Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 513 of 618 FirstFirst ... 13413463503510511512513514515516523563613 ... LastLast
Results 10,241 to 10,260 of 12347
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

Forum Member

Well I wasn't aware of you're previous post on the subject and I wasn't really stating an opinion about the college credits, I meant it more as an actual question on how they would create a list. Hypothetically, lets say half the people get a 100, how would they organize the classes? Im just curious since Im trying to anticipate what will happen.

I don't really feel one way or another about the college credits. I think that maybe it could be a good thing if they kept the requirement because the people who really want the job could then go and get the credits to prove themselves over the ones who don't want it as badly and aren't willing to do so. I am not in the FD so I really don't know and don't have an opinion on it. I do have a bachelors but don't think it would make me a better fire fighter, I am curious how they are gonna decide who gets the job.
    Last edited by simpllyhuge; 01-12-2011 at 03:08 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by simpllyhuge View Post
    I was thinking about how they took away the college credits (not sure when that happened) and suppose they do make the test easier, then how would they formulate a list if a large amount of people get a 100? For example what if 1000 people get a 100 and only 300 can fit in a class.
    It goes by your SS#. xxx-xx-1234 gets hired before xxx-xx-1235

Forum Member

Well I wasn't aware of you're previous post on the subject and I wasn't really stating an opinion about the college credits, I meant it more as an actual question on how they would create a list. Hypothetically, lets say half the people get a 100, how would they organize the classes? Im just curious since Im trying to anticipate what will happen.
    Obviously there would be a new written test, which is in the works. I saw no problem with the old one, but that's besides the point. I was referring to the college requirement, I never suggested doing away with a written test.

I don't really feel one way or another about the college credits. I think that maybe it could be a good thing if they kept the requirement because the people who really want the job could then go and get the credits to prove themselves over the ones who don't want it as badly and aren't willing to do so. I am not in the FD so I really don't know and don't have an opinion on it. I do have a bachelors
    College credits would work, if it was proven that a college degree makes one a better firefighter. I know of no such proof. Why should someone have to go out and get college credits for something that doesn't have a significant impact on how they perform the job of firefighter? So the FDNY can categorize them better on some list? That doesn't seem fair. Really wanting the job has nothing to do with going out and getting college credits. It has everything to do with who has the money and resources to do so, which to me would be a form of discrimination against those who don't.
    Last edited by FDNY78; 01-12-2011 at 02:54 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY78 View Post
    Obviously there would be a new written test, which is in the works. I saw no problem with the old one, but that's besides the point. I was referring to the college requirement, I never suggested doing away with a written test.

College credits would work, if it was proven that a college degree makes one a better firefighter. I know of no such proof. Why should someone have to go out and get college credits for something that doesn't have a significant impact on how they perform the job of firefighter? So the FDNY can categorize them better on some list? That doesn't seem fair. Really wanting the job has nothing to do with going out and getting college credits. It has everything to do with who has the money and resources to do so, which to me would be a form of discrimination against those who don't.
    I never thought you suggested doing away with the test, I think you are under the impression I am disagreeing with you when I had no stance at all and was just asking a question. My only question was answered by Sean South who explained that in the case of identical scores they go by social security numbers.
    like I said I don't really feel one way or the other about the college credits.
    Last edited by simpllyhuge; 01-12-2011 at 03:11 PM.

Forum Member

I never thought you suggested doing away with the test, I think you are under the impression I am disagreeing with you when I had no stance at all and was just asking a question. My only question was answered by Sean South who explained that in the case of identical scores they go by social security numbers.
    like I said I don't really feel one way or the other about the college credits.
    I really don't care if you agree with me or not. You were suggesting that you thought...
    ...it could be a good thing if they kept the college requirement because the people who really want the job could then go and get the credits to prove themselves over the ones who don't want it as badly and aren't willing to do so.
    I was explaining how keeping college credits would be a bad idea in my opinion. This is a forum we are exchanging information. If you throw out a suggestion it may be disputed, whether or not you care one way or the other.

Forum Member

I really don't care if you agree with me or not. You were suggesting that you thought...

I was explaining how keeping college credits would be a bad idea in my opinion. This is a forum we are exchanging information. If you throw out a suggestion it may be disputed, whether or not you care one way or the other.
    Thats fine, I understand the point of a forum. I was referring to the first part where you said something like " I never suggested doing away with a written test" I never said you did.
    I really don't know what you are saying at this point, whats the difference,I was trying to be polite and it seems you're trying to make that difficult. The other poster clearly understood what I was asking and answered it in one sentence, and I already pointed out that my question was answered so unless your looking to argue with me then thats it. I'm not looking to argue. Thanks to the both of you.
    Last edited by simpllyhuge; 01-12-2011 at 04:02 PM.

