Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 53 of 618 FirstFirst ... 3435051525354555663103153553 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 12347
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Investigator

I know this has been said before but for all of you that think you have a shot at getting into the June academy you should be on the phone talking to your investigator and making sure your investigation case is closed. I talked to my investigator last week she needed one more document from me. She did not tell me my case was closed then so I called today and was told my file is closed and I am all set and have a decent chance at the June academy with the stipulation of the run. Good luck to everyone and keep working out.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with the poor timid spirits, who know neither victory nor defeat." FDR

Forum Member

Default Run

If we fail the run, do we get to try again on the next class or are you thrown off the list? My investigator told me today that the run would be before june 14th because that is when we would have to be processed by.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Run

I am not certain but I would venture to guess that you would be thrown off the list. The way the used to do it was in the academy so if you failed you washed out and could not come back. I am only guessing but I would say you probably wash out and are off the list OR they are doing it this way so that it gives people a second chance to make it into the academy.

For some who know they are not in good enough shape to pass the run it may be wise to defer to the January academy. It would give you more time to prep. So you don't make it into June but at least you are not thrown off the list.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with the poor timid spirits, who know neither victory nor defeat." FDR

Forum Member

Just to give a horror story...

I got a call from my investigator saying that I needed to fax some additional info. So I did, and then called and confirmed that they got it, and they confirmed with me.
    I called today to confirm my stuff was all set, and I was told they never got the stuff I faxed. They were very apologetic and told me to re-fax it. But it just shows you you need to stay ontop of it!!

Also, I was told that I was "most probably" in for the June class (assuming I passed the run)...... 4xx

Forum Member

Just got a call from my investigator. She said im good to go. All i need to do is fax a recent pay stub and she'll close my case. She also told me i will be receiving either a letter or call to do the run sometime next week so its not specified whether they're calling or sending letters for the run. All i know is my investigator said my case is closed once i send the pay stub and to expect the call or letter for the run sometime next week. I dont know about u guys but there's no way in hell ima fail that run. I dont care if i pass out after im done as long as i secure my spot in this academy class. Good luck to everyone. This feels good, this feels real good.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Investigator

Quick question for you guys who have been in touch with investigators. Have you been calling from the get go or did they contact you after the initial interview? I am absolutely unable to get a hold of mine. I've called all different times of day and left numerous messages, only one of which was returned and that was a quick question about the medical 2 months ago. Since then, nothing. I'm hoping this means all is well but some of the things I been reading are giving me the willies. Is there a main number anyone knows of to at least speak to somebody? I would hate to get this far to hear I didn't get in because of a simple thing that could've been resolved with a phone call.

Forum Member

Im not the greatest athlete in the world, and fireman dont have to be track stars, but if people are even questioning whether or not they can run 1.5 miles in under 13 minutes...should they be going into this academy?

Up till last week when i went running with another 6019 guy I thought we had to finish in under 10:30 to avoid remedial. Turns out i was mistaken; I don't know where the hell i got that number from.

But in a way, i was frustrated when i found out it was sub-13. At sub-11, i thought a lot of out of shape people might be eliminated, but at sub 13?? Is this actually going to eliminate anyone?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by aal2016 View Post
    But in a way, i was frustrated when i found out it was sub-13. At sub-11, i thought a lot of out of shape people might be eliminated, but at sub 13?? Is this actually going to eliminate anyone?
    I can only speak for myself but I run 5 1/2 miles 3 times a week in about 50 minutes for the past 6 months. Before that I ran the regular USMC 3 mile runs and all other associated PT. That 1.5 mile run hurts me worse than any other PT I've ever done. I can do it but it takes me just under 12 minutes and my a** is officially kicked when I finish. Strangely enough, if I keep running past that 1.5 mark my stride and breathing even out and my pace increases, but that first few minutes is a b**ch. Don't be surprised to see failures; they wouldn't only run you 1.5 if it was as easy as you feel it is.

You may lose up to a dozen.

And remember; during the last few weeks before a class the investigators are especially busy as they get everyone's paperwork finished up. Incessantly calling them until you hear something back is wasting their time.

In general, if you don't hear anything negative back, you don't need to call. They're pretty good at doing their jobs down there.

The final waiting sucks, but you have to get used to it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Running

For all going into the run realize that you have to run at a 8 min 40 sec pace pr mile to finish 1.5 miles in 13 min. So no matter how far you run if you don't spend some time pacing yourself at 8:40 per mile you are doing yourself in essence no good!

