Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 552 of 618 FirstFirst ... 52452502542549550551552553554555562602 ... LastLast
Results 11,021 to 11,040 of 12347
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

Forum Member

God have mercy on the souls of the Vulcans and the Judge. I believe in Karma, and What goes around is gonna come around twice as hard on them.

You reap what you sow!

6019 Never Dying Always Breathing,, til my grave I will go down saying that.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sffdnyhopeful09 View Post
    Last year I was a part of the group that ran the "Tunnel to Towers" run. This summer, in an effort to stay in shape and keep occupied I've decided to do a bunch of different races and triathlons. I was thinking of wearing our candidate t-shirt that we wore for the Towers run for a bunch of them and I was curious if any one within the group had an issue with this. I understand we have an image to uphold and as such I obviously would do nothing to tarnish that. If anyone does have an issue with it please either pm me or post your concerns. Thanks for your time and I can't wait to be running with you guys again at the Rock.
    Can't speak for everyone but I wouldn't mind especially if you did well. I run prospect park in mine all the time.

Forum Member

it was mentioned earlier that there is an email group for the age extension, although i wont be affected i would like to be on it to keep up (if thats cool), i have sent out many letters informing people about the need for the age extension. i wonder how many people are aware of the age extension battle? its never in the news not even occcasionally the way say 6019 and garfius are (even then its not alot0 anyway what i was want to know is how do we make it a bigger issue?

Forum Member

6019AgeExtension@gmail.com I'm not one of the people involved or in charge but email and ask if you can join the email list. Out of curiousity how old are you?

Forum Member

thanks man , iam gonna email them rite away, iam a 27 year old vet, i know rite and wrong and the age limit is wrong

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    I had shoulder surgery back in 2005. I dislocated my shoulder three times before finally having the surgery. It was called a bankhart procedure though, basically tightening of the labrum since the labrum became stretched/loose from the dislocations.
    I had this same surgery (Bankhart) back in 98. I have a 3 inch scar on my right shoulder. When I went for my FD medical the dr saw it and asked about it. I told him the truth and he ran me through a bunch of tests to see if my arm was strong enough. They did a separate x-ray on my shoulder and required a letter from the dr who did the surgery stating what was done and what my range of motion was etc. It was a small inconvenience, but I got on the job. DO NOT LIE TO THEM. If they find out you will be disqualified. I have heard that if you have any type of hardware in your body (screws, pins, etc.) you cannot get on the job, however I also know guys who got on the job with pins too. So basically its a crap shoot.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Takethedoor174 View Post
    I had this same surgery (Bankhart) back in 98. I have a 3 inch scar on my right shoulder. When I went for my FD medical the dr saw it and asked about it. I told him the truth and he ran me through a bunch of tests to see if my arm was strong enough. They did a separate x-ray on my shoulder and required a letter from the dr who did the surgery stating what was done and what my range of motion was etc. It was a small inconvenience, but I got on the job. DO NOT LIE TO THEM. If they find out you will be disqualified. I have heard that if you have any type of hardware in your body (screws, pins, etc.) you cannot get on the job, however I also know guys who got on the job with pins too. So basically its a crap shoot.
    This is good news. I had also heard the screws & pins were automatic disqualifiers, albeit never from someone with authority in the matter. I'm thinking when I went for a check up with the dr who performed the surgery I went through the same tests you did with the FDNY. Did they put your arm behind your back and ask you to push back on their hand or something like that? Then out to your sides?

IF I'm even lucky enough to make it to this stage I'll be sure to bring the letter I've gotten already and be upfront about it. I was worried about them not even bothering to check out the shoulder once they heard what the surgery was. Thanks for the info!

Forum Member

The recruiting office just called me to make sure I was still interested and tell me about the July filing period. Sounds like it's really gonna happen.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    The recruiting office just called me to make sure I was still interested and tell me about the July filing period. Sounds like it's really gonna happen.
    I called the FDNY recruitment line, figured it wouldn't hurt to hear some good news twice, and of course, the guy told me "we don't know", and couldn't say anything, either way, about a test. Funny how some one from the office would take the initiative to call people about the exam, but when someone calls them they have no information.

btw I'm not disputing what you said at all. re-reading before I posted I see it could come off that way.

Forum Member

Well I called the regular recruitment number and a woman told me that as far as they know its July. She sounded like she wanted to be clear that it wasn't definate. so I guess them calling me doesn't mean much.
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 05-23-2011 at 02:20 PM.

Forum Member

Default Age Requirement Bill

**FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE**
    March 24, 2011
    ______________________________ ____________

City Council to Vote on FDNY Age Requirement Bill

May 24, 2011, New York, New York – After candidates who took a 2007 FDNY exam were negatively affected by a court injunction, City Council Speaker Christine C. Quinn, Council Member Elizabeth Crowley, Chair of the Fire and Criminal Justice Services Committee, and Chair of the Public Safety Committee Peter Vallone, announced today that a hearing on a bill to address this matter will take place on Wednesday, May 25, at 9:30 a.m.

This hearing will consider Proposed Int. No. 450-A, a bill that would extend the age at which a candidate could apply to take the FDNY exam from 29 to 35. This would be for one time only and for candidates who either took the FDNY entrance exam or could not be appointed from prior eligible lists, including special military lists because the lists could not be used in whole or in part due to litigation. The legislation is expected to come to a full Council vote at this Thursday's stated meeting.

