Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

Forum Member

They are firefighter candidates like the rest of us. This thread has been FULL of helpful information for everyone that's followed it. No need to change that now. I cannot see a reason why someone would withhold information so stupid as an explanation to something that appears to be quite important in some way. The only thing I can come up with is that they themselves were told this, and don't know the real reason.

Igloo go to your user cp and turn on pm's.
    Last edited by Irish6019; 06-12-2008 at 08:21 PM.

Forum Member

Default July 30th and vision exam question

Hello everyone, I recently received a packet for processing on July 30th and a DCAS letter for CPAT orientation on June 25th and 28th. Would anyone know if the vision exam will be during either of these events? I'm scheduled for LASIK in early August and wanted to know if I'd be alright. Thanks for any info! For what its worth, my list number is mid 1700s.

Forum Member

you don't walk on the sidewalks oir carpets b/c you aren't good enough too do so. Your a probationary ff and do not deserve the respect as to walk on the sidewalks and certain carpets.....you will be told about this.....

Forum Member

BROOKLYN718.............they have a very good chance of making the july class so worry about yourself and learn how to be a team player....not an ***hole.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrOOkLyN718 View Post
    i would also like clarification about the sidewalk thing, and dont just say "dont walk on it"...give me the reason why i shouldnt...
    You can walk anywhere you want. But once the DIs tell you to stay off the sidewalk, I suggest you listen and not ask why. That goes for most everything you're told to do, when it comes to disipline, formation and tradition. For the most part, orders on the fireground do not afford the luxury of a long explaination, you simply carry them out.

A lot of good information has been passed around here. I've watched you guys helping each other along and passing on good information. Now a query somewhat demands: "give me the reason why i shouldnt" followed with a "looking at your #'s on the list, both of you wont make the july class anyway ;0) ...im laughing the hardest now!". I suggest a sudden and complete attitude change or your squad will throw you under the bus by week 2.

Forum Member

Exclamation in response..

Quote Originally Posted by FIRST12U View Post
    BROOKLYN718.............they have a very good chance of making the july class so worry about yourself and learn how to be a team player....not an ***hole.
    -i am a team player, an overall nice guy, and i am very passive; i would bleed for my squad and i havent even met them yet! just dont give me a hard time about **it...this is a give-give situation, information and knowledge wise...dont be a d**k.
    Last edited by BrOOkLyN718; 06-12-2008 at 10:27 PM.

Forum Member

Cool im done..

this is my last post about this matter...anyone offended, i apologize. im done.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Irish6019 View Post
    Igloo go to your user cp and turn on pm's.
    I got it on man.

Forum Member

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by hopefully09 View Post
    Also, thanks for laughing at my list number.
    -that was my fault...but your explaination about things NOW is what i was looking for in the first place, straight forward and simple. hopefully i get to meet you in the academy..best of luck.
    Last edited by BrOOkLyN718; 06-12-2008 at 11:01 PM.

Forum Member

New news, you guys will like this: Letters re. the Monday 6/16 processing day is as follows: Report to Building 9 at the Fire Academy at 8am in business attire (i.e., a suit) for a fun filled day of paperwork.

July 1 is confirmed in writing (of course, its not set in stone until you wake up on the 2nd, having lived it on the 1st) as the academy start date.

Letters were overnighted today, and we should be getting them by saturday. That was the contents of the phone call with investigations I had today, and repeated later by a call from my Capt. with news of the Ops order coming down.

Cant wait to see/meet you guys there!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SkylinePCG View Post
    Letters were overnighted today, and we should be getting them by saturday.
    Are you talking about appointment letters? How will they know we passed the run?

Forum Member

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by jacobeast2 View Post
    Are you talking about appointment letters? How will they know we passed the run?
    -hes prob. referring to the people that already did the run, but for you and i, we'll prob. get the letters handed to us after the run saturday.

Forum Member

Default Cpat Orientation

For those of you who recd the notice for the cpat orientation, here are some answers to your questions you may have. All taken from:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/html/em...l#physicaltest

Q: What are the major components of the CPAT testing process?

The CPAT testing process has three phases:

2 Orientation sessions you must attend at least one session.
    2 Practice Test sessions you must attend at least one session.
    1 Final Test session your last chance to pass the physical test (see more information below).

Q: What if I cannot attend an Orientation session or Practice Test session?
    A: Attendance is mandatory for at least one Orientation session and one Practice Test session. If you cannot attend one or more Orientation sessions you will have to sign a waiver form when you come to the Practice Test. If you do not attend at least one Practice Test session, you must sign a waiver at your Final Test session.

