Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzz2259 View Post
    No problem bro!! I see what you mean.. I am interested in the answer to that as well. I am sure once on the job, we will have the chance to work different positioins/ companies.

I've heard that Engine companies is where you want ot start off. I don't know how true or accurate of a statement that is. Hopefully FFBAM can gives us more insight.
    Yeah I heard something like that also. Because if you in a house and you get lost, no matter what you could follow the hose line to get out. On Ladder you have to remember the house and were the windows are, If not you'll be a BBQ FF.
    Last edited by Jimmy2times; 06-15-2008 at 02:26 PM.

Forum Member

From what i've heard is that you do 1/2 your probation time in a ladder co, and the other 1/2 in an engine co. This is not fact its just what I heard. And congrat's to everyone who passed the run, and looking forward to doing it for the Jan 09 class!!

11xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy2times View Post
    If the FDNY is only gonna train 300 rookies at a time, Why did they reach 817 list numbers? for the 2 class of 2008? Does anybody know if maybe the FDNY will have bigger classes since there only gonna have 2 classes a year instead of the 4 classes they used to .....?
    I haven't heard anything about bigger class. Someone said that 315 probies made this class, which is give or take, the usual number of people for a probie class.

I am thinking that they reached 817, because some people did not pass all the steps in the process, decided that Firefighting was not for them, or just took the test and had no intention in pursuing it in the first place.

I have several cop friends who took the test just for "fun," but are happy where they are and do not wish to transfer over to FD at this point in time. WHY? I dont know... We just have to play it by ear.. More information will surface, I am sure about it.
    FDNY 6019 #9XX

Forum Member

Hey Cuzz is your background invest closed? Just curious because mine was just started like 2 1/2 weeks ago

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LIfire31 View Post
    Hey Cuzz is your background invest closed? Just curious because mine was just started like 2 1/2 weeks ago
    I spoke to my investigator about two weeks ago and she said it was still open. She told me I am a candidate for the JAN 2009 class.

Now that this class has been processed and entering the academy, C.I.D. can focus on completing OUR investigations for the next class. I am done with everything else.. How about you??
    FDNY 6019 #9XX

Forum Member

I have completed everything else as well. I know that I called my invest to update some info and was told that they haven't sent out any of my paperwork to employers

11xx

Forum Member

LIFIRE:

Turn on your PM
    FDNY 6019 #9XX

Forum Member

I turned it on

Forum Member

From what i've heard is that you do 1/2 your probation time in a ladder co, and the other 1/2 in an engine co. This is not fact its just what I heard. And congrat's to everyone who passed the run, and looking forward to doing it for the Jan 09 class!!

11xx
    This is not true at all that is fact. You may be detailed to a truck or work a roster tour at a truck if assigned to an engine but you do not flip flop companies. Some companies NEVER send a probie out...

Also, unless you have a good hook your station assignment is a roll of the dice. If you are very tall chances are you will be assigned to a truck, really short guys shouldn't be surprised to end up on an engine.
    6019 #47x

Forum Member

I'm 6'2. Thanks didn't know all of that. You hear so many diff things never know which ones are true, you know what I mean

11xx

Forum Member

I am 5'8.. YEA I AM SHORT.. It sucks, but I get by.. lol
    FDNY 6019 #9XX

Forum Member

Lol. I am just hoping the summer flies by and Jan is here b4 we know it. Usually want the summer to be here but not this yr.

Forum Member

Don't get me wrong I know a guy about 5'5" who is a truckie so this is just a generality.
    6019 #47x

Forum Member

We just have to look at it this way.. You have another six months to continue working out, running and keeping that level of fitness thats required..
    FDNY 6019 #9XX

Forum Member

Exactly, I've been training everyday for it. I have been running everyother day and weights the other days.

Forum Member

That's it bro.. Keep it up and before you know it, we'll pounding the pavement at the rock.. Time flies by.. The year just started (or at least is seems that way) and Its already mid june.. Where have I been these past 6 months.. That's what happens when you keep busy.. Another 6 months is a cake walk.. The anxiety is what will drive us ALL insane..
    FDNY 6019 #9XX

Forum Member

Ain't that the truth. I just hope that if everything is good and we are in a qualifed status that they will tell us if we ask so we have an idea of what to plan for

MembersZone Subscriber

Default questions, questions

Yeah I hear something like that also. Because if you in a house and you get lost, no matter what you could follow the hose line to get out. On Ladder you have to remember the house and were the windows are...
    It's good to remember the basics, but as a member of a Ladder company, you may not be going in or coming out where the lines are stretched. OV and Roof.
    If the FDNY is only gonna train 300 rookies at a time, Why did they reach 817 list numbers? for the 2 class of 2008? Does anybody know if maybe the FDNY will have bigger classes since there only gonna have 2 classes a year instead of the 4 classes they used to .....?
    The department has been running classes of 300+ for about two years now. These are the bigger classes.
    Cuzzz also got it right with the reasons for the numbers there. (817 / 315 = 2.59) This gives you the ~2:1 ratio it takes to fill a position. Some reasons for it: People may be under the minimum age to accept the appointment, have to serve out their military commitment, failed CPAT, failed run*, failed background, failed medical, deferred.
    I remember I sat next to a cop on day one who was on for 5 years. He didn't come back for day two. Sucks for the guy who could've been in his spot.
    From what i've heard is that you do 1/2 your probation time in a ladder co, and the other 1/2 in an engine co.
    I can't speak for every house, because there may be some out there that do it that way. As it is now, guys coming out of the 6 month academy only have 6 months in the house until they finish probation. A helluva lot shorter than guys previously had.
    Mostly, when you are assigned to your company, be it Engine or Truck, that is what you finish your probation on. Part of "doing the right thing" is picking up tours for guys and often that will involve crossing the floor to the other rig for a tour. Roster tours you will do with your company.

