Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 557 of 618 FirstFirst ... 57457507547554555556557558559560567607 ... LastLast
Results 11,121 to 11,140 of 12347
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Fdny List 6019

Quote Originally Posted by StuckInLimbo View Post
    You could be right, when I saw the description of the bill yesterday it said something that made it sound like the residency credit was being tightened and I was in a rush when i read the actual bill the first time today. But just because the council passed this doesn't mean the state will. And it goes nowhere without the state passing it, and even then it doesnt mean enough members of the council would approve a high school credit bill that comes after that, nor do I think they could get it done quickly.

It took them 6 months from bill introduction to pass the age extension, and that was a no brainer. Seems like they had to use the age extension as a bargaining chip just to get this stupid high school credit resolution passed...doesn't sound like they've got enough support for much.
    Since Jan '09 almost without exception, the exact opposite of what I wanted and thought should/would happen has happened. So until the announcement comes out, opens and closes WITHOUT this credit, I wont be completely comfortable
    I should have cleaned up the chili.....why didn't I clean up the chili!!!!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 0311ico View Post
    i just like watching people panic when they get their *** chewed lol! To me that's worth the price of admission. I honestly hope the next class has plenty hard chargers but we need a handful of turds for entertainment purposes only. Fdnyabn101 you know what i'm talking about. I'll bet the vets
    will have the false motivation seeping through their pores by at least week 4. I say we get a pool going. Unless the false motivation is only a marine corps thing lol

oohh rahh...

Forum Member

False motivation is better than none at all

Forum Member

Assuming the residency requirement stays the same, I have the following questions:

How does it work? If I move to New York City on Tuesday and the test is on Wednesday, am I resident as of the test date? Or is there a minimum length of time?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNYPD View Post
    Assuming the residency requirement stays the same, I have the following questions:

How does it work? If I move to New York City on Tuesday and the test is on Wednesday, am I resident as of the test date? Or is there a minimum length of time?
    Check the old application that is on the website for reference, it explains the requirements

Forum Member

How many miles are you guys running at time? Thanks
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 05-30-2011 at 07:16 PM.

Forum Member

Been putting in 8 a day now that its warm finally and the days I lift heavy I do shorter fast runs like 4 miles at a 6 min pace. Thats when my back isn't having spasms of course. FML.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fdny101ABN View Post
    bro' c'mon, really? Army guys are just as good at telling themselves that its hot out when they are starting to get hypothermia. I just think its a military thing. but the marines do things on sort of another level than us. we should have a army/marines pool??? or is that anti-cohesion??
    Oh I definitely know it's a military service wide thing lol! I was actually having a couple of beers with a grunt from the 101st at a PTSD benefit concert who was in northeast afghan and we bitched about everything from incompetent staff NCOs and senior officers to **** tubes lol. I was always told by my seniors, "if your Marines aren't bitching, than there's something wrong"

Forum Member

thats the truth isn't it. i hung out yesterday with two marines, one was in vietnam, earned the navy cross for saving his buddy while taking direct fire, and he took out three nva regulars with the butt of a 45 pistol. the other guy just got home from a tour in afghanistan and ets'd from the marines. he misses it. I do too at times, but i prefer life on the outside of the military. Ptsd is no joke by the way. i served in the 101, but the 3/6 devil dogs were right alongside us for about half my deployment. good riflemen. Thanks for your service brother.

Forum Member

I'm gonna start running in the mornings on my non weightlifting days. The gym that I train at is a black iron gym and has no stair mill. I'm gonna have to go to another gym specifically for stair training, I'm hoping the running will be good enough for now. I am aIming for 2-4 miles of running.
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 05-31-2011 at 11:00 PM.

Forum Member

Default Just came across this

From NPR...

Chicago Fire Department Ordered To Hire Blacks Who Alleged Discrimination
    Categories: Legal
    02:20 pm

May 13, 2011

by MARK MEMMOTT

The Chicago Fire Department was told by a federal appeals court today that it must hire 111 African-Americans who successfully argued that they were discriminated against in 1995.

