Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 511 of 618 FirstFirst ... 11411461501508509510511512513514521561611 ... LastLast
Results 10,201 to 10,220 of 12347
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by joeybatts View Post
    Hey guys check out the teaser to the video I shot, I'm editing it now, hope to have it finished soon.

http://vimeo.com/18113844
    I had that speech on my ipod and would listen to it before i ran to fire me up. Now it makes me want to cry. Awsome video... Cant wait to see the finished product.

Forum Member

video looks great bro

Just make sure you follow any legal aspects necessary to use that audio from the original producers.

Forum Member

Merry Christmas to all of you and your families. I look forward to the day our dreams are realized and we are all a part of a new family within the FDNY.

Merry Christmas and God bless those unable to be with their families. We are all forever in your debt for your service.
    Last edited by sffdnyhopeful09; 12-25-2010 at 04:01 PM.

Forum Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GMEN6019 View Post
    wow a class of 1100, that should be a sign that things are looking up rite? maybe the city will get its ducks in arow and start this appeal. although i guess there hands are tied until the big judge makes his decision...... now i know ive said this the past two years but i have a good feeling about 2011

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by myles8683 View Post
    wow a class of 1100, that should be a sign that things are looking up rite? maybe the city will get its ducks in arow and start this appeal. although i guess there hands are tied until the big judge makes his decision...... now i know ive said this the past two years but i have a good feeling about 2011
    haha good one! Nah, Bloomy and Goldman are just trying to "phase out" the FDNY entirely and hire on a private "fire fighting firm" that will save the city gillions!

Seriously, though, what's the latest and greatest on Garaufis' possible conflict-of-interest or whatever we're calling it? Seemed to go away with the quickness.

Forum Member

****Bump****

Just bumping up our thread.
    There was another thread with our title and I didn't want our thread to be buried under the imposter's. Lol.
    6019- was sitting at 13xx
    2000- now sitting at 18xx

Forum Member

Its great how bloomy has the balls to do a press conference and say he doesn't know why it is taking so long to plow everything. Gee maybe its because they haven't hired any substantial amount of sanitation workers in three years. Just a blatant lie right to the camera!

Forum Member

hey guys. has anyone heard anything new about the age extension? I thought they had brought up some sort of legislation about it recently but I havent heard anything.

Forum Member

Also, it may be a bit early to ask this but does anyone have any idea when they could make a decision about the possible age extension?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by profeshffd View Post
    Also, it may be a bit early to ask this but does anyone have any idea when they could make a decision about the possible age extension?
    If you want updates on the Age Extension get yourself put on the email list by sending an email to 6019ageextension@gmail.com asking to be on the email list.

An update just went out and yes legislation was introduced to the city council and all that information has been sent out to the email list.

There has to be a hearing before there is a vote on the legislation, the hearing will likely happen late January or February sometime.

You can look up the legislation on the city council website under Int 450.

Forum Member

thanks stuck in limbo. i am on the e-mail list but i dont think i recieved an email. although i prob. just deleted it by accident. thanks again for the all the info that you and the others have provided. Everyone who is a part of this mess should be very grateful to you and the others who have taken the lead in helping all of us. And also, thank you for responding to all the questions that everyone have on this thread. You guys are awsome.

Forum Member

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion...CV4XpNXaMi3qHM

Judge cripples FDNY

Next year, proceeds from the FDNY's pinup calendar are going to a worthy, needy cause: the FDNY itself.

Usually donated to charity, the expected $300,000 boost from the 2012 calendar will be spent on firehouse equipment instead, as the department braces for truly tough times.

If you're wondering who's partially responsible for the mess, look to federal judge Nicholas Garaufis, whose attempt to force hiring quotas on the FDNY is choking off its money and manpower.

Garaufis ruled 18 months ago that the city was guilty of discrimination since minority applicants passed the FDNY entrance exams at a lower rate than whites -- and he subsequently blocked the city from hiring any new firefighters.

Unsurprisingly, Garaufis found no evidence of bias -- just a "disparate impact" on the minorities who took the test.

The department reports that it is "under headcount now by approximately 370 firefighters" -- thus mandating extra overtime by other firefighters.

It's a heavy burden: The FDNY responded to a record number of emergencies in 2010 -- the most in its justly storied 145-year history.

