Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 551 of 618 FirstFirst ... 51451501541548549550551552553554561601 ... LastLast
Results 11,001 to 11,020 of 12347
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    Does any one have a guess as to how long After the test one would need to be ready for the physical.
    Well the first class off 6019 was put in a year and a half after the test was given. Can't really go off that because the prior list hadn't expired yet. When this test is given they'll have to hire off it right away because our test is "invalid". I would still say you have around six months from when you take the test if you are the first round to get canvassed. Thats just a best guess.
    FDNY Exam 6019 List# 14XX.
    Lawsuit Victim: Completed process, cancelled academy.

FDNY Exam 2000 List# 6XX.

Forum Member

Does any one have a guess as to how long After the test one would need to be ready for the physical.
    Train right now for the physical, don't wait until after the written buy a vest and just start running

joke/jōk/
    Noun: CPAT or Candidate Physical Ability Test
    I should have cleaned up the chili.....why didn't I clean up the chili!!!!!!

Forum Member

I was under the impression it affects your final score and how fast you get into the academy? is it just pass or fail?

I have a weighted vest but forgot how heavy I need to set it, is it 75 or 100. Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 05-20-2011 at 02:38 PM.

Forum Member

I was under the impression it affects your final score and how fast you get into the academy? is it just pass or fail?

I have a weighted vest but forgot how heavy I need to set it, is it 75 or 100. Thanks for the help.
    Pass or fail. Thats it. Training with 75 is good. I started lower and worked myself up. You can look up the CPAT on youtube. Lots of cardio.
    FDNY Exam 6019 List# 14XX.
    Lawsuit Victim: Completed process, cancelled academy.

FDNY Exam 2000 List# 6XX.

Forum Member

Default fyi

just passing the cpat isnt good enough... during your medical you have to pass a five minute stairclimb where your heart rate cant pass a predetermined rate... many people who pass the cpat arent in shape enough to pass this part

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 6019eligible View Post
    just passing the cpat isnt good enough... during your medical you have to pass a five minute stairclimb where your heart rate cant pass a predetermined rate... many people who pass the cpat arent in shape enough to pass this part
    Am I correct that the cpat is three minutes on the stair climber with a 75pound vest? so then at the medical you have to walk again for 5 minutes with weight, maintaning a certain heart rate? Does any one know the amount of stairs per minute and the heart rate needed.
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 05-20-2011 at 04:52 PM.

Forum Member

all this talk about the physical, i know were all excited about the propose july 1 date. but lets not put the cart before the horse.....age extension

Forum Member

Am I correct that the cpat is three minutes on the stair climber with a 75pound vest? so then at the medical you have to walk again for 5 minutes with weight, maintaning a certain heart rate? Does any one know the amount of stairs per minute and the heart rate needed.
    its 5:12 with a 50lb vest not exceeding your maximum heart rate

can someone else post the max heart rate formula, i don't have it handy...

Forum Member

Speaking of putting the cart before the horse, right now keeping 400 FF positions and companies open needs to be everybody's main focus and then appealing Garaufis decision on 6019.

Forum Member

Is the FD going to appeal the decision to use the list from 6019? Or appeal solely for the reason of refuting the original ruling that it was racist? The judge is still stalling at this point correct?
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 05-20-2011 at 08:29 PM.

Forum Member

Is the FD going to appeal the decision to use the list from 6019? Or appeal solely for the reason of refuting the original ruling that it was racist? The judge is still stalling at this point correct?
    Hiring off 6019 is still possible but prolly not if a new list is established. But, stranger things have happening with hiring off of "frozen" lists in the past. ex. in the 80's a list was frozen for 7 years because of a lawsuit and was later used. The ruling on the test wasn't that it was "racist," it was based on intentional discrimination. (only speaking on the part of the lawsuit concerning 6019). For a clear understanding of what exactly the lawsuit said was wrong with test 6019 please take the time and read up on the court transcripts or the article in the village voice, which was also a decent explanation.

Forum Member

Yeah racist was a poor word choice, I have read the articles and know about the "disparate impact". I was just curious what the cities intentions were for the appeal and you answered that.Thanks
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 05-20-2011 at 10:12 PM.