I'll use Jaco post as an example. Running 5.5 miles in about 50 minutes is around an 9:10 mile pace (rounded up for math use). This is probably a good pace for Jaco and his body is used to it. To pass the run Jaco has to shave 30 seconds off his mile time or 45 sec off the total time of the 1.5 mile run to make 13 min and has to shave 1:10 from his mile and 1:45 from the total run to make 12 min. THAT IS HUGE!!!! This undertaking is difficult hence the reason why Jaco is so shot after running the 1.5 miles. His body is not used to running at an 8:40(13 min 1.5 miles) or a 8 min(12 min 1.5 miles) pace and it is being taxed hard to do so. [On a side note the reason Jaco's breathing and stride even out if he runs more is because his body is settling into his normal pace of around 9:10 per mile]

Now some may say well he is running a shorter distance so he should be faster and this is true, to an extent. If you run the majority of your runs at a set pace your body/mind get used to this pace and comfortable. Trying to speed up this pace throws your body/mind off. Will you be quicker probably but how much is hard to say.

Working on this it tough if you don't have the ability to know the exact distance you are running. You want to try and run as far as you can on your 8:40 pace. Running further than the 1.5 miles at this pace is what is going to improve your stamina. Set up your 1.5 mile course but also know where the .5 mile, 1 mile, 2 mile and 2.5 mile mark is. You can use www.mapmyride.com for this.
    At the .5 mark you should be at
    13 Min 1.5 Miles .5 mile = 4:20 1 mile = 8:40 1.5 miles = 13 min
    12 Min 1.5 Miles .5 mile = 4 min 1 mile = 8 min 1.5 miles = 12 min
    when you finish the 1.5 miles you should try and make it to 2 miles then to 2.5 miles at the same pace.
    This same work out can be done on a 400m track 2 laps = .5 miles.

You need to train at or above your goal in order to succeed. Good luck.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sffdnyhopeful View Post
    Hey Skyline,
    What dept orders were you looking at regarding the 73 promotionals. I was looking at the dept orders and i didnt see anything mentioning that.
    I shouldnt have called them dept. orders. They were actually 'personnel orders.' Thats why you didnt see them.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SkylinePCG View Post
    I shouldnt have called them dept. orders. They were actually 'personnel orders.' Thats why you didnt see them.
    That makes more sense. Thanks for the reply.

Forum Member

Default Run

Anybody else have anxiety like me? Its the only thing on my mind. Everybody I talk to says "dont worry, i'll be fine." I'm nervous though, i can barely do the 1.5 in 13 min. I'm hoping the day of the run that i'm pushed even harder and will finish in time.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ant195 View Post
    For all going into the run realize that you have to run at a 8 min 40 sec pace pr mile to finish 1.5 miles in 13 min. So no matter how far you run if you don't spend some time pacing yourself at 8:40 per mile you are doing yourself in essence no good!

I'll use Jaco post as an example. Running 5.5 miles in about 50 minutes is around an 9:10 mile pace (rounded up for math use). This is probably a good pace for Jaco and his body is used to it. To pass the run Jaco has to shave 30 seconds off his mile time or 45 sec off the total time of the 1.5 mile run to make 13 min and has to shave 1:10 from his mile and 1:45 from the total run to make 12 min. THAT IS HUGE!!!! This undertaking is difficult hence the reason why Jaco is so shot after running the 1.5 miles. His body is not used to running at an 8:40(13 min 1.5 miles) or a 8 min(12 min 1.5 miles) pace and it is being taxed hard to do so. [On a side note the reason Jaco's breathing and stride even out if he runs more is because his body is settling into his normal pace of around 9:10 per mile]

Now some may say well he is running a shorter distance so he should be faster and this is true, to an extent. If you run the majority of your runs at a set pace your body/mind get used to this pace and comfortable. Trying to speed up this pace throws your body/mind off. Will you be quicker probably but how much is hard to say.

