Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 554 of 618 FirstFirst ... 54454504544551552553554555556557564604 ... LastLast
Results 11,061 to 11,080 of 12347
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

Forum Member

The bill is not looking to raise the age limit, but instead are looking to give a one time pass to those who took including military the last oc exam and the handful left from the promo exam in 07.
    So if I understand this correctly if your in ems but only took exam 6019 not the promo then you only eligible to take next oc exam but too old for next promo cause you werent eligible yet for promo in 07. Not to mention the promo filing in 09 that was cancelled; no leway on that I guess. Talk about getting F*#k by your fdny employer. SUCH BS!!!!! Sorry guys, just had to vent.

Forum Member

arent promo exams given at the same time as the open competitive? I was under the assumption it's the same exam with a different # to separate OC from promo? So wouldn't there be another promo exam coming in December (if the next OC is in December, that is)?

Forum Member

Default age extension

From the NYC council website.

. This bill will temporarily increase the maximum filing age to include those applicants that have not passed their 36th birthday at the time of filing their new application. However, the extension will only be available for certain individuals who have been affected by pending litigation and only for the next open competitive exam or promotion exam. Covered individuals are those who (i) could not be appointed from an eligible list for the position of firefighter, including but not limited to a special military eligible list, established before the effective date of this local law because such list could not be used in whole or in part by the fire department due to litigation or (ii) took a civil service examination for the position of firefighter in the five years preceding the effective date of this local law. Section 1 of the bill concludes by providing that no person who qualifies under this local law shall be disqualified from membership in the department on the basis of exceeding such maximum age requirement because of having passed his or her thirty-sixth birthday subsequent to the filing of his or her application.

Be it enacted by the Council as follows:

Section 1. Notwithstanding any inconsistent provision of section 15-103 of the administrative code of the city of New York, no person shall be disqualified from membership in the fire department on the basis of exceeding the otherwise applicable maximum age requirement for the first open competitive examination for firefighter, or the first promotion examination for firefighter in the case of persons eligible to take such examination, given after the effective date of this local law if he or she has not passed his or her thirty-sixth birthday on the date of filing his or her application for the first open competitive examination for firefighter, or the first promotion examination for firefighter in the case of persons eligible to take such examination, given after the effective date of this local law and he or she either (i) could not be appointed from an eligible list for the position of firefighter, including but not limited to a special military eligible list, established before the effective date of this local law because such list could not be used in whole or in part by the fire department due to litigation or (ii) took a civil service examination for the position of firefighter in the five years preceding the effective date of this local law. No person who qualifies under this local law shall be disqualified from membership in the department on the basis of exceeding such maximum age requirement because of having passed his or her thirty-sixth birthday subsequent to the filing of his or her application.
    § 2. This local law shall take effect immediately.
    RC 1:10 p.m.
    LS#s 1709 and 1711
    5/24/11

Forum Member

Default firehouse closings

a little good news in the firehouse closings possibly. This morning a ladder company 161 i believe in coney island, which is slated to close, saved a 20 yo man's life trapped in his apt in a fire. There was a rally at a firehouse in parkslope that is slated to close as well, and they used this rescue as an example as to why firehouses cant close. Brooklyn borough president Marty Markowitz was at the rally and spoke about it. 1010 wins has been airing the story all day at around the forty minute mark of every hour.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    arent promo exams given at the same time as the open competitive? I was under the assumption it's the same exam with a different # to separate OC from promo? So wouldn't there be another promo exam coming in December (if the next OC is in December, that is)?
    Correct, same test , same time, just different exam numbers. Promo are usually evey 2 yrs,oc usually 4.
    Last edited by exam6019; 05-25-2011 at 03:52 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 6019eligible View Post
    a little good news in the firehouse closings possibly. This morning a ladder company 161 i believe in coney island, which is slated to close, saved a 20 yo man's life trapped in his apt in a fire. There was a rally at a firehouse in parkslope that is slated to close as well, and they used this rescue as an example as to why firehouses cant close. Brooklyn borough president Marty Markowitz was at the rally and spoke about it. 1010 wins has been airing the story all day at around the forty minute mark of every hour.
    Thats awesome, when is the deadline on the decision to close houses, July 1?
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 05-25-2011 at 04:50 PM.