And, the Chicago Sun-Times writes, the court ordered that "tens of millions of dollars" in damages be paid to 6,000 other blacks.

At issue, as we wrote a year ago, was the way the city handled a firefighters' entrance exam. The plaintiffs argued, the Sun-Times reports, that the test did not adequately measure the applicants' abilities and that the scoring system made it far more likely that white applicants would be hired.

Last year, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled unanimously that the plaintiffs' had not waited too long to bring their suit and sent the case back down to the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals. Today, that court handed down its decision.

And a second article...

The Chicago Fire Department must hire 111 bypassed black firefighter candidates — and distribute “tens of millions of dollars” in damages to 6,000 others who will never get that chance — a federal appeals court ruled Friday, upholding a landmark ruling.

Last year, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled, in a 9-to-0 decision, that, contrary to the city’s contention, African-American candidates hadn’t waited too long before filing a lawsuit that accused the city of discriminating against them for the way it handled a 1995 firefighter’s entrance exam.

On Friday, the Seventh U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals affirmed that ruling and sent the case back to the trial court to implement what it called the “hiring remedy” the city has been stalling.

Plaintiffs’ attorney Joshua Karsh said the decision means Chicago must hire 111 African-American firefighters and adjust their pensions as if they had been on the job since 1995. Six-thousand others will share “tens of millions of dollars” in damages, Karsh said.

“We won last June 9-to-0, which is unusual in a civil rights case,” Karsh said. “We then had the city raise a dispute on what the Supreme Court’s opinion means. The Seventh Circuit agreed with us that hiring must now take place.

“The city gave a test back in 1995 that did not measure the abillity to be a firefighter. It made it more than six times more likely that white applicants would be hired rather than African-Americans with no job-related justification. Nothing about getting a high score on that test predicted anything about whether you’d be a superior firefighter.”

When results from the 1995 entrance exam were disappointing for minorities, the city established a cutoff score of 89 and hired randomly from the top 1,800 “well-qualified” candidates.

In 2005, a federal judge ruled that the city’s decision had the effect of perpetuating the predominantly white status quo, since 78 percent of those ‘’well-qualified’’ candidates were white.

Although the city has no choice but to start hiring black firefighters, outgoing Corporation Counsel Mara Georges called Friday’s ruling a “partial win” for the city because it will reduce the amount of damages the city must pay to roughly $30 million.

“Our position was affirmed, in part, reducing one group of class members,” Georges said. “It’s 21 fewer people, which does reduce the damages.

“We’re pleased that it was a partial victory, and we’re analyzing the rest of the decision to make a determination as to how we should proceed.”

One of those expected to be vying for the coveted 111 jobs is Handy Johnson, a 49-year-old personal trainer whose dream of becoming a Chicago firefighter was put off for so long that he’s nowy 10 years above the city’s age limit for new firefighter hires of 38 years old. Thats age limit won’t apply to the 111 new hires because the discrimination occurred before the cutoff was established.

That means Johnson has a chance, provided he’s lucky enough to be among those chosen randomly and physically fit enough to perform the strenuous job.

Johnson could not immediately be reached for comment Friday. But he still wants to be a firefighter, he said in an interview ater last year’s Supreme Court ruling.

“I’m still in excellent shape,” Johnson said. “If they pick me, I should be given that chance. I do personal training. I’m a skill development coach for basketball and body conditioning. It‘s a physically demanding job. I know I can do the job.

“I took that test wanting to have a job where I could give back to my community and establish a family tradition for my four sons. It was the job of a lifetime, but I was never given that chance. It was a huge slap in the face. Now, I feel a hundred pounds lighter. It feels like when you know you have all the odds stacked against you, but, in the end, God makes sure the righteous prevail.”

Friday’s ruling exacerbates a city budget crisis that Mayor-elect Rahm Emanuel, who will be sworn in on Monday, will inherit from Mayor Daley.

