he refused to recuse himself from a case due to a conflict of interest because of a family member.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion...#ixzz18WT66XTy

Last week, Brooklyn Federal Judge Nicholas Garaufis effectively ordered the immediate dismantlement of New York's system of privately run, but state-licensed, group homes for the mentally ill.
    That decision was a slam-dunk victory for activists -- if not for the mentally ill themselves. The judge ordered the cash-strapped state to build 1,500 housing units in each of the next three years -- almost exactly as the activists demanded.
    And he blasted the state's compromise plan as "patently inadequate."
    As we noted then, moving the mentally ill into situations with reduced supervision invites disaster: It's why New York had a profound homeless crisis in the '70s and '80s.
    Garaufis' decision makes no real-world sense -- but he could have had more of a vested interest in this case than most might suspect.
    It turns out that his wife for 18 years has been an active board member of Fountain House, which describes its mission as "dedicated to the recovery of men and women with mental illness by providing opportunities for our members to live, work and learn" and "the ultimate elimination of stigma against those with mental illness."
    In short, it's an activist group for the rights of the mentally ill.
    And while the organization was not a party to the lawsuit, the relationship still constitutes a startling conflict of interest on the part of Judge Garaufis.
    According to the attorney general's office, which represented the state, Garaufis did raise his wife's affiliation with lawyers for both sides back in 2006, when he first began to hear the case.

True, the state's lawyers did not see grounds for a mandatory recusal, in which the judge would automatically disqualify himself from hearing the case.
    But that's only half the story. Formally challenging the judge to step aside over a question of possible unfairness is fraught with potential professional dangers for a lawyer -- not only in the case at hand, but in future appearances before the same jurist.
    So Garaufis continued to preside.
    Frankly, it wasn't enough for the judge simply to raise the issue. He should have understood that his wife's active involvement with the group represented the appearance -- if not the actuality -- of a blatant conflict of interest.
    He should have stepped aside -- without waiting for the state's lawyers to demand it.
    As we noted earlier, the judge found wrongly on the merits -- dangerously so.
    Now the decision resides under an ethical cloud -- unnecessarily so.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    If this is true and could somehow be proven, then this could be HUGE. We may be able to get this suit thrown out and really disgrace goofus.

Would you be able to tell us: did you just happen to come across that name while cruising the list? Or is there more to this??
    I went looking for the name because we were told the judge has a nephew on the list and wanted to see what his list number is (and confirm its really true).

Also the NY1 interview should be available on the website in the morning, and should be on all day. They will be rotating between the full story and the shortened one on tv, the full version is better, and thats what should be on the website.

If anyone can make the bill introduction on Monday (get there at 12:45pm if you can) the 3 candidates that were interviewed will be at the introduction in the hopes of talking to council members beforehand. Anyone interested in helping is welcome, the meeting is at the Emigrant Savings Bank Building on Chambers street.

Forum Member

Forum Member

Great job on the interview!! You guys are doing good things for us. Along with the other vets, I hope you guys get in the first class whenever that may be..........more than myself.

But about this Goofus and his nephew thing. I'm not really sure how we would be able to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that they are indeed related. The only way I can imagine is if the Dept worked with us on substantiating it via social security numbers and whatnot. So if this was possible, we should really think about taking action on this. This has been infuriating me all day.

Forum Member

If you really think about it....Is Cassano prepared to be 1,000+ men under headcount as he waits for the new test that wont get firefighters into the academy until Mid 2013???

Folks,,, that is 2 and a half years away

Can they really wait that long to hire again>??

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DC33017 View Post
    If you really think about it....Is Cassano prepared to be 1,000+ men under headcount as he waits for the new test that wont get firefighters into the academy until Mid 2013???

Folks,,, that is 2 and a half years away

Can they really wait that long to hire again>??
    Nope, that's why the administration will use this as a reason to accomplish what they really want. Which is to close firehouses and take the 5th man.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    Great job on the interview!! You guys are doing good things for us. Along with the other vets, I hope you guys get in the first class whenever that may be..........more than myself.

But about this Goofus and his nephew thing. I'm not really sure how we would be able to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that they are indeed related. The only way I can imagine is if the Dept worked with us on substantiating it via social security numbers and whatnot. So if this was possible, we should really think about taking action on this. This has been infuriating me all day.
    I know for a fact the judge does not have a nephew on the list. His nephew is a freind of freind. he is not on list

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFcand718 View Post
    I know for a fact the judge does not have a nephew on the list. His nephew is a freind of freind. he is not on list
    Actually i'm wrong. Thats him

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by StuckInLimbo View Post
    Apparently the judge has a nephew on the list, List # 6953.0 Michael G. Garaufis Jr.

Anyone else thinking he might have had a reason to want 6019 tossed and a new list in place as soon as possible?
    If this is true, the judge should have recused himself from the case immediatly. Im sure the media could do some digging into this.