Forum Member

Default NY1 Article

City Council Expected To Approve New FDNY Exam Legislation
    By: Grace Rauh

New York’s City Council is expected to approve legislation on Thursday that will change how fire department entrance exams work after a three-year hiring freeze, but some disagree with the proposed changes.

New York’s City Council is expected to approve legislation today that will change how fire department entrance exams work after a three-year hiring freeze. Responses have been mixed. NY1’s Grace Rauh filed the following report.

Dion Hines took the fire department's entrance exam in 2007 just a few days before he turned 29, the maximum age for firefighter eligibility. After earning a top score, a federal judge ruled that the test he took discriminated against black and Hispanic applicants, and the result was nullified.

“To have it taken away just wasn't a good feeling, especially after I earned my chance to become a firefighter,” said Hines.

The fire department hasn’t made any new hires in three years. The judge banned any hiring until the city agrees to adopt a new approach approved by the court.

In the meantime, thousands of applicants, Hines included, have aged out of the eligibility requirements.

Candidates must be 29-years-old or younger when they apply to be firefighters. The City Council is looking to raise the age limit to 35 as a one-time reprieve for those affected by the court battle.

“They are really fighting to get the job,” said City Council Speaker Christine Quinn. “That is the kind of person you want running into a building when your life's at risk.”

There's no resolution yet in the discrimination case, but the city seems to be preparing for the possibility that a new entrance exam will be administered later this year.

However, some view the age limit as a necessary component of the exam.

“It's completely unacceptable,” said Stephen Cassidy, president of the Uniformed Firefighters Association. “They don't realize how difficult and physically demanding firefighting is. And by them saying that it's okay to raise it for just even one exam shows they don't understand.”

At this point, though, the bill's passage seems all but assured. An aide to Mayor Michael Bloomberg said he supports it.

The full City Council is expected to approve the legislation on Thursday.

Wow, I'm a little surprised by Cassidy's stance. I wonder if hes aware its only for people that took 6019 or are on special lists. Then again if you were in his shoes you wouldn't wanna be applauding something the mayor supports when hes trying to close firehouses.
    Last edited by GIMMEFIRE600; 05-26-2011 at 06:33 AM.

Forum Member

Also, if you're in Cassidy's shoes and you don't know all the facts behind this legislation you're doing a **** poor job.

Forum Member

Let's hope the age extension passes today. I know the chances are very good, but you know how these past 4 years have been. I'll keep praying until we get the confirmation. Thanks to all those who are attending today. You guys are simply awesome. I wish I could be there with y'all, but my boss won't let me take any days off. But my heart is with you. Let's hope for some good news today!
    6019- was sitting at 13xx
    2000- now sitting at 18xx

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by 6019eligible View Post
    Engine 220 Rally in Park Slope is this evening, Thursday, 5/26

Details from the memo:

Community Rally To Save NYC Fire Department Engine Company 220

Thursday, May 26 at 7 PM

Outside the Firehouse
    530 11th Street (7th and 8th Ave), Brooklyn

Forum Member

if the ARMY age cutoff is now 35, I think some people, maybe most people who are physically capable, should be able to join the FDNY even at 36. We've been training and running for years now getting ready for this.

Forum Member

Default Firehouse closings

Council Member Dan Halloran will be holding a rally at Engine 306 to protest the cuts. He invites everyone who could be endangered by these cuts to attend and make their voices heard. I have attached a flier with all of the information regarding the rally. Please forward it to your friends and families! We are expecting a good turn out to support our firefighters and to let them know that we will not allow this house to be closed without a fight.

Date: Wednesday June 1st

Time: 10:30 AM

Place: Engine 306 40-18 214th Place, Bayside

Who: Council Member Dan Halloran, Fire & Criminal Justice Chair-Council Member Elizabeth Crowley, Representatives of every Fire union, Other Elected Officials, Firefighters who live and work in Northeast Queens, Dozens of community, civic and business leaders.

For more information please contact me or visit our official website at: http://council.nyc.gov/d19/html/members/home.shtml

Forum Member

Default fdny

8:49 AM
    City Council To Vote On FDNY Age Requirements At Stated Meeting
    By: NY1 News

The City Council is expected to vote on a bill that would extend the age requirement for FDNY candidates from 29 to 35. The Council also will vote on two resolutions to improve housing conditions and protect tenants.