Forum Member

I think i have a minor tear on my right shoulder....the doctor said i might need to have arthoscopic surgery. Somebody told me that if BHS finds out i had surgery on my shoulder it automatically disqualifies me from getting hired? is this true?? Is this something i should hide from them, or as long as post -op my shoulder gains all its strength back I should be fine?? Anybody have this surgery done???

Forum Member

I dont know much about the sugery but i know people who get in the fd and some dont it depends i think in how long ago you had it and what your limit in movement in your the body part. someone had knee arthroscopic and no problem getting in. And you could always appeal and get your doctors say on it?? But if your on list 6019 not to much time to play with it?
    Last edited by CaptainIV; 05-21-2011 at 02:48 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Soon2beFDNY View Post
    I think i have a minor tear on my right shoulder....the doctor said i might need to have arthoscopic surgery. Somebody told me that if BHS finds out i had surgery on my shoulder it automatically disqualifies me from getting hired? is this true?? Is this something i should hide from them, or as long as post -op my shoulder gains all its strength back I should be fine?? Anybody have this surgery done???

Get the surgery done. I tore my labrum and had surgery in 03. They just Made me go on a Saturday to see one of their doctors personally to check me out to see of I was 100%. We spent more time talking about his son In the navy and helicopters than about my shoulder lol. Isn't arthoscopic surgery a pretty short recovery time anyways? You'll be fine.
    Last edited by 0311ico; 05-21-2011 at 04:14 PM.

Forum Member

yeah i think i have a torn labrum also...from reading up on my symptoms anyway. Just wanted to double check. dont want to jam myself up. captainiv i am on 6019. But i could probably go get open heart surgery and recover on time before they start to hire of that list :O) thanks for the info.

Forum Member

Last edited by FairHiringFDNY; 08-08-2011 at 11:29 PM.

Forum Member

Last year I was a part of the group that ran the "Tunnel to Towers" run. This summer, in an effort to stay in shape and keep occupied I've decided to do a bunch of different races and triathlons. I was thinking of wearing our candidate t-shirt that we wore for the Towers run for a bunch of them and I was curious if any one within the group had an issue with this. I understand we have an image to uphold and as such I obviously would do nothing to tarnish that. If anyone does have an issue with it please either pm me or post your concerns. Thanks for your time and I can't wait to be running with you guys again at the Rock.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Soon2beFDNY View Post
    yeah i think i have a torn labrum also...from reading up on my symptoms anyway. Just wanted to double check. dont want to jam myself up. captainiv i am on 6019. But i could probably go get open heart surgery and recover on time before they start to hire of that list :O) thanks for the info.
    I had shoulder surgery back in 2005. I dislocated my shoulder three times before finally having the surgery. It was called a bankhart procedure though, basically tightening of the labrum since the labrum became stretched/loose from the dislocations. Now I am three times as strong in the arm/shoulder that had the surgery (it wasn't my dominate arm). Make sure you take the PT very, very seriously after you're done. That will basically make or break you. I have a friend who ended up having the same surgery, slacked off on PT and he's still very weak in the arm.

Quote Originally Posted by 0311ico View Post
    Get the surgery done. I tore my labrum and had surgery in 03. They just Made me go on a Saturday to see one of their doctors personally to check me out to see of I was 100%. We spent more time talking about his son In the navy and helicopters than about my shoulder lol. Isn't arthoscopic surgery a pretty short recovery time anyways? You'll be fine.
    While testing for a different department, I was worried about it being an issue so I went to my original doctor, dropped $90 on one visit, and had him check me out to be sure. He said I had 100% range of motion in the arm, and was completely healed. I actually had him write a letter stating as such and still have the letter, planning to bring it to my medical, even if it ends up meaning nothing to a dr who would check me out. Even then I was still nervous because I had also heard shoulder/knee surgeries were pretty much automatic disqualifiers, especially since mine wasn't arthroscopic and I actually have a 2 inch scar on my shoulder. I knew/know I was strong enough for it not to be an issue, but wasn't sure if it would even matter. Hearing your story gives me some piece of mind, but I'll prob still be very nervous until I get the all clear (assuming I even get that far), since so much does ride on it.
    Last edited by HopefulFF; 05-21-2011 at 06:16 PM.

Thread Information