So overtime pay is skyrocketing, projected to hit nearly $183 million by the end of the fiscal year -- a 40 percent leap above anticipated costs in its budget.

These costs have created a ripple effect -- forcing the FDNY to find savings elsewhere, such as the projected overnight closings of 20 firehouses, and using calendar proceeds for its own ends.

When the city first raised the headcount issue back in August, Garaufis responded with a devil's bargain: The FDNY could hire candidates through any one of five methods he approved.

Unfortunately, each method imposed de facto quotas in hiring.

Believing that safety and standards should come first, the city rightly rejected the offer.

Adding insult to injury, the city can't escape this judicially imposed insanity anytime soon, as Garaufis continues to drag his feet on a final ruling.

Now Garaufis is spreading the pain.

That beefcake calendar cash usually supports burn centers and the Thomas R. Elsasser Fund, which assists families of firemen who died while off-duty.

What that means: Add FDNY widows to the list of prey harpooned by Garaufis, the quota-crazy Ahab of the Eastern District Court.

Forum Member

Happy New Year.. Hopefully 2011 brings us all some good news

Forum Member

Happy New Year!!! Lets hope 2011 is much better then 2010.

Forum Member

Night-Closings Too Risky

To the Editor:

Regarding the firehouse night-closings, City Hall should rebuke this deadly suggestion. Can terrorists strike at night? Don’t most children play with matches and candles at night? To recommend this as a way to reduce overtime is shortsighted and dangerous.

A better way is for the FDNY to hire new Firefighters at the reduced hourly rate of a 5th-grade Firefighter, instead of paying a Firefighter 1st grade at the time-and-a-half rate. The Mayor was able to find a way to hire his pick for a School Chancellor who was unqualified. Surely the city can find a middle ground to hire qualified Firefighter eligibles who only have completion problems. An agreement brokered by the City Council Public Safety Committee may be necessary to mediate the decision a judge has perpetrated.

The city will be challenged on a new test that gives some test-takers a free pass and charges others an expensive fee. All new test-takers must have equal footing for disparate impact to be a valid factor. This anticipated delay will only delay the next test and hiring, which will result in more overtime and another round of closings to stop overtime. The city should address the problem of Fire Department hiring rather than firehouse closing.

Forum Member

Fire Unions: High Activity Makes Service Cuts Nuts

A record-breaking year of activity for the Fire Department, capped by a disastrous snowstorm, has fire unions calling key decisions by the Bloomberg administration “civic insanity.”

Record Workload

In a Dec. 29 press conference, officials from the Uniformed Firefighters and Uniformed Fire Officers associations cited the record workload for the FDNY, with more than 500,000 emergency responses in 2010. Besides being the greatest number of emergencies in the department’s 145-year history, it makes the FDNY the busiest fire department in the country.

“The No. 1 problem for Firefighters was that cars were abandoned everywhere,” UFA President Steve Cassidy said of the snowstorm whose effects were still being felt. “People are out of their homes because of fires that should have been put out in the first 20 minutes, but took hours because we couldn’t get water on that fire quickly.” He referred to one incident in Queens that left 66 families displaced by a fire that “under normal circumstances would have been dealt with in 20 or 30 minutes.”

The blizzard left Firefighters with an increased volume of emergency

calls hindered by unplowed, obstructed streets and stuck ambulances that created a backlog of more than 1,300 calls for the FDNY. Some Firefighters were forced to stay at the scene of medical emergencies for hours, trying to keep victims stable until they could be taken to the hospital. In one instance, a mother lost her newborn baby because ambulances took nine hours to respond.

“That mother would have been in a hospital inside of 20 minutes,” Mr. Cassidy said. “Three hours later she didn’t have anyone there... These things should never happen and they are happening because our resources are deployed just too far and too thin.”

Became Ambulance-Towers

They were also stretched thin with non-emergency work, according to union officials who say department apparatus was used to tow 100 ambulances out of the snow. In addition, unions say there’s a hidden cost in property damage and stalled business when it takes longer to put out a fire. “Who absorbs that cost? You know who does—the City of New York,” Mr. Cassidy said.

Despite all these difficulties, the crews kept working. As UFOA President Alexander Hagan put it, “The New York City Fire Department has never taken a snow day. Ever.”