Just remember this for now: There will be A LOT of information being thrown at you regarding UFA, medical benefits, dental, pension, 457, ITHP, 50% indicator. My head is spinning thinking about all that again. Don't worry too much about where you want to be assigned right now.

I'll get to the other question.....
    Last edited by ffbam24; 06-15-2008 at 11:58 AM.

Forum Member

I don't care what house I go or what kind of company. Just give me a chance. That's all i'm asking

MembersZone Subscriber

For a rookie what company is more intense Engine or Ladder? Could you let us know the pros and cons of the two?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzz2259 View Post
    I've heard that Engine companies is where you want ot start off. I don't know how true or accurate of a statement that is...
    There are a lot of brothers on the job that feel one should start out on an engine and then if you want, transfer to a truck. Being on an engine gives you an understanding of how fire behaves, and how we react to it.
    Fire eventually goes out, but then you're just looking at having saved the foundation. Here that could mean you saved an entire block of foundation. Fire gets put out by generally one means; applying copious amounts of water. The one holding the nozzle is the one who does that.
    I love the saying, "One guy put out the fire, while 150 guys helped him."

Which is more intense? I can't commit to either one. They are both equally important. Truck goes in to locate the fire and victims, and if possible hold the fire until the engine company comes in with their line.
    Engine operates as a team to stretch a line and make a push.
    Truck has various positions that have to operate independently but in a coordinated manner. One of the tougher things about being on a truck is that you have to get to the fire floor or above with all your tools and equipment, AND THEN go to work. Stretching a hoseline is no picnic either. This is where physical fitness comes into play.

That's a great answer!...a FF once told me "Engine Co goes to the "burn unit" while Ladder Co goes to the award ceremonies"....
    That was a great answer. I feel that if you're not a buff in some way coming onto the job, you're not into the job.
    I can't think of any con's yet. Pro's? I love this job and can't wait to go back to work.

Just remember, one of your DI's you meet will say this at some point, "This job is bigger than you."

MembersZone Subscriber

Bam, can you give us any kind of idea of what goes on for the processing day? We have to be there Monday. All we've been told is that it's a full day of paperwork but I'm wondering what they cover. Also, anybody that has trouble with pullups, check out this website. www.westernmarineofficer.com/Armstrong. It works, and it doesn't take alot of time to do.

MembersZone Subscriber

Expect a little yelling , some running around, standing at attention, sitting at attention, A LOT of paperwork.
    I can't recall what the first day's paperwork included. Just make sure you have a couple extra pens.
    Bring an extra $9 money order for the guy that forgets his.
    Make sure you have copies of marriage cert, divorce decrees, children's birth certificate(s), immunization records, etc.
    Have the addresses of any next of kin/emergency contact handy.
    Know your's and any significant other's social security numbers.
    It's pretty straight-forward.
    Just don't forget the money order. Or picture ID and your appointment letter for that matter.

SALMON!
    Last edited by ffbam24; 06-15-2008 at 01:08 PM.
    CableGuy516 likes this.

Congrats to everyone going in to the new class. I hope to be hot on your tail.. Can anyone tell me whose been through it recently about the medical. If you do fail the stairs and have to re-test them, do they make you go through the whole deal again like vitals etc., or do you just come back and get thrown on the stepmill again? Thanks gentlemen...

Forum Member

Also, you need to find out where the closest fire house is to your apartment in the city. For me, its Engine 319 but find out which one it is for you, i hear they ask you so they can notify that rig to check up on you if your AWOL or something along those lines.
    7xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    There are a lot of brothers on the job that feel one should start out on an engine and then if you want, transfer to a truck. Being on an engine gives you an understanding of how fire behaves, and how we react to it.
    Fire eventually goes out, but then you're just looking at having saved the foundation. Here that could mean you saved an entire block of foundation. Fire gets put out by generally one means; applying copious amounts of water. The one holding the nozzle is the one who does that.
    I love the saying, "One guy put out the fire, while 150 guys helped him."

Which is more intense? I can't commit to either one. They are both equally important. Truck goes in to locate the fire and victims, and if possible hold the fire until the engine company comes in with their line.
    Engine operates as a team to stretch a line and make a push.
    Truck has various positions that have to operate independently but in a coordinated manner. One of the tougher things about being on a truck is that you have to get to the fire floor or above with all your tools and equipment, AND THEN go to work. Stretching a hoseline is no picnic either. This is where physical fitness comes into play.

That was a great answer. I feel that if you're not a buff in some way coming onto the job, you're not into the job.
    I can't think of any con's yet. Pro's? I love this job and can't wait to go back to work.

Just remember, one of your DI's you meet will say this at some point, "This job is bigger than you."

FFBAM I'm sure I speak for most of us reading/following this thread ..... If I ever get to meet you in person one day .... The 1st .... 2nd .... & 3rd round of drinks is on me! Thx's for all the great info! Your part of what makes this thing we have so good! (The 6019 THREAD)
    Last edited by Jimmy2times; 06-15-2008 at 03:59 PM.

Thread Information