Forum Member

EMS guys who were screwed out of the last promo should be included as well. In 2009 we filed for a promo and we got our money orders sent back and were told next filing anticipated in May 2011. This was due to the budget at the time. Now May 2011 came around and we are getting screwed by the vulcans. EMS guys need to man up and scream out for being denied a promotion. 4 years I have been busting my *** waiting. Many guys have came on since then with the same exact game plan. The promo isn't what is used to be. Its going to be super competitive now with all the guys who have joined EMS to get on. At the same time EMS can't afford to lose that many guys at once. There will have to be some kind of system implemented in regards to the promo list. Obviously high scores and medicals with take care of most of this but seniority in EMS has to play a factor. Just a thought for all the guys currently trying to get on EMS (because I know you're out there).

If the 20 houses close its going to be a wash. The senior members on right now are making so much money in OT that if they close those houses, the extra men get detailed around the city to fill a vacancy and the OT simply goes down. (Bloomberg's wish) If the OT drops significantly the senior members should want to retire otherwise they LOSE MONEY.
    Last edited by JerkAlert; 05-26-2011 at 12:58 PM.

Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by JerkAlert View Post
    EMS guys who were screwed out of the last promo should be included as well. In 2009 we filed for a promo and we got our money orders sent back and were told next filing anticipated in May 2011. This was due to the budget at the time. Now May 2011 came around and we are getting screwed by the vulcans. EMS guys need to man up and scream out for being denied a promotion. 4 years I have been busting my *** waiting. Many guys have came on since then with the same exact game plan. The promo isn't what is used to be. Its going to be super competitive now with all the guys who have joined EMS to get on. At the same time EMS can't afford to lose that many guys at once. There will have to be some kind of system implemented in regards to the promo list. Obviously high scores and medicals with take care of most of this but seniority in EMS has to play a factor. Just a thought for all the guys currently trying to get on EMS (because I know you're out there).

If the 20 houses close its going to be a wash. The senior members on right now are making so much money in OT that if they close those houses, the extra men get detailed around the city to fill a vacancy and the OT simply goes down. (Bloomberg's wish) If the OT drops significantly the senior members should want to retire otherwise they LOSE MONEY.
    Yep. Family member of mine has been working ems now for over 5 yrs and unfortuantly hes 30 now. So when he goes to file for next test,if the bill is passed, fdny is going to tell him yes you can take the entrance exam, but nope! you are too old to take promo exam,even though its the same test given at same time. Promo is nothing like it use too be . Horse sh#t !!!! Reasons why I didnt join ems.

Hopefully your not to old as well???

Forum Member

What do you mean by a wash?

Forum Member

What I meant was that a lot of guys might be retiring.

exam6019
    So your family member missed the last promo? Now he is 30? Sounds like on my partners LOL. I just turned 28. I got on EMS right after we all took 6019 so I missed the last promo. I have a year for them to open this damn filing period. Which, for all we know may not even happen. I won't believe anything until I am filling in that first bubble on the Scantron.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JerkAlert View Post
    What I meant was that a lot of guys might be retiring.

exam6019
    So your family member missed the last promo? Now he is 30? Sounds like on my partners LOL. I just turned 28. I got on EMS right after we all took 6019 so I missed the last promo. I have a year for them to open this damn filing period. Which, for all we know may not even happen. I won't believe anything until I am filling in that first bubble on the Scantron.
    Turned 30 last nov. He took 6019 only, wasnt eligible for last promo, so hes in the same boat as me and I havent worked a day in ems. Such a disgusting situation that makes no sense at all

Looks like youre save...

Forum Member

Default Great job

dnainfo.com

CITY HALL — Greg Lashaw has dreamed of being a firefighter for most of his life.

After growing up surrounded by men in uniform in Rockland County and watching them fight heroically on 9/11, Lashaw, who lives in Hell's Kitchen, signed up to take the FDNY's qualifying test when he was 24.

Almost five years later, he's still working as a doorman on the Upper East Side, locked out of his dream job by a hiring freeze following a ruling that the FDNY's test was deemed discriminatory against minority candidates.