"There are men and women who want to give back to the City by working as one of our Bravest," said Speaker Quinn. "Through no fault of their own they are in jeopardy of losing that opportunity because of the current age requirements and the fact that the exam they took isn't being used. This bill would right that wrong and allow those candidates who still want to be part of the FDNY to take the next exam. I want to thank Chair Elizabeth Crowley and Public Safety Chair Peter Vallone for their leadership on this issue."

"The FDNY is the heart and soul of this city and to prevent those who want to join the Department simply because the test was invalidated by a Court is unjust," said Elizabeth Crowley, Chair of the Fire and Criminal Justice Services Committee. "Extending the age is the fairest way to deal with this unfortunate series of events. I want to thank the Speaker for her support on this important issue."

"These candidates worked hard and scored at the top of the test but now, because of this judge, they will never get a chance at their life's dream without this legislation," said Council Member Peter F. Vallone, Jr.

###

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BK204NYC View Post
    **FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE**
    March 24, 2011
    ______________________________ ____________

City Council to Vote on FDNY Age Requirement Bill

May 24, 2011, New York, New York – After candidates who took a 2007 FDNY exam were negatively affected by a court injunction, City Council Speaker Christine C. Quinn, Council Member Elizabeth Crowley, Chair of the Fire and Criminal Justice Services Committee, and Chair of the Public Safety Committee Peter Vallone, announced today that a hearing on a bill to address this matter will take place on Wednesday, May 25, at 9:30 a.m.

This hearing will consider Proposed Int. No. 450-A, a bill that would extend the age at which a candidate could apply to take the FDNY exam from 29 to 35. This would be for one time only and for candidates who either took the FDNY entrance exam or could not be appointed from prior eligible lists, including special military lists because the lists could not be used in whole or in part due to litigation. The legislation is expected to come to a full Council vote at this Thursday's stated meeting.

"There are men and women who want to give back to the City by working as one of our Bravest," said Speaker Quinn. "Through no fault of their own they are in jeopardy of losing that opportunity because of the current age requirements and the fact that the exam they took isn't being used. This bill would right that wrong and allow those candidates who still want to be part of the FDNY to take the next exam. I want to thank Chair Elizabeth Crowley and Public Safety Chair Peter Vallone for their leadership on this issue."

"The FDNY is the heart and soul of this city and to prevent those who want to join the Department simply because the test was invalidated by a Court is unjust," said Elizabeth Crowley, Chair of the Fire and Criminal Justice Services Committee. "Extending the age is the fairest way to deal with this unfortunate series of events. I want to thank the Speaker for her support on this important issue."

"These candidates worked hard and scored at the top of the test but now, because of this judge, they will never get a chance at their life's dream without this legislation," said Council Member Peter F. Vallone, Jr.

###
    Where did you find this? I found the hearing date on the council site but the legislation I'm seeing is vague concerning the fact that the bill would be only for candidates who took the exam.

Forum Member

I think they were clear, the legislation is one time only, and open to those who have already taken the last test, or those prior tests. I think this is a great step in the right direction for our cause. I have military time, and those of us with that are allowed a little leeway on the age, but still, everyone wasted years waiting on something that never was utilized. Let's hope this passes! Hoooooaaaahhhhhh!

Forum Member

I actually meant the legislation I'm seeing on the council's site is vague. You're right, what was posted is clear, but all along they have been saying it would be an age extension for all not just those that took 6019. That's why I find this to be strange that all of a sudden its just for 6019 candidates and special lists. Which I'm all for by the way. Why should somebody who had the opportunity to take 6019 and didn't, all of a sudden be given a second chance to take it now when four years ago he/she could have and didn't.
    Last edited by GIMMEFIRE600; 05-24-2011 at 05:01 PM.

Forum Member

What prior tests? the ones before 6019.
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 05-24-2011 at 05:06 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    What prior tests? the ones before 6019
    Yeah thats another thing thats not clear. Prior list, other than 6019 and certain special lists, were used "in whole" as the release phrases it.

Forum Member

well I guess we will know tommorow. I just hope the filling dates sticks and I will make the cuttoff. Congrats to you guys on 6019, you deserve it.

Forum Member

Default Press Release for Age Extension hearing

The council and those involved in the legislation probably made the decision to change the bill, the version on the council website is still the original version of the bill, but they obviously did make changes to it from the sounds of the press release.

A few candidates received calls from council member crowley this morning telling us about this, with the press release shortly after. This press release was emailed to a few candidates by Quinn's office and emailed out to the entire age extension email list from there, and someone posted it here.

The bill covers anyone who took the 2007 exam from the looks of it (6019 & promo) and it sounds like they have also included special military lists, which is great. A few candidates will be testifying tomorrow, and we hope others will show up in support. An email will go out later tonight with any remaining details, but the hearing information is now posted on the council calendar, which it wasn't this morning when the original emails went out.

I hope we get decent turnout from candidates for tomorrow, but everyone understands this is very last minute so I'm sure they will understand if we only have a few there. So far I know of 5 who are definitely going.

Forum Member

First great news in years! I dont pray too often but I will be tonight.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMEFIRE600 View Post
    Why should somebody who had the opportunity to take 6019 and didn't, all of a sudden be given a second chance to take it now when four years ago he/she could have and didn't.
    exactly bro. lets get this darn job already. I have to work tomorrow, but show support if you can. this is a big step for us.
    Last edited by fdny101ABN; 05-24-2011 at 06:21 PM.

Thread Information