Forum Member

Thats fine, I understand the point of a forum. I was referring to the first part where you said something like " I never suggested doing away with a written test" I never said you did.
    I really don't know what you are saying at this point, whats the difference,I was trying to be polite and it seems you're trying to make that difficult. The other poster clearly understood what I was asking and answered it in one sentence, and I already pointed out that my question was answered so unless your looking to argue with me then thats it. I'm not looking to argue. Thanks to the both of you.
    ok I see where the confusion was. I misunderstood your question and misread your post. I thought you were wondering how the lists were ranked if everyone got 100 on the physical and there was no written test due to the fact that it was deemed bias and therefore thrown out (which I somehow concocted in my mind). Don't ask me how I got that from your post!! lol. I'm a retarded FF. It says nothing of the sort. I was wondering why seansouth was talking about ss#'s. Now it makes sense. Anyway sorry for the confusion. I'll go back to viewing as I'm not one who does alot of posting. I guess that's why I'm a fireman and not an editor.

Forum Member

I think keeping college credits is a no brainer. The department already gets a huge number of candidates who apply. Without the credits that number would sky rocket. By having a requirement of college credits it weeds out the people who don't care enough about the job to go to school and get them. Its just one more way to make sure the people who are getting hired actually want this job 110%. I went as far as joining the military for the veterans points. This job takes a level of dedication and while having college credits won't make someone a better firefighter it will show the dedication one has to getting the job. Anyone who gets handed this job doesn't deserve it.
    FDNY Exam 6019 List# 14XX.
    Lawsuit Victim: Completed process, cancelled academy.

FDNY Exam 2000 List# 6XX.

Forum Member

ok I see where the confusion was. I misunderstood your question and misread your post. I thought you were wondering how the lists were ranked if everyone got 100 on the physical and there was no written test due to the fact that it was deemed bias and therefore thrown out (which I somehow concocted in my mind). Don't ask me how I got that from your post!! lol. I'm a retarded FF. It says nothing of the sort. I was wondering why seansouth was talking about ss#'s. Now it makes sense. Anyway sorry for the confusion. I'll go back to viewing as I'm not one who does alot of posting. I guess that's why I'm a fireman and not an editor.
    its cool I appreciate you took the time to answer my questions in the first place.

Any way so what I have gathered today in my hours of rereading the same posts over and over again is.... They might offer another test as soon as in the next year, which I might make the cutoff for since I just turned 28 in november. They might extend the age to 35 but its not definite. Even if they do extend the age and I get a chance to sit for the test, I would have to score a 95 being a resident to have a good chance of getting called behind the people who do well and have the veteran points. Thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nightowl75 View Post
    Without the credits that number would sky rocket.

You realize you can already use 6 months of work experience in lieu of them right??

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nightowl75 View Post
    I think keeping college credits is a no brainer. The department already gets a huge number of candidates who apply. Without the credits that number would sky rocket. By having a requirement of college credits it weeds out the people who don't care enough about the job to go to school and get them. Its just one more way to make sure the people who are getting hired actually want this job 110%. I went as far as joining the military for the veterans points. This job takes a level of dedication and while having college credits won't make someone a better firefighter it will show the dedication one has to getting the job. Anyone who gets handed this job doesn't deserve it.
    when did they get rid of the college credit requirement? Is that new for the upcoming test or was that for previous tests.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    You realize you can already use 6 months of work experience in lieu of them right??
    I asked this is another thread that was actually mentioning it but will throw it out here as well since that thread isn't very active. I heard it was proposed by the vulcans that they give people who graduated from a "city school" points, lets say that happens, do they mean a public school or just a high school in NYC? and would that be in place of the resident points or in addition to?

Forum Member

I asked this is another thread that was actually mentioning it but will throw it out here as well since that thread isn't very active. I heard it was proposed by the vulcans that they give people who graduated from a "city school" points, lets say that happens, do they mean a public school or just a high school in NYC? and would that be in place of the resident points or in addition to?

Hey, Simply. Not to sound like a ******, but could you stop asking the same question in multiple threads? You just bumped up a thread that was from July of last year. If you have any question, I'd say your best bet would be this thread since we've all been through the process and a lot of the posters here are very knowledgeable.