Q: What is the Orientation session?
    A: The Orientation session is a chance for you to view a brief video about the CPAT, try the equipment for each test event on the CPAT course, and ask questions about the CPAT test.

Q: What are the Practice Test sessions?
    A: The Practice Test sessions are a chance for you to attempt the CPAT course in a timed session. If you pass the CPAT during a Practice Test it will count as a passing exam score. If you do not pass during the Practice Test, you must return for your scheduled Final Test session, which will be your final opportunity to pass the test.

Q: What is the Final Test session?
    A: If you do not pass the CPAT during the timed Practice Test sessions, you should attend your Final Test session, which will be your final opportunity to pass the test.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BrOOkLyN718 View Post
    -hes prob. referring to the people that already did the run, but for you and i, we'll prob. get the letters handed to us after the run saturday.
    Makes sense. Forgot about the promo guys.

Forum Member

Default Couple questions from a newbie

Hey all,

This is my first time posting though I'm certainly not new to the forums, I've been checking on here for updates pretty much since I got home from taking the written test last yr. I just received my investigation packet in the mail (list # 17xx)and a notice telling me I have two CPAT orientation sessions at the end of this month. I'm a little paranoid about making sure I do everything right. I just have a couple questions for those of you who have already gone through the process. I'll keep it short:

- In the packet, it says to list all previous employment dating back to the time you left school. I graduated college in December and started my current job in January. Does this mean I should only list my current employer or should I also list any work study jobs or summer employment I did when I was in school?

- For the CPAT orientation, is it mandatory to attend both sessions? I was a little confused by this because I have two sessions in one week. Would they allow you to attend the second session if you didn't show up for the first one?

- Also, what is the proper attire for the orientation? How "hands on" does it actually get?

I know most if not all of this has probably been addressed at one time or another on the forums, any advice/help would be much appreciated though. Good luck to everyone who has already gotten through the process and is doing the run this weekend. Thanks!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Irish6019 View Post
    I would appreciate a real answer as well. There's far from any need to be a dick here man.
    This is the WRONG way to look at this. You really should get used to just saying, "okay" when someone tells you TO DO or NOT TO DO something. I'm not breaking your stones here man, but when someone who's been through it is offering some advice just take it. It's all helpful.

Get used to this: THEY TELL YOU NOTHING AT THE ROCK. You don't get any advanced warnings or info. You get your schedule for the next two days and it's subject to change. I know it's hard to grasp, at least I thought it was, but you are a drone! They will tell you what to do and you just do it. You can't prepare for anything in the schedule, so be open and ready for anything that's coming your way.

As for the sidewalk....
    ...this is the answer: You don't walk on it because they tell you not too. THAT'S IT! That's as good of an explaination as you'll get and in this case it's the actual answer.

You truely want to be NO ONE. You don't want to be seen, you don't want to be heard. The easiest and best way to get through is to do nothing that will draw attention to yourself. Just keep your head down and charge through.

Prepare everyday. I used to eat a little at home, then have a little breakfast in the auditorium when we got there. You have some time almost everyday to kill in the auditorium. Eat and STUDY! If your Roll Call is 6:50am, you will have to get there at 5:30am to march in with your squad. This leaves you time to have an apple or some granola. Anything! You should be drinking a gallon of water every day that you're there and you should drink plenty the night before.

The days go fast, but they are still VERY long and you'll be tired and sweaty, so keep hydrated and fueled. My class started in the summer, so trust me. It's not just P/T that kills you, it's the evolutions too. You're in full gear for 5 hours a day and that's an extra 50 lbs you carry from class to class.

It's a love hate experiance and you should make the most of it, even the worst days! When you walk across that stage and shake the mayors hand it will seem like the blink of an eye!

Good luck!
    CableGuy516 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    This is the WRONG way to look at this. You really should get used to just saying, "okay" when someone tells you TO DO or NOT TO DO something. I'm not breaking your stones here man, but when someone who's been through it is offering some advice just take it. It's all helpful.

Get used to this: THEY TELL YOU NOTHING AT THE ROCK. You don't get any advanced warnings or info. You get your schedule for the next two days and it's subject to change. I know it's hard to grasp, at least I thought it was, but you are a drone! They will tell you what to do and you just do it. You can't prepare for anything in the schedule, so be open and ready for anything that's coming your way.