Working on this it tough if you don't have the ability to know the exact distance you are running. You want to try and run as far as you can on your 8:40 pace. Running further than the 1.5 miles at this pace is what is going to improve your stamina. Set up your 1.5 mile course but also know where the .5 mile, 1 mile, 2 mile and 2.5 mile mark is. You can use www.mapmyride.com for this.
    At the .5 mark you should be at
    13 Min 1.5 Miles .5 mile = 4:20 1 mile = 8:40 1.5 miles = 13 min
    12 Min 1.5 Miles .5 mile = 4 min 1 mile = 8 min 1.5 miles = 12 min
    when you finish the 1.5 miles you should try and make it to 2 miles then to 2.5 miles at the same pace.
    This same work out can be done on a 400m track 2 laps = .5 miles.

You need to train at or above your goal in order to succeed. Good luck.
    Good post, but I don't think I'm a good example. I run 5 1/2 at 9:10 because it keeps my HR at 85% of my max, not because it's as fast as I can go. I didn't mention that I also do 2 short runs of 2 miles at 7:40 between long run days. My current 1.5 mile time is 11:20 so this works for me. The point of my last post was even those of us in shape and working hard can still have issues with the run, regardless of how hard we work.

Default info

Hello Gentlemen,

Just some around the horn about the 1.5 mile run.
    13:00 or over = Out
    12:00-12:59 = In the academy but Remedial treatment
    Under 12:00 = In

Also some helpful sites that should be extremely beneficial into getting you into great shape, unconventional workouts but fun/different, many special operations groups use it, ES units, etc..

I've been doing these religiously for about 3 months now, pullups skyrocketted.

If i'm not mistaken, I think you have to complete 30 Pushups, 30 Situps, 4 dead hang pull ups 2nd day in the academy or you're booted as well. Hope I can receive some clarification.

Www.Crossfit.com
    Www.Crossfitbyoverload.com

Also,
    Any idea who here on the forum has the highest list # called for the run?

Forum Member

Guys, all of the numbers for the run you are talking about are BARE MINIMUM!!!!

You should be ready to run 3 miles at a 8 minute mile pace on day one. We got all the way up to 7 miles withing a couple of months. It's easier running with someone, but still, think distance and stamina.

It's gonna get real, real quick, so be over prepared! Also, remember, this is just running, wait till you get your first job, then it gets real faster than you can ever imagine.

Best of luck guys!
    Last edited by FDsouthbxNY; 05-30-2008 at 07:23 AM.

Default A little bit of information

Guys, take this as a heads up. I finally got a hold of my investigator this morning. I asked if my case was closed and she said that it is still open, because they will most likely not reach the 900's for the June class.

If you have read my previos posts, I have stated that my list number is in the upper 900's. The investigator said that my run will not be done this June and that I will be processing for JAN 2009.

Hopefully this answers some questions that people might be toying with. Good luck to you all below 900.

Forum Member

I took the Psych on 1 May. Does anyone know that if there was a problem with it would they have notified me yet.

Forum Member

Cool

Hey guys, i received another call today reaffirming that my case was closed and i will receive a letter stating when to report for the run. Im in the 1xx's so i know its not a surprise to most of u but it is to me. To be this close to getting on the job that seemed so far away is very uplifting. The process felt like forever but when u think about it it wasn't that long just the anticipation makes it longer. Anyway congratulations to anybody else who will be getting offered the job for this class or any future classes to come. As far as this run, if u are in decent shape, u can pass it if u push urself. I dont care if your about to pass out or vomit all u have to do is have the drive and want for the job and u will push urself. When i was in the Army, we had to run 2 miles in 13:30 or less to get 100 on the run for the PT test. 18:00 was passing. So a mile and a half in under 13 is challenging but not impossible. by the end of boot camp in the army which is 2 months i was running up to 5 miles so by the end of 6 months in the academy imagine what u will be running. That mile and a half will be a walk in the park. All im saying is if u have the drive and motivation to get this job u will push ur body to its limits no matter what they throw in front of u. Good Luck Gentlemen.

Forum Member

Exclamation Psych

LIFire,

May 1 - you should have the psyc results already. It just depends on how busy they are and what your list number is and how quickly they need to process you according to list number...

my understanding is that they retain the psyc results for there personal use, but yo never get to see them. If there is an issue you are called in to review parts of the test. as long as you were consistent and didnt reply yes to hearing voices or killing yourself you should be fine.

I know this whole no news is good news attitude has been the center of a lot of debate, and I agree - follow up with your invesigators, about references and the medical- but the psych should be cool. in this case no news is good news. if youre worried though, call CID.

dont sweat the psych too much. you didn't draw a noose from the tree like the guy at my psych did?

Thread Information