MembersZone Subscriber

I currently live out west and I have never been back east. I am 28 years old and will be 29 on December 29th of this year and I have never been in the military. I do understand that the pay and living conditions don't quite compare to where I'm from, but that is the least of my worries. The fact that am not a resident and have never been in the military, would it be worth my time, money and effort to go through the process if it opens on July 1st?

Thank you,

Robert

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nnfra200302 View Post
    i currently live out west and i have never been back east. I am 28 years old and will be 29 on december 29th of this year and i have never been in the military. I do understand that the pay and living conditions don't quite compare to where i'm from, but that is the least of my worries. The fact that am not a resident and have never been in the military, would it be worth my time, money and effort to go through the process if it opens on july 1st?

Thank you,

robert
    depends how bad you want the job... Sounds to me you probably shouldnt bother.

Forum Member

Amen..more spots available for those that do..

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Keep Running View Post
    depends how bad you want the job... Sounds to me you probably shouldnt bother.
    Well it sounds like he's curious if they usually make it far enough down the list to hire people who score in the mid 90s.
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 06-02-2011 at 01:12 PM.

Forum Member

Default HS points

Double Post
    Last edited by GIMMEFIRE600; 06-02-2011 at 01:23 PM.

Forum Member

Default HS points

yournabe.com

City Hall last week backed a bill sponsored by City Councilman Leroy Comrie (D-St. Albans) to bring more diversity to New York’s Bravest.

The full Council passed Legislation No. 647-A last Thursday that calls for a resolution that would push the state Legislature to introduce a measure to give more credit to FDNY applicants who are New York City residents with high school diplomas or equivalents.

Such a law would give inner-city minorities an advantage in becoming firefighters, according to Comrie. The force is currently made up of 87 percent whites and the councilman said those numbers need to be changed.

It is my hope that Albany will move with all deliberate speed to allow our city to address one of the most embarrassing statistics regarding its workforce,” he said in a statement.

The FDNY said it was “exploring adjustments to the residency requirements for new applicants” in a statement.

Under the bill, New York City high school graduates and city GED recipients would receive five credit points for their test to be firefighters. Currently the Fire Department only gives extra points to city residents, regardless of their academic background.

Comrie said drives to recruit more minorities were made in the 1990s, but that still did not do anything to make the FDNY more diverse. The FDNY is made up of 3.8 percent black, 7.8 percent Hispanic and 0.9 percent Asian, compared to the city’s population from the 2000 census which is 27 percent black, 27 percent Hispanic and 10 percent Asian, according to the councilman.

That year’s census data did not differentiate between white and black Latino members. Comrie added that the number of black firefighters has declined nearly 6 percent over the last two decades.

“We live in the largest city and one of the most diverse cities in the world, yet the racial makeup of our Fire Department hovers around 10 percent minorities. In major cities like Los Angeles, the fire department minority makeup is more than 44 percent,” he said.

A spokesman for the FDNY said its graduating class in 2008 was the most diverse class hired by the department.

Aside from making the force more diverse, Comrie said the added points would help the FDNY save lives more efficiently.

“Living in New York City and attending high school within the five boroughs helps individuals familiarize themselves with, among other things, the city’s neighborhoods, topography, infrastructure and layout,” he said.

Councilman James Sanders (D-Laurelton), who chairs the Council’s Civil Service and Labor Committee, agreed and also pushed for the state to make the changes to the test.

“The department is 87 percent white, yet over 60 percent of New Yorkers are black, Latino or Asian,” he said in a statement. “How could such an important institution as the FDNY so poorly mirror New York’s cultural identity?”

Forum Member

I suppose the corrections officers statistics regarding workforce is not an embarrassment? lol

Forum Member

Aside from making the force more diverse, Comrie said the added points would help the FDNY save lives more efficiently.

How does having people having a NYC diploma or GED make them save lives more efficiently?? This guy is out of his mind.

Forum Member

Default wtf

abcdefghijk
    Last edited by JCff55; 07-06-2011 at 10:37 AM.

Thread Information