To make matters worse, at 29, Lashaw is now too old to re-apply, according to FDNY rules.

But under new legislation the City Council is expected to pass Thursday, Lashaw could be given a second chance when hiring eventually resumes.

"It would mean the world. I've been preparing for it almost every minute for the past five years," Lashaw said.

Under current FDNY rules, applicants are barred from enrolling for the tests once they turn 29. The new legislation, introduced by City Councilman Peter Vallone Jr., would raise the age limit to 36 for those who've already taken the exam but who've been caught up in the suit.

"If we don’t pass this legislation, many people who prepared and dedicated themselves for the opportunity to become firefighters would not be able to see that goal realized through no fault of their own," said City Councilwoman Elizabeth Crowley, chair of the fire and criminal justice committee, which held a hearing on the plan Wednesday.

"If we don’t act, they’ll be too old to apply by the time the next application is open," she said.

The city is set to re-open its application pool on July 1, forcing the council to act immediately, Crowley said.

Would-be firefighters testified at a city council hearing Wednesday in favor of the legislation. (DNAinfo/Jill Colvin)The city is currently embroiled in litigation over the FDNY's hiring practices. Last January, a federal judge ruled the FDNY had intentionally discriminated against blacks for decades by using entrance exams designed to keep them out.

"New York City’s use of these examinations constitutes a pattern and practice of intentional discrimination against blacks," Judge Nicholas Garaufis had ruled in the case, brought by the Vulcan Society, the black firefighters' association,

At the time, there were about 350 black firefighters among the 11,500 in the department — a number far short of the African-American presence in other uniformed services, the judge found.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg vehemently opposed the judge's decision, blaming the shortage of black firefighters on the lack of applicants.

But the judge later ruled the city should correct the years of bias by hiring hundreds of black and Latino applicants who had missed out on jobs because of the tests.

He also barred the city from offering jobs to any of the approximately 300 firefighters who passed the exam, and mandated a hiring freeze that has now been in effect for nearly a year. The freeze has forced the city to increasingly rely on costly overtime.

The city has meanwhile rejected proposals to hire new firefighters suggested by the judge, slamming them for involving race-based quotas.

The case is still ongoing, with several motions pending, a spokeswoman for the city's Law Department said.

In the meantime, hundreds of men and women’s lives have been in limbo.

Brooklyn’s David Cargin, now 29, had qualified for a class that had been set to start in Jan. 2009, but was canceled before it began.

"Everything just fell apart," he said. "We had that chance but it was taken away from us. All we’re asking is for another opportunity to be put in our hands."

He said that, as an African American, the wait has been especially hard, since he agrees with the premise of the suit that the old test was unfair.

"It’s been very ironic because, on one hand, we’re being told we’re being discriminated against and weren’t on a level playing field with everyone else.

"But we still scored in the top percentage of everyone who tested, so it’s definitely a very unique situation for a lot of the minority candidates," he said, adding that while he wants hiring to resume, he wants it to be done right.

"The FDNY has a legacy that you’re going to be part of," he explained.

Brooklyn’s Ahyende Sandy, 30, is in the same boat.

He said he and others "put our heart and body and soul on the line," to apply for the job and want the chance to apply again.

Growing up in Crown Heights, he said, there were no black firefighters around to serve as role models and that getting another chance would be "life changing."

"I can be the person that wasn’t there for me growing up, representing firefighters in my community," he said.

Upper West Sider Rebecca Wax, now 29, also sat the test in 2007 after months of preparation and was devastated by the delay. She urged the council to support the bill.

"I want nothing more than to be a New York City firefighter," she testified. "Unless this bill is passed and passed quickly, I’ll never have another chance."

Committee members at the hearing were clearly touched.

"It’s unfair," said Upper Manhattan City Councilman Ydanis Rodriguez, who said the city is in desperate need of new firefighters to bolster its ranks.

But even if those affected by the bill are given permission to re-apply, there's still no word on when the city might hire again.

"Right now we’re still in a holding pattern," Marc LaVorgna, a spokesman for the mayor, who supports the legislation, said.

A second hearing on the bill is scheduled for Thursday at 10 a.m.

Read more: http://www.dnainfo.com/20110526/manh...#ixzz1NUBq8Uvx

Forum Member

looks like it passed
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information