And to answer your question, the high school point would probably be for NYC public high schools. And I believe it'd be in addition to the residency points. Please correct me if I'm wrong, guys. We'll just have to wait and see what this new testing process will be like.

Now, onto our little problem. When will this goddamn judge make his final ruling? FOCK!!!! Just had to vent, fellas.
    6019- was sitting at 13xx
    2000- now sitting at 18xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by My1Goal View Post
    Hey, Simply. Not to sound like a ******, but could you stop asking the same question in multiple threads? You just bumped up a thread that was from July of last year. If you have any question, I'd say your best bet would be this thread since we've all been through the process and a lot of the posters here are very knowledgeable.

And to answer your question, the high school point would probably be for NYC public high schools. And I believe it'd be in addition to the residency points. Please correct me if I'm wrong, guys. We'll just have to wait and see what this new testing process will be like.

Now, onto our little problem. When will this goddamn judge make his final ruling? FOCK!!!! Just had to vent, fellas.
    well that was the point of my first sentence, I should have included the word sorry first thou. I was reminded of the info in that thread and thus asked about it there, only to then realize that the thread wasn't very active and this one was. So Sorry again.

If you are correct and it's only for public schools then thats pretty screwed up because a large portion of the people who become here in nyc go to private or catholic schools. The wording is confusing for a few different reasons, but who even knows if it will go through.
    I have lived in NYC my whole life, it would suck for people who moved here if it ended up being a whole 8 points. It seems a little redundant in conjunction with the residency test and it would be more fair if it were just 3 HS points on top of the 5 residency points, instead of the full 5+8. Not sure if that made sense, sorry I have been reading this stuff all day and it stopped making full sense. I guess we can only wait and see.
    Last edited by simpllyhuge; 01-12-2011 at 10:11 PM.

Forum Member

The few times it has been distinguished it was mentioned as any NYC HS, not just public. The argument for giving points to NYC HS graduates is to get more NYCers in the ranks, not more minorities (at least that's what they are saying). If that is the case someone who goes to an NYC private HS is just as much an NYCer as someone who went to public school. Obviously we're all thinking the # of minorities who attend private school is not very high, I have no idea of the actual #s but I would prob agree with that.

I can't see them giving 5 residency points AND 8 HS graduate points, that would be redundant and more points than I think any other department gives. But that's just one clueless persons guess at what would make sense.

Forum Member

The Vulcans have pushed for this in the past and when they did it was for NYC Public High Schools only-which is probably why the Hispanic Society refused to support it considering how many hispanics in the City go to Catholic High Schools. I'd be very surprised if the Vulcans possition has changed-anyone really think they're going to give 8 points to Long Island guys that went to St. Francis Prep or guys from Westchester that went to Fordham???

Forum Member

this next test is gonna be something. i wonder how many points the vulcans will want to give out. its crazy to think that a vet with residency like myself will be in contention to lose a spot to someone who happened to graduate from a city hs. that whole proposition is off the wall

Quote Originally Posted by myles8683 View Post
    this next test is gonna be something. i wonder how many points the vulcans will want to give out. its crazy to think that a vet with residency like myself will be in contention to lose a spot to someone who happened to graduate from a city hs. that whole proposition is off the wall
    Common sense went out the window a long time ago my friend.

MembersZone Subscriber

Really wanting the job has nothing to do with going out and getting college credits. It has everything to do with who has the money and resources to do so, which to me would be a form of discrimination against those who don't.
    The American Opportunity Tax Credit allows up to $2,500 a year for education, to include tuition, books, and other education related materials. I understand that it even covers a new computer if you do distance learning (online courses). No excuses. I don't want to hear about discrimination and lack of resources. I was raised by a single mother working for low pay, and not enough money to eat always. I got some money from the Pell Grant, and also worked both in a grocery store and also loading trucks on the overnight to pay for my tuition at Baruch. That Tax Credit program is a credit, not a write off. Your outlay is repaid 100% by the gov't. IIRC, 40% is refundable, meaning that if your tax liability goes to zero dollars before you hit that $2,500, you get a check from Uncle Sam for 40% of the balance that you laid out. Free money. No excuses. People need to do for themselves, hold themselves accountable, rather than blame discrimination, lack of opportunity, etc. etc. for failure to advance on the socioeconomic ladder.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson

Forum Member

Question

Does anyone have the answer as to why the college credits were removed.

Was it part of the overall lets make the test and the application process so

much easier, part of the dumming down of America. How come the NYPD still

has the requirement as part of its application process.

Thread Information