Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 555 of 618 FirstFirst ... 55455505545552553554555556557558565605 ... LastLast
Results 11,081 to 11,100 of 12347
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

Forum Member

Forum Member

Exam6019 I hear ya bro. I wouldn't put it past EMS to screw us either. If you took 6019 and now work EMS you should be eligible for the age extension. You should not be screwed by the dept. you work for. That would be heartbreaking to some of the guys I'm really close with at work and I would hate to see that go down.

Forum Member

Thumbs up Stop the Dept of Social Justice. NOBAMA

Any ideas why Vallone Jr was MIA today at the vote. Lets hope and pray

that this is the start of good things happening for 6019. Keep the 20 Cos open

and then win the appeal for rank order hiring off 6019. Stay safe

Forum Member

Congrats you guys deserve it.

Forum Member

Default Age extension passed!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Keep Running View Post
    That was only the Committee vote, which allows the bill to be passed along to the council for a full vote. That full vote happened later in the day, and it was unanimous, the vote was yes all around, it PASSED!

And Vallone wasn't there because this was all so last minute he couldn't be there, he's currently out of the country.

Forum Member

Forum Member

44-0, great news. Congrats to you guys, you've worked hard for this.

Forum Member

Thumbs up The right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by StuckInLimbo View Post
    That was only the Committee vote, which allows the bill to be passed along to the council for a full vote. That full vote happened later in the day, and it was unanimous, the vote was yes all around, it PASSED!

And Vallone wasn't there because this was all so last minute he couldn't be there, he's currently out of the country.

Finally some good news for those that where screwed over. I'm not happy that I have to walk away from such a high list number. But at this point, this little piece of bread tastes like prime rib. Time to dust of the weight vest lady's and gents. I'll tell you one thing, the next class that goes in will be the most focused proby class EVER after all this bull....
    Last edited by Mega456; 05-27-2011 at 04:21 AM.
    FDNY Canidate - 6019

Forum Member

Only 34 more days until it's time to file.

Forum Member

City Council makes amends, extends firefighter age from 29 to 35
    BY Reuven Blau
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Friday, May 27th 2011, 4:00 AM

The City Council passed a bill Thursday extending the age limit for hopeful firefighter candidates who have been stymied by an ongoing legal battle over the entry exams.

The extension - from age 29 to 35 - would allow job-seekers who took the 2007 test to remain eligible for the next test. The last firefighter exam was administered in 2007, but the results were invalidated by a federal judge who ruled that it discriminated against African-American and Hispanic candidates.

"This rectified a wrong that the court inadvertently created," said Council Speaker Christine Quinn.

The FDNY plans to begin accepting applications for a new exam on July 1, the city said.

The Council also passed a resolution supporting greater oversight of bonus points granted to firefighter candidates living in the city.

Currently, city residents get an added five points, but many are suspected of lying about where they actually live.

The Council's proposed change would require candidates to submit proof that they graduated from a city high school in hopes of bolstering minority applicants' chances of getting on the job.

The measure is supported by the Vulcan Society, a black firefighters group.

The city needs permission from state lawmakers to enact such a rule change.

"We live in one of the largest and most diverse cities in the world, yet the racial makeup of our Fire Department hovers around 10% people of color," said Queens Councilman Leroy Comrie.

He noted that the minority makeup of the Los Angeles firefighter force is more than 44%.

Forum Member

I don't remember if anyone confirmed this, does a change to the minimum requirements to get residency points require the committee vote & then city council vote?

Forum Member

Last edited by FairHiringFDNY; 08-08-2011 at 11:28 PM.

Forum Member

You got a pulse? You're hired!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FairHiringFDNY View Post
    It requires the state to allow the city to change civil service law. We got to fight this bull**** tooth and nail. Another way they want to shut the job down and turn it into EMS or pd. No standards and take what you get.
    Sadly, I have no idea how that process works. Does the city send a request to the state? Is there a vote at state level?

Forum Member

When they mention city schools does this mean Public Schools only or what about private schools? Are they just trying to screw people who grew up let say New Jersey and went to a Jersey highschool?

Forum Member

theres better ways to prove that you live in the city than graduating from a city hs....ho about a lease? maybe where your car insurance goes?credit card goes, bank statement, postal address? all these things are perfect proof of residency all over america. noone asks where you graduted from high school when trying to find out where you live. graduating from high school is a great accoplishment and one that deserves alot of credit but not 5 points (same given to vets) on a civil service test. they need more thorow investigations and you should be able to supply them with numerous resources that say you live within the city limits

excuse my spelling and grammar i didnt go to a city high school, and therefore would make a terrible firefighter

Forum Member

i know its not possible in fdny cause the size of th dept but in LA investigators show up on your doorstep to ask you questions... thats how it should be

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by myles8683 View Post
    theres better ways to prove that you live in the city than graduating from a city hs....ho about a lease? maybe where your car insurance goes?credit card goes, bank statement, postal address? all these things are perfect proof of residency all over america. noone asks where you graduted from high school when trying to find out where you live. graduating from high school is a great accoplishment and one that deserves alot of credit but not 5 points (same given to vets) on a civil service test. they need more thorow investigations and you should be able to supply them with numerous resources that say you live within the city limits

excuse my spelling and grammar i didnt go to a city high school, and therefore would make a terrible firefighter
    It's a flawed idea, but they wouldn't be giving you points for simply graduating from HS. They're trying to find a criteria that you can't fake, or alter to make it look like you're a resident. IMO, adding a few years prior to the exam as well as after the exam would be a smart way to go.

Forum Member

thats a good idea, i think the high school thing dosent have a real shot casue there is so many holes in it. just cuz you graduated from a city high scchool dosent mean you live in the city.

Forum Member

Unfortunately, its not about proving residency. Its about the fact that in the burbs there are less minorities, granted some suburbanites will have diplomas from nyc high schools, most people(especially minorities) don't leave the city to attend high school. Its about giving minorities more bonus points than whites to hopefully(for the city) move them up the list.

Thread Information