“You had fires over the last few days that normally would have not been spectacular—completely out-of-control fires,” Mr. Cassidy said. “What this really tells the tale of is when you cut and slash resources, when you don’t have enough resources to respond to these emergencies, be it a medical emergency or a fire, the results can be deadly.”

Underlying anger about the administration’s response to the storm are several issues that have the city and unions facing off, including Mayor Bloomberg’s proposal to shut down 20 firehouses during the night shift. According to Fire Department officials, this is when 70 percent of fatal fires occur.

Service Bound to Suffer

“They can’t close 20 fire companies for 15 hours every night and expect the same level of critical, essential services that the city’s 8.5 million people expect and deserve,” Mr. Hagan said. He and Mr. Cassidy testified at a City Council hearing on the closings, which Fire Commissioner Salvatore Cassano said were necessary to cut $15 million from the agency's budget. The city had asked the FDNY to find ways to cut $60 million for 2011.

“We feel that any service that can have an impact on life-or-death situations should be fully funded and even the notion of a cutback to the Fire Department is a form of civic insanity,” Mr. Hagan said.

They also object to the decision to let a contract lapse with the UFA that allows a fifth Firefighter at 60 engine companies around the city. In response to the storm, the department placed a fifth firefighter on all of its engine companies—a move that the unions say proves the importance of that position.

“The department decided, of their own volition, to staff every engine company, all 200, with five firefighters throughout this storm,” Mr. Cassidy said. “And the reason is simple: They know that having a fifth Firefighter on an engine company allows those Firefighters, that unit, to get water on a fire quicker. If they pull up to a fire and they don’t have a ladder company with them, that fifth Firefighter can be used to vent, enter and search

...I think they’ve proved our case.”

‘Puts Lives in Jeopardy’

Mr. Hagan agreed that the decision was counterintuitive to public safety. “The staffing level doesn’t impact on my union but it impacts on my family, being residents of the city of New York,” he said. “This is hard, physical, dangerous work. And will it always get done? It’ll get done if you have one person. The problem is...it takes so much longer to get done that the fire spreads, lives are put in jeopardy.”

Another key issue brought up during the storm was the 911 call-taking system. In a press conference last week, Mayor Bloomberg said that he directed Skip Funk, the new Director of Citywide Emergency Communications, to review the city’s system.

“He’s one of the country’s leading experts in this field,” the mayor said of Mr. Funk. “We will review the details of recent 911-call queuing... The NYPD and FDNY will work closely with Skip to identify any operational or technical shortfalls that they may find, including but not limited to Unified Call Taking.”

Unions Give Thumbs Down

UCT has been a sore spot with unions that say it’s a less efficient way to handle fire emergencies, essentially cutting the Fire Alarm Dispatchers out of the process.

“UCT is an absolute disaster,” Mr. Cassidy said. “UCT is a system where they deliberately hide 20, 30, 40 seconds of a response. It’s one of the statistics that they are using to say we can close fire companies because response times are at an all-time low. They’re not an all-time low—they’re not counting the first 30 seconds.” Though he feels they aren’t as well-trained as Fire Alarm Dispatchers, Mr. Cassidy said he doesn’t blame the 911 call-takers for response problems during the storm, but rather administrative decisions and logistics.

“If this administration gets their way...what has happened over the last few days in terms of the kinds of services that have been provided throughout the five boroughs, that’s what New Yorkers can expect,” he said.

Forum Member

I would like to share some mutually good news. Good for us on the job and good for you pursuing your career goals:

Associated Press

NEW YORK — New York's City Council has persuaded the mayor not to close 20 fire companies at night as part of budget cuts.

Both sides confirmed the funding restorations late Wednesday.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg had announced the $15 million fire department savings move in November as part of nearly $600 million in planned budget-tighteners throughout multiple city agencies.

Most of the other cuts will remain.

Lawmakers fought to restore the fire department cut as well as another $20 million in various agency reductions, including at the child welfare agency.

Bloomberg did not need council approval for the mid-fiscal-year update. He and the council found other savings to replace the restored funding.

The restorations were first reported by the Wall Street Journal.

—Copyright 2011 Associated Press

Forum Member

This is excellent news, thanks for posting.

Although it does seem like this will be the song and dance every year huh??

Also, it's one NY1 now too....

http://www.ny1.com/content/top_stori...companies-open

Thread Information