Forum Member

That is HUGE conflict of interest. And is a violation of the code of ethics. His decision against the FDNY is clearly bias. He should have not been allowed to be the judge for this case. Its like allowing a cop to be a juror in a police brutality case. We really need to look into this. This might be our silver lining.

I think we could look into public records. I dont think its too hard to find out if they are related. The media is always finding out things like that.

And To Rebecca, Dion, and Ayende...Awsome job, and thank you.
    Last edited by FDNYUSMC; 12-20-2010 at 01:48 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNYUSMC View Post
    Ditto! You guys were awesome. I couldn't have said any of it better myself.

"It's not the test. It's like anything else in life. If you prepare yourself for it, you will do well at it".

Brilliant! Great job, and thank you!

Forum Member

That is HUGE conflict of interest. And is a violation of the code of ethics. His decision against the FDNY is clearly bias. He should have not been allowed to be the judge for this case. Its like allowing a cop to be a juror in a police brutality case. We really need to look into this. This might be our silver lining.

I think we could look into public records. I dont think its too hard to find out if they are related. The media is always finding out things like that.

Find it, execute it and conquer.

This is a potential silver platter.

With persistence, the creep judge will not prevail.

Forum Member

I wouldn't have any idea on how to go about this but if anyone knows how count me in. Btw FDNYUSMC i'm curious are you the reservist i met during the medical a couple of Augusts ago and was telling you about HRST school? If your not him my bad.
    Locate, close with, destroy YUT YUTTTTT

Forum Member

Last edited by FairHiringFDNY; 08-08-2011 at 11:44 PM.

Forum Member

can anyone give solid confirmation that it is definitely his nephew? if so at the very least the papers should be told, this is a pretty big story given he has a history of this conflict of interest stuff as well as the recent resurgence of news about the case/hiring/closures

Forum Member

We've got people working on the judge's nephew thing, we want this exposed right so lets keep this quiet from here on out. Let the lawyers look into it and we've got some other help as well on this. If this news is going to break we really need it done right, lets let those who are experts at this take it on. Until then lets keep the noise to a minimum. The press does not need to be informed, that is in the works. Anyone who reads this forum now knows, but lets leave it at that.

Also I've been told the bill introduction went really well today, Vallone and his staff were a huge help and there were more interviews done and many council members confirmed their support. Continue to write letters to the mayor, dcas and quinn for support. We'll update the letter soon, the bill got introduced to the fire and criminal justice committee at the last minute, this even came as a surprise to vallone. But thats a good thing because crowley is one of the sponsors and she's the chair of the committee. A full update will be sent out soon. We do have the mayors support but we want to make sure he supports it enough to push quinn to support it and make sure he doesnt forget about us.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 0311ico View Post
    I wouldn't have any idea on how to go about this but if anyone knows how count me in. Btw FDNYUSMC i'm curious are you the reservist i met during the medical a couple of Augusts ago and was telling you about HRST school? If your not him my bad.
    Locate, close with, destroy YUT YUTTTTT
    That could verywell be. I took my medical on Aug 29 that year.

Forum Member

Default fdny

i have mailed out multiple letters to christine quinn's district and legislative office. I have alseo faxed letters multiple times to both locations as of last week. Still no response from her. I have also wrote letters to dcas and the mayor in the past. I got a response from dcas when they had an acting commissioner. Their response was basically that its upto the fdny and that it is controlled by the nyc administrartive code, which would need to be changed.

That is what councilman peter vallone is doing with his bill. he is trying to change the nyc admin code pertaining to the fdny age requirement

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by QCFRANKC View Post
    i have mailed out multiple letters to christine quinn's district and legislative office. I have alseo faxed letters multiple times to both locations as of last week. Still no response from her. I have also wrote letters to dcas and the mayor in the past. I got a response from dcas when they had an acting commissioner. Their response was basically that its upto the fdny and that it is controlled by the nyc administrartive code, which would need to be changed.

That is what councilman peter vallone is doing with his bill. he is trying to change the nyc admin code pertaining to the fdny age requirement
    No **** Vallone is trying to change the age limit. Do you really think we dont know that by now? The reason I said keep writing to DCAS is this, first of all now there is a new commissioner, 2nd, the Fire Commissioner and the General Council to the city council said to push DCAS for support even when they were told the DCAS response was to talk to FDNY etc. So please dont assume the rest of us don't know whats going on and talk to us like we're stupid. And Quinn is NOT going to give us an answer anytime soon. She will probably be the last one to tell us if she supports us or not.

Forum Member

Default FDNY 6019 Candidates Documentary

Hey guys check out the teaser to the video I shot, I'm editing it now, hope to have it finished soon.

http://vimeo.com/18113844

Thread Information