As for the sidewalk....
    ...this is the answer: You don't walk on it because they tell you not too. THAT'S IT! That's as good of an explaination as you'll get and in this case it's the actual answer.

You truely want to be NO ONE. You don't want to be seen, you don't want to be heard. The easiest and best way to get through is to do nothing that will draw attention to yourself. Just keep your head down and charge through.

Prepare everyday. I used to eat a little at home, then have a little breakfast in the auditorium when we got there. You have some time almost everyday to kill in the auditorium. Eat and STUDY! If your Roll Call is 6:50am, you will have to get there at 5:30am to march in with your squad. This leaves you time to have an apple or some granola. Anything! You should be drinking a gallon of water every day that you're there and you should drink plenty the night before.

The days go fast, but they are still VERY long and you'll be tired and sweaty, so keep hydrated and fueled. My class started in the summer, so trust me. It's not just P/T that kills you, it's the evolutions too. You're in full gear for 5 hours a day and that's an extra 50 lbs you carry from class to class.

It's a love hate experiance and you should make the most of it, even the worst days! When you walk across that stage and shake the mayors hand it will seem like the blink of an eye!

Good luck!
    Great post, thanks southbx
    Once again good luck to everyone on the run

Forum Member

The only reason I had kind of an attitude is because this thread has been THE single most useful tool in helping me along in the hiring process; and a couple guys come along spouting information with little explanation as to why this exists and refused to give an answer. I by no means would ever ask a DI why if I was told to something. I simply felt that the simple reply with no reason was a turn away from everything this thread has been for countless people. Best of luck to everyone tomorrow, I'll see you there.

MembersZone Subscriber

First of all, congrats to all you NY folks. I read this thread now and again for fun, because seriously it's so full of drama. I'm actually about to start training for the LAFD out here in California, so I can relate to everything you guys are going through.

Regarding the idea of just doing everything you're told, I agree that you need to just shut up and do it. They're trying to train you to immediately carry out an order with no hesitations, which is what is expected of a line firefighter. My stepdad was a training Captain in a smaller department and he used to give seemingly random directives to his recruits all the time (for example, only opening doors to the classroom with your left hand) not because he cared which hand you used to open a door, but it was simply to train his recruits to follow orders.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. Good luck to all you guys. I'll cheer you guys on from out here if you'll return the favor and wish us all luck in Los Angeles.

Forum Member

best of luck to you bro. i am glad that we are such good entertainment
    7xx

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by tnk5667 View Post
    best of luck to you bro. i am glad that we are such good entertainment
    -LMAOOO...

Forum Member

Last edited by claneshark; 06-16-2008 at 04:06 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Poor horse

Was out at the Quartermaster today and saw something there that hasn't been covered lately; bags.
    QM has a black duffel bag for $29.99.
    My recommendation; don't buy it. It's a POS. A lot of guys bought it and it was falling apart within a week.
    Underarmour makes a really good bag that held up for me and most others. You'll be instructed to buy a unmarked bag, but that is hard to do these days without the Nike Swoosh or other logos out there. You'll be putting tape over these logos anyways.
    If not these, something with a good rigid bottom to it. That'll make holding it over your head just slightly easier . Nothing like trying to hold your >30# bag over your head that's acting like a bag of potatos. (sp?) Hint: Lock your elbows.
    Last edited by ffbam24; 06-13-2008 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Bag claimed
    CableGuy516 likes this.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default And while I'm at it...

Day one: Orientation

You'll hit a homerun if you show up with an extra $9 money order. (Still $9 right?)
    Extra pen or two.
    Start stocking up on duct tape.
    Sharpie markers.
    Show up at least an hour early.
    Button ALL the buttons on your suit's coat.
    Stay off the.....

When you guys come in through the housewatch area, you'll see several helmets mounted on the wall. Each helmet represents a member who died in the line of duty in or during a foreign conflict. There is a book there giving detail of where they were in the service of our country.
    The 1918 Influenza Epidemic
    Argonne Forest WWI
    Battle of the Bulge
    Iwo Jima
    Guadacanal
    Korea
    Vietnam
    Iraq

You'll be freaking out at that point, but so you guys know, that is what those are representing.
    CableGuy516 likes this.

Forum Member

Default 6019

I haven't gone running since my MTA police physical this past Jan 2008. I did the 1 1/2 mile run around the park by my house in 10:52. What time are they looking for in order for you to pass before the academy starts?

Thread Information